Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

9 hours ago, SonicWind said:

And we have a plot synopsis:

...All I'm saying is, they better pull this off.

I wonder which Government. US? Federation? Eggman Empire?

I think it's too early to predict what's gonna happen, Tails, Knuckles and Amy, should be a safe bet but you never know. It's more likely that some of them have been already captured by the government and Sonic has to rescue them... er, like in Sonic X episode 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I think it's too early to predict what's gonna happen, Tails, Knuckles and Amy, should be a safe bet but you never know. It's more likely that some of them have been already captured by the government and Sonic has to rescue them... er, like in Sonic X episode 2.

This sounds about right. Maybe something happens on Sonic's planet (who wants to bet it'll be called "Mobius") and Sonic and his friends get teleported to earth somehow. Sonic escapes but Amy, Tails and Knuckles are caged and locked up in high-secure GUN facility. Maybe in Area 51? Sonic needs a friend because he's sad about what has happened to his friends, he's in  a strange world. 

The most interesting part of this whole thing is Eggman. How does he fit into this whole thing? Will he be a Mobian as well or will he be an Earth scientist and robotics manufacturer? Lot of different routes they can take with Eggman.

I think it would be cool if we saw his name tag and it read "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" or something. Little Easter eggs for the fans.

I hope they also take inspiration from the comics. It would be cool if they fleshed Sonic out as a character and he had family on his planet (i.e Uncle Chuck). The comics are rich with material to mine from to flesh out not only Sonic but the planet Mobius itself. Maybe we'll see a bunch of familiar faces during the opening scene on Sonic's planet.

I hope that even if they won't start filming until September we get a look at Sonic's model at Comic Con Next month or at least at New York Comic Con in October.

• Thumbs Up 3

To all the ones who gave up already on the movie: I think it's in more than good hands, remember that the director of Deadpool is here, and the producers of Fast and Furious, so I trust this team, plus Marza for the animation, obviously.

Inb4 they use the counterargument that video game movies suck. I just want something that has action and is funny though.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

It's also worth mentioning that he said that he expects Sonic to get some sort of redesign for the movie when a fan asked him on Twitter. Because even he's aware of how absurd this would look trying to pass off in any semblance of a serious story

Didn't Van say that their designs won't be too extreme, and that everybody want it to look and feel like Sonic, according to this tweet 2 years ago?

https://twitter.com/VanTheBrand/status/810254621901930496

However, recently back in February, he isn't sure how Sonic will look like in the movie.

https://twitter.com/VanTheBrand/status/967262599900352512

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Didn't Van say that their designs won't be too extreme, and that everybody want it to look and feel like Sonic, according to this tweet 2 years ago?

https://twitter.com/VanTheBrand/status/810254621901930496

However, recently back in February, he isn't sure how Sonic will look like in the movie.

https://twitter.com/VanTheBrand/status/967262599900352512

Well, he's not part of production design but he's definitely seen some concept art, possibly early animation tests and story board art. (Which is kinda mandatory when writing your script) He has an idea of what he will look like but not a complete picture hence the "Somewhere between can't say and not sure" 

The point I was making is that he confirmed that there will be some sort of redesign to fit Sonic into our world which means - The Unleashed model is not going to be lazily slapped onto the big screen like everyone here is suggesting.

Still not a fan of the movie, but not fond of the many suggestions that a movie about Sonic should just be an adaptation of a game. I'd want to watch something new, not Literally Just One of the Sonic Adventures But Not Playable. I'd say it shows little imagination, but.. I can't really think of what a good Sonic movie should be about aside from the basic premise of "Sonic and friends fight Eggman to save the world"🤷‍♂️

Good lord the more I read about this, the more I realize how much these studio heads have COMPLETELY missed the mark on this.  Here you have a property involving fantasy elements, engaging visuals, interesting characters with a multitude of storyarcs to adapt (mostly the GAMES), yet here they are, squandering the creativity on something bland and unoriginal.  There's a reason why Sonic Mania became a massive hit.  It replicates the style, aesthetic and IMAGINATION of what made the series popular.  Im just tired of these cliche narratives where the mysterious-animal-creature from another world is transported to the human world and has to adapt with "hilarious" consequences.  It seems everytime a cartoon character is being placed in a live action environment, that's their go-to template.  As horrible as the Smurfs were, I gotta give them credit on the 3rd film cause they realized that keeping the characters in their whimsical homeworld is what people wanted.  To me, Ive always viewed Sonic as a apart of that sci-fi fantasy genre, and a feature film with such awesome imagery like Green Hill Zone or dare I say Knothole Village, should be proudly showcased.  It's being faithful to the source material.  Regardless if its for a general audience, it introduces them to the iconic landscapes/characters while appeasing the fans.  

