Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

6 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Except we have every bad video game movie ever to fall back on, to tell any asshole who pulls that shit of their own hypocrisy.

Because everyone always listens to Sonic fans right

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Because everyone always listens to Sonic fans right

If we make a loud enough stink, yes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

On 1/25/2018 at 11:55 PM, CaptainRobo said:

For those who are still worrying about Sonic getting realistic redesigns, Marza, the company that make the Unleashed short and cutscenes for various Sonic games is involved in the movie. So, I'm going to show you these again. This is what I could imagine of Sonic and his friends interact with real people in a realistic environment.

Also, I wonder if there will be a tie-in comic book for the movie. I had a feeling that we may be finally getting more news about the movie soon.

HAHAHAHA. If you actually think any Hollywood exec, especially Paramount which is desperate for a franchise to replace Transformers - is going to look at those commercials and think that that's the way their movie should look, Is utter ridiculousnes. If this has any smidge or hope of being taken seriously like other kid properties turned into big budget PG-13 action flick like Paramount's own Transformers or GiJoe or the incoming Rampage - Sonic is not going to look like it's a sequel Space Jam or Rocky and Bullwinkle. The movie would be hard as hell to market to the GA and it would be laughed out of the Cinema if it tried to take itself even a LITTLE bit seriously. SEGA/MARZA will realize this fact.

Sonic is most definitely going to be getting somw kind of redesign from character designers and concept artists hired by the Studio with input from Paramount execs and Sega so he'll actually LOOKS like he belongs in the real world and It's marketable to to people who don't know the games. It's not going to be a superimposed CG model from any of the games.

• Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

HAHAHAHA. If you actually think any Hollywood exec, especially Paramount which is desperate for a franchise to replace Transformers - is going to look at those commercials and think that that's the way their movie should look, Is utter ridiculousnes. If this has any smidge or hope of being taken seriously like other kid properties turned into big budget PG-13 action flick like Paramount's own Transformers or GiJoe or the incoming Rampage - Sonic is not going to look like it's a sequel Space Jam or Rocky and Bullwinkle. The movie would be hard as hell to market to the GA and it would be laughed out of the Cinema if it tried to take itself even a LITTLE bit seriously. SEGA/MARZA will realize this fact.

Sonic is most definitely going to be getting somw kind of redesign from character designers and concept artists hired by the Studio with input from Paramount execs and Sega so he'll actually LOOKS like he belongs in the real world and It's marketable to to people who don't know the games. It's not going to be a superimposed CG model from any of the games.

It will be laughed out even harder with that stunt.

SEGA has a marketable image with Sonic. They attempted to change it slightly for Boom, and got heaps of backlash. If the slight changes got heaps of backlash, a real world redesign will bring the apocalypse.

Even people who don't know the games know Sonic's classic cartoon image, because that's what he is. Any attempt to change that will hurt them, just as it did for classic characters like the Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

If people recognise one image, why even change it?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

29 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

It will be laughed out even harder with that stunt.

SEGA has a marketable image with Sonic. They attempted to change it slightly for Boom, and got heaps of backlash. If the slight changes got heaps of backlash, a real world redesign will bring the apocalypse.

Even people who don't know the games know Sonic's classic cartoon image, because that's what he is. Any attempt to change that will hurt them, just as it did for classic characters like the Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

If people recognise one image, why even change it?

The Sonic fans that raised hell over Boom's stretched out legs and scarf will be MINISCULE compared to the major movie going audience that will laugh Sonic out of Theaters if he shows up in his own action movie looking like Mickey Mouse's brother-in-law.

Transformers fans hated the Bayformer designs when they were first revealed. But guess what? It. Didn't. Matter. It made a boatload of money. The G1 designs would have NEVER worked for the first live action Transformers movie and they wouldn't have been anywhere as marketable to the General Audience as Bay's redesigns. The fans in the grand scheme of things do not matter to the Studio and they hardly make a difference at the Box office which is the main thing Studio big wigs care about. Ive seen this play out so many times with different franchises. Paramount is the one who bought the film rights to Sonic, for all intents and purposes, they are footing the bill for this movie (Marketing, distribution, pre and post production etc) they are inevitable going to try to turn Sonic into their next big franchise. They can't do this if Sonic looks like Snoopy's cousin.

And it did not fail with the Chipmunks... At all. They got FOUR movies out of that franchise and the Smurfs got a sequel because the first movie did relatively well. And the fact that we know this movie is going to be nothing like those movies (Comedies aimed at small children) and closer to Nina Turtles and Transformers in scope and likely tone (Its PG-13) strengthens my argument even more. The people that will complain about the redesign will be the ones already invested in the franchise aka the fans. And the cartoon image became irrelevant the moment this movie was announced as a live action/CG hybrid.

