Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

Well considering that Marza is doing the animation part and it seems that SEGA are probably going to be very involved with the development, I doubt it will be the case. It also helps that Van did took the time to play through some of the games, I feel that the movie will be pretty good.

I can see what you're trying to say, but I still can't help but feel disappointed that SEGA's still going through with this idea.

I picked a screenshot of TMNT 2014 for my comparison because it's a PG-13 action film, rather than a PG comedy film, and the Sonic movie's apparently aiming to be the former. I realize that, visually, that may have been an extreme comparison, but look at this:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

This ad for the Sonic Boom video games features Sonic and pals animated very similarly to in the cartoon, just in a live action environment. This may be closer to how the Sonic movie will look than TMNT '14, but this still isn't preferable to a fully animated film. Sonic and his friends may look and move very much like they do in the games animated by Marza, but it will still be live action otherwise, which just isn't what I think of when I think of a Sonic movie. 

I'm not saying the movie will necessarily be bad overall just because of this design choice, but I still won't be able to shake the feeling that this movie should be fully animated.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it has to be mixed with live-action then I have an idea: What if all the characters including the humans had cartoony semi realistic CGI models (think SSBB) but all the set and locations are real representing the live-action part of the film?

1 minute ago, jords said:

I'm trying to figure out when did they ever had a release date. Wheres the delay?

As far as I can tell, there wasn't one. Honestly, I find it pretty silly that a lot of people think the movie's been delayed when its announcement in 2014 was made before the writing was even finished, if I recall correctly. Movies take time to make, and I never thought it would be out this year (2018 sounds about right to me).

• Thumbs Up 3

2018, eh? Can't wait!

I was actually expecting this movie to come around this time, so this isn't surprising for me. Glad to see a confirmation, though!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh. This news is so frustrating. In 2014, Van told us something may be revealed in 2015. Nothing. I was hoping for a teaser or even just a poster by the end of this year, and now it's looking like that won't happen until the end of NEXT YEAR (If we're lucky)

20 hours ago, MudHunter said:

www.theworldfolio.com/interviews/segas-new-era-in-entertainment/3891/

"Sega Sammy Group is currently planning with Sony Pictures to create a live-action and animation hybrid “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie scheduled for release in 2018. Like with this CG animation production, we would like to expand our business into other entertainment areas beyond what we are currently involved."

Edit: Is it the first time Sega actually confirmed that the movie is being worked on?

Great news! The movie is moving forward! Finally! :D

17 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Oh, so the CEO did actually mention it was a hybrid movie.

Back to fear and loathing, I guess.

Whatever happens I'm sure it can't be as bad as the Super Mario Bros Movie. You have to really try if your worse than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

We've all heard SEGA and Sonic Team's statements about upping quality and all that for a while now.

Let's say part of that is to have some more consistency between games. Let's then say they go for an Adventure/Unleashed style setting again starting with the new game this year. By the time the movie rolls around we'll have had Sonic in this real-ish world setting for a while already. The CGI / Live-Action hybrid would then actually be a pretty suitable way of making a Sonic film that's true to the series' current direction by that point.

I don't know. I just don't think the hybrid is an instant red flag.

• Thumbs Up 1

If this movie were based on SatAM, I would leave the fanbase entirely. The movie is the only thing left keeping me interested in the franchise. Making it SatAM based would kill it for me.

Glad to see we've got a release date confirmed. Sad to see its stil gonna be partially live action. Please don't screw this up Sony.

7 minutes ago, Myst said:

If this movie were based on SatAM, I would leave the fanbase entirely. The movie is the only thing left keeping me interested in the franchise. Making it SatAM based would kill it for me.

I'd say you're safe, then, because I don't see even a remote chance of that happening. In fact, the chances of that happening are so... nonexistent that I kind of wonder why you even brought it up.

If the movie's going to be based on or inspired by anything it'd probably be the Adventure games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Heh, I was just watching Dish Nation, a TMZ style talk-show where the hosts discuss celebrity gossip. There's a ticker at the bottom, which usually mentions stuff like celebrity birthdays, breakups, album releases and whatnot. Rather strangely, it mentioned the Sonic movie of all things! Guess Sonic is more relevant than we thought!

Any wishes for cameos and such?

A cameo by Yuji, Takashi and Naoto is a must. It's like the Stan Lee cameos. They have to be in this somehow.

Does that sound reasonable?

Lizuka will be producing, so a cameo seems likely. I would love to see a lot of references to other Sega titles hidden throughout the movie as Easter Eggs..

Having Yuji as a Stan Lee like cameo would be pretty cool to see. As for the plot, I know everybody has been speculating that the film will most likely be based on the Adventure games, but personally I think a film based on S3&K would be awesome to see.

25 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Having Yuji as a Stan Lee like cameo would be pretty cool to see. As for the plot, I know everybody has been speculating that the film will most likely be based on the Adventure games, but personally I think a film based on S3&K would be awesome to see.

I would agree with you, if the film were going to be fully animated, because Sonic 3 and Knuckles would probably make a great movie, and the environments would be gorgeous in an animated film. However, with the movie being a live action-CGI hybrid, I'd actually feel pretty insulted if this were the case, the reason being that, if the movie's going to adapt the Adventure games (or at least go for a similar look and feel like Sonic '06 tried to do), then I could at least see why they would choose to make it live action (since those games did take place in a world much more similar to our own), even if I disagree with doing so. If they adapted Sonic 3, there would be absolutely no excuse.

• Thumbs Up 1