Also, CGI has drastically improved in the last 20 years where this can easily be pulled off.   It just takes a crew who's passionate and has some knowledge of the Sonic mythology.  So far, I see a lack of both.  It only further proves that talented Sonic fans are the only ones who should be involved with the property.  Again, look at Sonic Mania's crew.  It will truly take a dream team of that nature to successfully develop a Sonic movie that captures its tone and style.

So, If the format is live action, then I don't see why they couldn't just film live action backgrounds, alter some of the terrain with recognizable structures from the games.comics, or whatever in post and construct a believable world that Sonic and his friends blend in with.   

I just feel these Hollywood adaptations of famous/endearing characters ALWAYS take the lazy and cookie-cutter approach for a quick buck, and its sadly the impression I'm getting every time an update of this...THING...is posted.  Plus I just find it odd that we recently had announcements for two generic human characters yet the only human that should really matter is Robotnik/Eggman. 

Overall, this production is raising a ton of red flags and I have little confidence that it will be even entertainingly bad.  Just boring and forgettable.  An average romp that played it safe with no risks.          

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, we don't know, if this going to end up really badly or not. What we know so far is that Marza and Blur are creating the animations for the movie. Neal H. Moritz  (Fast and Furious, S.W.A.T., 21 Jump Street, I Am Legend, Vantage Point, XXX, Battle: Los Angeles, and The Green Hornet) and Marza producers Takashi Ito (Sonic: Night of the Werehog) and Mie Onishi will produce the movie. Tim Miller and Toby Ascher will be executive producers of the film, while Tim's partner, Jeff Fowler will direct the movie, which this will be the first time that he will direct an feature film. He only direct a short film called Gopher Broke. Dan Jevons and Dmitri M. Johnson will be co-producers of the movie. The script used to be written by Van and his partner Evan (Fist Fight), now written by Josh Miller and Patrick Casey (Golan the Insatiable). However, they only write the first draft, but this guy named Orel Uziel (22 Jump Street and The Cloverfield Paradox) write the recent draft. Next,  we know that the film is going to be releasing next November. we also got an logo that was revealed at Cinema Con. The logo may been an placeholder logo. it's common for films like Black Panther and Captain Marvel to get their logos changed. So that might changed in the future. we know that James Marsden (Westworld, Anchorman 2, Hop, Superman Returns, 2 Guns, and X-Men) and Tika Sumpter (Ride Along and Salt) have been casted in undisclosed roles. We know that they will both play an important part in the movie, but we don't know who they will be playing as. I think James will play the cop guy. We also know that filming will start in Vancouver next month. Filming is also planning to filmed in Highway 19 and an town called Ladysmith which will start filming at both of these places in September. However, we know that it's will be about some cop who will be helping Sonic to fight against Eggman. So, that's all we know. You know, even though this movie probably won't likely be perfect, I'm hoping that it will be an decent enjoyable action packed movie to watch. Also, I'm hoping some of Sonic's friends like Tails, Amy, and Knuckles might end up appearing in this, maybe Rouge could appear in this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@a knothole resident We could still see Green Hill Zone and other iconic zones from the franchise. For all we know the final battle could take place completely in Sonic's homeworld. I dont think you should write this movie off yet. We still don't know much about it 

What? Doesn't Tom the Cop sound like a fun character, AKR? I mean, surely this is the Star Lord to Sonic's Rocket Raccoon, am I right? Yessir. Sonic is a juvenile delinquent mutant hedgehog running around on Mobi- I mean Earth bumming around with his friend Tom where he learns he doesn't have to be some lawless punk like some people who've been painted as a group of Eco Terrorists. Surely, the law will take care of the evil Dr. Eggman. You just have to let Sonic be a distraction and keep him from being abducted away to Area 51. 

