Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Can you imagine if we did actually end up with David Schwimmer? He'd make a good 'Sonic Man'.

Its the long awaited comeback hes been asking for.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

But has Marza ever done work for movies? Blur has history with blockbuster films and realistic animation. Plus they'e already did work for 06 and STH. They're a better fit than Marza imo.

And I wonder if they'e going to take inspiration from the Archie comics? Sonic Universe and thr intial run was amazing (Chaos and the Crown). Also the Sonic Scribes series was great too. For a movie adaption, taking elements from them would be great. (Mobius, Freedom fighters, Sonic's backstory, maybe even Sally and Bunnie etc) 

Well Marza also did a film called Robodog,  which I think it was cancelled. Chris Colfer (Glee) was supposed to voice the robot dog which is the main character, while Ron Perlman (Hellboy) was supposed to voice to the real dog. Don't know why it was cancelled, probably the studio didn't have the time to finish it.

They also did a short film called The Gift. Just take a look if you have the time.:

Also take a look at their demo reel.:

Also, Jeff Fowler isn't really well known director. The only movie that he had directed is Gopher Broke. Tim Miller also worked on the project.

Anyway, since I hear news of Blur Studio being involved in the movie. I posted a demo reel of what did they make, take a look.:

Here is their website link, if you want take a look of more of their works.:

http://www.blur.com/work/

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well Marza also did a film called Robodog,  which I think it was cancelled. Chris Colfer (Glee) was supposed to voice the robot dog which is the main character, while Ron Perlman (Hellboy) was supposed to voice to the real dog. Don't know why it was cancelled, probably the studio didn't have the time to finish it.

It's funny you bring this up since this is actually one of my videos. In fact, I'm currently in possession of more footage that I'll be uploading soon.

Don't want to go off-topic, but Chris Colfer was actually dropped from production in the early stages. If you compare his voice to any of the clips from that video you can easily tell that's not him. I actually only own one piece of short footage that has his voice. 

Since this was gonna be their first film they completely made on their own, I believe things got messy and the studio got busy with other projects. Something had to be dropped and since they weren't paid by some other company to make this film it was the least risky to cancel. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Since, we know that the Sonic movie will be filming in Atlanta, which I assume that the movie will set in a city which most likely Station Square, I could see the role of humans limited to Station Square citizens in the movie. Let's hope that the movie doesn't focus on them.

10 hours ago, BxB-Meister said:

It's funny you bring this up since this is actually one of my videos. In fact, I'm currently in possession of more footage that I'll be uploading soon.

Don't want to go off-topic, but Chris Colfer was actually dropped from production in the early stages. If you compare his voice to any of the clips from that video you can easily tell that's not him. I actually only own one piece of short footage that has his voice. 

Since this was gonna be their first film they completely made on their own, I believe things got messy and the studio got busy with other projects. Something had to be dropped and since they weren't paid by some other company to make this film it was the least risky to cancel. 

Shame, that it will probably never likely to be released to the public. The movie look very interesting.

Sonic just appeared in a Ready Player One TV Spot and there is supposed to be an unreleased TV Spot having Sonic running, rolling and boosting. Now Sonic's size here could represent his size in the movie. But if Sonic appears in this and Wreck-it Wreck 2, then Sonic would've appeared in 4 films counting the 2019 film.

• Thumbs Up 3

I had a feeling that there is a chance we could get casting announcements at SXSW next week. Hmm, I wonder who will be cast for the film. We just have to find out next week.

8 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sonic just appeared in a Ready Player One TV Spot and there is supposed to be an unreleased TV Spot having Sonic running, rolling and boosting. Now Sonic's size here could represent his size in the movie. But if Sonic appears in this and Wreck-it Wreck 2, then Sonic would've appeared in 4 films counting the 2019 film.

Cool. Nice to see Tracer and Sonic in the same scene.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I had a feeling that there is a chance we could get casting announcements at SXSW next week. Hmm, I wonder who will be cast for the film. We just have to find out next week.

Cool. Nice to see Tracer and Sonic in the same scene.

Maybe it's a hint at a Sonic/Overwatch crossover game. Just joking what are the odds of that happening. Also did it appear to me they showed Tracer's speed, but not Sonic's, are they trying to show Sonic is slower. Since DC Comics is present in the film, I wonder if they'll have Sonic vs. Flash vs. Tracer.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2018 at 4:25 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Also, Jeff Fowler isn't really well known director. The only movie that he had directed is Gopher Broke. Tim Miller also worked on the project.

