Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

21 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Wow. I mean, you're right, but you didn't have to explode at me there.

Yes I did have to explode at you. Needed to show that you were wrong!

Now let’s talk what what we are meant to be talking about in this thread, the 2019 Sonic movie. 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:22 AM, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, but you were kinda acting like a mod (which, again, you're not). If you have an issue with this, you could always PM the mods to step in instead of taking matters into your own hands and make yourself not well-regarded. Backseat modders never prosper.

If you had taken your own advice right when you made this post (or even better, just used the report button), this kerfuffle would never have gotten to this point.

Both of you kindly stop this backseat modding and pointless dick waving and get back on topic. If I have to step back in here again, I'm going to be issuing strikes.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

If you had taken your own advice right when you made this post (or even better, just used the report button), this kerfuffle would never have gotten to this point.

Both of you kindly stop this backseat modding and pointless dick waving and get back on topic. If I have to step back in here again, I'm going to be issuing strikes.

Thank you. I'm sorry and I'll strive to be better.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:13 AM, CaptainRobo said:

Well, ok, I guess I will stop posting these, if you want me to stop. Sorry about that.  

Anyway, here is the confirmation of two more actors joining the cast.:

Going to assume these are voice roles since they should be doing ADR for Post Production which would include Sonic's dialouge. 

On 11/8/2018 at 7:33 PM, a knothole resident said:

Considering that were in the post-production CGI phase, do you think we should tweet out to Jeff Fowler and suggest certain characters for the FX artists add in?  Not as main characters cause the film is already shot, but as background characters and cameos.  Obviously, we need the core characters.  Tails, Knuckles and Amy, but having other characters wandering around from the games, comics, and cartoons would be a nice love letter to the fans.  I know It seems a bit extreme, but this is such a rare opportunity to where I think its worth a shot.  Thoughts? 

15 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

My assumption is that if Sonic ends up going back to his home world or if Tom gets transported there at the end, there should be other characters there to occupy the scene.  I think in such a rare opportunity where nobody thought a Sonic movie would happen, after 27 YEARS of waiting, its at least worth a try.  We now have communication platforms that we never knew would exist today to reach out to the production team and voice our thoughts.  Twitter seems to be the most logical since everyone including people in entertainment are the most responsive there.  It would be a small victory to be in a packed theater and watch everyone point out their favorite main/obscure characters just wandering around in the background.  Plus considering how saturated this film is with generic humans, at this point, just having short second cameos would honestly suffice at this point. 

Twitter info in case anyone wants to reach out:

Director Jeff Fowler: @fowltown

Paramount Pictures: @ParamountPics

I don’t know. We could try, but they probably not likely respond to us.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Going to assume these are voice roles since they should be doing ADR for Post Production which would include Sonic's dialouge. 

Well, according to IMDB, Elfina Luk (Skyscraper) is playing the Secretary of Homeland Security, while Debs Howard (iZombie) is playing an New Girlfriend. I’m going to assume that they are going to have roles of some of the humans. They could shot their scenes and keep their involvement secretly. I don’t know, anybody can edit on IMDB. So, we will have to see if they are going to play some of the humans.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_ttfc_3

Here’s are the actor’s pages confirming their involvement in the movie.:

http://www.elfinaluk.com/resume.html

https://www.instagram.com/debshoward/?hl=en

DD19E97F-DBFF-40A0-A012-80B6B06763E4.thumb.jpeg.7a1b2a402318be172a6811eca2359db0.jpeg2391A2AD-2ECD-4C01-9DD7-208554126F66.thumb.jpeg.9f6941a9031042f44417db250c35789f.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

The way Pokemon are designed in Detective Pikachu are what I hope Sonic and friends look. This is the perfect example of translating the classic design in the way that remains faithful but not cartoony and out of place

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

55 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The way Pokemon are designed in Detective Pikachu are what I hope Sonic and friends look. This is the perfect example of translating the classic design in the way that remains faithful but not cartoony and out of place

I'm sorry, but while they look somewhat better than I expected, I still think they look hideous, and if nothing else, just further shows to me why adapting a video-game franchise that's known for having a cartoony style into a live-action-CGI hybrid is not a good idea. Then again, that's coming from the perspective of an adult, and I'm not the target demographic for these kinds movies, so if kids like it, then kids like it. I don't.

At least this prepared me for the reveal of Sonic's design for the movie even more.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I'm sorry, but while they look somewhat better than I expected, I still think they look hideous, and if nothing else, just further shows to me why adapting a video-game franchise that's known for having a cartoony style into a live-action-CGI hybrid is not a good idea. Then again, that's coming from the perspective of an adult, and I'm not the target demographic for these kinds movies, so if kids like it, then kids like it. I don't.

