Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

12 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I don't think a bad movie would add fuel to the "lol sonic sucks" fire. I mean I don think people say that Ratchet and Clank sucks/dead because of its mediocre movie.

Your optimism for this fandom is adorable. Never lose that.

Anyway Paramount are the ones keeping Michael Bay working and allowed JJ Abrams to turn Star Trek into generic Action fodder so are we sure this is a good thing?

Calling it now, the plot will be your typical fish out of water story, a more condensed Sonic X probably. Shenanigans ensue.

Honestly, I'm not sure who was really asking for this. The Sonic OVA is perfectly serviceable, I know it's technically not a film per se but it flows like one, pretty good too, most likely better than this movie will ever be. 

I wouldn't be too fussed but the Sonic name has been tarnished so many times that a mediocre to bad CGI-hybrid movie akin to the Smurfs is really the last thing it needs right now. They hit it out of the park with Sonic Mania, don't knock down the poor hedgehog again just as he was getting back up on his feet.

But what can I really say. We have barely anything to go off about this film yet. We'll have to wait and see, and I'm sure as hell booking tickets to see which way it goes.

There was another reason why Sony give up on the film and let Paramount take over the production of the film according to Variety.:

The project, based on the Sega video game franchise, had been in the works at Sony, but the studio let their film rights lapse.

This came from this article.:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-paramount-1202578346/

I think we probably most likely not to get more news about the movie after Sonic Forces is released. I think Sega want to wait till the hype for Sonic Forces to die down after it been released. I don't know this is just me speculating. We see about that in the future. Since, now that Paramount got the rights to the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they have Sonic as the next Transformers if the movie is a box office success. That's how they make 5 Transformers movies, because money. Hollywood only cares about money. That's all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering that Tim Miller is acting as a producer for this movie after directing Deadpool, which languished in development hell itself and ultimately became a good movie, I'll hold onto the possibility that he could catch lightning in a bottle twice. After Sony's recent disasters, I can't see changing studios as anything but a plus for it a this point. It may not be a very big plus depending on how things turn out, but hell we're the Sonic community, we'll take whatever blows are swung at us and get right back up like it didn't happen (after bitching about it happening in the first place).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2017 at 2:50 PM, CoolRobo said:

There was another reason why Sony give up on the film and let Paramount take over the production of the film according to Variety.:

The project, based on the Sega video game franchise, had been in the works at Sony, but the studio let their film rights lapse.

This came from this article.:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-paramount-1202578346/

I think we probably most likely not to get more news about the movie after Sonic Forces is released. I think Sega want to wait till the hype for Sonic Forces to die down after it been released. I don't know this is just me speculating. We see about that in the future. Since, now that Paramount got the rights to the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they have Sonic as the next Transformers if the movie is a box office success. That's how they make 5 Transformers movies, because money. Hollywood only cares about money. That's all.

Letting the rights lapse is the same as washing your hands of it. Couldn’t have been good if even Sony didn’t want it. Paramount isn’t much better but all of the Hollywood studios are hit and miss anyway. 

The only part of this I'm looking forward to is when Ken Penders inevitably tries to sue claiming they ripped off his insane "Sonic Armageddon" movie pitch.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

While I'm glad that Sony is no longer working on the movie, and now that the movie is being worked by Paramount, but, I have some concerns about the studio. They have a lot of bad films that were flops like such as Baywatch in the past months, and there is a high chance they going to screw the movie up. I don't know how they will handle this Live Action/CGI Hybrid, I think the best they could pull this off if they could make it based on Sonic Adventure. However, since we currently don't know much about this, we will have to wait and see about this. It's going to take a lot of effort for them to convince us. I don't expect this to be a Oscar Worthy masterpiece, but I expect this to be a fun movie.

I know I say this earlier, but do you guys think IDW will be making a tie-in comic for the movie?

• 2 weeks later...

SO if the Paramount Pictures is going to do the Sonic movie, they should talk with Sega about on working out the character and also to be different to the games using Marza Animation Planet to work on the CGI animation and Neal H Moritz also needs to take notes from the Sega team on how the Sonic story works.

The movie needs to be a PG rated movie with action adventure and comedy to be add into the mix and the voice actors will need to be involved, and a movie from the artist like Sia, Ellie Goulding and other cool musicians to be added.

Thank you.

Bruce Acosta

On 09/10/2017 at 1:58 AM, Spooky Mulder said:

The only part of this I'm looking forward to is when Ken Penders inevitably tries to sue claiming they ripped off his insane "Sonic Armageddon" movie pitch.

