Awoo.

No Man's Sky "To Boldly Go Where No Indie has gone before! Planet Refunds!"

Badnik Mechanic

I doubt that anybody would be so idiotic as to confuse No Man's Sky with the Sky network, as there's very little in the way of overlap there. The word is so commonly used in game titles, in fact in all kinds of products, that it would likely be very hard to make a successful bid to change the name.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sky were probably aware how ridiculous it was. Probably challenged it to prevent other companies that could cause confusion from having an easy time using Sky's stuff.

You would think that challenging a giant like Microsoft and winning would be warning enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

I'm having a great time with this game.  I've been fortunate to have it only crash twice, on the second day I've played, and otherwise it's run quite well.  I tend to leave my ship somewhere and run all over a planet on foot, calling my ship back when I find a call point and going on.  Generally it seems people who favor this playstyle are getting more enjoyment than people who want to dash to the center, who tend to complain that everything just copies each other and there's nothing to do.  But one could just as well say that in Skyrim, if you've seen one dwarven dungeon, you've seen them all, and if you've seen a dwarven dungeon, a cave, and an abandoned tower you've seen most of the game.  I ran all over Skyrim on foot as well, and with my original character found every single site except a few of the ones that vanish after the Civil War is done.  I'm finding some really freaky creatures, finally found a planet with water, and am currently exploring a high, high radiation planet with tons of life, some very high-value resources, and a host of guardian Sentinels who shoot on sight, rather than their usual behavior of only going after you if you provoke them or keep destroying things after they show up.   I can't stop to scan a new animal or recharge mu suit protections without getting shot at!  This game will definitely last me a while, but it's certainly not for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

i am not able to experience this one myself though i have been trying to follow the story / updates about it! I should remember there may be some playthroughs on youtube by now; but, yes, something about this really reminds me of Sonic 1, in a really general sense; it is an amazing new step .  There will clearly be after some amount of years, a "sequel" , there are so many new dynamics/ideas that can be implemented in the game engine, and, over time the original entry in the series will be considered to be perfect in its own ways!  What you're describing feels like you have already found that. :)  With every game there is a way to meet it halfway and dependably find very fun, challenging, mind opening and positive experiences! 

I have around 50 hours on this game and I am liking it. I have learned about it just recently, so I avoided the hype train. I came to the game without any expectations, so I guess that this was why I was able to enjoy it. I am also glad that I have spoiled me about what happens when you get to the center of the galaxy, so I will not be disappointed and I know that I don't have to rush there, I can just enjoy the exploration part.

I found out that I had the most fun with some self-imposed challenges. I once got a new ship in an extreme planet, the sentinels just attack you on sight there plus the planet was very toxic; I needed to get supplies to fix and refuel the ship under those circumstances, and it was quite daunting and rewarding. Sometimes I decide to actually walk a large distance to some building, instead of just quickly doing by ship; dealing with the terrain, battling the sentinels, and looking for rare resources along the way also make it more rewarding.

I saw someone people on Reddit commenting that the game got much better and challenging for them after ditching the scanner, and having to find resources by exploration. I haven't tried this myself yet, however.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given the...less than questionable state the game is in currently, with the missing features that people keep talking about, shit fanbase, and more. I vote for this thread's title to be changed to "To boldly go....and keep going".

• Thumbs Up 1

Shit fanbase, definitely if people will go as far as to send death threats over a two month delay. Apparently, same thing's happening with Final Fantasy XV now.

Seriously, what is up with these fanbases? It's not even like Mighty No. 9's delays over things nobody wanted.

And attacking people for daring to say anything negative about the game, even if it's well thought out critisism. Yeesh, is the fanbase immature. They do realize that their actions only make the game itself harder to take seriously, right?

Yeah, I'll wait until the dust has settled before I think of going any further. Game looked interesting when I first saw it, but given the controversies, yeah, not doing it now.

It was a fun little game but until the big game changing patch comes whenever, I'm kinda done with it at the moment. I completed the Atlas line, and honestly once you get a fully upgraded exosuit, start running into the problem where 99.9% of the blueprints you run across are ones you've found already, and most of your upgrades make you godly, there's really no drive to be better at this point. Really the only thing I need is a bigger ship (currently at 26 only), but I love the design so much that I haven't been able to find something I like that's better (and winding up being of more storage). My gun is only 20 slots yet I have all the upgrades I really need for both farming and combat, full suit where all I'm missing is the 3rd jetpack (which I almost have the pieces for anyway), and then all the ship upgrades I have are more than enough with all the warp tiers. I guess that just leaves getting the Atlas passes v2 and 3, but the RNG on them are so crazy and I'm tired of seeing "oh you already have blueprint for Scanner" that I gave up.

Looking for new planets is always fun and I still like getting filthy rich, but that's about the extent of the fun for me at the moment. Even the getting rich thing is soured somewhat with the 5 start wanted level glitch. I kill the big ass t-rex starwars walker space cop and then no more sentinels come after me until I go to space or restart the game? Leaving me to grab all the gravitino balls or whatever fuck until I'm bored? IDK, it's nice though, just a shame it's way too easy to kill everything will little repercussions.

Like if I had to rate the game in its current state I'd give it a solid 7/10. It's not bad but there's a lot to be desired that's for sure. Here's to hoping the future is bright with updates to enhance the game. And to add, I don't really nick the game too hard on this and more over see it like how Minecraft was in its infancy. Look how that game has grown in the past whatever years haha. 

So, I fly to my second star system, and look what I come across...

Crazy bouncing bastards, all. Luckily they weren't predatory. This world, which I've since named Phendris, was horrible to stay for any length of time on. Its extremely cold nights made long-range foot travel treacherous, made all the harder by predatory cave-dwelling insects. The terrain was also very difficult - steep cliffs and mountains, freezing lakes with unnervingly large predatory bug-fish, weird floating islands everywhere.

Luckily, my next world, which I gave the arbitrarily long name Mesopotalloron, has proven a comparative paradise - reasonable temperatures, rolling hills and mountains, deep and peaceful lakes, and a gorgeous, varied color palette. The animals are few and far between though, which is the most frustrating thing about being here. This creature in particular was a total bastard to find:

I later named these giants S'ditchodon, because of what I perceive as a resemblance to Disney's Stitch.