... are we sure this isn't a hoax by someone who watched Sonic X? I'm pretty sure this is the Second Episode of Sonic X but now Sam Speed is totally Sonic's bestie for life. 

On 6/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, PeterPancake said:

I ordeecirisyr

I appreciate the in-depth post and I understand your concerns. 

But if Sonic looked like this, for example, would you be angry?

WRgnKP3.jpg

Would that not be faithful to the original design while solving most of the problems raised in your posts? I don't completely understand the mindset some have here. Sonic looking like a cartoon is not an essential aspect of his recognizability nor is it vital to his iconography. Sonic having two eyeballs merged together is not essential for a faithful design. That image above is Immediately recognizable as Sonic the Hedgehog - only difference is, it looks more realistic. I think the design is going to something like that and I doubt Sega would have any problem with that whatsoever considering the subject and nature of this movie. Doing something like the above is completely different from doing something like this:

67WJozW.png

Now THAT is an extreme redesign. That is what should never be allowed.

I think the problem here is that many here are so attached to cartoon Sonic that any attempt to change or ground the design in reality in any way at all is Immediately painted as "looking nothing like Sonic" and this simply is not true. Anybody can identify the above as Sonic and that's the most IMPORTANT thing. You should not be expecting Sonic's 3D model from the games to be superimposed into the movie.  That's not going to work for anybody else besides established fans. The fact that someone though that cheesy McDonald's commercial with CG Sonic would be "Badass" if the movie had the same art style shows how out of touch some are with the GA. Absolutely nobody would think that looked badass or cool, they would think it look as ridiculous and dumb. 

I guess we'll see what happens. I was right about the celebrity actors, I was right about the human being the lead.. We just have to wait for the first pic of Sonic...

image.gif.dccc5f76e8c5449608f1aff11ebb5d2e.gifOf the two pics you provided I honestly expect something similar to the top but with more realistic sized eyes. However, that does not mean I find it acceptable. To me, this is the definitive Sonic the Hedgehog.

sonic-cd.jpg

Sure, it's a hyper-stylized character in a style reminiscent of Felix the Cat, but that is what brought me into the franchise in the first place; the imagery. I also fully acknowledge that it doesn't work in a real life setting, hence the reason I'm someone you can count as against a live action adaption in the first place. Some things just don't work because they can't be translated or adapted faithfully. As an example let's take a part of one of your responses elsewhere on the thread.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:48 PM, PeterPancake said:

I'm using these designs as an analogy to cartoon Sonic from the games. I know WHY they looked the way they looked back in day, I know about the Circus strongman thing, Batman being kid friendly and Iron Man's suit being based on retro futurism but that's not the point I was making. What I'm trying to say is - all of these old-school, cartoony designs would never work for the modern audience and if they showed up in those outfits - they would be impossible to take seriously. These change and adapt for a reason and Sonic's Looney Toons-esque design falls into the same category as those Silver Age designs.

What does this have to do with my argument against cartoon Sonic? If anything, it strengthens it. Burton knew that the classic blue and grey spandex suit with the trunks would never work w the story he was trying to tell. So he essentially reinvented Batman's entire look. Instead of grey spandex, we got black body armor. Instead of the white eyes we got Keaton behind the cowl with  panda makeup around his eyes. There were no trunks on the suit either. This was a completely new look for Batman that still kept the iconography of the character intact but it was still a radical departure from the comics:

batman.jpg Using the same thought process Burton used when discarding the Neil Adams look - movie Sonic would look like this:

fjScD3F.jpg

Batman did indeed have to change, but how much? You say it's drastic and provide another example of a realistic Sonic, but the comparisons are night and day to me. Both the Tim Burton Batman and the comic art comparison share the same silhouette even if the details are different. In the case of your realistic Sonic examples neither have this silhoutte

HotMeiNi-13-5-10CM-Games-Sonic-the-Hedge

While the top example in this post is close, there can be no question that the silhouette is different unlike the Batman examples. Even for as disliked as they are, the Bay Turtles still have the same iconic silhouettes as they always have. Now also consider the merchandise side of things, as SEGA is a Japanese company and the real money, like with Star Wars, is in merchandising. You are going to have to take whatever the movie design will be and sell it next to other Sonic branded merchandise which uses the iconic look. And how many people are familiar with that image? Well consider, in 2015 Sonic Dash surpassed 100 million downloads (http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/08/sonic-dash-passes-100-million-downloads)and had 14 million concurrent players a day (https://venturebeat.com/2015/06/08/sonic-thrives-on-mobile-100m-dash-downloads-14m-monthly-players/) Now also consider that the Sonic Twitter account alone has almost 6 million followers and that as more and more merchandise and clothes come out that more and more people are exposed to that image on a daily basis. If not for BOOM! setting the precedent to deviate even slightly, doing so would almost be the height of foolishness. 

