Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

@PeterPancake, the question about peoples apprehensiveness and vitriol in general towards the movie should more be aimed at how much this differs from everybody's person viewpoint of Sonic as a character and series. Speaking for myself, I see Sonic as a globetrotting adventurer who helps out those he meets along the way revealing his heart of gold and strong sense of justice otherwise hidden by his cheeky attitude. To me Sonic is adventurous and doesn't stay anywhere for long so what I'm hearing setting-wise makes me apprehensive and what I'm hearing character arc-wise doesn't fit how I see Sonic. Nothing I'm seeing yet is selling me on globetrotting adventure, especially with "local rural cop" as a main character who needs a friend and will be a friend for Sonic at a time when he could really use one. That second part is even stranger to me since my viewpoint on Sonic's friendship with Tails is that it only developed because the fox boy could keep up and Sonic let him do whatever he wanted. Hopefully you can see where I have a difference of viewpoint than what is being presented and that likely most everyone else is in a similar position. So maybe you're right that the hate is being blown out of proportion, but if you consider the viewpoint where it stems from it might become easier to understand.

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Honestly, Patrick and me are on the same page. The hate is getting is grating. Having human characters doesn't = bad movie. I don't remember people hating Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. In fact, those games are widely considered some of the greatest in the franchise. Sonic X was awesome too. And guess what? Sonic having a legitimate character arc and character development that is true to the spirit of the character (Yes, Sonic has always been an edgy REBEL. The specifics and context changes but that core characteristic is always maintained. The movie is taking that trait and building around it) is not going to make this movie bad. This is an ADAPTAION of the Sonic franchise - Liberties are going to have to be taken in order for them to tell the best story they can tell. This is not Sonic from Sonic Colors or Sonic from Sonic Generations. This is MOVIE Sonic. If I had the same mindset here - I would have hated Spider-Man: Homecoming for taking countless liberties with the source material. 

And third, we don't know ANYTHING about the movie. Why are people leaping 500 feet to crazy conclusions? All we know is that James Marsden is in the movie, Tika Sumpter is in the movie and it's being written by Patrck Casey and the dude that wrote Cloverfield and 21 Jump street. We JUST got a general idea of the plot: a juvenile Sonic im a rural town who needs a friend- which is pretty vauge.  That is not enough to deem this movie a failure. At least wait for the trailer before writing the movie off completely 

I want to be optimistic on the movie, but the recent updates made me think that it's not going to be very good, but you are right, we should wait for a trailer before judging it. I don't know, maybe we will ended up seeing Sonic's friends in the movie, when the trailer come out. Who knows? I just can't see a movie with just Sonic.

Since, the film will set in a small town and they will set to filmed in Vancouver starting next month, they might filmed some of the scenes there. I don't think it will be filmed entirely in Vancouver. My guess is that they will probably filmed mostly in some random small town not too far away from Vancouver, like this one. The town in this picture is a town called Squamish, which is not too far from the city.

BIA-1500x1000.jpg

“What we’re trying to do with Sonic is make a movie about a small-town police officer..."

This, this right here is where you went wrong. Little hint for all the Hollywood exec's out there. When you use an established franchise as a base for your movie, your FIRST and ONLY thought should be how to bring the franchise's characters, locations and the things people love about said franchise to the big screen in a way that respects that franchise and it's fans.

Yes, you need to make as much money as you possibly can, usually by bringing in as many people as you can, and usually to a projects detriment trying to cater to them all. Its an unfortunate byproduct of dealing with investors, studio bigwigs and large sums of money. But when you feel you have to change and disect almost the entire franchise to a point where it barely resembles that franchise anymore beyond a character and a name, then you have to ask yourself why are you bothering?

People will notice....

• Thumbs Up 5

Just hope Sonic isn't a an actual 16 year old juvenile delinquent who wears a blue blazer and earned the "Sonic" from illegal street racing. Maybe "Tails" is the nickname of his best friend mechanic who modified his cars.

I'm starting to feel negative as well about the movie... I mean, it's probably fun and full of action as I hoped, but if Sonic is just shoehorned in, I dunno, if the movie is NOTHING like Sonic should be, maybe I won't like it. I'm not sure, could be interesting, still, I don't know.

16 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Patrick has a point

https://twitter.com/Pat_Kc/status/1005916902231662592?s=19

There are many other movies that are CG/animated hybrids that are nothing like Alvin and the Chipmunks or Smurfs. 

We've heard this talk before Forces came out

15 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Honestly, Patrick and me are on the same page. The hate is getting is grating. Having human characters doesn't = bad movie.

