Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

13 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

This is very old news but I found this segment from a conversation with the CEO of Paramount and Neal Moritz.

Yea, I know it, but I didn’t know they upload a video of it. Thanks for finding this.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/jim-gianopulos-paramount-sonic-the-hedgehog-produced-by-conference-1202406289/#respond

41 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Now I'm not a movie director, producer, writer or anything, and maybe I'm just too old-school in thinking, but the logical thinking for me would be "Okay, we're making a Sonic movie, let's try to aim this movie first and foremost towards the already established millions of fans of the franchise, and hope we bring in as many casual/mainstream people in along the way as possible.". What I'm seeing with this movie instead is "Okay, we're making a Sonic movie, let's try to aim this movie first and foremost towards mainstream people who probably never even heard of this franchise or just maybe heard of it once but don't know what it's about, and hope we bring in as many of the already established millions of fans of the franchise along the way as possible.".

And of course "some people just will never be okay with a movie that shows a different take on Sonic" because barely anyone asked for a take like this. Usually if you're a fan of something, you're not going "What I love about this franchise is X and Y", then go on to support a totally different take that has none of the elements you love about said franchise.

Is it really that hard to understand? Fans aren't that many, Sonic is a niche franchise, it's very obscure in my country, I have been waiting for something so that people can know Sonic where I live. This could be that something. Depends, if the movie flops it really means no one cares about this character.

For the fans, I would do an animated movie that is completely apart from the live action movie, something to please them, maybe classic, which could be that cartoon in the works? I think so.

9 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Is it really that hard to understand? Fans aren't that many, Sonic is a niche franchise, it's very obscure in my country, I have been waiting for something so that people can know Sonic where I live. This could be that something. Depends, if the movie flops it really means no one cares about this character.

For the fans, I would do an animated movie that is completely apart from the live action movie, something to please them, maybe classic, which could be that cartoon in the works? I think so.

Paramount has yet to sell anyone on this live action adaptation yet.

If it were fully animated then I think everyone would be on board.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

Paramount has yet to sell anyone on this live action adaptation yet.

If it were fully animated then I think everyone would be on board.

In fact, I'm not sold until I see it. And why can't we have both? A live action movie AND an animated cartoon for the fans?

5 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

This cake is meant for everyone, not just for you fans, you gotta share it. It's like I said, some people just will never be okay with a movie that shows a different take on Sonic. They will attack it by saying "it's different, hence it's crap".

Not that I'm not open to making some changes for the sake of a better movie, but if a Sonic movie can't succeed while being true to what Sonic is, there hardly seems a point to doing it at all. Even if it would end up being a "good" movie, it'd piss off the fans and leave everyone else with a false impression of what the rest of the series is like. They may as well just make an original movie and have it stand on its own quality.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not that I'm not open to making some changes for the sake of a better movie, but if a Sonic movie can't succeed while being true to what Sonic is, there hardly seems a point to doing it at all. Even if it would end up being a "good" movie, it'd piss off the fans and leave everyone else with a false impression of what the rest of the series is like. They may as well just make an original movie and have it stand on its own quality.

Of course it has to capture Sonic's spirit, otherwise no one will like it, I will be the first to hate it if that's the case and it looks nothing like Sonic. But being live action doesn't prevent that.

58 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

This is very old news but I found this segment from a conversation with the CEO of Paramount and Neal Moritz.

My current prediction for this movie is that it will be underwhelming.  Not necessarily horrible, because the formula they're going for is one that can work, but underwhelming because even if they hit their target perfectly it feels like they're aiming low.  This movie has revealed it has Sonic, Robotnik, and in a manner of speaking, Green Hill Zone; that probably isn't enough to make a great epic.  It might not be a bad movie, but it sure sounds like a bad Sonic movie.  Not to mention that even if it's s good buddy-cop movie, plenty of those already exist.

1 minute ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Of course it has to capture Sonic's spirit, otherwise no one will like it, I will be the first to hate it if that's the case. But being live action doesn't prevent that.

It sure does a lot to hurt it.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Of course it has to capture Sonic's spirit, otherwise no one will like it, I will be the first to hate it if that's the case and it looks nothing like Sonic. But being live action doesn't prevent that.

It kind of does, though? Sonic's setting is a fantasy world with some pretty out there environments, and in a world where the main characters are decidedly not human in design (even Eggman barely qualifies as a human going off of his proportions, Sonic 06 aside), so I don't see why going the live action route is a good idea. We tried "what if Sonic was in the real world" with Sonic '06. See how that turned out.

