Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

Sonic is going to be a live action/CG hybrid akin to Alvin & The Chipmunks and The Smurfs,

I support this completely.

I am hoping the movie will be more in the style of Transformers, and NOT Smurfs. Original Film had great success with 'Goosebumps' hopefully they can do the same with Sonic.

Well according to Van on twitter it "won't be like Smurfs/transformers", which I'm hoping means no "relatable" humans to get dragged into the mix to fuck up everything Sonic is supposed to be about. I can deal with live action humans as long as Eggman is the only one with a name or significant screentime

• Thumbs Up 6

Well if it's being backed and promoted by Sega (which it is) you haven't a thing to worry about. Sega cares about the comics like they care about...

...well, they really don't care about the comics. I almost think they'd do better in Japan than the games due to their tonal difference, since the games' problem in Japan is that they're one of many better options for cutsey anthro animal platformer hero silliness.

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Well according to Van on twitter it "won't be like Smurfs/transformers", which I'm hoping means no "relatable" humans to get dragged into the mix to fuck up everything Sonic is supposed to be about. I can deal with live action humans as long as Eggman is the only one with a name or significant screentime

As long as Eggman's played by Nick Offerman there could be a cast full of Chris's for all I care.

For me, the reason I care even though it's "just another video game movie" is that Sonic's reputation right now is bad enough as it is...we don't need another reason for his name to get dragged in the mud.

On 1/13/2016 at 10:39 AM, Myst said:

I just hope it stays in the videogame universe.. the comics aren't really my thing..

There's almost literally no chance it will be heavily based on the comics. They're relatively obscure and Sega doesn't care about them

• Thumbs Up 8

I wouldn't say "obscure". At least not in America. It's much more a case of SoJ wanting to believe they don't exist since Archie makes better material than their games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to make a rude and baseless assumption on people, but I feel fans of the comic tend to overestimate just how widespread the comic actually is outside of the US and to an extent the UK (Forbidden Planet) simply because it's benefited greatly from the reboot. But even with the reboot excelling what the games currently lack, that doesn't really mean the chances of it seeing a movie adaption have been lengthened greatly.  

• Thumbs Up 6

There is literally no reasonable chance whatsoever that SEGA will use the comic's settings and characters as the focus of the Sonic movie beause the games are inarguably the main face of the franchise.

A US-exclusive comic featuring characters most of the world are completely unfamiliar with and which SEGA and Sonic Team palpably don't give two shits about is not in any way, shape or form the identity and face of this franchise and one that SEGA want to focus upon in something as important and mainstream as a movie. Not by a long shot. And Archie fans are quite literally deluded if they think otherwise.

Sorry. But it's true.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, DarkLight said:

Not to make a rude and baseless assumption on people, but I feel fans of the comic tend to overestimate just how widespread the comic actually is outside of the US and to an extent the UK (Forbidden Planet) simply because it's benefited greatly from the reboot. But even with the reboot excelling what the games currently lack, that doesn't really mean the chances of it seeing a movie adaption have been lengthened greatly.  

Yeah I have to agree. I mean there are alot of Sonic comic fans but the comics are pretty overestimated in terms of popularity. Plus Archie is its own seperate universe. Its like them making the movie based on Sonic Boom... not gonna happen.

Just to comment on the archie thing, I think the over estimation is rather accurate. I find that a lot of folks still have problems with the comic if they know about it, because there are still... like a buncha characters being pushed from a rather irrelevant cartoon at this point. Regularly over game character, and they may have come to this game comic for a comic book about game stuff. And while yes the comics are more game based nowadays, that's the mentality about them still. Along with that if anyone read worlds unite, the problem is still there. These as of currently irrelevant characters just in the crossover in general from who I spoke to people weren't fond of..

The comic book isn't universally liked by the people who know of the comic book, I highly doubt any movie would be based on archie anything. I'm still surprised that comic book still gets away with like the Freedom Fighters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I can easily buy that the Sonic movie won't be based on the comics because it's not the main face of the franchise like the games. In fact, even with my loving how the comics are like now, I'm not sure if I want such a thing like that to happen, anyway. However, I do wish that Sega and Sonic Team would actually show some respect to the games again by making great ones instead of just settling for mediocrity-decentness at best.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Van is still working on the script, I'd say nothing until net year at the earliest. I'd be surprised if there are some ACTUAL news on the movie but who knows.

I asked Van back in July or something if he was still working on the script. He said yes. He hasn't said anything about the status of the script since. I am hoping he finished it already and we'll get a teaser poster on Hedgehog Day, and a trailer in May, alongside The Angry Birds Movie.

I wonder if it's possible that a version of the script has been finished (potentially even several versions) and is now going through redrafting to meet the requirements of all parties involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

I highly doubt we'll see a trailer this year. If Van is still writing the script then it will be a while until we see an official trailer. I think the only news we'll get this year about the movie is info on the cast and directors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, but Van hasn't said anything about the status of the script in awhile. It's possible it's already finished.

Strange question, but who do you think should do the score for this movie? Should it be a composer with movie experience, or should a person who worked on Sonic games before handle the job?

20 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

Strange question, but who do you think should do the score for this movie? Should it be a composer with movie experience, or should a person who worked on Sonic games before handle the job?

I don't have much knowledge on Hollywood film composers (Kollywood, now that's my element) but it would be nice to see some orchestral music with some nice rock, techno and other highly energetic genres of music (heck, throw in some dubstep for the final battle!). I mean, it could be a possibility that there can be both a movie composer and a Sonic composer can do the music, there's a first for everything?

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

tomoya  ohtani did the opening for sonic unleashed so it seems possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1