Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Why the pessimism?? The movie is made by paramount, produced by Deadpool director, has the animators from the SEGA cutscenes...

Come on. It can be as fun or better than Peter Rabbit!

49 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Everyone wants to hate this movie but I ask you - what would you have preferred instead?

A fully animated niche thing, probably. Yeah, I would preferred that too, I'd love something that talks about Sonic, and who he is, the focus being Sonic, which is not to say he is not in what we're getting. It's just cynicism based on previous efforts, but who made those shitty movies, I ask?

I already said that this strategy is to make new people get to know Sonic, they are the target, but yeah this thing is alienating fans, although there aren't enough fans to support the movie, so I'm not sure, I'm conflicted.

What in any of that conveyed "wanting to hate" it? I don't "want" to hate a movie based on the character and franchise I have loved with a passion since 1991...

As far as what I would have wanted? Everyone has their own personal "best" Sonic lore, or arcs in the overall cannon, what I personally would have loved to see on the big screen is subjective, as is anyone else's ideas on what would have worked best. What I would have wanted has nothing to do with this movie being a slow motion train wreck waiting to happen. 

I wish it was pessimism...at least then I would run the risk of being pleasantly surprised at the end of all this...

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love for this movie to be proof that a CGI/live-action video game movie can be good. So I’m staying cautiously hopeful. Hating it isn’t going to do anything for me, and being optimistic is a much better route, imo.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why can't there be a middle ground between being optimistic and blatantly negative?

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

What in any of that conveyed "wanting to hate" it? I don't "want" to hate a movie based on the character and franchise I have loved with a passion since 1991...

As far as what I would have wanted? Everyone has their own personal "best" Sonic lore, or arcs in the overall cannon, what I personally would have loved to see on the big screen is subjective, as is anyone else's ideas on what would have worked best. What I would have wanted has nothing to do with this movie being a slow motion train wreck waiting to happen. 

I wish it was pessimism...at least then I would run the risk of being pleasantly surprised at the end of all this...

So what if we find out Tails, Amy and Knuckles are in the movie? That would sooth some fears. The writers said Sonic is the main character, not Tom. Just because there are humans doesn't mean it's going to be a train wreck. Sonic Adventure was not a train wreck nor was Sonic X

Sonic X is actually very popular with kids, even the shitty dub, people are still asking for a season 4.

If people just keep continuing bashing and complaining about the movie, then, what the point of this thread? There is a reason why this thread exist. People need to calm down, the movie is still currently in development. Yea, I know the movie would be better, if it was animated, but it might actually end up be a decent and fun movie to watch. Who knows? On the bright side, Marza and Blur Studio are working on the animation for the movie. The movie is being directed by Tim’s partner, Jeff Fowler who also worked with Tim on cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. So, I doubt Sonic will looked creepy in the movie.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Drifting Jack said:

Sonic X is actually very popular with kids, even the shitty dub, people are still asking for a season 4.

I know I loved when I was younger. I've seen every episode multiple times from all of the 4Kids reruns.

• Nice Smile 1

29 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

If people just keep continuing bashing and complaining about the movie, then, what the point of this thread? There is a reason why this thread exist.

The point of the thread is to talk about the movie. If that means griping about it endlessly then so be it

30 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

People need to calm down, the movie is still currently in development

One can complain and be calm at the same time

• Thumbs Up 4

Just be open, guys. I’m personally looking at this movie as a completely new take on Sonic; makes it a whole lot easier to accept that whatever happens, happens. 

So, I figure since I've been one of the more pessimistic voices on this thread I should try to balance myself out by providing the chance for some positivity. That's not to say that it will be easy so I'll be phrasing my attempts in the form of questions for others to try and bolster up some positivity. So here goes.

1) We know that this is supposed to be a different Sonic from any other media, so what type of opportunities do you see for making this Sonic unique without compromising his core identity?

2) We've seen it said that the movie is supposed be about a rural town coming together to help the sheriff save Sonic from the government and to think GotG and not Smurfs, so how do you see this setting living up to the multi world spanning, prison break escapade, battle for an Infinity Stone epic that GotG was.

3) It has been said that a PG-13 rating is the goal and that the script has become more action filled since the first draft, so what type of action do you expect in a small rural environment that will really show off what Sonic is capable of?

