Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I found these storyboards from a guy from Twitter. I don't know the actual source of this. I assume this is from the BTS footage that was included in the special features.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool!  So glad that the movie is being released in 2022 instead of 2021 since that would give the crew more time to develop the story and the characters.

44 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Cool!  So glad that the movie is being released in 2022 instead of 2021 since that would give the crew more time to develop the story and the characters.

To be honest, I don't think 2021 was ever an option even if there was no pandemic. It is hard to churn out a film in essentially a year and a half just with production and shooting. Then they need a few months to properly promote the film. Even then, the studio would probably want a cool down period between sequels. 

That being said, the writers probably had general story ideas in their head while they made the first one in the case they were able to make a sequel. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm worried that the 2nd Sonic movie won't come out in theaters because the pandemic is killing them off forcing the movie companies to release their films on demand. Also I don't think the pandemic will end by 2022. We could be living with this for much longer than that if we don't get a vaccine soon. 

I wonder if Paramount can get the rights to the Crush 40 songs to use in their films.  It would be great hearing some songs from the Sonic Adventure era in these movies!

In addition to the post above, I don't think many chain movie theaters will go out of business in 2021. The video on demand thing worked for a few movies (mostly aimed for kids), but many studios like Marvel or Disney are purposely delaying their films instead of going ahead and releasing their films (Hamilton being an exception). Many studios want the release of a film to be a pop culture event. Dropping a film on Amazon doesn't generate as much buzz as creating a theater event where people feel pressured to know what the talk is about. Like with the after credit scene with Tails.

As long as a vaccine is in sight, and people do their due diligence regarding social distancing, I don't think that by 2022 that on-demand movies will be the main model for the foreseeable future. So keep your head up!

So, I have this now as a result of trying to make a shitpost and I thought might as well share it.

Here's a voiceover-less version of the trailer. It's the international theatrical cut so it's shorter than the regular one.

There's a link in the replies for an mp4, a prores mov, and a prores mov with 5.1 surround sound.

The last two are still currently uploading due to their very large size so give it a few hours.

With that being said, here's the shitpost in question:

Spoiler

So, I found these. There is a Chinese version of the Sonic movie costume that was used to promote the Chinese release of the movie.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Yu Suzuki, who is the creator of the Shenmue games just watched the movie. He like it and say that it was interesting.:

• Thumbs Up 2

Found more pictures of the Chinese Sonic movie costume. Interestingly, I noticed that they also used the costume that was used in US, Japan, Canada, and Mexico.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Today, the Sonic movie had just released in China. So, we will see how the movie perform there.

Also, the writer Patrick Casey and Lee Majdoub is encouraging Twitter users in China (Although Twitter is banned there. They probably used a vpn to get around it.) to watch the movie.:

Here are some posters.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the results are in. Unfortunately, it look like the movie isn't doing so hot in China.:

However, fortunately, despite the terrible performance there, it's received good reviews there.:

19 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, the results are in. Unfortunately, it look like the movie isn't doing so hot in China.:

However, fortunately, despite the terrible performance there, it's received good reviews there.:

Isn't it because of the coronavirus going on in China?  Also, Sonic had a long history of not doing well in Japan and other markets other than the U.S.

The movie has been out so long in other areas of the world, is it possible that it’s long been pirated in China so a few will have already seen it through other means, I wonder?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I think this has little to do with it taking place in real life America. A lot of franchises dealing with American culture do well in Japan and other East Asian countries. I have lived in Japan a couple of times and trust me when I say that many Japanese people are fans of Hollywood and Americanish movies. In fact, I would argue they are more open to films from other cultures around the world than the other way around. The subtitle barrier wasn't never really a thing there. 

Additionally, Coronavirus was still a thing in Japan as well when the movie came out (and still is). Not as bad as the US yes, but still in the period where the government didn't want to open the flood gates and a lot of people aren't trying to push it. Theaters were still spreading out people. Then Ghibli decided to replay their films (which are expensive to own on DVD) which took the top spots.