Their is though one more difference though which is not being addressed though involving any of the examples that any party has argued on this topic, ad that is intent. Outside of Sonic himself, every character that we've posted has been intended to exist in a setting with characters who are supposed to be plausible in real life. Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, The Ninja Turtles, Rocket Raccoon, even Howard the Duck, are all characters that were designed to exist in a world extraordinarily similar to our own. Sonic on the other hand, well, just look at the wildlife

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfKSktrRiqge_Nm2uTe7i

If you can tell me that those are realistic designs then perhaps the only human present in the original game might better prove my point

latest?cb=20170716190331

If that looks like an attempt to be realistic instead of impressionistic then I'll just have to concede that we are on different wave lengths. Regardless, I've never seen Sonic as a franchise that was trying to be realistic, and as a result it has the freedom to not be limited by realism and do what it wants thanks in part to it's cartoon medium. To get rid of that for live action and realism is to undermine the freedom of the artistic choice chosen in the first place. As I said before, to me, this movie is a failure in some form or another and there is really no saving it. Not even F&F and Deadpool movie alumni can change that when I'm being told to think GotG with the descriptions like Tom the cop and the local rural townsfolk come together to save Sonic. It just sounds like a time bomb that's ready to go off before they've even finished building it.

image.gif

image.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

God, why do they always have to do a human focused adapation?

Because the audience will be humans. If there were no humans, no one could understand or relate to the film :,(

Sega’s so smart :,)

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

What? Doesn't Tom the Cop sound like a fun character, AKR? I mean, surely this is the Star Lord to Sonic's Rocket Raccoon, am I right? Yessir. Sonic is a juvenile delinquent mutant hedgehog running around on Mobi- I mean Earth bumming around with his friend Tom where he learns he doesn't have to be some lawless punk like some people who've been painted as a group of Eco Terrorists. Surely, the law will take care of the evil Dr. Eggman. You just have to let Sonic be a distraction and keep him from being abducted away to Area 51. 

... are we sure this isn't a hoax by someone who watched Sonic X? I'm pretty sure this is the Second Episode of Sonic X but now Sam Speed is totally Sonic's bestie for life. 

Just wait for the announcement of the child actors.  You know, the kids that will play the daughter/son of Tom or that woman actress.  Inflating the human cast and further detracting from the main character and focusing on some pointless relationship conflict Sonic will resolve at the end when we see 5 seconds of Green Hill Zone, Eggman, or ANYTHING related to the franchise.   

Guys  it's too soon to hate on the movie. At least wait for the trailer it might be different from what you think.

Although I'd have like a full CGI movie by Dreamworks or Illumination...

2 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

Because the audience will be humans. If there were no humans, no one could understand or relate to the film :,(

Sega’s so smart :,)

Same fam, I was going to pass this of as completely unrealistic and dumb (blue hedgehogs? pfff), but then I saw that there were humans! This just makes sense.

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

image.gif.dccc5f76e8c5449608f1aff11ebb5d2e.gifOf the two pics you provided I honestly expect something similar to the top but with more realistic sized eyes. However, that does not mean I find it acceptable. To me, this is the definitive Sonic the Hedgehog.

sonic-cd.jpg

Sure, it's a hyper-stylized character in a style reminiscent of Felix the Cat, but that is what brought me into the franchise in the first place; the imagery. I also fully acknowledge that it doesn't work in a real life setting, hence the reason I'm someone you can count as against a live action adaption in the first place. Some things just don't work because they can't be translated or adapted faithfully. As an example let's take a part of one of your responses elsewhere on the thread.