Here's something absolutely no one said here. What's been said is that over focus on human OC = bad movie.

I don't remember people hating Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. In fact, those games are widely considered some of the greatest in the franchise.

Meanwhile, Ow the Edge and Sonic Fantasy are both meme games. With humans not just present but prominent in the plots. And the Adventures' reputation kinda went down over the years.

Sonic X was awesome too.

If you ignore Chris maybe.

And guess what? Sonic having a legitimate character arc and character development that is true to the spirit of the character (Yes, Sonic has always been an edgy REBEL. The specifics and context changes but that core characteristic is always maintained. The movie is taking that trait and building around it) is not going to make this movie bad.

He's never been presented in his core games as being anything less than heroic even with rebelliousness (which shows in fighting a tyrant like Eggman, not murdering cops and doing drugs). Your suggestion really comes off as the thinking that got us Ow the Edge and Donte May Cry.

This is an ADAPTAION of the Sonic franchise - Liberties are going to have to be taken in order for them to tell the best story they can tell. This is not Sonic from Sonic Colors or Sonic from Sonic Generations.

It's more like Sonic Team has so little confidence in the source material so they went and gave the okay to the movie makers to try and make Sonic into Tony Stark.

And third, we don't know ANYTHING about the movie. Why are people leaping 500 feet to crazy conclusions? All we know is that James Marsden is in the movie, Tika Sumpter is in the movie and it's being written by Patrck Casey and the dude that wrote Cloverfield and 21 Jump street. We JUST got a general idea of the plot: a juvenile Sonic im a rural town who needs a friend- which is pretty vauge.  That is not enough to deem this movie a failure. At least wait for the trailer before writing the movie off completely 

The world won't end from saying a shameless cash-in won't be much good. It'll be lucky to be Street Fighter movie level. And I see no Raul Julia.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Just hope Sonic isn't a an actual 16 year old juvenile delinquent who wears a blue blazer and earned the "Sonic" from illegal street racing. Maybe "Tails" is the nickname of his best friend mechanic who modified his cars.

You forgot to add in the spiky hair to justify the hedgehog nickname like the pilot Sonic is based on in the early story concepts for the franchise XD

But more seriously 

5 hours ago, Tenko said:

“What we’re trying to do with Sonic is make a movie about a small-town police officer..."

This, this right here is where you went wrong.

I completely agree with this sentiment. It may be taken out of context, but even in context it doesn't read well. The first thing mentioned is not about the franchise's main character. If this franchise had a distinction between main character and title character like some 2nd person perspective stories then maybe. As is though it doesn't even make a lot of sense. Globetrotting adventurer, local rural cop. The first is what most people in the fanbase know Sonic to be and the second seems to be our main character for the movie which is not inherently wrong until you see hyper active delinquent adventures in a small rural town. The scope of Sonic as a character and franchise is completely reduced to almost unrecognizable proportions. Sure, the story could go from 0 to 60 to the speed of sound before you realize it, but the current impressions from what is being shared is not good. First impressions being the most important and all that. It's why Patrick Casey saying think GotG and not Smurfs is a better impression to leave (even though Sonic himself in the former would stick out like Howard the Duck) as it gives an example to where you don't even think about it being a CGI hybrid. The problem is though is that that impression is too late. It came after

“What we’re trying to do with Sonic is make a movie about a small-town police officer...".

You can't really reconcile that with words alone. It's time to show not tell but they have nothing to show putting themselves in a bad spot already. They've talked themselves into a corner and haven't even got started yet. Maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt but history and these first impressions are already building a case against them.

So, if you'll humor me, let me change the quote and provide you with a pitch that might better appeal to fans and sell an action adventure story

"What we're trying to do with Sonic is tell a modern Indiana Jones story with a Sonic twist where he ends up helping out a member of a PMC (Private Military Contractor/Company) who is desperately in need of a  friend, and we hope that this theme is friendship is what gives the film its heart and makes it prosper."

Now this could sell the idea of globetrotting adventure with Eggman replacing Nazis and a member of a PMC selling action while making fans think of G.U.N, without alienating your audience. Further, by replacing local rural cop with a PMC mercenary trying to make a living Sonic is the one sharing his philosophies and you can explore where they come from through the audience surrogate. And the best part is, the scale of the character and franchise is never dialed back. You can even use as many human characters as you want and even push the romance angle for our audience surrogate if you want just by PMCs having the storytelling potential for close bonds to form within or with rival companies. It is even easier to sell Sonic and anthros as part of the world . Imagine this as you're teaser if you will

"A radio sitting on the counter of a food truck is playing news report about a mysterious ruin strewn island appearing in the middle of nowhere and that strange readings have been detected coming from it. The camera pulls back to show the truck owner/operator/vendor serving preparing a chili dog, and as he puts he it down on the counter he asks; So I guess this means you'll be off to your next adventure, huh? The camera turns around to show the audience a familiar smirk before cutting to the title."

