Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I meant the Jurassic Park movie and the Sonic games were very popular before Jurassic Park, so therefore the fanbase is bigger than Jurassic Park/World's that's why I think the movie will be a success, the other reason being they are using the same CGI as the games. Now I'm not betting anything, even though a movie can do well at the box office, incredibly well and people like it, critics will still not like it. Look at Jurassic Park 3, Godzilla 1998, Van Helsing (2004 or 2005?) and Ratchet & Clank movies all of which I like, but the critics panned each of these even though they were very successful at the box office or overall very good, except R&C (however it was an indie film, so kind of expected that outcome) which was a good movie but didn't make very much at the box office. Ratchet & Clank didn't do well because of poor advertising and competition from Disney with Zootopia (which stayed in theaters too long and was still in theaters when the DVD came out) and newcomer Jungle Book. The Jurassic Park book may have came out in 1990, but the movie is what really got attention, and now the fifth film Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom releases in exactly one year from now.

4 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I meant the Jurassic Park movie and the Sonic games were very popular before Jurassic Park, so therefore the fanbase is bigger than Jurassic Park/World's that's why I think the movie will be a success, the other reason being they are using the same CGI as the games. Now I'm not betting anything, even though a movie can do well at the box office, incredibly well and people like it, critics will still not like it. Look at Jurassic Park 3, Godzilla 1998, Van Helsing (2004 or 2005?) and Ratchet & Clank movies all of which I like, but the critics panned each of these even though they were very successful at the box office or overall very good, except R&C (however it was an indie film, so kind of expected that outcome) which was a good movie but didn't make very much at the box office. Ratchet & Clank didn't do well because of poor advertising and competition from Disney with Zootopia (which stayed in theaters too long and was still in theaters when the DVD came out) and newcomer Jungle Book. The Jurassic Park book may have came out in 1990, but the movie is what really got attention, and now the fifth film Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom releases in exactly one year from now.

What kind of bizarre logic are you running off here?! Jurassic Park and Sonic the Hedgehog are not remotely comparable.

I'm Not comparing the two franchises, I'm comparing the popularity of the two. Now we've gotten to far off the Sonic 2019 topic, lets get back to the movie. I think the movie will include a lot of characters like Shadow, Silver, Metal, Blaze, Rouge, Orbot and Cubot along with more common characters Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Sonic and Eggman are obviously in the movie. The Sonic movie could be an origin story showing the beginning of the series or (what I'm hoping instead) a completely new story thats Not based on a previous game or a New story that takes place sometime after Sonic Forces or whatever game releases in 2018. A game based on the movie would also be great as one would have more story details than the other, like Ratchet & Clank Movie/PS4 2016.

On 6/21/2017 at 4:20 PM, RLS Legacy said:

It'll flounder around for a couple of years in development hell, with a few reassurances here and there that it's being 'worked on', and then it'll just vanish a la the Sly Cooper movie.

This quote I overlooked. Sly Cooper is Not cancelled, the TV Show will come first to increase Sly's audience before the movie releases, which will probably be about a new story and Not the first game. Jurassic World went through the same process for 11 years after announced in 2004, then planned release in 2005, then released in 2015.

would like to see the movie based on sonic adventure and the latter about sonic adventure 2 ( P.S i just want one of the movies to be based on sa2) 

That would be a good idea, more likely it will be a new story. I think Sega already covered Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 with Sonic X, only for several episodes. They also mentioned something about Sonic's rivalries from the games in the movie, now as everyone knows Sonic only has a few rivals including Shadow, Silver, Metal Sonic, Knuckles and even though Eggman is Sonic's arch-nemesis I think he is still considered a rival. Also since they are targeting a PG-13 rating for the film, that means the movie will be longer than usual PG rated 3d animated movies (Dragons, Ratchet & Clank, Spongebob, etc.) that are usually 1 hour 30-45 minutes. This rating choice would allow the movie to be 2 hours - 2 hours 45 minutes (Jurassic Park/World, Pirates of the Caribbean, MCU films, recent TMNT movies) long. Allowing more time for story to unfold and fully understandable, no I'm Not comparing Sonic 2019 to the animated PG-13 movie 9. However, they said Sonic would be a family movie, even with the PG-13 rating which would indicate more of a Jurassic Park/World rating than a rating to that of newer X-Men movies. Also I hope they learned from the mistakes of the Shadow The Hedgehog game and to Not include anything from that game that was criticized into the movie. 