Theres a reason they got the guys from Fast and Furious and Deadpool to work on this movie

SEGA and Paramount finalize deal for Sonic the Hedgehog film

Just yesterday, we learned that the Sonic the Hedgehog film will open in theaters on November 15, 2019. Now, SEGA of America has announced it has reached a final agreement with Paramount Pictures to co-produce the movie.
This move represents an important next-step in the expansion of the Sonic the Hedgehog IP, bringing the character to new audiences globally. As part of the IP strategy for Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Group has been working to expand this character beyond the video game market to become an entertainment franchise. Recently, Sonic has appeared as an animated character on television, consumer products, console and mobile games, and more.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/925139-sega-and-paramount-finalize-deal-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-film#RBCbvp0YH38weuMc.99

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Ok, here is some info from the former writer Van. He say that he never talk with anyone from Sega of America, but did talk so much with several Sega of Japan employees. He say that he flew to Tokyo to meet with Iizuka and the boss Satomi.

He say that pitching to them was an intense and surreal experience. He did it with no sleep. Everything that he said was through a translator. He say he was sitting across from Toshihiro Nagoshi and he say that he look like Kazuma from the Yakuza series.

According to Jim Gianopulos who is the CEO of Paramount Pictures, he said that they will work closely on the movie with SEGA of America.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sorry for the double post,  I just want to post some info from the former writer Van. He say that there were once rewrites at Paramount, and the script was a recalibration from his.

He say that he haven't read the current drafts. He know that the plot is different than his script.

He was very happy about Paramount and the director for the film. He doesn't know much about the current film plot, but he feel hopeful.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

So something I'm scared of, that is completely unrelated to the actual quality of the movie once it comes out, is that Paramount would label this as part of their Paramount Animation works. 

"No, it's animated by Marza, that'll never happen," you say. Well... 

If you actually look at the works under Paramount Animation, almost all of them are actually being made by separate studios. 

I've never seen any of them, but can someone who has let me know if they do credit these other studios upfront or just in a small section in the credits? 

I wouldn't want to see Marza only listed in the credits and not have their logo show before the start of the movie. They are extremely underrated and completely unknown to the general animation community. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I asked Van if he heard why the movie shifted to paramount, and he answered.

And yet they green-lit The Emoji Movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's seem that the people who were involved in Sonic including the Japanese Sonic voice actor Junichi Kanemaru seem to be looking forward to the movie.

Also, Marza had upload an article about the movie deal with Paramount and Sega.:

http://www.marza.com/en/news/article/1178

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I asked Van if he heard why the movie shifted to paramount, and he answered.

And yet they green-lit The Emoji Movie.

I guess that's the reason why it take so long for the movie to finally happen. Don't know why Sony didn't bother to make it, but yet choose to make the dumbest movie that nobody wanted to see. Strange, but anyway, it's look like Paramount is trying to make this movie finally happen. Glad to see it's finally moving forward. Can't wait to see more news!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

It's turn out the tweet about Sony refused to make the Sonic movie was a misinterpretation of what Van getting at. Oops. Sorry.

Please keep in mind that the release date could change, I don't know. I mean it could change due to competition, the movie is releasing the same day as Margie Claus which starring Melissa McCarthy on the same week. The movie will be releasing next November which Bond 25, Frozen 2, and Wonder Woman 2 will all come out. So, the movie is going to have some tough competitors, if it is planned to be releasing on that month.

If there is product placement, it would be funny to see a scene of Sonic eating chili dogs at Sonic. LOL.

1200px-Sonic_Drive-In_logo.svg.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

On 2/24/2018 at 11:01 AM, Johnny Boy said:

So if they get celebrities to voice the characters, who do you think will play who? 

I don’t know any celebrities who can voice the characters, but maybe Chris Pratt as Sonic?

Also, Yuji Naka who used to work at Sega had reported the news about the movie deal.

I’m curious what locations will the movie taking place in? Maybe we will see Green Hill Zone in the beginning of the movie. Since the movie is Live Action/CGI hybrid, maybe we will see Station Square or Central City in the movie. I’m also curious what characters will appear in the movie. We most likely going to see Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman in the movie. The only other characters besides the other 5 that I could see making an appearance in the movie is the Chaotix, Cream, Cheese, and possibly maybe Rouge and Big. I could see Big having a small cameo appearance. I can only see Shadow appear in a post credits scene. Maybe the President will make a appearance. I don’t know, we will see. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I don’t know any celebrities who can voice the characters, but maybe Chris Pratt as Sonic?

Also, Yuji Naka who used to work at Sega had reported the news about the movie deal.

I’m curious what locations will the movie taking place in? Maybe we will see Green Hill Zone in the beginning in the movie. Since the movie is Live Action/CGI hybrid, maybe we will see Station Square or Central City in the movie. I’m also curious what characters we will make an appear in the movie. We most likely going to see Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman in the movie. The only other characters besides the other 5 that I could see making an appearance in the movie is the Chaotix, Cream, Cheese, and possibly maybe Rouge and Big. I could see Big having a small cameo appearance. I can only see Shadow appear in a post credits scene. Maybe the President will make a appearance. I don’t know, we will see. 