Anyway, since I hear news of Blur Studio being involved in the movie. I posted a demo reel of what did they make, take a look.:

Here is their website link, if you want take a look of more of their works.:

http://www.blur.com/work/

I wondered for the longest time where the guys who did the Sonic 06 and Shadow cutscenes went. 

They're the guys who wanted to do The Goon? And have done a ton of the well known CG cinematics in games for the last several years? Well damn. That makes me excited to see what comes of their team up with Marza Planet. That actually kind of sells me on the movie visually. 

Also Junkie XL of Mad Max Fury Road doing Sonic would be excellent to me. 

Story wise, well. You know, I'm going to need to know more about the material they're basing the story on and hope that they keep it to the simple Sonic vs Dr. Ivo Eggman Robotnik stuff and not going straight to a Sonic Adventure adaptation. Like first thing's first? Do a movie that is easy for everyone to get into, please. Wannabe dictator Robotnik making a scene, probably goes into Sonic's home looking for Chaos Emeralds, cue the conflict as Sonic finds his friends in robots. As much as seeing game locations would be nice I also want to see them just be able to adapt a simple story with some kind of tact without Sega telling them to over-complicate it by jumping straight into Chaos and the Pachacamac Tribe. Lore building can come later when you know this can be a film series. Thanks. We don't need the Sonic equivalent of The Mummy 2016 to be our first foray into theatrical Sonic films.  

Basic cast should be Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and good old Egghead. Maybe they have more friends, maybe Knuckles hangs out with the Chaotix. Knuckles can give Sonic a run down on why Eggman wants emeralds. Maybe Sonic has childhood friends that he visits and hangs with and this is where he comes to his meet up with Robotnik. Or maybe they'll play this off as having already happened a ton because Sonic doesn't have a games origin story and didn't need one. Most Sonics don't have that to do for the first story so it should make it really easy to write a simple easy accessible story. 

But I mean, if you really wanted to go on the angle that Sonic and the Eggman have been at it for a long time and that the Doctor is doing this all for a grab of power maybe you could have Sonic have a little group of friends who fights him. You know?   ;3c It's kind of extremely in line with how things usually go in these stories, anyways and isn't as games inaccurate as it's been blown out to be for the last decade among Games Purists. A little bit of taking what people like and know well works. 

Maybe throw some nods and mythology gags for fans like us who know way too much about this franchise but keep those as background details and focus on the stuff that is immediately clear to the casual fans. Sonic and friends go on adventures and usually stop that egotist Eggman from doing something crazy. Simple. Keep it Simple. Do the crazy stuff later. Also, don't agonize on where Chaos Emeralds are seeing as that is a common complaint about Marvel's Infinity Stone issue in the MCU. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehh.. I don't think they'll be able to get away with not telling the audience about Sonics origin story. This isn't like the games where things just "are". They can't have him jusy randomly show up out of nowhere. Sonic's past will have to be established in his first movie and he'll need to be fleshed out as a character and have layers like any well-written character should. Otherwise he'll just be a cardboard cutout. The comics do a great job of adding more layers to Sonic's character. 

Same applies to Dr. Eggman. Unless this movie is aiming to be a parody or simplified movie aimed at 8 year olds, the characters need to be more than archetypes. The last time we got any REAL character development for Sonic was in Sonic Unleashed.

52 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Ehh.. I don't think they'll be able to get away with not telling the audience about Sonics origin story. This isn't like the games where things just "are". They can't have him jusy randomly show up out of nowhere. Sonic's past will have to be established in his first movie and he'll need to be fleshed out as a character and have layers like any well-written character should. Otherwise he'll just be a cardboard cutout. The comics do a great job of adding more layers to Sonic's character. 

Same applies to Dr. Eggman. Unless this movie is aiming to be a parody or simplified movie aimed at 8 year olds, the characters need to be more than archetypes. The last time we got any REAL character development for Sonic was in Sonic Unleashed.

I agree with you and I kinda disagree with you too. I agree that there should be some exposition on what he is and where he lives and why its this way etc... but I don't think we need an origin story at all. The best example I can think of is the Angry Birds movie, there was no origin of the birds detailed but just a tone was set of who they are an where they live. I do However  think Eggman needs fleshing out a bit more on why he's hell bent on world domination , nothing too melodramatic just a bit of background. Heck even if they just say he's very unhinged that would be cool.

Now some of you are going to totally disagree with me on this  but I still think this is a direction they should take at least some inspiration from. I've always liked this.

According to Wikipedia Wall-E, from Disney/Pixar, is not completely animated and uses some live-action segments. Now if we look at Wall-E, we could see something similar happening with the CG/Live action hybrid for the Sonic movie.