With the above pitch and this type of teaser you're selling a Sonic the Hedgehog adventure that is set in a world where Sonic and humans coexist. Now, when you put together a full trailer you can introduce our audience surrogate as action character as well and show us just how badly he needs things to go his way when the PMC he is part of inevitably gets hired to beat everyone else to whatever artifact is on the island. From there you can introduce Eggman as the main competing faction and even make use of Knuckles as treasure hunter himself who provides additional conflict and action. Following this concept you merge the worlds naturally, have action and adventure, keep your audience surrogate, and keep the scope of the characters and the adventures they go on. Best of all, it looks like a summer blockbuster instead of niche holiday movie right out of the gate.

Anyway, I hope that serves as adequate constructive criticism and shows why Tom the local rural cop is the friend teenage delinquent hyper active Sonic needs is way too small a story in scope. Sonic has always been over the top with space stations and orbital weapons, industrial cities and eco-devastation , magical artifacts and planets hanging in the sky, flying islands and gods, and even military organizations at parts of his history. Even the original game in the franchise took place on an island that drifted on the seas and was home to legendary artifacts. Tom the rural cop is quaint, and does not sell what Sonic is and that is why people are drawing Smurfs comparisons instead of GotG. Or at least that's my take.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

I know the movie was going to be filmed in a cheaper place like Atlanta and Vancouver. Most movies are filmed in cheaper places these days. However, they probably choose Vancouver, because it was cheaper and comfortable there. It's weird that it is going to be about some random cop and Sonic who become friends. There may be an chance that none of Sonic's friends are appearing in the movie. I don't know why the movie have to be Live Action/CGI hybrid, when the movie can be like this.:

tumblr_pa640zetIB1tjbzieo1_540.gif

I don't know, just hope that the movie ended up to be an surprise, because right now at this point, it's doesn't seem to be good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Is anybody else expecting Sonic product placement? Like Sonic going to Sonic Drive-In for a Chili-Dog or Tom the Cop driving around in a Chevrolet Sonic Car?

Hopefully Craig-smith isn't voicing Sonic. Really don't care for his take on the character, his voice just doesn't fit Sonic at all imo. I rather have Jaleel White back or someone like Evan Peters or Aaron Taylor-Johnson 

Hi guys I just noticed that Tim Miller's name in the credits for Sly 1. Now whether or not it's the same guy who worked on the CG Shadow and Sonic 2006 cutscenes and the Sonic Movie, I don't know. But if it's the same guy then that's even more interesting.

What if the movie isnot really about this blue talking manimal called Sonic, but instead, it's an origin story for the superior hero known as Sonicman? Yes! That Sonic man... the one from 06.

Perhaps the intention is to show how this Tom the police character has his life changed when he meets Sonic, and is inspired by the CGI rodent to live free, leaving behind everything: his dead-end job as a cop, his wife and kids, his debts and rent... all of it, and realizes the only one thing that truly makes him feel alive and fulfilled, as he changes his dusty uniform for some jeans, a white T-shirt with the Sonic the Hedgehog logo, and the stylish silver visor with blue spikes to fight evil wherever it shows it's ugly face.

Just imagine how in the end, both him and Sonic run towards the horizon, performing the infamous Naruto run just as the credits start rolling:

tumblr_mp3c770Ne81r01jsno1_540.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

Two bad movies in this man's entire filmography which spans almost 3 decades is cause to panic? Really, guys? We're sinking to a new low here. You could use the same argument against ANY film producer who produced  couple of duds. This guy's movies have made over 8 billion dollars worldwide.  He's been in the game a long time and knows how to make money 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Two bad movies in this man's entire filmography which spans almost 3 decades is cause to panic? Really, guys? We're sinking to a new low here. You could use the same argument against ANY film producer who produced  couple of duds. This guy's movies have made over 8 billion dollars worldwide.  He's been in the game a long time and knows how to make money 

I never want to see this movie to failed. When they revealed more details that hint the plot and the setting, I'm just scared that there is a high chance that this will become an laughing stock. You see, the Paramount CEO say that he was aware about the video game curse. However, when they talk about the plot, it's seem boring and bland with only just Sonic. A lot of people reacting negatively to this, thinking that the film will be an joke and an cash grab. They think it would be better that the movie would be fine if it is just an animated film. I'm trying not to be negative, it's just that all the news so far that they revealed doesn't like they just don't care. I will try to stay optimistic, besides I think James and Tika are fine picks for the movie. I will loved to be proved wrong.

