Awoo.

E123-Omega

SuperBrandon

What do you guys think of him ? Should he be involved more in Sonic Games ?  I Don't think he is a bad character. He has potential that has not been used correctly by Sega.

This both needs more depth, and should go into the other characters thread, generaly character general discussion threads are discouraged

...I love you, sir.

E-123 Omega, to me, is easily one of the most underused characters in the series and really needs more recognition.

And to show just how underused...

nNFrtIt.jpg

Big. A retired character. BUT NO OMEGA.

Omega first appeared in Sonic Heroes and is commonly known as a renegade member of Eggman's E-100 series of robots. We have seen him in Heroes, Shadow, 06, Chronicles and Colors DS.

...That's it. Not even Generations.

I love Omega's character and believe that there is so much potential that could be put to him, yet SEGA just... doesn't do it. And to see even Big get more recognition seriously disappoints me. Hopefully he makes a return in a modern game, even as a secondary character. It's just incredibly disappointing to see him in the tertiary sector like this.

• Thumbs Up 6

The main disappointment that comes with Omega is not being able to utilize his many armaments in his possession, he's honestly more equipped than Arnie riding in a Tank, yet we barely get a glimpse at his true power outside of the level up system in Heroes.

We're talking about a robot that can single handedly take on an army of Eggman's robots, it makes one wonder why Eggman even built such a dangerous robot for the sole reason of protecting Shadow's casket, and why he has never even applied Omega's level of ingenuity to any of his current creations, essentially everything Eggman makes now, with a few exceptions is just cannon fodder to Sonic.

We get a small glimpse of Omega's arsenal in 06 when he's fighting Mephiles in Wave Ocean, he has fucking gatling cannon barrels in his wrists, as well as high calibur  machine gun's in his fingertips, rocket launches in his arms, flame throwers in his arms etc. It's sad to say that Archie do a better job of showing off Omega's power in their comic than SEGA do in their games. A shame really.

Honestly, Omega never left much of an influence on me one way or the other.  He just seemed bland to me.  A blandly-designed robot with a one track mind.

But I do think his concept is something that the games could benefit from.  There's plenty of potential to be explored in a robot seeking revenge on his master.  It gives some tension between Eggman and another character as well as fleshes out his relationship with his creations.  If he were given a foil of sorts, I imagine Omega could add a very interesting dynamic, I imagine he could perform a number of benefits to both his own character as well as Eggman's character.

For one, having a rogue robot says a lot about Eggman's personality.  For one, it shows that, for some reason, he's decided to give his minions the ability to think for themselves.  Second, it shows that the doctor's ambitions outweigh his ability to handle some of his creations, which is an interesting thought.  In addition, when compared to a character foil, or a series of character foils, Omega's being tossed by the wayside gives us an insight on Eggman's thought process.  We can use this dynamic to assess what creations Eggman feels to be a success and what he feels to be a horrible, horrible failure.

So yeah, overall, Omega himself has never appealed to me.  But I think conceptually he has a good layer of potential.

Honestly, Omega never left much of an influence on me one way or the other.  He just seemed bland to me.  A blandly-designed robot with a one track mind.

But I do think his concept is something that the games could benefit from.  There's plenty of potential to be explored in a robot seeking revenge on his master.  It gives some tension between Eggman and another character as well as fleshes out his relationship with his creations.  If he were given a foil of sorts, I imagine Omega could add a very interesting dynamic, I imagine he could perform a number of benefits to both his own character as well as Eggman's character.

For one, having a rogue robot says a lot about Eggman's personality.  For one, it shows that, for some reason, he's decided to give his minions the ability to think for themselves.  Second, it shows that the doctor's ambitions outweigh his ability to handle some of his creations, which is an interesting thought.  In addition, when compared to a character foil, or a series of character foils, Omega's being tossed by the wayside gives us an insight on Eggman's thought process.  We can use this dynamic to assess what creations Eggman feels to be a success and what he feels to be a horrible, horrible failure.

So yeah, overall, Omega himself has never appealed to me.  But I think conceptually he has a good layer of potential.