At least this prepared me for the reveal of Sonic's design for the movie even more.

You're in the minority, dude. People are loving the trailer and loving how the Pokemon look. If anything, this proves a live action VG movie CAN be done and done amazingly well. There is nothing wrong with this Pikachu at all 

IMG_20181112_113130.thumb.jpg.52a4bd305d1cfc429683f15c145452a7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Pikachu doesn't look too bad but it was already a cute little furry animal. Sonic's design is a lot more abstract, it's not going to translate directly like that.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Not bad, at least not creepy. I could see the same for Sonic and his friends.

29 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You're in the minority, dude. People are loving the trailer and loving how the Pokemon look. If anything, this proves a live action VG movie CAN be done and done amazingly well. There is nothing wrong with this Pikachu at all 

You see "nothing wrong", I see dead eyes looking into my souls and too much fur (even if it makes sense for Pikachu, unlike, say Jigglypuff). And it's not just Pikachu I'm talking about. Mr.Mime is on the verge of being uncanny valley creepy, Charizard looking like every other generic CGI dragon, but orange (which makes sense, sure, but it still doesn't look good in my eyes), and Greninja, well... Here's the model they based him off.

Spoiler

Dr0YYIcU4AICywp.jpg

And I dunno man, this is nightmare-inducing material.

I do understand there's people liking the designs, I do understand that I might be in the minority, and I said myself, that they don't look as bad as I expected, but this still isn't changing my stance and I'd be really weirded out if Sonic looked like any of the Pokemon, or even worse. And I specifically mentioned "video-game franchise that's known for having a cartoony style". I'm not saying VG movies in general. Cartoony style by itself rarely translates well into the real world, and Hollywood's take on adapting the style is not a good one IMO.

Like, some here that have already said what they'd like for Sonic to look like in the movie (aka this), and I'd be okay with this kind of a design as well. Any more fur, any more drastic changes, and he'll look really off-putting in my eyes, just like Pokemon in that trailer.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

You see "nothing wrong", I see dead eyes looking into my souls and too much fur (even if it makes sense for Pikachu, unlike, say Jigglypuff). And it's not just Pikachu I'm talking about. Mr.Mime is on the verge of being uncanny valley creepy, Charizard looking like every other generic CGI dragon, but orange (which makes sense, sure, but it still doesn't look good in my eyes), and Greninja, well... Here's the model they based him off.

Hide contents

Dr0YYIcU4AICywp.jpg

And I dunno man, this is nightmare-inducing material.

I do understand there's people liking the designs, I do understand that I might be in the minority, and I said myself, that they don't look as bad as I expected, but this still isn't changing my stance and I'd be really weirded out if Sonic looked like any of the Pokemon, or even worse. And I specifically mentioned "video-game franchise that's known for having a cartoony style". I'm not saying VG movies in general. Cartoony style by itself rarely translates well into the real world, and Hollywood's take on adapting the style is not a good one IMO.

Like, some here that have already said what they'd like for Sonic to look like in the movie (aka this), and I'd be okay with this kind of a design as well. Any more fur, any more drastic changes, and he'll look really off-putting in my eyes, just like Pokemon in that trailer.

But that's literally the game design with more defined details. Not even like Pikachu with the realistic animal fur, mouth and eyes, it looks like a Hi-res version of the game design with zero aesthetic changes to accommodate a real environment. It doesn't look real whatsoever and it would look like Roger Rabbit next to human beings. 

I disagree, Pokemon look cute. And Mr. Mime has ALWAYS looked creepy, the movie is merely translating that to live action. I hope the majority have a positive reaction to Sonic's movie design. If he looks like the Pokemon, he'll be won over by the most important audience aka the general audience. Whom are loving the trailer 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some of the Pokémon looked pretty much the same like this one.:

3EBCA185-0287-4517-947A-347B51A70879.thumb.jpeg.0b687b7a4c62ac5ec258c50b25e473ff.jpeg9077BD39-3021-4837-BC69-081E1C7D251E.thumb.png.eb4af9291f0d199b3218104ad311987d.png

I don’t think Sonic will looked creepy. Besides, Marza and Blur are making the animation for the movie.

I think the Pikachu trailer is exactly why people are so anxious about what they could do to Sonic.

Its less to do with Animation quality and more to do with how subtle details translate between styles. It almost never works 1 to 1. I can get behind the look for pikachu (his fur is to long but whatever) and the same style can bend and twist to work for others like Charizard but there is a hard line in the sand drawn when you get to more abstract creatures like Jigglypuff. That thing looks horrifying. What is supposed to be a cute and cuddly puff ball doesn't translate to this style and instead we get some borderline nightmare fuel.