Well, it's look like this movie is finally happening. Now we know when it will be releasing and where it will be filmed, I'm curious who and what places will appear in the film. I'm also curious what will the plot be about. Since the movie will be filming in Atlanta this summer, I guess we will see a city setting most likely Station Square appear in the movie. I guess we will have to wait and see some set photos when they started filming this summer.

4 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I agree with you and I kinda disagree with you too. I agree that there should be some exposition on what he is and where he lives and why its this way etc... but I don't think we need an origin story at all. The best example I can think of is the Angry Birds movie, there was no origin of the birds detailed but just a tone was set of who they are an where they live. I do However  think Eggman needs fleshing out a bit more on why he's hell bent on world domination , nothing too melodramatic just a bit of background. Heck even if they just say he's very unhinged that would be cool.

Now some of you are going to totally disagree with me on this  but I still think this is a direction they should take at least some inspiration from. I've always liked this.

Hmm.. But why not flesh Sonic out and make him a living, breathing character with depth? He should have wants, golds, dreams. Why does he want to save the world? What history does Sonic have with Eggman. Everything doesn't need an explanation but Sonic needs to go on a hero's journey and come out of the end of the movie different then when he began it.

As for the origin story stuff... Every hero has a beginning and started somewhere. I know the different comics have diffent origin for Sonic. I think the OG Sonic has him as originally brown only turning blue after an experiment failed (Dr. Kintobor turning into Eggman) but that's why I hope they incorporate Mobius into the movie. So the audience understands that Sonic had a life on another planet and has long history with Eggman. I think it would even be cool if they showed Sonic's family like the Archive

And regarding Eggman; there are two ways they can do him - a comedic fumble to Sonic like Post-Unleash or a much more serious villain like he was Pre-Unleashed. I hope they go the latter route and make him a legitimately threatening villain. That Eggman in the fanfilm is a perfect example of how I hope Robotnik is portrayed. I want him to be compelling villain. He should have a reason for wanting to enslave all liviing things/turn them into machines. I'm imagining somebody like John Goodman or Bryan Cranston in the role.

46 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Hmm.. But why not flesh Sonic out and make him a living, breathing character with depth? He should have wants, golds, dreams. Why does he want to save the world? What history does Sonic have with Eggman. Everything doesn't need an explanation but Sonic needs to go on a hero's journey and come out of the end of the movie different then when he began it.

As for the origin story stuff... Every hero has a beginning and started somewhere. I know the different comics have diffent origin for Sonic. I think the OG Sonic has him as originally brown only turning blue after an experiment failed (Dr. Kintobor turning into Eggman) but that's why I hope they incorporate Mobius into the movie. So the audience understands that Sonic had a life on another planet and has long history with Eggman. I think it would even be cool if they showed Sonic's family like the Archive

And regarding Eggman; there are two ways they can do him - a comedic fumble to Sonic like Post-Unleash or a much more serious villain like he was Pre-Unleashed. I hope they go the latter route and make him a legitimately threatening villain. That Eggman in the fanfilm is a perfect example of how I hope Robotnik is portrayed. I want him to be compelling villain. He should have a reason for wanting to enslave all liviing things/turn them into machines. I'm imagining somebody like John Goodman or Bryan Cranston in the role.

You make some good points. I hope they can tell enough backstory in the film while also keeping the main plot alive and keep it going and balance it in that way. Yes , I liked the Eggman in that fan film too. Again , its a balancing act they've gotta come up with especially for Eggman. I want to see humour and some genuine menace.

As far as cast? I'd love to see J.K.Simmons as the good Doctor.

Thats this guy 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

You make some good points. I hope they can tell enough backstory in the film while also keeping the main plot alive and keep it going and balance it in that way. Yes , I liked the Eggman in that fan film too. Again , its a balancing act they've gotta come up with especially for Eggman. I want to see humour and some genuine menace.

As far as cast? I'd love to see J.K.Simmons as the good Doctor.

Thats this guy 

He's the one of the reasons I liked those Spider-man movies, because he made them funny. That's what I don't like about the newer Spider-man movies, because he's not in them. But him doing Eggman, I don't know, sure he sounds similar but I would still get the current voice of Eggman to do the CG Eggman.

2 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

He's the one of the reasons I liked those Spider-man movies, because he made them funny. That's what I don't like about the newer Spider-man movies, because he's not in them. But him doing Eggman, I don't know, sure he sounds similar but I would still get the current voice of Eggman to do the CG Eggman.

Oh absolutely , I'd rather have Mike doing a CG EggMan but if we don't get that J.K.Simmons is my first choice. That guy is a hell of an actor.