If the movie design followed the image above, movie Sonic would essentially be the same design you love albeit with changes to fit the real world. I must say - I also grew up with Sonic CD/classic games and when this movie was first announced - I was bummed about it not being animated too until the writer came out of the shadows and started giving small tidbits about the movie. That's when I realized the potential of what this movie could be. That this could turn Sonic into a Blockbuster bemoth in vein of the Transformers or Avengers. That's why I'm excited for this take on the character, personally.

Batman did indeed have to change, but how much? You say it's drastic and provide another example of a realistic Sonic, but the comparisons are night and day to me. Both the Tim Burton Batman and the comic art comparison share the same silhouette even if the details are different. In the case of your realistic Sonic examples neither have this silhoutte

HotMeiNi-13-5-10CM-Games-Sonic-the-Hedge

While the top example in this post is close, there can be no question that the silhouette is different unlike the Batman examples. Even for as disliked as they are, the Bay Turtles still have the same iconic silhouettes as they always have.

The first one definitely has that silhouette. 3 spikes with a circle shaped head and triangle shaped ears? That's the same exact thing. If this is about brand recognizability - If you made a poster with that design and had Sonic completely obscured only highlighting his shadow, his silhouette would be instantly recognizable as Sonic the Hedgehog. Everybody would know who it's suppose to be. And the Bay Turtles had a bunch of clutter and unnecessary items on them. But say you take all of it - their silhouette would look more like the Hunchback of Notre Dam rather than classic TMNT. Burton had the classic silhouette but the details on the suit were very different. I'd argue it was more of a deviation than the above Sonic design.

Now also consider the merchandise side of things, as SEGA is a Japanese company and the real money, like with Star Wars, is in merchandising. You are going to have to take whatever the movie design will be and sell it next to other Sonic branded merchandise which uses the iconic look. And how many people are familiar with that image? Well consider, in 2015 Sonic Dash surpassed 100 million downloads (http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/08/sonic-dash-passes-100-million-downloads)and had 14 million concurrent players a day (https://venturebeat.com/2015/06/08/sonic-thrives-on-mobile-100m-dash-downloads-14m-monthly-players/) Now also consider that the Sonic Twitter account alone has almost 6 million followers and that as more and more merchandise and clothes come out that more and more people are exposed to that image on a daily basis. If not for BOOM! setting the precedent to deviate even slightly, doing so would almost be the height of foolishness. 

This is a non-issue. Different versions of the same brand can exist on the market at the same time and not cannibalize or undermine the other. Spider-Man is one of the biggest merchandising bemoths in the industry and there are two different versions (technically 3) on the merchandising market currently (the MCU version and the cartoon version, as well as the generic Spidey products not based on any particular medium) When I go into Target and go to the Toy aisle, I see several versions of Spider-Man on the shelf. Not to mention the cartoons and comics which are all different from one another. Same goes for Batman, Avengers and Superman. Transformers even more so. In addition to the movie figures which have completely different designs - there are SEVERAL different Transformers toylines currently ongoing.

Heck, we already kinda see this with Sonic. Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic and Boom Sonic all have merchandise and tie-ins being made for them individually. Movie Sonic would just be another version of the brand to add to the merchandising catalogue.

Their is though one more difference though which is not being addressed though involving any of the examples that any party has argued on this topic, ad that is intent. Outside of Sonic himself, every character that we've posted has been intended to exist in a setting with characters who are supposed to be plausible in real life. Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, The Ninja Turtles, Rocket Raccoon, even Howard the Duck, are all characters that were designed to exist in a world extraordinarily similar to our own. Sonic on the other hand, well, just look at the wildlife

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfKSktrRiqge_Nm2uTe7i

If you can tell me that those are realistic designs then perhaps the only human present in the original game might better prove my point

latest?cb=20170716190331

If that looks like an attempt to be realistic instead of impressionistic then I'll just have to concede that we are on different wave lengths. Regardless, I've never seen Sonic as a franchise that was trying to be realistic, and as a result it has the freedom to not be limited by realism and do what it wants thanks in part to it's cartoon medium. To get rid of that for live action and realism is to undermine the freedom of the artistic choice chosen in the first place. As I said before, to me, this movie is a failure in some form or another and there is really no saving it. Not even F&F and Deadpool movie alumni can change that when I'm being told to think GotG with the descriptions like Tom the cop and the local rural townsfolk come together to save Sonic. It just sounds like a time bomb that's ready to go off before they've even finished building it.

