Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Still going to stay cautiously optimistic. I really don't know any of these people like that, so I can't judge how well their pasts works have been. Hopefully everyone can come together to produce a great film that'll leave me wanting more. 

Interesting choice of words in this piece from Marza's website...

http://www.marza.com/en/news/article/50

Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) and Marza Animation Planet today announced that Blur Studio’s Jeff Fowler is attached to oversee the development of a potential feature project based on the acclaimed Sonic the Hedgehog video game series...

'A potential feature project'? Makes it sound like the movie isn't even at the point where it's been given a guaranteed production. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just going to point out films change writers all the time. this isn't anything new.

Anyway I'm excited. I've not seen Deadpool Yet But I'm sure if Miller could make an R-Rated Superhero Movie work he can make a "Live action Hybrid Family" Video Game Movie work.

Some video game stuff Jeff Fowler has directed at Blur, there's probably more stuff that he worked on there but their site usually doesn't mention the director in the description:

Star Wars: The Old Republic – Knights of the Fallen Empire – “Sacrifice” Trailer(Co-directed with Dave Wilson)
Atlas Reactor trailer (Also written by Jeff)
Skylanders Trap Team commercial (Only the CG sequences)

Oh, and both Jeff Fowler and Tim Miller are credited for Shadow the Hedgehog's CG cutscenes. The game's credits don't mention their job positions, but still, they're listed. :V

1 hour ago, Gatestormer said:

Interesting choice of words in this piece from Marza's website...

http://www.marza.com/en/news/article/50

'A potential feature project'? Makes it sound like the movie isn't even at the point where it's been given a guaranteed production. 

Pretty sure that means how it might turn out in terms of quality, they wouldn't hire a Director if they weren't ready to start it, its also probably because its roughly translated from Japanese to English. Also, Van and Evan probably wrote the first draft of the script and the new writers are rewriting it. Also, Tim Miller didn't leave Deadpool 2 for this, there's a reason why he left that movie. Also, the Executive Producers are apparently also developing the movie with Jeff and the writers.

1 hour ago, TimmiT said:

Oh, and both Jeff Fowler and Tim Miller are credited for Shadow the Hedgehog's CG cutscenes. The game's credits don't mention their job positions, but still, they're listed. :V

Well Shadow was the first game to have CG that wasn't butt fucking ugly, so there's that.

Y'know, I was going to post a theory about how, instead of a typical "Pixar-esque" superhero movie that I thought would do best, an outright snarky and comparatively cynical superhero movie might go over well actually? What with the writers having a pretty cynical-looking show under their belts, and how Marvel movies do so well with the dry humor formula, and all that. Might work for Sonic, in fact it might be what he needs?

That's what I was going to post about, until I actually looked up previous works from the writers that might be more in line with what Sega would want out of Sonic. And uh...

latest?cb=20140713102621

I think we've got another Pontac and Graff on our hands, everyone.

Seriously, outside of Golan this is the only real rep they've got going on in their history, with most of them being self-made Teen DVD movies. And this series' writing... It's bad. Even ignoring it's lower-than-the-brow humor and writing that kids apparently find "appealing" these days, when it actually tries to be witty it falls absolutely flat on it's face. And from the looks of what I'm hearing of Golan, it doesn't fare much better. If anything, they seem like they'll definitely be worse than Pontac and Graff.

Also, knowing they're responsible for this abomination to my childhood isn't helping matters, either. :L

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

CLEAR!

We got some small news on the movie and they might have some small tweaks to them. 

So it won't be a big drastic change like Boom's take on the characters.

But here's where I'm not taking this as a big deal, Van is no longer in the project. Granted, he might've contacted Miller/Fowler a couple of times before he moved on to different projects but I still don't know about it.

Take it what you will.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Soni said:

CLEAR!

We got some small news on the movie and they might have some small tweaks to them. 

But here's where I'm not taking this as a big deal, Van is no longer in the project. Granted, he might've contacted Miller/Fowler a couple of times before he moved on to different projects but I still don't know about it.

Take it what you will.

This was to be expected. I’m not worried though, they’re probably just going to look a bit more detailed, like have Sonic look slightly fuzzy and prickly like a real hedgehog, while still maintaining his cartoony design. I hopes it’s similar to how the Spongebob characters looked in Sponge Out Of Water (before they got super powers, that is.) I loved how that movie kept the designs and animation of the characters the same, but gave them textures and detail to make them look more fitting to the world around them.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Soni said:

CLEAR!

Take it what you will.

Sounds ok to me.

That just reads to me as things like tweaks to textures, gloves and shoes, and so on; minor medium-based details comparable maybe to the Classic-Modern shift.  There's no point doing a Sonic movie if it doesn't look and feel like Sonic, right?  (Though granted a lot of movie adaptations seem to fail to grasp this basic principle.)

• Thumbs Up 5

Redesigns, while nothing major, would be expected in a live action mixed with some CGI film, I would guess. It's not like they can rip Sonic's fantastic CGI model from Unleashed and pop it in wherever they wanted to. Of course they need him to look more "real".

Sonic '06 model ftw.

As long it looks nothing like that horrible Sonic from that one infamous fan-film... Personally I think even a more realistic Sonic of any degree is very hard to pull off and can easily go very wrong... Like the turtles from the new TMNT movies... just gross. >o<

that is absolutely horrifying and i hope nothing like that even remotely touches the actual sonic franchise because i would actually want to gouge my eyes out

• Thumbs Up 6

I spotted this online. I could see them doing something like this with the fur to make Sonic more "real" while still unquestionably being the regular design that people know and expect when they think of Sonic:

hqdefault.jpg

If they did that, and then maybe made the shoes look a little more like fabric instead of that odd glossy look the usually have then they'd be pretty much set to go. The rest of it would just be down to lighting him properly to match the real-world environment he's in.

• Thumbs Up 9