Ve9Y3.gif

Yeeeeesh...I saw this years ago when it was first leaked (along with the whole Ken Penders Sega pitch) and watching it again now? it’s even worse than I remembered! D:

Paramount’s Sonic movie can’t be as bad as this surely?! 

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

Paramount’s Sonic movie can’t be as bad as this surely?! 

We’ll see about that.

Seriously, I doubt it will be this cringeworthy in its presentation but that doesn’t mean it won’t be this bad conceptually.

The fact that they are still pursuing this as a live action picture is seriously troubling. Remember how bad “realistic” Eggman looked in ‘06? Get ready an actual human actor dressed as Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really curious about the plot of the movie, but since Paramount makes the Transformers movies and will make the Sonic Movie, it will probably be just Sonic X with explosions, mayhem, and destruction. LOL.

michael-bay-gifs-14.gif?w=400&h=320

This movie is going to be a meme.

>Sonic isn't beloved and/or relevant enough to sell a film like Ninja Turtles or Transformers could despite critical hostility.

>Live Action (no, nobody's up for a movie with actual humans from our world and 4 foot Hedgehogs side-by-side while demanding you to take it seriously) guaruantees it'll be repugnant in looks

>Will end up failing to draw in enough long-term fans and it's doubtful new ones who jumped aboard post-Unleashed care enough about Sonic to see him pal around with Will Smith or whoever

2 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

This is a live action/CG hybrid. Not a complete live action movie.

That's.. still the Smurfs.

• Thumbs Up 1

The one big thing that I'm worried about the movie is that the characters will be redesigned, but I don't know. My bet is that they will probably have some slight tweaks like the fur seen in this picture.:

sonic.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CoolRobo said:

The one big thing that I'm worried about the movie is that the characters will be redesigned, but I don't know. My bet is that they will probably have some slight twerks like the fur seen in this picture.:

sonic.jpg

That is the best case scenario.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm not completely ruling it out as we don't know anything of how this is all gonna work and of the inner workings of how such a project would go, I really doubt that they would allow for major character design changes. My proof: Sonic Boom.

It has been stated that SEGA was extremely strict when it came to BRB redesigning the Sonic crew. Considering that they were that strict for a series that was supposed to be almost entirely detached from the main universe, I'm willing to bet that they would be even stricter for a movie that's supposed to represent the main face of Sonic.

I also really doubt Marza would not have any say in the look of the characters as they'll be that ones that are gonna animate them.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

For those asking why live action I think v ause Sega likes the notion sonic lives in a human like world.  Though some of you youngins  don't know true horror till you've read sonic live? I bet that's the story.  The old sonic Archie book

26 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

For those asking why live action I think v ause Sega likes the notion sonic lives in a human like world. 

You can still have Sonic living in the human world in a fully animated movie though. Remember those pixar-ish humans from Unleashed? Whats wrong with going in that direction.

shoot, gimme a 2 hour long Night of the Werehog and I'd be stoked. Marza's proven capable.

26 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Though some of you youngins  don't know true horror till you've read sonic live? I bet that's the story.  The old sonic Archie book

Ugh. Don't remind me. Easily the worst comic in the entire run. BY. A. MILE.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 6

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1733778/

So, I search up some other info about the director, Jeff Fowler. According to his filmography, he worked on two other animated shorts Rockfish and A Gentlemen's Duel. He once appear as a guy named Bob in a episode from a TV Series called Gilmore Girls. 

Since the Sonic movie will be his first movie that he will direct, I hope he can pull it off good.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to whether Eggman should be played by a human, I’d say yes and no. Similarly to the effects used in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, Eggman should look like a mix of cgi and live action. they could have a real actor’s face, with shades on, but digitally insert it onto a computer animated body. I could see his mustache and nose being digital. Eggman shouldn’t look too realistic, but shouldn’t look too animated either. He needs a blend of exaggerated realism, maybe not like Sonic 06 for say.

If possible, I wish I could say Mike Pollock would be great at playing as Eggman in the movie, I honestly don’t know how well he would do outside of voice acting. He may be able to voice the character well, but how would he do with actual acting? 

That’s one thing that worries me about the movie. Who would play as the characters? A part of me wishes the current cast could voice the characters, yet movie adaptions usually never keep the current/previous voices, unless it’s a direct movie tie in to a show. The Sonic Movie is an adaption of a game series, not a direct tie in to the current franchise, I don’t think the movie will serve as a sequel to any of the games. As far as I know, The Ratchet & Clank Movie is the only movie of a game to get voices from the games involved, but it was entirely animated, unlike the Sonic Movie.

If they do replace the voice cast for the movie, I just hope they get good voices. Imagine how crazy it would be to see Will Ferrel as Eggman. (Not sure if that would be brillaint, or terrible.)