I think it has to do with the virus combined with smaller popularity of Sonic. I think if the virus wasn't a thing and they could do even more continuous marketing leading up to the film, it could have actually succeeded. I think people would be open to Sonic, but a lot of people just don't know about the franchise in Japan. 

I know they did marketing but for Sonic to break through they would have to do a lot. I hope Japan gets another chance. It is hard for sequels to do well if nobody saw the original.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, prowerboy26 said:

Yeah I think this has little to do with it taking place in real life America. A lot of franchises dealing with American culture do well in Japan and other East Asian countries. I have lived in Japan a couple of times and trust me when I say that many Japanese people are fans of Hollywood and Americanish movies. In fact, I would argue they are more open to films from other cultures around the world than the other way around. The subtitle barrier wasn't never really a thing there. 

Additionally, Coronavirus was still a thing in Japan as well when the movie came out (and still is). Not as bad as the US yes, but still in the period where the government didn't want to open the flood gates and a lot of people aren't trying to push it. Theaters were still spreading out people. Then Ghibli decided to replay their films (which are expensive to own on DVD) which took the top spots.

I think it has to do with the virus combined with smaller popularity of Sonic. I think if the virus wasn't a thing and they could do even more continuous marketing leading up to the film, it could have actually succeeded. I think people would be open to Sonic, but a lot of people just don't know about the franchise in Japan. 

I know they did marketing but for Sonic to break through they would have to do a lot. I hope Japan gets another chance. It is hard for sequels to do well if nobody saw the original.

I agree with this.  I think that the virus is a big factor in why the movie isn't doing so well in China (at the moment).  When Doolittle was released, this was before the virus came along, so it did better in the numbers.  Also, there's a possibility that people posting the movie online while it was still in theaters in February might have caused some people to not watch the movie because they already watched the movie online.

I do have a question: if a movie doesn't do well internationally, will that affect the movie's chances of having a sequel or will this movie still have a sequel anyway because it made back its budget?

One thing that has really bugged me about the film is why did Pretzel lady's Sister hate Tom so much? Has it ever been explained? It just seems and odd thing in the film.

7 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

One thing that has really bugged me about the film is why did Pretzel lady's Sister hate Tom so much? Has it ever been explained? It just seems and odd thing in the film.

I don't think it was ever meant to go deeper than a means to deliver some humor or act as antagonistic contrast to Maddie's unwavering support. 

If you want an in-universe explanation, judging by the fact that she's a single mother and lives in a pretty expensive area in the country, she's probably just entitled and is biased against serious relationships in general and towards independence (the strong independent woman who don't need no man trope); sounds like her previous partner wasn't good to her and she's bitter and wants to spare her sister the grief. 

...why'd you make me think this hard about the Sonic Movie 

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I don't think it was ever meant to go deeper than a means to deliver some humor or act as antagonistic contrast to Maddie's unwavering support. 

If you want an in-universe explanation, judging by the fact that she's a single mother and lives in a pretty expensive area in the country, she's probably just entitled and is biased against serious relationships in general and towards independence (the strong independent woman who don't need no man trope); sounds like her previous partner wasn't good to her and she's bitter and wants to spare her sister the grief. 

...why'd you make me think this hard about the Sonic Movie 

That had crossed my mind but I just thought it was such a strange thing to have in the film that has little or no consequence.

I'm watching the movie as we speak and it just struck me as odd.

Like you say I don't think we are meant to overthink it which we/I have .😂

Yeah I think it is just one of those in-laws joke/situations. Usually it is the parents in the troupe, but even in real life siblings are often not fully on board initially. In this case it could just be over protectiveness, or maybe she just knows small personality traits about Tom (e.g. He wants to make a name for himself, wants to handle serious crime) that make her worried that he will drag her sister down in his madness even if he is a good person. 

So, apparently, there was a unreleased version of Speed Me Up. However, this one was done by an rapper who unfortunately pass away in 2019 named Juice WRLD. I guess his death is the reason why they didn't used this version. If he was still here, he would probably be required to appear live to sing the song live to promote the movie. Now, he is gone. So, I assume that they probably have the four rappers to replace his version.

• Thumbs Up 1