New Sonic stream has been uploaded to YouTube. I didn't watch the stream, but somebody in the comments claim that Tim Miller (the guy executive producing the Sonic movie) was in the stream closer to the end, was that true?

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.artofthetitle.com/designer/tim-miller/

Check the last ten seconds of that video, Blue. The guy that shows up looks a ton like him, though his tattoos seem off... But I mean, when was the last time anyone saw a recent picture of him? What was the last con/photo op anyone got to him? But uh. There's no denying that face. That has to be him. Oh shit

The fact that they pulled back over to the camera after showing fanart with a fan cover of Endless Possibilities finished to show him before ending off this stream is highly suspicious. So if I'm going to make any bets, I'm going to say that we just saw Tim Miller here. What was the last thing Aaron said before the end of the stream? "We'll see you next week at SXSW." 

... well damn. I think it's safe to say that it's actually really close to happening this time, everyone. Buckle up. It looks like they just confirmed Sonic the Movie is going to be a topic at SXSW. I think I'm excited now. I've been waiting so long to see where this thing has been going and am hoping the absolute best for it. Keep expectations realistic, don't expect to see concept art for the movie but don't count it out as a possibility to build up the hype. 

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/designer/tim-miller/

Check the last ten seconds of that video, Blue. The guy that shows up looks a ton like him, though his tattoos seem off... But I mean, when was the last time anyone saw a recent picture of him? What was the last con/photo op anyone got to him? But uh. There's no denying that face. That has to be him. Oh shit

The fact that they pulled back over to the camera after showing fanart with a fan cover of Endless Possibilities finished to show him before ending off this stream is highly suspicious. So if I'm going to make any bets, I'm going to say that we just saw Tim Miller here. What was the last thing Aaron said before the end of the stream? "We'll see you next week at SXSW." 

... well damn. I think it's safe to say that it's actually really close to happening this time, everyone. Buckle up. It looks like they just confirmed Sonic the Movie is going to be a topic at SXSW. I think I'm excited now. I've been waiting so long to see where this thing has been going and am hoping the absolute best for it. Keep expectations realistic, don't expect to see concept art for the movie but don't count it out as a possibility to build up the hype. 

But didn't Aaron say literally on the same stream that it won't get much of a focus on the panel outside of what we already know? EDIT: Found it

And I dunno about you, but I don't see any resemblance to Tim Miller. Here is the most recent video I found that has Miller's presence. Sure, it's still 5 months old, but I really doubt he'd look THAT different in 5 months. The face looks different, the person on stream has blonde hair, his tattoo is completely different. So no, I don't think it's Tim. 

That doesn't help on identifying that person tho... Maybe he's General Buzzkill

• Thumbs Up 1

That isn't Tim Miller in the stream. I see little facial similarity between that guy and the director. Still intriguing!

And Sega has also been denying about there being a racing game that toy companies affiliated with them keep talking about on that note, @Bobnik . I wouldn't be surprised if it's PR talk telling people to ignore the blatantly obvious info in front of us. 

But if that isn't Tim Miller then who is he and why does he look like Tim Miller? There's also all of this talk about the Man in the Mask. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

You've gotta hand it to Aaron and his team , a ton of companies could learn from this sort of marketing. It's intriguing and entertaining. The man is a genius.

Here I did a screen grab to compare the faces.:

E1321764-E4AB-4CCB-B5D8-C39C94CE71A8.thumb.jpeg.c5c8964a32bd7115b2a3188dc24bfea4.jpegD70E9888-D709-4857-BCB9-80BFEC4E7284.thumb.jpeg.6f6922f3ed9da39cecffa31af2be482c.jpeg

Don’t know who is that guy in the picture. But he seem to have bit of hair on the picture.  So, anyway the guy Aaron, mentioned about the movie, but he say that they might reveal a little more at SXSW. He say that they will reveal more sometimes in the future.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here I did a screen grab to compare the faces.:

E1321764-E4AB-4CCB-B5D8-C39C94CE71A8.thumb.jpeg.c5c8964a32bd7115b2a3188dc24bfea4.jpegD70E9888-D709-4857-BCB9-80BFEC4E7284.thumb.jpeg.6f6922f3ed9da39cecffa31af2be482c.jpeg

Don’t know who is that guy in the picture. But he seem to have bit of hair on the picture.  So, anyway the guy Aaron, mentioned about the movie, but he say that they might reveal a little more at SXSW. He say that they will reveal more sometimes in the future.

I spent what seemed like forever comparing pics of Tim Miller to that guy on the stream earlier , flicking back and forth from one screen to the other and I'm still not sure if it's him. He looks like him in some photos but not others.