Like it or not, in the Japanese canon, Sonic games always took place on (some sort of) Earth, that explains why humans whose last name is Robotnik are around to begin with, and if they're going for live-action, we almost certainly will get other humans...who hopefully won't be as terrible as Chris Thorndyke or Sam Whiticky, but who knows?  I think the key thing to remember in these sorts of scenarios is, someone or other is going to look alien.  Robotnik looking alien to Sonic's world wasn't a big issue because he was playing the role of an alien invader.  That gets rather more complicated when you have other characters, and in some cases, they might actually decide that it's more convenient to make Sonic the alien in the human world, ala Sonic X.

My preference would be that the anthropomorphic animals inhabit Earth but are rare, and have only been rediscovered relatively recently, after a war with the humans forced them into hiding.

I know this post is like a month old, but who is Sam Whiticky?

11 minutes ago, GuyWithThePie said:

I know this post is like a month old, but who is Sam Whiticky?

Pretty sure they're talking about Shia LaBeouf's character from the Transformers movies:

250px-Sam_Witwicky.jpg

A fair number of people didn't like him. At all. Some would even say he was an insufferable attention hog. I personally didn't mind him all that much, but his hangups definitely took more of the spotlight than needed. In that sense, he pretty much is like Chris Thorndyke. Just replace "young, middle school (?) age rich kid" with "young, high school / college age not-as-rich boy."

If you look at some of Sony's flops in the past couple of years, you can tell that there will likely be no faith that the Sonic movie will be good when it will come out in the next two years.:

So, if you expect the Sonic movie to be animated, well, expect to be more similar to this instead.:

I want to be very optimistic on the Sonic movie, but given how bad Sony's management on their movies, I'm very doubtful that the movie will be very good.

Sony also has had some better movies lately like Goosebumps and the Angry Birds Movie. I don't know all of Sony's movies, so I don't know which ones were any good. The new Spider-Man movie looks good.

10 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sony also has had some better movies lately like Goosebumps and the Angry Birds Movie. I don't know all of Sony's movies, so I don't know which ones were any good. The new Spider-Man movie looks good.

>Angry Birds
>a good movie

Yeah, you'll forgive me for taking your opinions with a pinch of salt from here on out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was saying the trailers shown in someone else's post showed trailers for other Sony movies. I only watched one of those, that was The Amazing Spider-Man 2, it was okay (not my favorite Spider-Man), I just did Not like the ending. The new Spider-Man Homecoming seems to be getting good reviews in comparison to the others, my favorites of the franchise is Spider-Man 2 2004, The Amazing Spider-Man 1. Spider-Man 3, I only liked as much as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, mostly what I liked about it was Venom. Anyways Sony is having good movies lately like Goosebumps, Angry Birds movie and Spider-Man Homecoming all three of these are getting sequals. So with Sony having a increase in good movies tells me that Sonic will be a great movie, especially that Sega is participating as part of their new strategy for quality over a set date and release and rushing.

On 6/21/2017 at 2:51 PM, RLS Legacy said:

People whining on the internet about it =/= regular people who buy movie tickets.

Just look at some of the biggest box office hitters in recent years.

Pirates 5? Shitty reception, on its way to a billion.

Minions? Shitty reception, made millions and the merch is everywhere.

The list goes on.

Minions got mixed/mediocre reviews, rather than outright bad reviews. And while Pirates 5 may might make a billion, it's going to have a much harder time getting there compared to the last two films. Franchise domestically has been significantly down and will need to rely largely on overseas gross to get to that milestone. I'd say it's actually possible that it might get close to $1B but not cross it (topping out by $850M-$900M).

