Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Here’s what the current voice actor of Sonic had to say about the movie.:

“I have zero clue where they’re gonna go with this or how they’ll pull it off,” he says. “I’m just as excited as any other Sonic fan to see what they’re going to do.”

He had one idea for an scene.:

“I think it’d be kind of cool on the big screen in 3D — I’m not saying this a 3D movie I have no idea if it is or isn’t — an imagining of the Greenville Zone from one of the original games but in a first-person perspective,” Smith says about the upcoming film. “Getting a true sense of speed and the real world that was comparable to what we saw in these previous games, that would be a fun thing to explore.”

Source: https://www.inverse.com/article/51184-wreck-it-ralph-2-sonic-roger-craig-smith-interview

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been watching a bit of Patrick Casey and Josh Miller's work (guys who are writing the movie), and I'm disappointed to say that a huge portion of it isn't all that great.

Their skills for writing animated stuff was mostly meh. I couldn't even finish the Hot Wheels films they wrote just because of how poorly developed it was, and the first season of Golan The Insatiable wasn't that great either. They seem to struggle a lot with comedy execution, and character development. The characters I saw in both of these didn't really have much personality in any of them, or they were just very stereotypical or bizarre (in sense where they were trying to be funny with it, but it just ended up being really awkward).

HOWEVER, one positive thing I can say about Golan The Insatiable is that during the second season they completely rebooted the series, and hired new writers to make the first episode...and it was pretty good. After that, Patrick Casey and Josh Miller started writing the show again, and it actually wasn't bad. Could it be that they learned from these good writers? Did they get help while writing the show? I'm not sure. They haven't made anything since then. The Sonic movie is their next work.

I watched a bit of shorts they made for live action material and...unfortunately again, the characters are either really stereotypical, or just have no identity at all. It kind of felt like it was a live action show trying to be a cartoon. Here's a video of something they made.

I didn't watch Tranylmania or National Lampost Day (or whatever they're called), but from what I hear, those are bad (those are two critically panned films they made that  also got ZERO PERCENTAGES on Rotten Tomatoes). There's also other stuff they've made that hardly have any reception at all. Not even by critics. I hear that 12 Deadly Days is good.

I honestly don't know what to expect from this film. It sounds to me like it's being rushed to be honest, and I'm unsure as to how they're trying to do this and what they're aiming for.

If the human characters are uninteresting, I hope that these guys took constructive notes on from Golan The Insatiable season 2 and AT THE VERY LEAST make Sonic an enjoyable character.

Who knows.

Maybe if Sonic's character is praised, we might get a fully animated movie........or SEGA will just give up on it just like what they do with anything they experiment on besides Sonic Unleas---

But overall, I'm keeping my expectations very low.

3 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

A wise decision.
That way, you're either right or pleasently surprised. Win-win either way.

20 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I've been watching a bit of Patrick Casey and Josh Miller's work (guys who are writing the movie), and I'm disappointed to say that a huge portion of it isn't all that great.

Their skills for writing animated stuff was mostly meh. I couldn't even finish the Hot Wheels films they wrote just because of how poorly developed it was, and the first season of Golan The Insatiable wasn't that great either. They seem to struggle a lot with comedy execution, and character development. The characters I saw in both of these didn't really have much personality in any of them, or they were just very stereotypical or bizarre (in sense where they were trying to be funny with it, but it just ended up being really awkward).

HOWEVER, one positive thing I can say about Golan The Insatiable is that during the second season they completely rebooted the series, and hired new writers to make the first episode...and it was pretty good. After that, Patrick Casey and Josh Miller started writing the show again, and it actually wasn't bad. Could it be that they learned from these good writers? Did they get help while writing the show? I'm not sure. They haven't made anything since then. The Sonic movie is their next work.

I watched a bit of shorts they made for live action material and...unfortunately again, the characters are either really stereotypical, or just have no identity at all. It kind of felt like it was a live action show trying to be a cartoon. Here's a video of something they made.

I didn't watch Tranylmania or National Lampost Day (or whatever they're called), but from what I hear, those are bad (those are two critically panned films they made that  also got ZERO PERCENTAGES on Rotten Tomatoes). There's also other stuff they've made that hardly have any reception at all. Not even by critics. I hear that 12 Deadly Days is good.

I honestly don't know what to expect from this film. It sounds to me like it's being rushed to be honest, and I'm unsure as to how they're trying to do this and what they're aiming for.

If the human characters are uninteresting, I hope that these guys took constructive notes on from Golan The Insatiable season 2 and AT THE VERY LEAST make Sonic an enjoyable character.

Who knows.

Maybe if Sonic's character is praised, we might get a fully animated movie........or SEGA will just give up on it just like what they do with anything they experiment on besides Sonic Unleas---

If I remember correctly, Patrick Casey and Josh Miller are a screenwriter. A screenwriter is a guy who takes the story and turns it into a screenplay, which is the detail of how exactly the characters is doing in the scene. The writer is, in fact, Van Robichaux And Evan Susser, which Van is one of the Sonic fans. They were writing the first draft of the story, but who takes their story to make a final storyline, I don't know?