I'll applaud the animation team for sticking to their guns and staying faithful to the original designs of their brand (something I believe the guys behind the Sonic move will do as well) but it does stand as a cautionary tale that psudo-realistic textures don't just work across the board. For every cute little Emolga your going to have to dance around how to best present a Greninja...

• Thumbs Up 1

...Uhh... y-yeah I... that trailer uh...

Okay.

I mean... I guess Pikachu, when you have the right angle on him, doesn't look as hideous as he does in some of the other shots in that trailer. It's actually possible to take a still screenshot of him in there that looks cute at least. 

Uhm...

What the fuck is happening in the world right now? Wh-Why...? Why is this...? I just... don't...

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay about the rings in the movie, supposing the current story description is real. How could these rings be used in the film? Maybe it's like the games. But here are some possibilities.

1. They could be used as a form of health, like in the games. Except being used a little differently. Like say Sonic is weakened and he needs his rings to regain his strength (a further extent would be speed). This one seems more likely.

2. This reason also comes from the games and that would be speed. In the film it could be possible that Sonic can't go as fast as the speed of sound, because he's missing his rings which provide his speed. I'm hoping it's not this one, because that would mean we probably wouldn't get a lot of time for Sonic's true speed to be shown.

3. Could be a mixture of the above 2-possibilities if rings are involved in the film.

4. Sonic needs to retrieve the rings to keep Dr. Eggman (Robotnik), from using them to make new stronger mechs (robots), maybe Metal Sonic. Since he believes the rings do the same for them as they do Sonic.

That's just about the only ways I could see rings actually being used in the film. Which I think the Chaos Emeralds would be easier to utilize in the film. Of course they incorporated rings into Sonic X (I'm not sure how they were used, because it's been a Long time since I seen the show), where they seemed to give Sonic added speed and strength.

Hopefully they'll be used in a way that makes sense to the franchise and Sonic's character.

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

You're in the minority, dude. People are loving the trailer and loving how the Pokemon look.

Then you most not be looking at the same tons of random twitter posts as me. Many MANY people are discussing how disgusting they all look. The only one that kinda looks alright is Pikachu itself. The rest shown is a perfect example of how to translate cartoons incorrectly into live action and how to disappoint a fanbase even on a casual level. Not that I expect you to understand as you think this kinda thing looks great. Taking a cartoon design as is and just adding loads of realistic textures to it barely changing anything else is a poor understanding of the original intent behind a cartoon's design.

• Too Many Rings 1

23 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Then you most not be looking at the same tons of random twitter posts as me. Many MANY people are discussing how disgusting they all look. The only one that kinda looks alright is Pikachu itself. The rest shown is a perfect example of how to translate cartoons incorrectly into live action and how to disappoint a fanbase even on a casual level. Not that I expect you to understand as you think this kinda thing looks great. Taking a cartoon design as is and just adding loads of realistic textures to it barely changing anything else is a poor understanding of the original intent behind a cartoon's design.

The positive vastly outweighs the negative. The trailer has actually made people who thought the movie was gonna be garbage, get onboard with it. For every tweet you find of somebody having a tantrum over awesome realistic Pokemon, I can find 10 more that praise the masterful translation from game to movie. You can't please everyone. If the Pokemon looked like Roger Rabbit like many here want Sonic look, it would stand out like a sore thumb. They had to change and they did it wonderfully.

I can't wait for the realistic Sonic. :D People will love him if he looks like Pikachu. The only thing you have to change on him are the connected eyes and the placement of his mouth. 

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Well.....he is a shock "mouse" so the fur seems appropriate.  This is just...wow...this is really happening.   Pokemon and Sonic will be entering the real world in 2019. 

So after watching the trailer it perfectly illustrated my point about background characters.  The first couple seconds, you see an assortment of different Pokemon just roaming a city street.  Can you imagine that with Sonic?  It CAN be done and more importantly, SHOULD be done.

• Thumbs Up 4

The only ones who really freak me out ar Psyduck and Mr. Mime honestly. Everyone else looks fine. Plus the movie itself looks like a joy so I'm interested. 

The picture of the Detective Pikachu movie set appears in January -> Trailer comes In November 2018...10 months

So, If we gonna assume that the time of production of Detective Pikachu and Sonic is similar. So...

Sonic movie shoots in July so maybe the first Sonic trailer will hit approximately in May 2019

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SmezMorePrakezz said:

The picture of the Detective Pikachu movie set appears in January -> Trailer comes In November 2018...10 months

So, If we gonna assume that the time of production of Detective Pikachu and Sonic is similar. So...

Sonic movie shoots in July so maybe the first Sonic trailer will hit approximately in May 2019

Im assuming.  Teaser during Superbowl, trailer during May or E3/ComicCon.

• Thumbs Up 2