Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

12 hours ago, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

That's an awful big stretch and leap of logic to suggest that none of the npcs from Adventure 1 are remembered.

While not to the potency of say, Majora's Mask, I think you may be shocked to find that the npcs of Adventure 1 actually do garner quite a reminiscence and discussion here and there.

A small example:

I'm sorry, but it honestly seems like you're pulling a strawman over something you just strictly don't like.

Don't forget

SNIVELY! SNNNIVELLLEEY! (also the Iron Queen)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think we will get a teaser trailer for the 2018 Sonic Movie at SDCC this year?

And what will your reaction be, if there's hint of the Archie/SatAM Freedom Fighters in it?

There's no cast, no director, the Script's not finished and it's still two years away so no. I love Archie but I really think this should be it's own thing.

@zwrozaz

I think that they'll either show something this year to further celebrate to 25th anniversary, or they will do it next year instead (after all of the 25th festivities).

Doing it after the anniversary may the better idea.

It won't be Archie. People from the East have no idea what Archie Sonic is. I sure didn't know until i read them online. 

Sega has to appeal to them too, you know. 

• Thumbs Up 6

11 hours ago, zwrozaz said:

Do you think we will get a teaser trailer for the 2018 Sonic Movie at SDCC this year?

And what will your reaction be, if there's hint of the Archie/SatAM Freedom Fighters in it?

I'd be VERY upset because Sally and the Freedom Fighters were a background created for Sonic not by Sega, but by people who were only licensed to create a non-canon story for the character.

Although the whole story of the comics is alright - even with all the inconsistencies - and does fill a void in Sonic's past since it was devoid of any context at all, I'd rather have Sega put a team of writers together to create THEIR OFFICIAL VERSION of Sonic's origin and the world he lives in. And preferably, that it is Sega of JAPAN that does it, since the character is Japanese, not Sega of America.

Sonic's Western mannerisms are meant to make him look cool and edgy because Japan was becoming a great exporter to the world in the 80s and 90s. So Sonic was designed within that specific timeframe. He is meant to reflect the popular Japanese mindset and what it believed to represent everything that was cool and modern. And in that time it was to be a Japanese with Western mannerisms, such as using English slang now and then and having a laid back, no worries attitude, much like a teenager or young adult. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

We don't even have a cast list yet.

Archie/SatAM need to stay as far away from this movie as possible.

I agree actually.  The modern Archie stories and character designs are horrible.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hahaha that's funny because it's wrong

Regardless, the movie does still need to stay away from them because the Archie cast are a niche group unrecognized worldwide, where the movie has to be as accessible as possible, therefore sticking to the core character cast of Sonic-Tails-Eggman, probably Knuckles, maybe Amy.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Hahaha that's funny because it's wrong

Regardless, the movie does still need to stay away from them because the Archie cast are a niche group unrecognized worldwide, where the movie has to be as accessible as possible, therefore sticking to the core character cast of Sonic-Tails-Eggman, probably Knuckles, maybe Amy.

The Sonic Boom version of Amy.  Cause even though the game was horrible, the cartoon made her likable for the first time.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, a knothole resident said:

The Sonic Boom version of Amy.  Cause even though the game was horrible, the cartoon made her likable for the first time.

I wish we could have the Boom version of Eggman, somehow. Not as the main villain, because, despite his pretense villainy, he's a sweetheart. An egomaniac, of course, who can be horribly abusive towards his subordinates and a backstabbing son of a bitch to those who help him (Buddy-Buddy Temple, cough, cough), but still a sweetheart. 

eggy.png

I would be quite surprised if Amy wasn't in the movie.  They've been emphasising her as part of the core cast recently, most visibly in Boom, and that's partly intended to make the franchise more attractive to young girls.  The movie is likely to follow similar logic; they'll want it to be accessible to as many demographics as possible, or at least, as is easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 23.4.2016 at 2:44 PM, zwrozaz said:

I like Archie Sonic & SatAM Sonic, but I would be REALLY surprised to see any of that in the movie, I could see a really small cameo of Sally Acorn but thats about it. I believe the movie is going to focus on the Sega core cast. Sonic, Tails, Amy & Knuckles vs Dr. Eggman. We should be happy if we get anything on SDCC this year, a logo or concept art at best. I think we could get something interesting at next years SDCC.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

16 hours ago, FFWF said:

I would be quite surprised if Amy wasn't in the movie.  They've been emphasising her as part of the core cast recently, most visibly in Boom, and that's partly intended to make the franchise more attractive to young girls.  The movie is likely to follow similar logic; they'll want it to be accessible to as many demographics as possible, or at least, as is easy.

Sonic, tails, knuckles, amy, shadow eggman

All the main toy demo's right there. 

I am making a list of clechie live action movie bits of this type that will probably happen. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie has either satam characters or members of the normal cast just act like them for no obvious reason. Having a semi live action movie now of all times has me thinking that this movie is trying to jump on the nostalgic franchise bandwagon with Transformers and Ninja Turtles, but I guess for 90's kids? Them going for that sort of angle is the only other reason (the other being cost reduction) I can think of for wanting to mix cg and live action. 

