Awoo.

No Man's Sky "To Boldly Go Where No Indie has gone before! Planet Refunds!"

Badnik Mechanic

This was just announced at the VGX and... holy crap it looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s

When I find a trailer I'll post it, because if I try to describe it you'll think the usual. It looks incredible.

Think, Battlefield set in Destiny. You see a spaceship, you can take it, you see a planet, you can fly to that planet, land and explore it. Day night cycles, you can explore underwater and explore worlds.

Transition from water to ground, from planet to space, utterly seamless.

It looks absolutely incredible... and the most amazing part? The dev team is only 4 people.

Will update this with a trailer when I get it.

Pretty incredible how such a small team could produce something of such a seemingly large scale.

Though I'm going to be honest, the trailer didn't really do much to engage me.  I'm most certainly not writing off the game just yet, as on paper it sounds amazing.  Merely saying I can't sculpt any kind of opinion or decent impression from a rather boring 2 minute teaser. 

That said though, I'll still keep an eye on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty incredible how such a small team could produce something of such a seemingly large scale.

All they needed to do was create a procedurally-generated universe. Clearly a daunting challenge, but one they have evidently risen to, which is a remarkable thing in this age of vast development teams and Hollywood-esque budgets.

These people are going places, and it won't be long until their team is bought up by some bigger fish.

Yeah, the whole thing is procedurally generated, which means it's like Minecraft somewhat in it's world creation.

this, combined with the big promises the dude was making worried me, all I could hear and see was Peter Molyneux talking about Fable, basically I don't have a lot of faith they can deliver on their premise.

IF they do it'll be fucking awesome but I'm not quite ready to dive into the hype yet

• Thumbs Up 2

ku-xlarge.gif

This is just Frontier for the 2010s, but that's no bad thing. It really does look great.

I love how the rocks didn't smash the crap out of the cockpit glass.

So, will the game be on PS4 and Xbox One or PC only?

No platforms confirmed yet but judging how much Shahid is pimping the game on Twitter it's definitely coming to PS4 as well.

Some articles came out:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-09-a-future-that-has-a-history-introducing-no-mans-sky

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/09/no-mans-sky-is-a-sci-fi-exploration-roguelike-in-a-consistent-u

As you make your way towards the centre of the galaxy, the planet’s you pass are stepping stones along the way. You’ll land your ship on them and go hunting for resources. Those resources then, in some unexplained way, aid you in upgrading your ship and yourself. These upgrades allow you to travel larger distances, or maybe make you faster, or probably improve your guns. It’s still ambiguous.

Exploration and resource gathering are the ways, really the only ways, in which the game is similar to Minecraft. The planets you land on aren’t cube-shaped and it’s unlikely you’ll build a house on them. They are the equivalent of Minecraft’s network of underground caves: exciting to find, unique to you, and full of materials which give them significance and value despite not being handcrafted.

So how will you orientate yourself in such a massive, bewildering place? In truth, it might come fairly naturally - for starters, you won't be alone. Everyone who plays No Man's Sky will begin the adventure on their own planet at the edge of a shared galaxy. For most people, the obvious hook will be to carve a path to the centre of the galaxy where there will be something waiting for them.

Along the way, you'll discover that this universe has rules, and you'll have to work together with other players - other frontiersmen - to find out how the place fits together and how it all works. You'll be building from scratch, too. When you initially load up the galaxy map, all the systems and planets are there, but nothing's labeled. Filling in the blanks is up to you - up to everyone.

It sounds great. Like Minecraft + space phase Spore + some Demon's Souls networking concepts.

Props to them if they can nail the execution. I'm interested.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh man if they deliver on this promise this has the potential to be my favorite game ever. 

I love how the rocks didn't smash the crap out of the cockpit glass.

Videogame logic, and presumably a pre-alpha build. Gotta love 'em.

At least it was a reasonably honest look at the game.

• 1 month later...

Here's a preview I've scanned up from the new issue of OXM UK.

tbzSdOj.jpg

• 4 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APP5WcX8v8

Game of the show for me so far.

....Oh...my....god. That is just incredible. Absolutely incredible. The question is, when will it release?

During Sony's presser this was the one game that really stood out to me and made my jaw drop, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, especially after seeing him leave the planet and go to another.. then the explanation of what you can do in the game.. is this real? Last time I heard smaller companies making a game of this amount of huge promise and scale was.. well.. Molyneux with "you can do anything!". Or Will Wright with Spore. Yeah.

It's hard to get my hopes too high when most games that promise to be that huge end up being.. not. Plus these guys are only indies, how can they possibly be making something this huge when no "AAA" developer is making games this gigantic on scale? It's all extremely sublime and cool looking and I would love so much for this to turn out how it looks it's turning out, but I'm going to remain cautious I think.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IGN First blowout:

18 minutes of gameplay

How the economy works

How the idea came to fruition

A look into classic sci-fi gaming influences

Edited by Pawn

• 7 months later...

This will be releasing on PS4 and PC June 21st for the US and June 24th in the UK.  I've always wanted to have the whole universe as my sandbox!

I haven't actually gotten a PS4 yet.  One of the LE bonuses (the only one I'm particularly interested in) is the dynamic theme.  I don't really want to pay an extra $20 just for that, but does anyone know if it's likely to be exclusive to the LE, or available separately to purchase?  I don't think either of my go-to themes on the PS3 were available separately from the games.

• 3 months later...

The same media empire that successfully got Microsoft to change the name of the cloud storage service from SkyDrive to OneDrive, actually went after Hello Games for using the word "Sky" in this No Man's Sky game name. A legal battle that lasted three years and its only just been settled.

Seriously, what were Sky thinking? How can anyone confuse this video game as a product Sky? Maybe they're chasing or had chased Activision for the use of "Sky" in Skylanders.

• Thumbs Up 1