image.gif

image.gif

I won't argue with you on this point. Sonic was certainly not designed to fit into a realistic world. But that's why this is an "adaptation" of the franchise. Sonic unlike say, Mario or Crash Bandicoot lends itself to this type of story more than any other franchise that uses "animal-people". There are several forms of Sonic media and games where the story has a "BLOCKBUSTER, Cinematic" feel with a relatively serious story set on Earth with humans. And this movie is clearly not creating an entirely new concept that the Sonic franchise has not explored before. Maybe this shouldn't be an argument of whether the the direction the movie is going fits the franchise but rather a debate of whether choosing this type of storyline from games and comics that utilize it is the right form of Sonic media to adapt and I'd argue "Yes" because it's the most natural fit for a Blockbuster Sonic franchise.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

If the movie design followed the image above, movie Sonic would essentially be the same design you love albeit with changes to fit the real world. I must say - I also grew up with Sonic CD/classic games and when this movie was first announced - I was bummed about it not being animated too until the writer came out of the shadows and started giving small tidbits about the movie. That's when I realized the potential of what this movie could be. That this could turn Sonic into a Blockbuster bemoth in vein of the Transformers or Avengers. That's why I'm excited for this take on the character, personally.

The first one definitely has that silhouette. 3 spikes with a circle shaped head and triangle shaped ears? That's the same exact thing. If this is about brand recognizability - If you made a poster with that design and had Sonic completely obscured only highlighting his shadow, his silhouette would be instantly recognizable as Sonic the Hedgehog. Everybody would know who it's suppose to be. And the Bay Turtles had a bunch of clutter and unnecessary items on them. But say you take all of it - their silhouette would look more like the Hunchback of Notre Dam rather than classic TMNT. Burton had the classic silhouette but the details on the suit were very different. I'd argue it was more of a deviation than the above Sonic design.

This is a non-issue. Different versions of the same brand can exist on the market at the same time and not cannibalize or undermine the other. Spider-Man is one of the biggest merchandising bemoths in the industry and there are two different versions (technically 3) on the merchandising market currently (the MCU version and the cartoon version, as well as the generic Spidey products not based on any particular medium) When I go into Target and go to the Toy aisle, I see several versions of Spider-Man on the shelf. Not to mention the cartoons and comics which are all different from one another. Same goes for Batman, Avengers and Superman. Transformers even more so. In addition to the movie figures which have completely different designs - there are SEVERAL different Transformers toylines currently ongoing.

Heck, we already kinda see this with Sonic. Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic and Boom Sonic all have merchandise and tie-ins being made for them individually. Movie Sonic would just be another version of the brand to add to the merchandising catalogue.

I won't argue with you on this point. Sonic was certainly not designed to fit into a realistic world. But that's why this is an "adaptation" of the franchise. Sonic unlike say, Mario or Crash Bandicoot lends itself to this type of story more than any other franchise that uses "animal-people". There are several forms of Sonic media and games where the story has a "BLOCKBUSTER, Cinematic" feel with a relatively serious story set on Earth with humans. And this movie is clearly not creating an entirely new concept that the Sonic franchise has not explored before. Maybe this shouldn't be an argument of whether the the direction the movie is going fits the franchise but rather a debate of whether choosing this type of storyline from games and comics that utilize it is the right form of Sonic media to adapt and I'd argue "Yes" because it's the most natural fit for a Blockbuster Sonic franchise.

Animation CAN create a blockbuster with an impressionistic art style, see The Thief and the Cobbler, for example. And I agree Movie Sonic would just be a drop in the bucket of merch. And I know abandoning the impressionistic style won’t be too much of a problem in the end. Power Rangers failed due to being mediocre, not because they ditched rubber-suit Kaijin in favor of CG.

49 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Tails' Channel got to speak with one of the writers:

HAHA, told ya he would have a more realistic design!! There was NO WAY in hell Sonic was going to look like this in the movie LacekN6.png

Nobody besides the fanbase would have taken something like this seriously, guys. 

37 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Tails' Channel got to speak with one of the writers:

The moment I seen you i the notifications I knew something happened. Well I guess we all seen this coming as predicted, I guess I did my Sonic movie/ E3 2018 recap video too early. I wonder now is this an origin story for Sonic sinse we never got one in the games.

• Too Many Rings 1