Lastly) This is more of an honest question of mine than an attempt to stir up some positivity, but if we are using thetown and Tom the cop as our POVs and audience surrogates, how does showing the evolution of Sonic as a character work? To me this last part seems peculiar since really, with Tom as our audience surrogate it falls more on him to to demonstrate to the audience the effect that Sonic has on those he meets on his travels and to really sell who Sonic is as a character; a globetrotting adventurer who helps those in needs he meets along the way. With the town and the sheriff both getting billing above Sonic I can't see a strong character arc for Sonic as easily as I can see a strong character arc for town inhabitants as they are effected by Sonic's presence. In that scenario I think it would be difficult to focus on Sonic when you also have the government, the entire town, and Tom who is the most important to develop to sell Sonic's story from his POV. Sonic to me feels more like a catalyst than a natural part of the narrative with what we know at this stage.

Anyway, that's my attempt to stir the pot positively, so please show me some positive answers to these questions.

• Chuckle 1

Can we avoid the "you're just being blindly negative" shut down, please? That's really not constructive.

3 hours ago, Natie said:

Can we avoid the "you're just being blindly negative" shut down, please? That's really not constructive.

With all due respect, I'd also argue that constant negativity and pessimism about a movie that there's not even a trailer of yet... isn't very constructive either.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 3

33 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

With all due respect, I'd also argue that constant negativity and pessimism about a movie that there's not even a trailer of yet... isn't very constructive either.

Oh, yeah? Well maybe we should actively try to be destructive! That way, it'll cycle around into being constructive again. It's simple calculus.

• Chuckle 1

6 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So, I figure since I've been one of the more pessimistic voices on this thread I should try to balance myself out by providing the chance for some positivity. That's not to say that it will be easy so I'll be phrasing my attempts in the form of questions for others to try and bolster up some positivity. So here goes.

1) We know that this is supposed to be a different Sonic from any other media, so what type of opportunities do you see for making this Sonic unique without compromising his core identity?

My guess? Sonic starts out as a more extreme version of the way he's been always been portrayed. He's a rebel with attitude expect when we meet him, except this time he doesn't really care about being a true hero, he's a free spirit. He's mischievous and juvenile. I could see moments where does save people (this Is when the audience gets a glimpse of the hero Sonic COULD BE)  showing that he has a good impulse in him; that he's a good guy at HEART. But only when Sonic meets Tom and Eggman attacks does Sonic trully embrace who he was meant to be. 

2) We've seen it said that the movie is supposed be about a rural town coming together to help the sheriff save Sonic from the government and to think GotG and not Smurfs, so how do you see this setting living up to the multi world spanning, prison break escapade, battle for an Infinity Stone epic that GotG was.

Hmm, let's see - like Star Lord,  Sonic is essentially a criminal/prisoner (in the eyes of the Government) and he's on the run. The spectacle can come from chase scenes and fight scenes with Eggman. I think it would be badass to get an Eggman vs. Police and Army showdown to set up how much of a threat he truly is.

3) It has been said that a PG-13 rating is the goal and that the script has become more action filled since the first draft, so what type of action do you expect in a small rural environment that will really show off what Sonic is capable of?

Sonic speeding through traffic, spin dashing through hundreds of robots, Eggman's robots killing police officers, If Tails is in it - I could see a scene of Tails mowing down hindered of badniks in his tornado and saving people. We could also see Sonic's world- maybe the final battle takes place in "Green Hill Zone" between Sonic and Eggman. That will be a visual treat for the audience.

Lastly) This is more of an honest question of mine than an attempt to stir up some positivity, but if we are using thetown and Tom the cop as our POVs and audience surrogates, how does showing the evolution of Sonic as a character work? To me this last part seems peculiar since really, with Tom as our audience surrogate it falls more on him to to demonstrate to the audience the effect that Sonic has on those he meets on his travels and to really sell who Sonic is as a character; a globetrotting adventurer who helps those in needs he meets along the way. With the town and the sheriff both getting billing above Sonic I can't see a strong character arc for Sonic as easily as I can see a strong character arc for town inhabitants as they are effected by Sonic's presence. In that scenario I think it would be difficult to focus on Sonic when you also have the government, the entire town, and Tom who is the most important to develop to sell Sonic's story from his POV. Sonic to me feels more like a catalyst than a natural part of the narrative with what we know at this stage.

Anyway, that's my attempt to stir the pot positively, so please show me some positive answers to these questions.

