Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm convinced that this movie's gonna be stuck in development hell, if its not already. We haven't gotten so much as a premise for the movie. Just a couple announcements on writers, Tim Miller, and now two delays.

As someone studying for a degree in film, I've seen these signs before, and I can tell you with almost the utmost certainty that it's not going to come out.

It'll flounder around for a couple of years in development hell, with a few reassurances here and there that it's being 'worked on', and then it'll just vanish a la the Sly Cooper movie.

Sony Pictures are not realistically going to waste time and resources on a Sonic the Hedgehog movie. They just aren't. The potential audience isn't big enough and the money simply isn't on the table. Or at least not enough money is on the table to justify production. Especially after Ratchet and Clank bombed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sony didn't have anything to do with Ratchet & Clank Universal did. The Sly Cooper movie is still being made, right now they are more focused on the TV Series. The movie will come out probably after the second or third season and will probably Not be about the first game, either based on one of the other games or a new story that takes place after Thieves in Time. Also Jurassic World went through this same process and took 10-11 years to release after originally intended to release in 2005.

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sony didn't have anything to do with Ratchet & Clank Universal did.

I never said they did. What I mean is Sony will have noticed the failure. Studios don't exist in their own little bubbles. They observe what works and what doesn't for other studios, and alter their own business practices accordingly.

Sony are not going to put out a film based on a niche platforming game series after Universal put out a film based on a niche platforming game series and it royally tanked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but look at the Angry Birds movie how successful it was. I liked the Ratchet & Clank movie some things could have been better, it's pretty good since it's about the only video game movie I like except Angry Birds that I'll watch. The other two movies I'll watch is Sly Cooper and Sonic The Hedgehog 2019.

Yeah, but look at the Angry Birds movie how successful it was. I liked the Ratchet & Clank movie some things could have been better, it's pretty good since it's about the only video game movie I like except Angry Birds that I'll watch. The other two movies I'll watch is Sly Cooper and Sonic The Hedgehog 2019.

Angry Birds succeeded for the same reason the Emoji Movie is probably going to succeed: relevancy. It taps right into casual mobile phone culture which dominates the entertainment market nowadays. People flock to cinemas because they see the movie advertised and think "hey, I have a smartphone! That film gets me."

When was the last time you saw someone playing a Sonic mobile game (unironically) who wasn't already a fan?

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

the Emoji Movie is probably going to succeed

I STRONGLY doubt that will be the case, if the negative reactions to that thus far are anything to go by.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I STRONGLY doubt that will be the case, if the negative reactions to that thus far are anything to go by.

People whining on the internet about it =/= regular people who buy movie tickets.

Just look at some of the biggest box office hitters in recent years.

Pirates 5? Shitty reception, on its way to a billion.

Minions? Shitty reception, made millions and the merch is everywhere.

The list goes on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Angry Birds movie was made by Sony and is getting a sequal in 2019 same as the Sonic movie from the same company. Sony owns Ratchet & Clank but Universal distributed through Focus Features. Angry Birds even made the highest grossing video game movie, surpassing the record held by Prince of Persia from Disney, until Warcraft came along and took Angry Birds place. Actually I've gotten several people to like Sonic and we happen to have all the free Sonic android games. Jurassic World was a good movie and made the top 5 highest grossing movies of all time, even after the new star wars came out.

2 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Actually I've gotten several people to like Sonic and we happen to have all the free Sonic android games.

You've just proven my point. The vast majority of people downloading the Sonic apps are familiar with Sonic already, because SEGA does next to nothing to promote them to other audiences. As opposed to something like Pokemon Go, which effortlessly became a phenomenon simply because Nintendo rallied behind it and had app stores feature it prominently.

In short: if SEGA actually put their hand in their pocket for some proper advertising once in a while, the movie could be in business. But as it stands, don't hold your breath.

• Thumbs Up 4

They downloaded the apps after I got them to like Sonic.

Exactly. See above.

And how we got started on Sonic is when we was watching new episodes of Sonic X every Saturday on 4Kids.TV.

It's a shame that the movie had been delayed. I think it got delayed for a good reason as you know. Given the lack of information about the film, they probably delay it to give it more time to improve on the script. Making movies isn't that easy.  Well you know, if the script for the movie isn't good enough, you probably have to do rewrites on the script which could take a very long time and possibly could result in development hell. I wouldn't be surprised if this get delayed again.

Jurassic World went through this process it was originally going to release in 2005 but got delayed to 2015. Sly Cooper I don't think the Sly Cooper movie is going through this process the show is coming first to promote the series and movie and increase Sly's audience outside of video games for the first time.

17 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

It'll "Fail" in that adults like us will look at it and think "Patrick Stewart is a piece of poop. No Thank you". Kids meanwhile will eat this shit emoji up. I want to be wrong especially since apparently Sony's put all their chips on this being a huge hit.

The Emoji Movie is no doubt the worst movie made Sony Pictures Animation. I mean Open Season, Goosebumps 2015 and Angry Birds movie were way better than the emoji movie, it's literally a movie nobody wanted. The Legend of Spyro movie would've been a good movie if it wasn't cancelled. Sonic The Hedgehog will be the best movie ever made, surpassing Jurassic Park, Ratchet and Clank, Pirates,Sly Cooper and others.

The Emoji movie is just Inside Out except inside someone's phone. The only way that it can be saved is if it has the ? emoji in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sonic The Hedgehog will be the best movie ever made, surpassing Jurassic Park, Ratchet and Clank, Pirates,Sly Cooper and others.

...And you're basing this on what, exactly?

3 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sonic The Hedgehog will be the best movie ever made

Somehow I doubt this.

I base my favorite movies based on games that are my favorites. Also big movie franchises like Jurassic Park/World, Pirates of The Caribbean, Maze Runner, Kung Fu Panda, How To Train Your Dragon and others. Jurassic World 2 is now called Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom.

5 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sonic The Hedgehog will be the best movie ever made, surpassing Jurassic Park

Yeah, I doubt it. Jurassic Park is in the middle or a resurgance and Sonic is dropping down hard at the moment due to some poor games still being on people's minds.

Sega said themselves they are going to turn Sonic into a media Icon, rather than just a video game icon. Also Sonic has been around 2 years longer than Jurassic Park.

17 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Also Sonic has been around 2 years longer than Jurassic Park.

This is literally completely irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

This is literally completely irrelevant.

It isn't even factually true, which is the icing on the cake.

Jurassic Park first came out as a book in 1990. The first Sonic game was 1991, ie one year later.

• Thumbs Up 1