Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

17 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

In my personal opinion, I don't think we'll see the movie until 2021, the 30th anniversary for the franchise.

This is because they only started writing the movie recently from what i can gather, then you've got the fact it's CG mixed with live action, that's a ton of filming, ton of traveling too depending on the plot.

I think it's safe to say the movie will be a big 30th anniversary event. I'd say five more years of development is good. In the mean time they can build Sonic back up so the film is really worth it.

Movies don't take that long to make.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ratchet & Clank will have a timeline of exactly 3 years and 1 week from teaser to release, and that was because they wanted to delay the film to be around the same time as the game; the film was already done months ago.

Granted, that's full CGI. But still, it illustrates that you only need a few years.

Of course, for all we know, the project has been abandoned. It's been a year and a half and we have nothing concrete.

So apparently old Ken Penders must still be a bit sour about this Sonic movie being made over his terrible pitched ideas. He brought up his proposed Sonic movie again on Twitter, saying that his pitched movie would have streamlined the Sonic franchise and removed a lot of its current identity issues. So I reminded him that Sega was partnering with Sony to make a movie already and already had a writer and an animatiom studio ready to go. To which he replied "I seriously doubt that project sees the light of day. It certainly won't be ready for Sonic's 25th Anniversary."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

It certainly won't be ready for Sonic's 25th Anniversary."

If its similar to ratchet and clank we should get a trailer this year and the movie next year

Just now, ju87 said:

Thats very nice I love sonic I still remember watching the anime sonic movie on vhs it was pretty cool

cheers

Are you willing to trade your animu SONIC vhs for hehehe you know what.. contact me if interested

18 hours ago, Tenko said:

So apparently old Ken Penders must still be a bit sour about this Sonic movie being made over his terrible pitched ideas. He brought up his proposed Sonic movie again on Twitter, saying that his pitched movie would have streamlined the Sonic franchise and removed a lot of its current identity issues. So I reminded him that Sega was partnering with Sony to make a movie already and already had a writer and an animatiom studio ready to go. To which he replied "I seriously doubt that project sees the light of day. It certainly won't be ready for Sonic's 25th Anniversary."

XD

Oh lords above what we'll hear from him when it actually releases.

News flash! Sonic movie steals ken Penders idea, lawsuits now underway!! XD

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, Tenko said:

He's right about that. It's definitely not coming out this year and I doubt there will even be a teaser trailer or image shown at Comic Con. But if the project is still in the making according to Van then it will come out eventually, butthurt Penders. =] It's just taking a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

For my part, I'm remaining uninterested until we see even a teaser.

I'm tired of hearing about the screenplay, no offense to Van. I want something concrete.

Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, this movie's in development Hell, it just happens to have a script. As a lot of cancelled films do.

• Thumbs Up 5

Who IS Ken Penders anyway? He drew those ugly comics, right? 

11 minutes ago, monkokaio said:

I've been out of this movie loop. 

Is this movie being animated by Marza? Or do we not know that yet?

Yes it is. That, and it's got some undefined element of live action. Also Penders is jealous because he can't write.

And maybe this VAN guy can't too, but he isn't an enormous jackass nor does he have much to prove he goes either way unlike Penders so I'll save my judgement.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice, I'm looking forward to see how this will look.

Not gonna lie though, the live action bit makes me a little nervous. Like, how could real human beings in a Sonic movie totally work? I mean, I loved the Progressive ad with Sonic in it. That was like a 30 second bit though. I wonder, could they make an entire lighthearted feature film with real people in it? 

I feel like it'd have to be more or less lighthearted for this to be taken seriously, like a pixar movie I guess. Otherwise, I'm afraid this would turn into that Sonic fan film. Or ShtH or something. A "serious" movie that know one takes seriously because of how try hard it is. If people were stylized in a way like Unleashed, then it'd be easier to picture this working out much better.