And the screenplay Patrick and Josh were working isn't the final one, the person who does a final draft of a screenplay is Oren Uziel, the guy who writes a screenplay for 22th Jump Street and one of the Mortal Kombat TV series.

I hope for nothing other than it's at least entertaining. :-)

For those who are saying Knuckles should be in it: I think that's too much.

Since the movie is live action. They’re most likely going to retell the sonic story; a reboot of sorts, and when you reboot something you have to show the characters and their motives again.

Think about this, if you put in Knuckles you have to explain the master emerald, and you wouldn’t explain the master emerald unless it’s a main part of the story, and if it is the main part of the story, wouldn’t it feel like to much to introduce the master emerald in the first movie?

They also might cut corners to cram him in "for the fans," but i don't think it would give the character justice.

Knuckles would make more sense in sequel in my opinion.

OK, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I know this isn’t much of an leak, but there was this guy saying that the movie will be bad.

So, should we trust this guy? He was the guy who leaked the Mario Rabbids crossover game a year ago. So, I don’t know. I kinda don’t believe him. This kinda sound like his own opinion on the movie.

Well yes, his opinions are, in fact, his opinions. But I don't think anything he's saying sounds unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's hating the movie because it's not like the games. Like most of the people hating it. I'm also blocked by him 

That's a pretty petty reason to block somebody don't you think? 

It is a petty reason for sure.

I do understand the feeling of being told to give something a chance when it is seemingly totally disregarding what it is based on as reason to get irritated though. Doesn't make the block less petty, but I can understand the reasoning.

As for hating on the movie for not being like the games, my stance is more that I just don't feel like live action is an appropriate setting for the character and from what I've heard of the movie I don't feel the story is really about Sonic either. You can tell a person all you want that Movie Sonic is not Game Sonic, but the problem is that Game Sonic is what people are going to a Sonic Movie to see. Sonic wasn't made in Hollywood so the disconnect having such a strong affect on people is reasonable. If I say "I want to watch my favorite videogame character on the big screen" and you say "okay, here's a totally different interpretation that is nothing like him from looks to character but you should still be happy because he's a hedgehog and blue" I'm likely to have an issue with that. It's why I've asked before why go the buddy cop route when you could have gone the Indiana Jones route with Sonic being Indy, Tom being a mercenary, and Eggman being Eggman? It's still Hollywood, mercenaries exist in Sonic's world along with paramilitary groups, Eggman is still human, and by using Indiana Jones as your basis you still get all of your crazy mythical artifacts without being less Hollywood. Buddy cop where Sonic learns to be a good guy vs. Most Famous Hedgehog in the World, globetrotting adventurer who occasionally lets legends and mythical artifacts decide the course of his next adventure is a fairly extreme difference in scope and character. Worse yet, the latter does not have to clash with Hollywood's style since Indiana Jones and other similar movies already set a precedent for such. So at least for me there is way more to it than them not just having Marza do a feature length film. Even as much as I feel that live action is a bad fit for Sonic I still can see ways to make it work without disconnecting from who Sonic is. From what I've been presented so far though I'm not seeing that being even strived for. Fast and the Furious. Deadpool. Guardians of the Galaxy. I keep being told to think these things and never once think Sonic the Hedgehog. Maybe it's just me, but I would like to think if you are trying to sell me a Sonic the Hedgehog movie that you would tell me to think Sonic the Hedgehog, not completely different properties aimed at completely different audiences

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

I swear to God, if Tails isn't in it... (Looks up directions to Universal Studios) I'll MAKE them put him in it

Wait were people thinking this movie is going to be like the games?

I'm surprised. I mean, in general if the movie was anything like the games I'd be utterly floored. At least in the sense of it being a live action movie. Maybe an animated film would have been.

Also, I think that of Sonic's friends, Tails and Amy have the best chances.  Shadow should probably still be in ARK, Knuckles would need a reason to leave Angel Island, Blaze and Silver should be in their own dimension/the future, Big only would be put in for a meme, and Cream wouldn't probably be a high priority.  Rouge would ironically be the next best chance since she gets caught up in a lot of stuff due to her thieving passion.

2 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Wait were people thinking this movie is going to be like the games?

I'm surprised. I mean, in general if the movie was anything like the games I'd be utterly floored. At least in the sense of it being a live action movie. Maybe an animated film would have been.

It's more that people believed from the start that it wouldn't be like the games and used every scrap of evidence that supported that to immaturely tear the movie apart. I'll admit to not being much better myself, but that's why I typically try to voice that I believe an Indiana Jones route would have been better than a buddy cop route as it would feel more truthful to the games without having to conform to them. Outside of Waku Waku Patrol Car I can't think of anything in the franchise that calls buddy cop to mind and that is really where I have a lot of my problems is the story type and character use from what I've heard.

