Awoo.

Cex store opens heart to man who got scammed on eBay

Big Panda

CEX shouldn't be rewarding a stupid chav for being stupid, or falling for such a blatant scam, especially after he was already undeservingly reimbursed. Can they not see that he just wants the console for himself? No 19 year old chav buys a console like that for their 4 year old. It's for him.

I hope one of his chav mates steals it.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not even that. He DID read what he was buying. Apparently he 'saw that it said it was a photo but was categorised under 'consoles' so he thought he'd take a chance on it'.

Well, that just makes him even thicker. It saddens me that people this stupid have kids.

Ignorance or not, it shows that there is still generosity and kindness out there in the world. Well done to the company, small price to pay for lots of good publicity

• Thumbs Up 1

Ignorance or not, it shows that there is still generosity and kindness out there in the world.

Undeserving kindness, this just really says "we got your back for being a thick idiot, don't worry!"

Praising the undeserved is honestly the worst thing.

Yeah...

This is a load of fresh plopped apeshit. This guy is 19, he has a "4 year old son" , he clearly bought a fucking photo and stated he did, and then sucked the media's tit to get a free XBONE. Wow. It's amazing how stupidity can bring fortune these days. You know what? If this shitter can do it, so can we. I'm going to print a picture of a puppy and say I got scammed by Petco. That'll get me a free puppy for Christmas right? Oh I can't? Well according to the media, it's a no fucks barred.

• Thumbs Up 1

All opinions aside this is clearly free advertisement for CEX.

Quite honestly it cracks me up to see such strong responses over the actions of both parties.

• Thumbs Up 2

He got a full refund from eBay. He should have gone out and bought an Xbox One with that. That's how restitution works; you get your money back and the con artist suffers a penalty.

He doesn't deserve a free XBO at all, his own idiocy aside. As has been said, a much better publicity move would have been to give it to an orphanage or children's hospital or something.

Ignorance or not, it shows that there is still generosity and kindness out there in the world. Well done to the company, small price to pay for lots of good publicity

This would be kindness if it wasn't to the massive benefit of Cex. They've not done it out of the kindness of their hearts, they've done it to make the papers, increase awareness of their store (around christmas) and give of the impression that they're a cool company (which...they are, but that's beside the point).

*sigh* Why can't we be happy that he got his money back instead of being angry and wishing he should keep the photo and nothing else. Or someone steals his console, really? And even if you are angry, I can't believe it's all on the dad instead of the seller!

The seller did categorize the 'photo' in the wrong place and you are not suppose to do that at all. It's not allowed to incorrectly put your item in the wrong category and this seller did. The item's picture is also misleading. The price of the photo is ridiculous too which can mislead people in to thinking it's the real XONE.

eBay should have even spotted this item before someone bought it but they didn't.

The seller of the photo by the way has to refund eBay as eBay refunded the 19 year old dad. eBay may also ban the seller's account. This is a good move because I don't want scammers like that seller on eBay.

Now this doesn't mean I am defending this 19 year old dad, but I'm certainly not going to explode because he got an XONE for free. Good for him, he took the risk and what a surprise the news hit worldwide including Facebook, that eBay have to quickly investigate.

I'm for one happy that he got his moneyback because of the seller tried to scam people in the first place. Free XONE alongside? I don't know. But CEX wanted to give him it for free so what the hey. The seller did a very good favor to the 19 year old dad. If the seller wasn't trying to scam anyone in the first place, none of this would ever happen.

He has a 4 year old son. That son will grow up with years to come. That son will play the XONE more and more, and it would be like a Father and Son get together on the console.

• Thumbs Up 3

He got his money back. If you ask me that's all that really needed to be done, that and penalties on the seller. He wanted an Xbox One, he should go buy one now that he has his money back.

Cex is, as was said, ultimately doing this for publicity. From a business perspective, I won't fault it; it's going to increase their sales to a point the Xbox One being given away won't make a dent on the balance sheet.

Assuming he doesn't have a partner. What single parent puts all their savings towards a new video game console for a four year old kid? Surely you would get them a bike or something?

I smell bullshit. Nice of CeX shame it was wasted on this stupid chav cretin. 

• 2 years later...

Hello there! This topic is outdated, but since you brought it up for us ...

I just skimmed through the topic. I must have missed this news back then.

It is apparent that many here view it as a suspicious case, which is fine, after all it is a discussion topic. I would have hoped for it to be a little less negative, though. Suspicion aside, we also ought to appreciate the good news. Somebody was scammed (I think we can all agree on this part), the money was refunded, and in the end, a console was gifted.

Did he deserve it? Debatable. Was it a PR stunt? Obviously. But all in all, it is a situation where everyone should ends up happy. The store was originally not part of any of this, and still they decided to gift a console. Even the scammed one who was returned the money was very shocked by this, and would you honestly say no thanks once such an offer is made?

So, welcome aboard, Anticulture. Your recent post has not been deleted, rather hidden for evaluation, as I do not think anything good will come out from targetting an entire fandom like that. I am sorry if you feel offended by this outdated topic. I will say that such a response can stir up drama and flaming, so while I understand that feelings can make strong posts and calling out others, in the future we prefer if you report offending posts (or in the case of the entire topic, report the first post of the first page).

Since this topic is outdated, and since I feel there is nothing more to be said, I will lock this down.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The topic was locked