Simple. The town folk inspire Sonic to be better than he is. Maybe he's never truly know what it was like to have a family or someone care about him. Maybe on his planet/dimension - he was an orphan similarly to Archie Sonic and he's always felt alone. So when the town folk come together to protect him from the Government, after he's bonded with some of these people maybe - that's when he sees the value in being a hero. He wants to help people after he learns this lesson. So when Eggman comes knocking, he knows what he has to do.

Tom is probably going to have some kind of sub-plot arc, I don't know - winning his girlfriend back? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I've actually worked up interest in the discussion here again. What'd I miss?

On 6/13/2018 at 10:24 PM, Miragnarok said:

The VERY original chipmunks looked more or less like real ones, even more than the movie:

uqSq89SOvwHeDaR7ypuoWWRzgMFvXjmKxicUOv5I

Any reason why that Black one's crotch is circled?

And what's up with the Owl?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:50 AM, PeterPancake said:

Like I said, rough idea. Heres one from Deviant art I found: S2NCl5K.png

And yes, it will make a difference. The Ratchet from the Future series did the same thing. It made Ratchet have more anatomically correct  proportions and it worked wonderfully for his design. 

This version for example is my favorite take on a more real Sonic yet and it encompasses everything I've been saying:

2rXdlqh.jpg

Now you can't tell this would not work wonderfully if brought into live action. This is the clasic design with more toned down proportions and an athletic build much like the heroes of Marvel. 

I'm...I'm not sure whether that's unnerving or goofy.

...Definitely FurAffinity tier.

I was actually kinda hoping someone would mention Ratchet.

That 3rd one isn't a bad starting concept to work off of. 

On 6/14/2018 at 2:01 AM, PeterPancake said:

There's a reason why designs are always updated or changed for these big budget blockbuster adaptations.

Why Captain America didn't look like this IadAdNs.jpg

Um, didn't he technically wear a more realistic version of that outfit at at least one point?

On 6/14/2018 at 8:22 AM, Marco9966 said:

Here are some official examples of mix of CGI/Real:

We need STYLE and APPEAL,

not useless over-detailing (although I find your art skills great, style is more important than details)

What's that sound Sonic makes?

What happens with Jim's face towards the end?

Also, you forgot one:

On 6/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Just my final two cents on the design problem with Sonic, I think if using comic book characters as an example then Rocket from GotG as well as Howard the Duck are better characters to look at comparatively as both are anthropomorphic animals.

640?cb=20120726080503

latest?cb=20140716181050

qtdyhgqqgi401.jpg

Now as you can see, both characters have changed a lot from their original designs (comic evolution and style changes notwithstanding), but Rocket has always had a design based in reality whereas Howard was pretty much a Disney duck. As a result Howard looks significantly less comic accurate than Rocket, especially in the eyes. Regardless though, both still resemble their current comic counterparts more so than not and are thus reasonably believable and recognizable. Arguably, Howard is not particularly aesthetically pleasing but that plays to his strengths as a character and does not detract from the movie since in GotG he is just a cameo character. The problem is, Sonic is even less realistic than Howard and has proportions more similar to Garfield. 

I always thought Howard looked kinda horrifying. Though him being subject to an explosion was almost certainly a factor.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:43 PM, PeterPancake said:

The fact that someone though that cheesy McDonald's commercial with CG Sonic would be "Badass" if the movie had the same art style shows how out of touch some are with the GA. Absolutely nobody would think that looked badass or cool, they would think it look as ridiculous and dumb. 

Um...which commercial, now?

On 6/14/2018 at 8:33 PM, SonicWind said:

And we have a plot synopsis:

...All I'm saying is, they better pull this off.

Well that's another good sign.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, Miragnarok said:

This might mean a lot more humans than Tom. 

The ending: Eggman escapes by oozing the entire town, turning them into the familiar Sonic cast, as it ends with a musical number.

What frik'd up movie are you referencing now? :lol:

On 6/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, Miragnarok said:

Rouge might work as having sold out to the government and looking forward to give Sonic the same treatment. 

Oh goodness, people are talking about Sonic being creepy in live action...

On 6/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Maybe Eggman will be hired by the government or GUN or the FBI. He probably might send his robots to capture Sonic. Maybe Metal Sonic will appear in the movie. I could see an scene where Sonic and Metal Sonic fighting in the town, causing havoc and mayhem similar to like this.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlaXylsMwQ

On 6/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, PeterPancake said:

The most interesting part of this whole thing is Eggman. How does he fit into this whole thing? Will he be a Mobian as well or will he be an Earth scientist and robotics manufacturer? Lot of different routes they can take with Eggman.

