Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Another example of Live Action/CGI that I found is this Detective Pikachu trailer that was released a few years ago. Everything in the trailer is Live Action except Pikachu who can talk. This might been a bit unrelated, this game is already out in Japan, and will finally come out in the rest of the world on March 23. It's also getting a movie which will come out in the same year the Sonic movie will come out. Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) will voice Detective Pikachu in the movie. The movie will be releasing in theaters on May 10, 2019.

If you think that I'm joking about Ryan Reynolds voicing Detective Pikachu in the movie. I'm not. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-reynolds-star-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-1065206

13 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Another example of Live Action/CGI that I found is this Detective Pikachu trailer that was released a few years ago. Everything in the trailer is Live Action except Pikachu who can talk. This might been a bit unrelated, this game is already out in Japan, and will finally come out in the rest of the world on March 23. It's also getting a movie which will come out in the same year the Sonic movie will come out. Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) will voice Detective Pikachu in the movie. The movie will be releasing in theaters on May 10, 2019.

If you think that I'm joking about Ryan Reynolds voicing Detective Pikachu in the movie. I'm not. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-reynolds-star-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-1065206

In addition to both the Sonic 2019 and the pikachu movies releasing in 2019, did anyone notice that both have cast or crew from Deadpool associated with both films. I'm also beginning to wonder if Nintendo is now trying to expand it's rivalry with Sega into the movie space now, with the mario and pikachu movies.

On 1/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Gamebox 1.0

Oh dear, I watched Brutalmoose's video review of that. It's the very definition of a cheesy, lame film. x) I certainly hope that doesn't mean anything as far as the Sonic movie goes...

On 1/4/2018 at 2:52 PM, A sonic fan said:

What do you guys think of this rumor, some guy claims that forces was supposed to be a tie in game and " leaks " some "plot info "

Rumors that have no source need not be posted.

7 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Oh dear, I watched Brutalmoose's video review of that. It's the very definition of a cheesy, lame film. x) I certainly hope that doesn't mean anything as far as the Sonic movie goes...

I had to agree. The movie seem to look so cheap and awful. It looked so low budget. The two writers that write the script for the movie are now writing the Sonic movie. I hope the Sonic movie doesn’t end up like that. That would be horrible.

Also, here is another example of Live Action/CGI hybrid that I found. A bit unrelated, it just a video of Mario dancing with real people. The song in the video is pretty catchy.

10 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

The two writers that write the script for the movie are now writing the Sonic movie.

Now I checked the Wikipedia page for that film, the names for the writers are not the same as the Sonic movie. But with the Sonic movie we have Marza Animation, who has stayed true to the series since they took over the CG for the games. The Sonic movie has been in the works since 2014, that's 2 years longer than this Pikachu movie. Another thing is that theatrical films based on Nintendo franchises never do any good, especially story-wise, because those games like Mario or Pokemon don't have any deep, dark or over-arching stories/moments in the games. Now the Sonic series is different it has way better stories than anything Nintendo's franchises could offer, plus a big cast of characters. Some examples of better stories in Sonic games are Sonic Forces, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Lost World as well as others. Now I believe the Sonic movie, both story and characters will stay true to the games that the series has done since the beginning. Also since Sonic Team is involved as well as Sega and Marza, who all worked on the games and the fact we got the studio behind movies like Transformers, Spongebob, TMNT, TinTin also formerly known for Indiana Jones, Star Wars and the start of Marvel's MCU. As well as Original Film with the 2 Goosebumps films, I believe the Sonic movie will do the series justice for it's amount of up's and down's, but we can argue that the stories in Sonic is better and more in-depth compared to Mario's and Pokemon's non-existant stories in the games.

Also according to Wikipedia, Tim Miller (the executive producer of the Sonic movie) was considered to direct Detective Pikachu. Instead, I think they got the guy who worked on both Goosebumps films for Sony. Also Pikachu is being released by Universal, while Sonic is being released by Paramount, both studios have a good track record for big films. Universal has Jurassic Park/World, while Paramount has Transformers, Spongebob, TMNT and now the Sonic The Hedgehog movie. Now I could careless for that Pikachu or Mario movies coming outbecause for 1 I don't like Pokemon and 2 Mario is literally the same exact 2D formula for every game (exception is Super Mario Odyssey), now I don't hate Mario, I like Mario games it's just the series is closer to the bottom of my favorite video games next to Angry Birds, now the Angry Birds movie was good but not my favorite video game film.

Video Game movies tend to failed because they don't stick to the source material. The only two movies that were kinda decent that I hear were Warcraft and Angry Birds. However,  Angry Birds was a box office success, while Warcraft was a box office bomb in the US, but did well in China, well China love Warcraft. Unfortunately, Angry Birds got a 44% on Rotten Tomatoes while Warcraft got a 32%. So far, none of the video game movies break the video game movie curse. 

I know this is unrelated, but, with the Detective Pikachu movie starting filming soon, there will be a Tomb Raider movie, and a Rampage movie both coming this spring. Also, there will be a Minecraft movie which come out in theaters on May 24, 2019. I don't expected any of these to break the video game movie curse.