1 minute ago, Sonic Fan J said:

It's more that people believed from the start that it wouldn't be like the games and used every scrap of evidence that supported that to immaturely tear the movie apart. I'll admit to not being much better myself, but that's why I typically try to voice that I believe an Indiana Jones route would have been better than a buddy cop route as it would feel more truthful to the games without having to conform to them. Outside of Waku Waku Patrol Car I can't think of anything in the franchise that calls buddy cop to mind and that is really where I have a lot of my problems is the story type and character use from what I've heard.

Hmm.

Personally, I have no expectations whatsoever for this movie, other than it not being anything like the games except for that Sonic and Eggman star in it.

I'm going in hoping to be pleasantly surprised. If it isn't good, it won't affect anything for me. I'm not rooting against it, it sort of just exists at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Fast and the Furious. Deadpool. Guardians of the Galaxy. I keep being told to think these things and never once think Sonic the Hedgehog. Maybe it's just me, but I would like to think if you are trying to sell me a Sonic the Hedgehog movie that you would tell me to think Sonic the Hedgehog, not completely different properties aimed at completely different audiences

And the award for the most logical comment of the day goes to @Sonic Fan J!!!

Seriously, though, maybe people who are, you know, fans should help out with it's direction.  Remember the last time someone barely with any knowledge of the franchise worked on official stuff?  Didn't end pretty.

9 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

that calls buddy cop to mind and that is really where I have a lot of my problems is the story type and character use from what I've heard.

Would Forces count? (Not helping it's case tbh)

Based on what I've read (Describing Sonic as a "juvenile delinquent"), I see Tails being in there but not getting along well with him at first (Picture the opening 21 Jump Street but with an anthropomorphic fox and hedgehog who should already be friend but aren't because Hollywood).  It's a common trope, and to me it's better than nothing I guess (Though I wish for so much more)

14 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I swear to God, if Tails isn't in it... (Looks up directions to Universal Studios) I'll MAKE them put him in it

That would be Paramount you would be talking about.

Just now, CaptainRobo said:

That would be Paramount you would be talking about.

Didn't Universal used to be running it.

Also, I'm worried:

Get mentally prepared for uncanny valley

12 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Hmm.

Personally, I have no expectations whatsoever for this movie, other than it not being anything like the games except for that Sonic and Eggman star in it.

I'm going in hoping to be pleasantly surprised. If it isn't good, it won't affect anything for me. I'm not rooting against it, it sort of just exists at the moment.

Absolutely awesome that you can manage that since that mind set will make it easier for you not to criticize the movie outside of it's own mistakes. 

That said, I still feel concerned about the movie based on my above post when being told what to think when approaching this movie. While I can see using Fast and Furious, Deadpool, and Guardians of the Galaxy to try and describe the energy and style of a Sonic movie (none of those though still call to mind buddy cop movie to me outside of maybe the first F&F) to non fans, as a fan being told to think those things instead of Sonic the Hedgehog is very disconcerting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.inverse.com/article/51184-wreck-it-ralph-2-sonic-roger-craig-smith-interview

Don't know how to feel about this.  RCS has been a great Sonic

@Sonic Fan J I'm beyond 90% certain that this will be PG-13, which is not what I would've expected.

Also I sent an email to Liam Robertson asking him if he knew about my son.  We'll see

14 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

@Sonic Fan J I'm beyond 90% certain that this will be PG-13, which is not what I would've expected.

That's there goal to my knowledge, which I personally have nothing against since from what I'm hearing it is mainly due to "Intense Action Sequences" being the reason for it and with Sonic being an action adventure franchise it makes sense.

Suddenly though, with all of these movie comparisons in mind and the whole buddy cop routine being emphasized again I'm suddenly thinking about Bad Boys with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. Where oh where is my mind wandering?

1 minute ago, Sonic Fan J said:

That's there goal to my knowledge, which I personally have nothing against since from what I'm hearing it is mainly due to "Intense Action Sequences" being the reason for it and with Sonic being an action adventure franchise it makes sense.

Suddenly though, with all of these movie comparisons in mind and the whole buddy cop routine being emphasized again I'm suddenly thinking about Bad Boys with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. Where oh where is my mind wandering?

Oh dear @Sonic Fan J it gets "better:"  Here's the summary Google gives: "Juvenile delinquent Sonic the Hedgehog and local policeman Tom Wachowski must stop Dr. Eggman from completing his plans for world domination." 

Beyond breaking the speed limit, I don't really see Sonic as a law breaker.  Sonic is too good natured.  I honestly think that Tails has a good chance, but he'll be initially forced into a partnership with Sonic that becomes a friendship and familial bond (Think Guardians of the Galaxy and the Jump Street movies).  I just see with that description that Sonic picks on him (Or worse) and then has to rely on him for something, thus causing him to make him his partner (And later sidekick).