I think it would be cool if we saw his name tag and it read "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" or something. Little Easter eggs for the fans.

Can't wait for the government meeting scene to look like this

On 6/15/2018 at 3:30 AM, PeterPancake said:

Eggman is in the movie. Van (the writer of the first draft) confirmed he was in It. 

It's also worth mentioning that he said that he expects Sonic to get some sort of redesign for the movie when a fan asked him on Twitter. Because even he's aware of how absurd this would look trying to pass off in any semblance of a serious story

maxresdefault.jpg

And this heavily insinuates that the filmmakers are very aware of this problem.

Oddly enough, I think Sticks looks the best out of all of them there.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, PeterPancake said:

This sounds about right. Maybe something happens on Sonic's planet (who wants to bet it'll be called "Mobius") and Sonic and his friends get teleported to earth somehow. Sonic escapes but Amy, Tails and Knuckles are caged and locked up in high-secure GUN facility. Maybe in Area 51? Sonic needs a friend because he's sad about what has happened to his friends, he's in  a strange world. 

...I want to think about what you just wrote there.

On 6/17/2018 at 2:25 PM, Skull Leader said:

While we're at it, why not also include the health issues a living being with those proportions would have. You know, for the same of that extra realism? XP

Like what? :lol: 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:13 AM, Skull Leader said:

Given how SLW's premise of Sonic and Eggman got underplayed by the forced addition of Tails, who was pretty much a third wheel, I think it's for the best that none of Sonic's friends show up since, regardless of what people think about the human cop character, they'd end up distracting the focus at worst, or end up as glorified cameos at best.

Personally I'd prefer them to be saved for when there is an actual Sonic movie that does stick to the source material, even if that were to be something unlikely.

Was he? 

On 6/18/2018 at 4:56 PM, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Remember Sonic did appear in Ready Player One, although only for a few seconds. But he did seem to fit in to his surroundings. Now if he was around other humans and fit in around them I on't know because I didn't see it.

Now I can imagine Sonic still looking like Sonic with a little bit more fur texturing that I can deal with.

Oh, was he?

I'm still trying to figure out why that movie has the Iron Giant and Tracer and Gremlins.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:30 AM, a knothole resident said:

what.JPG

LOL Now thats a trainwreck if Ive ever seen one. 

One of these things are not like the oth-er :joy: 

On 6/19/2018 at 12:25 PM, DreamSaturn said:

How about Guardians of the Galaxy, then? Star Lord is the only human in sight in those movies.

Guardians is very much an exception, as far as I've heard.

And even then, Star Lord is the protagonist amongst a bunch of other human aliens, technicolored/textured humanoids, some more explicity aliens, and then Rocket and Groot.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, DreamSaturn said:

Infinity War set up Rocket as the main. 

After being established and getting popular in Guardians. And even then, he's still technically supporting Captain America and Tony Stark.

• Promotion 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Any reason why that Black one's crotch is circled?

He's... he's just holding a hoop.

• Chuckle 4
  • Fist Bump 1

I feel like that Sonic does not have to looked realistic, but as I already told you this again, he could keep his design but with some realistic fur. Like for example, in Super Mario Odyssey, Mario had some realistic hair, but still looked cartoonish and colorful in this picture.:

mario.png

This is off-topic, but in the game, he get to hang out with realistic humans and control an realistic dinosaur.:

Spoiler

900x.jpg

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_scrn04_E3.0.jpg

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'm still trying to figure out why that movie has the Iron Giant and Tracer and Gremlins.

I assume, that there were just there for pop culture references, since the movie Ready Player One is about virtual reality.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that making Sonic's fur/spines slightly more realistic is essentially what they've been doing in several iterations of his game model anyway; I don't think anyone really objects to that, on the grounds that it's already happened.  So far as Mario Odyssey is concerned, conversely, I actually felt that a large part of the point was that Mario didn't fit in and came from a visibly different art style (but not graphical style) to the more realistic elements.

18 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that making Sonic's fur/spines slightly more realistic is essentially what they've been doing in several iterations of his game model anyway

They really haven't. At some point they added some very subtle texture that implies fur (or spines or whatever), but it's almost unnoticeable unless you're looking for it, so he still doesn't look anything like an actual furry creature.