• Thumbs Up 6

14 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

My current prediction for this movie is that it will be underwhelming.  Not necessarily horrible, because the formula they're going for is one that can work, but underwhelming because even if they hit their target perfectly it feels like they're aiming low.  This movie has revealed it has Sonic, Robotnik, and in a manner of speaking, Green Hill Zone; that probably isn't enough to make a great epic.  It might not be a bad movie, but it sure sounds like a bad Sonic movie.  Not to mention that even if it's s good buddy-cop movie, plenty of those already exist.

I'm not getting smart or anything, but what qualifies as a good sonic movie for you?

32 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

For me, there was never an instance where Sonic set in a human world actually made it more interesting or better, it was the opposite instead, it was almost always a detriment.
- Sonic Adventure 1: it was bearable, because even when the setting was somewhat mundane (a beach with Emerald Coast, a city with Speed Highway), they spiced up the stage design to fit with the wackyness of Sonic. The worst offenders were the hub worlds, but being they were rather small and you could travel through them fairly fast, they were tolerable.
- Sonic Adventure 2: the emphasis of the human world was scaled back (at least in gameplay) by not including the hub worlds, so for me it's actually quite easy to forget humans are even part of this game. Once again, even the mundane human settings were spiced up to fit a Sonic game.

- Sonic X: the one that really demonstrated that human world + Sonic just doesn't mix well, at all. It would have been a fun detour idea for like 1 episode or 2, but basing an entire show around the concept was just..my god. The first episode was the highlight of the show, with the chase between Sonic and the S-Team, after that it all went downhill and just dragged on and on and on...never really did the humans and the human setting made Sonic shine brighter, it just constantly made me ask "Who thought this was a good idea?".

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Just so we're clear:

u9o6qdt.png

You believe Sonic to be a criminal?

Doesn't seem right to me. 

I bet he's constantly gonna steal chilidogs in the movie.

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Blatant disregard for speed limits

Technically speaking, Vigilantism is a crime. so you could bend that into being a factual representation if you wanted to.

35 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I could kind of get this line of thinking if Sonic at least looked like himself. He's stood alongside humans in environments based on real places a lot in the past so it wouldn't exactly be a betrayal of the source on it's own if the movie was like that. 

But on a basic level there's a lack of respect for Sonic's design that I can't get down with. That's his strongest quality right there. I would have taken a Modern Sonic with a little more texture than the animorph they seemed to have ended up with.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

I bet he's constantly gonna steal chilidogs in the movie.

Theory: He probably is not a trouble maker in this movie, he is just thought of as one.

Or his crimes are accidental.

Another Theory: He is in need of a friend because he is lonely on Earth.

18 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

I'm not getting smart or anything, but what qualifies as a good sonic movie for you?

Probably one that tells Sonic's origin story; at least as of the first entry.  Of course, establishing the sort of world Sonic lives in is essential to that, and part of the problem with adapting this series (particularly in this way) is that has never been concrete.  I think the most interesting thing about this movie, to learn if not to watch, is how and why Sonic is in it.  Is he an alien?  A mutant?  A cryptid?  Is his world already full of such creatures despite being otherwise human, ala Detective Pikachu?  I doubt they can play this as a real-world plot if the giant blue superpowered hedgehog is just "there".

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Blatant disregard for speed limits

Technically speaking, Vigilantism is a crime. so you could bend that into being a factual representation if you wanted to.

That's the only way I can see this working, but please pardon me for not having any faith that this is what they mean, especially with him vandalizing the Golden Gate Bridge in the poster.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe Robotnik is an alien as well, but Earth does not know that?

And Robotnik has turned the world against Sonic?

Thus, sonic goes to the town with a big heart!

2 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

Theory: He probably is not a trouble maker in this movie, he is just thought of as one.

This movie better have a J. Jonah Jameson character..

"I WANT PICTURES OF THAT HEDGEHOG! He's just a menace to society!"
"He just saved a bunch of people!"
"Only so we forgive all his speeding tickets!"

11 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Just so we're clear:

u9o6qdt.png

Only a delinquent would be arrested by the government 😛  (Not being serious)

Hey, maybe this plot is gonna try to be Adventure 2.... na, they'd just ruin it.