Do we know a writer for this movie yet? Afaik, we don't, which is why I was suspecting development hell, that they couldn't even get started. Hmm, perhaps development hell isn't the right term, just one of the many movies that just don't happen. 

7 minutes ago, Phos said:

Do we know a writer for this movie yet? Afaik, we don't, which is why I was suspecting development hell, that they couldn't even get started. Hmm, perhaps development hell isn't the right term, just one of the many movies that just don't happen. 

The guy writing the script actually posted here for a period of time. Van Robichaux, I believe.

• Thumbs Up 2

Van is the name and he's co-writing the movie with Evan Susser. This was from this article that mentions the movie where we got the details. Still no news on a director tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, I imagine this has an air of that story about Kevin Smith writing that superman script where the producer doesn't want to see Superman fly. I say that because the semi live action thing sounds like a bad idea no matter how you slice it.  

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Phos said:

I say that because the semi live action thing sounds like a bad idea no matter how you slice it.  

That's what they said about Paddington especially since when looking at the first trailer, I think. People thought it was gonna suck but nope, it's actually a really good movie.

There's always that possibility that the Sonic movie will be good. Just saiyan.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, sansy said:

That's what they said about Paddington especially since when looking at the first trailer, I think. People thought it was gonna suck but nope, it's actually a really good movie.

There's always that possibility that the Sonic movie will be good. Just saiyan.

Paddington is one thing, but with Sonic, real elements tend to cause clashes, create questions... Like Sonic's, uh, "eye".  

It's interesting that the top-tier characters mentioned above are all the ones that featured in Rise Of Lyric.  Of course, I think that just reflects the importance of their role as distilled by Sega over time.  A core cast that's as demographically broad as Sonic really gets (especially once they added Sticks), the main villain, moody antihero character, main villain's most interesting and dangerous henchman.  Like I said with Rise Of Lyric way back - or, possibly, in endlessly regurgitated discussions in this same movie topic - Shadow strikes me as perfect sequel hook material, showing up right at the end.

You know, thinking about it, Rise Of Lyric was a bit like an updated version of '06, and probably Adventure as well, in the sense that both are a bit like what I imagine a Sonic movie to be.  Multi-character narrative, epic story, everything's incited by Eggman's villainy but he's displaced by an original villain because he's too likeable to be permanentliy defeated... slight reinvention of the wheel to introduce all the characters to the audience... and, not so much in RoL, but definitely for Adventure and '06, the tell-tale signs of movie awareness: Humans suddenly all over the place.  I feel like these are all the obvious check-boxes for things they'd want to do for a part-live-action Sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Yeah, not Shadow. He's a sequel character.

Nah

He's probably in there and there is and there is a probably a bunch of dumb jokes about him brutally beating human sized people, and him being intimidating for the size he is. 

I'm going to call this cleche , right now. They are going to sell some toy ass toys. 

18 hours ago, FFWF said:

It's interesting that the top-tier characters mentioned above are all the ones that featured in Rise Of Lyric.  Of course, I think that just reflects the importance of their role as distilled by Sega over time.  A core cast that's as demographically broad as Sonic really gets (especially once they added Sticks), the main villain, moody antihero character, main villain's most interesting and dangerous henchman.  Like I said with Rise Of Lyric way back - or, possibly, in endlessly regurgitated discussions in this same movie topic - Shadow strikes me as perfect sequel hook material, showing up right at the end.

You know, thinking about it, Rise Of Lyric was a bit like an updated version of '06, and probably Adventure as well, in the sense that both are a bit like what I imagine a Sonic movie to be.  Multi-character narrative, epic story, everything's incited by Eggman's villainy but he's displaced by an original villain because he's too likeable to be permanentliy defeated... slight reinvention of the wheel to introduce all the characters to the audience... and, not so much in RoL, but definitely for Adventure and '06, the tell-tale signs of movie awareness: Humans suddenly all over the place.  I feel like these are all the obvious check-boxes for things they'd want to do for a part-live-action Sonic movie.

Oh sonic boom aside from the cartoon is strait up an attempt at adventure money, like the devs from like day one were talking about adventure stuff, apparently rol was supposed to have a chao world, another 1 to 2 other playable characters, and the producer at the time had already begun talking about shit they were going to do with shadow later. Sonic boom is strait up trying to modernize the adventure flair. Whether its doing that good or not... up to debate.  I could criticize elements of sonic boom for a while, but I have done that too much. But yeah sonic boom like screams " We realize we could get two revenue streams" .

18 hours ago, FFWF said:

Shadow strikes me as perfect sequel hook material, showing up right at the end.

I don't think that works because you the only sequel hook you could have in the end is the story of sonic adventure 2, and as much as I love that game. NOOOOOOOO.

That story is already not the best, I don't trust movie form. I feel like the cloest I got to a sonic adventure 2 story was Captain America The winter solider and i'm fine with that.  And that was more like 2 metal gears shoved together if anything. 

I think you don't use him as some sequel hook, I think he's too embedded in like sonic consciousness for that. LIke Unless they are building the " sonic cinematic universe" , I don't think there needs to be a sequel hook. Shadow can just show up in the movie, be cool and sell toys, and then show up in the next movie and be cool and sell toys. I don't even think they movie is going to be complicated enough to to even use the concept of a sequel hook.