Same with Transformers 5 as well. The series was initially considered untouchable despite its bad reviews, with the past two films making a billion. But the fifth film has actually had the lowest opening weekend of the series so far, and box office receipts in China (where it had become a mammoth) aren't exactly lighting up on fire for once. Both films look like they will crawl, and maybe not even reach $200M domestically. Sometimes, negative reviews and audience impressions can take a toll.

That's not to say I don't agree with your point though about how poorly-received films can be successful. Though I honestly think The Emoji Movie won't be an example of that--that film has an uphill battle due to how pedestrian and trite the story is, and how blatantly commercial / gimmicky the film's core concept is. That film will live or die on WoM.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2017-6-25 at 0:38 PM, RLS Legacy said:

>Angry Birds
>a good movie

Yeah, you'll forgive me for taking your opinions with a pinch of salt from here on out.

Urm... Angry Birds isn't that bad.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Urm... Angry Birds isn't that bad.

I would say its inoffensive? But Its kinda nothing, but I guess that's better than being bad. A bit run of the mill

I actually thought that Angry Birds should have got a lot more credit than it got.

Typically. Movies tell us not to get angry, that being angry doesn't help and makes stuff worse... especially movies aimed at kids.

Well... this one doesn't do that. It says that "being angry all the time isn't a good thing. But sometimes we get angry and that's ok, we just don't take it out on our friends."

Even for adults. The birds anger can be seen as being angry at a political group who wants him to stay quiet and go along with everybody despite obvious problems that he sees.

It's only when he gets angry and protests does change occur.

• Thumbs Up 7

All six of the Resident Evil movies actually did pretty well in the box office despite all of them got bad reviews. In case, you didn't know, all six of the Resident Evil films were make by Sony.

On 24/06/2017 at 8:20 PM, CoolRobo said:

If you look at some of Sony's flops in the past couple of years, you can tell that there will likely be no faith that the Sonic movie will be good when it will come out in the next two years.:

I want to be very optimistic on the Sonic movie, but given how bad Sony's management on their movies, I'm very doubtful that the movie will be very good.

Don't forget this little gem:

I have no faith in the Sonic movie at all.

I swear I heard somewhere that apparently Will Ferrel was going to be the voice of Sonic. If that's true then I may physically breakdown. Just... no, pls no.

EDIT: lol forget that Will Ferrel bit

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I swear I heard somewhere that apparently Will Ferrel was going to be the voice of Sonic. If that's true then I may physically breakdown. Just... no, pls no.

Oh for...

Look if you're gonna stand by the whole "this movie will be shit!" Without actually seeing anything for it.

At least have the decency to not make shit up to support your stance or at least post the source of the bullshit so we can see how easy it is to fool people these days.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm pretty sure Roger Craig Smith will be Sonic, he already did it in wreck it ralph doesn't he? I don't see why they would change the current voice actors just for this movie.

42 minutes ago, NikoS said:

I'm pretty sure Roger Craig Smith will be Sonic, he already did it in wreck it ralph doesn't he? I don't see why they would change the current voice actors just for this movie.

Same reason they changed up the cast for Ratchet and Clank. And had Bob Hoskins play Mario.

Because recognisable names = ticket money.

Eggman could change, as much as I hate to say it. If it's live action, I see the execs giving us a guy in prosthetics. 

Ideally, I'd keep Mike Pollock voicing him as a CG character, but if not, who would play a live action Eggman convincingly? 

28 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

Same reason they changed up the cast for Ratchet and Clank. And had Bob Hoskins play Mario.

Because recognisable names = ticket money.

Well, you made your point, but i still hold what i said until we get some confirmation. (I hope i'm right in this one, pls not will ferrel)

7 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Ideally, I'd keep Mike Pollock voicing him as a CG character, but if not, who would play a live action Eggman convincingly? 

I'd prefer Mike as well, but if we get a live action Eggman... 

300px-Jamie_Hyneman_2010.jpg

The look is already there, look at him!!!

no other name comes to my mind right now..

• Thumbs Up 4

He has the evil genius, the tech know-how (he could make most of the props) and the humour. All he needs is to grow out the moustache! 

If Eggman has lackeys, here's hoping Orbot and Cubot remain. 

• Thumbs Up 5