I bet we'll see a couple of classic stages when we see "Sonic's world" Green Hill Zone is the most iconic Sonic stage so it'l definitely make an make appearance imo. They might be planning to bring the Mythology of Mobius into the movie and make Sonic and his friends "Mobians" . Characters - Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles sounds about right. I could Espio or Charmy being smaller roles but I couls see them trying to keep tje bare minimum for part 1. Shadow/Gerald Robotnik and the full Chaotix could be used as a post credits tag to tease the sequel. I could also see Blaze and Silver being brought in a for a third movie. This could be an amazing franchise onpar  with modern CBMS if they play their cards. Sonic has enough material to have his own cinematic universe with spinoffs for different characters. Paramount and Sega HAVE to be seeing the dollar signs for the potential of this franchise. Can easily replace Transformers for Paramount and make Sonic a multimedia icon for Sega the same way Transformers became for Hasbro. Imagine this opening the door to not only a Sonic Cinematic universe but other Sega adaptions like Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, even Nights Into Dreams which could be an awesome fantasy film.

As for the voice, there other celebrities that would suit Sonic better imo: Zac Efron, Ryan Reynolds, Evan Peters, Timothee Chalamet, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, even Shia LaBeouf who I think would be an awesome Sonic. Lot of good choices for Sonic out there. Phratt would be a better fit for Knuckles imo 

I could also see John Goodman or Bryan Cranston making an amazing Eggmam 

So, Van think Sega of America is probably going to be involved in the marketing for the film. He say that press releases are not reliable news sources. He also say that Sega is a confusingly structured company. He wouldn’t read too much into the press release.

He isn’t sure if Sonic and the others will get redesigns.

Didn’t he say that the characters won’t get change that much according to this tweet 2 years ago?

I don’t know what to say about this, but let’s hope they don’t get much changes, hopefully some minor changes just to get them fit in the real life environments.

Anyway, I could see the movie having a Avengers fight style scene of the characters fighting Dr. Eggman’s robots in a ruined Station Square.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I don't see Sonic getting a radical redesign onpar with the Bayformers - from G1 or Bay Turtles. But I do think he'll get a "Blockbuster" update. I.e Realistic fur texture on arms and muzzle, slightly toned down proportions. I could see them giving his shoes and gloves a slighty more high tech/sleeker alien design. General aesthetic modifications. A more blockbuster friendly design.

Tails I could see getting more techy: teenage_tails___coa_aco_reload_by_capnch

Also these propotions for the characters

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, we don't know if they will get redesigns or not, but I think the Sonic characters could keep their designs but could have some realistic fur on them like this picture.:

sonic.jpg

So, we will have to see about this in the future.

• Thumbs Up 7

Nobody here has told me if Sonic even has an audience for this movie. DC characters, Transformers, the X-Men are relevant and have appeal to diverse ages or had enough nostalgia to sail on. The Angry Birds are easily one of the big-time games of its generations without being too panned ala Sonic so of course it didn't do too bad.

Going from criticial scores and success of games like Sonic 1 Mobile and Sonic Mania if they're playing to nostalgia they would be better served to model the film within the world and tone of the Genesis era. And yet I suspect they wouldn't do that.

19 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I don't see Sonic getting a radical redesign onpar with the Bayformers - from G1 or Bay Turtles. But I do think he'll get a "Blockbuster" update. I.e Realistic fur texture on arms and muzzle, slightly toned down proportions. I could see them giving his shoes and gloves a slighty more high tech/sleeker alien design. General aesthetic modifications. A more blockbuster friendly design.

Tails I could see getting more techy: teenage_tails___coa_aco_reload_by_capnch

Also these propotions for the characters

The Cycle of Ages. I remember that Fanfic. :)

So according to an interview with the SEGA chief brand officer for Sonic and SEGA of America senior vice president, Ivo Gerscovich, he said this when he responding to the questions about the movie.:

Why do you think it’s taken so long for Sonic the Hedgehog to hit the big screen? Was SEGA just waiting for the proper opportunity to bring him?

Yes, we believed strongly that the Sonic brand needed to be treated in the right way.  Having the opportunity to work with such an amazingly talented production team with such a strong track record (like the Fast and the Furious films and the Deadpool movie) made the decision an exciting one for SEGA to take. 

Do you feel that a combination of CGI/live-action is a good mix for a Sonic the Hedgehog film?

The film-makers have a very unique and exciting vision in mind for the story, and we can’t wait to see how this blend of CGI/live action comes to life on the big screen!

So, it's seem that they are ok with the CGI/Live Action Part, not sure how they can pull it off, but we will see what happens next.

Quotes from this source.:

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/02/28/sonic-the-hedgehog-interview-movie-video-games-sxsw/

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Haven't posted here in nearly two years and I still see the same circle jerk of "this movie is totally getting made honest!" and "the movie has been delayed again."   Well, whether this turns out to be good or bad, I just hope its at least entertaining...if it ever gets made.    

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Tim Miller is still involved in this, right? Going from all of his Marvel and Sonic work and even letting his old partner from when they were doing CG cinematics for Sega in the early 2000s was all a bunch of great choices even if I'm not sure where the plot or story is going. I hope it's an easy to get in story that acts more as its own thing than an adaptation of any of the Sonic games like how comic books take elements from great storylines then do their own thing with it. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2