Being an optimist and a realist is hard.  

The talent behind this movie that we know of so far has actually done pretty good work. Marza always knocks the CGI out of the park. Marsden and Sumpter are big enough names to draw in folks like my parents who wouldn't otherwise care. The writing staff does seem to have a pretty decent sense of humour, and the directors have experience with fast paced action. But all of that talent would be for nothing if the story doesn't carry the spirit of the property it's handling. This kind of story isn't inherently bad, but the description doesn't feel like a good fit for Sonic's character. I see enough conspicuous writing on the walls to be concerned.

Here's hoping we get more positive news regarding this movie soon...

• Thumbs Up 1

So if it’s really gonna be centered around Sonic and a cop, I assume it’s a prequel to this?

BD595A80-59DB-4097-9FD1-E425D42B416B.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

12 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Hopefully Craig-smith isn't voicing Sonic. Really don't care for his take on the character, his voice just doesn't fit Sonic at all imo. I rather have Jaleel White back or someone like Evan Peters or Aaron Taylor-Johnson 

A.) Roger is the best voice Sonic has ever had. B.) I'm 99% sure Sega wouldn't be cool with them changing his actor since they want the voices consistent across media. 

So, I’m just going to asked this, if there is product placement in the movie, what companies do you expect be in? A lot of blockbuster movies used product placement nowadays. I could see a scene of Tom and Sonic eating at Sonic Drive-In.

9EE693C3-9A56-43A6-A747-E1C8B6BDB265.jpeg.b75c9eff3016ebdb2c711e6ff53dca95.jpeg

Maybe we could see a commercial for the movie. They did one for the Transformers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc62oG4JWBM

9 hours ago, Zavok the SpinningSilver said:

Being an optimist and a realist is hard.  

The talent behind this movie that we know of so far has actually done pretty good work. Marza always knocks the CGI out of the park. Marsden and Sumpter are big enough names to draw in folks like my parents who wouldn't otherwise care. The writing staff does seem to have a pretty decent sense of humour, and the directors have experience with fast paced action. But all of that talent would be for nothing if the story doesn't carry the spirit of the property it's handling. This kind of story isn't inherently bad, but the description doesn't feel like a good fit for Sonic's character. I see enough conspicuous writing on the walls to be concerned.

Here's hoping we get more positive news regarding this movie soon...

Hopefully, there were be some in the future. I’m looking forward how it will turn out to be.

it’s kinda weird that they going to filmed for only like 3 or 4 months, when the movie is going to be releasing next November. That’s a long time from now. I’m assume that it is going to released next November, because they need to create all the animations and the models for the film.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

A.) Roger is the best voice Sonic has ever had. B.) I'm 99% sure Sega wouldn't be cool with them changing his actor since they want the voices consistent across media. 

A.) No he's not. He's by far the worst because his voice doesn't sound like it should be coming out of Sonic's mouth. Sonic should not sound like a 39 year old man trying his hardest to sound young and hip. B.) I'm 80%. Sure Sega will be fine with it. As we're already starting to see - the filmmakers seem to have a good deal of creative freedom and they may have a completely different vision for what Sonic should sound like. Roger Craig-Smith said himself a couple of years ago that he doesn't expect to be involved with the movie. The little we've heard about Sonic's personality already does not fit Smith's gruff voice. I wouldn't be surprised if they got somebody really young to do this version of Sonic's voice like Tom Holland, Collin Ford or Asa Butterfield if they really want to lean into the idea of Sonic being a kid. But someone like Evan Peters, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Dylan O'Brien, Zac Efron etc are all better fits for Sonic than Craig-Smith.

And no, Sonic's movie VA will likely be too expensive for Sonic Team so Roger will unfortunately still be his VS in the games. But Movie Sonic will almost certainly be it's own branch entirely.

I think the title of the movie is probably going to be "Sonic" it's been mentioned several time by the dailies and even the President himself 

59 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I think the title of the movie is probably going to be "Sonic" it's been mentioned several time by the dailies and even the President himself 

Well that's a good sign

• Thumbs Up 1