Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

18 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I want John Powell, but knowing my luck it's probably going to be Hans Zimmer. 8(

What's wrong with Hans Zimmer?

• Thumbs Up 2

Daft Punk did the score for Tron: Legacy. I could see them giving the film a videogame-ish feel, but I doubt it will happen. Christopher Young would also be good..

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

Strange question, but who do you think should do the score for this movie? Should it be a composer with movie experience, or should a person who worked on Sonic games before handle the job?

Composer with movie expierence of course. Henry Jackman or Brian Tyler would be very fitting for a Sonic movie. John Powell or Danny Elfman would be very awesome for a Sonic movie too.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

What's wrong with Hans Zimmer?

He's overrated imo. 8[ I find his scores forgettable.

Danny Elfman is a good choice actually. Love his Spider-Man theme!

Hans Zimmer does incredibly well on animated film soundtracks for some reason. I guess his bombastic sounds just lend themselves to the medium. But honestly, I'd rather a mix of traditional orchestral and more game-esque incidental music. Sonic is a franchise that dabbles in a lot of music genres and is known for its unique and catchy songs, and I would think it a shame to just have everything rendered by an orchestra.

• Thumbs Up 7

Anyone seen Kung Fu Panda 3? Anyone listened to the The Vamps rendition of "Kung Fu Fighting"?

Here it is!

That's the route right there for the upcoming movie. An up&coming BAND doing renditions of old Sonic tunes would honestly kill it.

Now, which band should make that case?

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Hans Zimmer does incredibly well on animated film soundtracks for some reason. I guess his bombastic sounds just lend themselves to the medium. But honestly, I'd rather a mix of traditional orchestral and more game-esque incidental music. Sonic is a franchise that dabbles in a lot of music genres and is known for its unique and catchy songs, and I would think it a shame to just have everything rendered by an orchestra.

I gave a listen to the soundtrack to The LEGO Movie, and it definitely gives off that video-game, orchestral vibe. Could this be something you would like for a Sonic movie?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you listen to sonic level osts, you find that most tracks has this sort of background beat to it. Its excellent if the movie captures that running beat, but i shouldn't set high standards. I would be disappointed. 

Well, unless they hire one of sega's composers. 

• 2 weeks later...

www.theworldfolio.com/interviews/segas-new-era-in-entertainment/3891/

"Sega Sammy Group is currently planning with Sony Pictures to create a live-action and animation hybrid “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie scheduled for release in 2018. Like with this CG animation production, we would like to expand our business into other entertainment areas beyond what we are currently involved."

Edit: Is it the first time Sega actually confirmed that the movie is being worked on?

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, pretty sure the original announcements never made any mention of a release year. So why is this being called delayed?

Unless someone can provide the source saying it would be released before 2018, I think the news article should be corrected. The movie is fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I don't remember a date either. People were speculating that it was going to be this year, because 25th Anniversary magic, but otherwise no date was mentioned.

1 hour ago, Detective Paradox said:

I don't get it, we weren't given a release date before, so how was it delayed? Maybe it was intended to release in 2018 from the start

Cause I guess Sonic Stadium news doesn't look much at movie news? :V

It's normal for movies to be released years after they're announced. It was seemingly still in the script writing process last year and they haven't even announced a director yet, so it definitely wasn't going to be released any time soon.

4 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Cause I guess Sonic Stadium news doesn't look much at movie news? :V

It's normal for movies to be released years after they're announced. It was seemingly still in the script writing process last year and they haven't even announced a director yet, so it definitely wasn't going to be released any time soon.

I think there was an email that surfaced because of the Sony leak that mentioned a 2016 release.

2 minutes ago, BxB-Meister said:

I think there was an email that surfaced because of the Sony leak that mentioned a 2016 release.

They said "hopefully 2016". So not something definitive, and certainly not something they ever announced.

"live-action and animation hybrid “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie"

Seriously, who the hell is advising Sega about Sonic? Smells like cheap movie 2 years ahead.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:47 PM, Nepenthe said:

Henry Jackman would be perfect for this. His score for Wreck-it Ralph uses some orchestral and some videogamey synth stuff.

Anyway at least we finally got ourselves a release year for the movie. But seriously...it's still CG/live action hybrid?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Marcello said:

We've known that since the start.

I know, I was just pointing it out, that they still wanna make this a CG/live action hybrid and...it concerns me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Uhhh, didn't Van said that the the CGI/Live action hybrid thing for the Sonic movie isn't going for the Chipmunks/Smurfs route? 

I think people who are worried this will be Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

Cause I can remember it like it was yesterday so I don't see why people are still harping on it? 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

Uhhh, didn't Van said that the the CGI/Live action hybrid thing for the Sonic movie isn't going for the Chipmunks/Smurfs route? 

Cause I can remember it like it was yesterday so I don't see why people are still harping on it? 

Well, even if it's not going to be like those movies in that it may not have pop culture references and such, I still personally think it's just a bad design choice. When I think of a Sonic movie, I think of something that looks more like this:

Spoiler

INTERVIEW_UP_SCREENS_02.jpg

...rather than something that looks more like this:

Spoiler

tmnt2014a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

The article just mentions that it when it was announced was mentioned as a live action / CGI hybrid, not that anything we learned from the article was reaffirming that statement.

I'm still holding on to the hope that it got delayed so that it could be full CGI..

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, even if it's not going to be like those movies in that it may not have pop culture references and such, I still personally think it's just a bad design choice. When I think of a Sonic movie, I think of something that looks more like this:

Reveal hidden contents

INTERVIEW_UP_SCREENS_02.jpg

...rather than something that looks more like this:

Reveal hidden contents

tmnt2014a.jpg

Well considering that Marza is doing the animation part and it seems that SEGA are probably going to be very involved with the development, I doubt it will be the case. It also helps that Van did took the time to play through some of the games, I feel that the movie will be pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 2