I'm not sure if the Sonic movie will break the video game movie curse which seem highly unlikely. Hopefully, it will be a decent fun action-packing entertaining enjoyable movie to watch.

Also, for the Live Action/CGI part, I don't think we don't have to worried about Sonic and his friends getting realistic redesigns. As we already know, Marza is doing the animation for the movie. I posted these videos again just to remind people that they will probably look like these.:

For those that are worried about the Sonic The Hedgehog movie, Sonic movie executive producer Tim Miller is also working on the new Terminator movie also for Paramount and set for release in 2019, same as Sonic. Also he's doing an upcoming X-Men spin-off for Fox, so with these other popular projects being directed by the Sonic movie executive producer, that tells me that the Sonic movie will be really good if they trust Tim Miller to work on such popular franchises like Sonic, Terminator and his X-Men spin-off film.

7 hours ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Video game movies tend to fail because whichever concept they're based on doesn't compress well into a third-person feature-length movie.

Agreed.

Since we already know that the film will be CGI-Live Action hybrid. I was wondering which locations will appear?  Will we see Green Hill Zone? Will we see a Live Action version of Station Square or Central City? I wonder what other characters besides Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman could appear in the film. Maybe Cream, Cheese, Rouge, Big, and the Chaotix could appear in the film. I could see Big having a cameo appearance in the film. Will we see a live action version of the President making an appearance in the movie? I hope there isn't too much focus on the humans in the film. Well, I guess we will have to wait to find out and see about this. Hopefully we get news about the release date, the casting, and the filming soon. Anyway, even if the movie get bad reviews, we still have a fun movie to watch.

Even members of the Sly Cooper community are talking about the Sonic The Hedgehog Movie. Sega is re-attending SXSW this year with the Gotta Go Fast: The Official Sonic The Hedgehog Panel, now there's an interesting part in the panel description ``World Exclusive First Look" that sounds to me the Sonic movie will get a trailer at SXSW, because we haven't seen anything regarding the film outside of a teaser poster with a silouette Sonic and logo.

I don't think we will get a trailer at SXSW,  I think it still too early for a trailer, but maybe we will get a logo, a release date for the film, and a cast for the film. So, far what we know about the development of this film is that we know that the film will be a Live Action-CGI hybrid film and it's got a director. We know who are the producers, and we also know who are the writers. We already know that Marza will be animating the animated scenes, and Paramount will be distributing the film, now that Sony is no longer distributing the film. Last, we know that the film will be releasing next year. That's all we know for now! 

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

a teaser poster with a silouette Sonic and logo.

The poster that you mention was actually fan made. 

https://mateus2014.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Movie-Teaser-3-578727607

58 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Oh! You mean that advertisement for the licensing queries. Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the fan made movie poster. My bad.

Perfect misunderstanding, I can see the confusion. With all the fan art and stuff like that, I can see why there's a lot of confusion comes from. I mean like that cancelled fan-made SFM Sonic Twist of Fate, a lot of people thought that was an actual teaser for the actual official Sonic movie.

A trailer at this point seems highly unlikely.  I don't think it's particularly credible that the movie could have begun filming for its live-action segments without us finding out one way or another; and a CG-only trailer for a live-action and CGI hybrid movie would be rather strange.  A teaser at best, I think; but more likely an official confirmation that production has finally begun, if anything at all.

For those who are still worrying about Sonic getting realistic redesigns, Marza, the company that make the Unleashed short and cutscenes for various Sonic games is involved in the movie. So, I'm going to show you these again. This is what I could imagine of Sonic and his friends interact with real people in a realistic environment.

Also, I wonder if there will be a tie-in comic book for the movie. I had a feeling that we may be finally getting more news about the movie soon.

Ok, we kinda got some small new info on the movie from Van who used to work on the movie. He say that he hear that the script got some changes and that the movie had become more action focused since Tim Miller join the film.

He also say that filming will start this summer, and that they are deep into the character tests.

He think that filming might start in June or July.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Ok, we kinda got some small new info on the movie from Van who used to work on the movie. He say that he hear that the script got some changes and that the movie had become more action focused since Tim Miller join the film.

He also say that filming will start this summer, and that they are deep into the character tests.

He think that filming might start in June or July.

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Ok, I know this does not mean anything, but one of the Sonic movie writers, Patrick Casey promise that the movie will be dope which mean good.

It's about time we start hearing something about the movie outside of release date and director. Also I noticed that these Tweets were posted since the start of this month, about a week or so after Sega announces their SXSW Sonic Panel on March 16th. So this could further indicate something about the movie could be shown at SXSW, whether it's character renders, poster, plot details, a teaser trailer or a final release date are all possibilities. Also just found out that both Jeff Fowler and Tim Miller both worked on Shadow the Hedgehog's CG cutscenes, so I can see why the film would take on a lot more action than before.

I like how it's gonna be more action focused and that they are confident and excited about it, I hope it's balanced between comedy, action and the inevitable drama that comes. I wouldn't mind a backstory, Sonic doesn't need it but maybe Eggman does? Also, it seems likely that we'll hear something at SXSW since filming starts in a few months, probably actors and casting. It's gonna be a fun year.