Sonic and people can work, I know it can. Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Unleashed are some of my favorite games, so I know it's not impossible. I feel like it's too easy to take that concept too far though. Ugh, I'm really bad at explaining how I'm feeling at the moment, I hope I'm making sense.

With how little we know, maybe it'll be like the Spongebob movie and just have David Hasslehoff play a part and quickly be done with it. I know we're 61 pages in. So sorry if this has been brought up to death. I'm probably worried over nothing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thats very nice I love sonic I still remember watching the anime sonic movie on vhs it was pretty cool

cheers

Are you willing to trade your animu SONIC vhs for hehehe you know what.. contact me if interested

Wait, what?

• Thumbs Up 2

Van said on Twitter that the movie is still in development, but he can't comment beyond that. Some people on TSSZ are saying this means it's in development hell. But I interpret Van's comments as him saying: 'I finished the script, I'm working on other projects now. It's now in Sony and Sega's hands.' At least, I HOPE that is the case. Who knows? Maybe they're already scouting locations and getting ready for filming!

11 hours ago, monkokaio said:

Nice, I'm looking forward to see how this will look.

Not gonna lie though, the live action bit makes me a little nervous. Like, how could real human beings in a Sonic movie totally work? I mean, I loved the Progressive ad with Sonic in it. That was like a 30 second bit though. I wonder, could they make an entire lighthearted feature film with real people in it? 

I feel like it'd have to be more or less lighthearted for this to be taken seriously, like a pixar movie I guess. Otherwise, I'm afraid this would turn into that Sonic fan film. Or ShtH or something. A "serious" movie that know one takes seriously because of how try hard it is. If people were stylized in a way like Unleashed, then it'd be easier to picture this working out much better.

Sonic and people can work, I know it can. Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Unleashed are some of my favorite games, so I know it's not impossible. I feel like it's too easy to take that concept too far though. Ugh, I'm really bad at explaining how I'm feeling at the moment, I hope I'm making sense.

With how little we know, maybe it'll be like the Spongebob movie and just have David Hasslehoff play a part and quickly be done with it. I know we're 61 pages in. So sorry if this has been brought up to death. I'm probably worried over nothing.

Well potentially that might not even be the case, for all we know the humans could be CG too and the environments are live action. Infact I hope that's all it is simply for Eggman's sake

I'm glad to hear it's still on, and I'll assume it truly is, but I can't say I'm incredibly excited since I simply have NO idea what to expect from a movie about this franchise. Could be great, could be horrible...I guess I'm mildly excited, but knowing that it could go wrong very easily dampens my enthusiasm.

• Thumbs Up 4

See, my reasoning is that if it's not good, no video game movies are good anyway so what have we got to lose, and if it is good, then hooray it's good

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

See, my reasoning is that if it's not good, no video game movies are good anyway so what have we got to lose, and if it is good, then hooray it's good

Except, by the time this movie is released, we'll already have Ratchet and Clank, Angry Birds and possibly Sly Cooper, all of which have a real shot at being good, or at least decent. Each of those films have trailers/teasers at this point to give one an idea of what they'll be in for (all of which actually look pretty good), and, honestly, just the fact that these three are fully CG animated already gives them a point over Sonic as far as I'm concerned.

My point is that if any of these movies are good, or especially if more than one or all three end up being such, then no future video game movies have any excuse to be bad. If Sonic's movie's not good, you can be sure he'll be slammed harder than any other video game franchise for having a failed movie, and I won't be able to defend it if any of the aforementioned movies prove video game-to-film adaptations can indeed be done right.

The difference between the Sonic movies and those three videogame movies in particular is that the latter are all fully animated in CG. Sonic is going to be a live action/CG hybrid akin to Alvin & The Chipmunks and The Smurfs, which is why my expectations for the Sonic movie are considerably lower than the others. There is admittedly a lot less to go off of besides the basic details we have right now, so we'll wait and see. This is Sony Pictures after all. 8I

Speaking of Ratchet & Clank, I hope it does well. It looks decent imo, but I still want to go and see it.