Honeslt,y I second this, and the whole thought of him coming back, but being forced to work not only with sonic, but another one of eggmans rebellious robots, but one who simply wants to stop eggman, not completely destroy him, perhaps an upgraded version of Heavy from KC, hes a nearly indestructable lab/maintence bot, he doesnt have the weapondry of Omega, but he has his own form of strength,a nd could overpower omega in other ways if he wanted too, but thats just my thoughts on the matter

I kind of wonder about Omega's motive. I mean, in Heroes, Rouge says "You're mad at Eggman for putting you in this room," but simply being put on boring guard duty doesn't really seem like a legitimate reason to go maverick and try to destroy his creator.

I doubt we'll ever see it, but a proper conversation between those two (with dialog other than both of them threatening to destroy each other) could be really interesting if done right. 

I also find it intriguing that Eggman went through the trouble of erasing Metal Sonic's memories of his betrayal in an attempt to reintegrate him into his service, but he seems to have no interest in getting Omega back. In the few times we've seen them interact, Eggman expresses a clear desire to see Omega completely scrapped. This could be because even though both robot betrayed him, Omega is more violent and difficult to control, and he seems dead set on taking Eggman's life - whereas Metal Sonic merely locked Eggman up without harming him, perhaps showing some modicum of compassion for his master even while betraying him. It's definitely an interesting contrast, I think.

I kind of wonder about Omega's motive. I mean, in Heroes, Rouge says "You're mad at Eggman for putting you in this room," but simply being put on boring guard duty doesn't really seem like a legitimate reason to go maverick and try to destroy his creator.

I doubt we'll ever see it, but a proper conversation between those two (with dialog other than both of them threatening to destroy each other) could be really interesting if done right.

I kind of thought Omega was in that room because he was tossed aside and left to rust.  At least, that was my interpretation.  I don't think he was simply given guard duty or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The implication I got is that Eggman threw Omega away like trash while he moved onto bigger and better bots; I'd be kind of peeved too if I was discarded like that.

Omega has always been kinda there for me, its pretty obvious he was created just to have a Power member of Team Dark, so naturally he doesn't stand out as much as Shadow or Rouge do. Which is sad, because having a character who's first instinct is to blow shit up and has a computer program is hilarious.

And to show just how underused...

[image snip]

Big. A retired character. BUT NO OMEGA.

Omega first appeared in Sonic Heroes and is commonly known as a renegade member of Eggman's E-100 series of robots. We have seen him in Heroes, Shadow, 06, Chronicles and Colors DS.

...That's it. Not even Generations.

You think that's bad? Pix'n'Love forgot to profile him completely in the History of Sonic book! They had a picture of him in a character line-up (which opens up the profile chapter) but no mention is made of him for most of the book (but that book has a few problems with odd omissions). I find it odd that he's basically a modern day forgotten character already (and that's considering they re-cast him with everyone else). I'm guessing he isn't in the Olympic games or anything after Colors DS?

I think Omega is a potentially interesting character, but I don't have much to say about him because, like every other character in the cast, SEGA refuses to use him because they're too freakin' lazy to create a scenario in which he would work. Archie at least came up with an interesting version of Omega, with having Gamma integrate his programming into Omega, thus freeing his "brother" of Eggman's control and giving him something resembling a soul. I also find his infatuation with Blaze to be hilarious. Sure, they're mostly just taking one trait and wringing out as much characterization as that can offer, but at least Archie is doing something. I actually like the moment from "Scrambled" (SU#37-40) when he returns to GUN to find Hope (a relative of Eggman's and Snively's, who works for GUN so she can restore the honor of her family name) crying, after she forced Snively to leave, and Omega attempts to comfort her, but it's beyond his programming. It's surprisingly sweet considering his destructive behavior and his primary function is played for laughs.

There's also that moment in Shadow's story in '06, where he, as far as robots go (but it seems Eggman likes giving his robots emotions and personalities for some reason), is upset to discover that he will be the one that imprisons his best friend when the world turns against him (Shadow). It's interesting that he's grown an attachment to Shadow and Rouge, despite the fact that he just as easily could go off on his own and wreak havoc on his own.

I think it's less about being locked away and more because Eggman decided to squander Omega's potential and replace him with more obedient/soulless robots that aren't on Omega's level of power. At least, that's how the Archie comics fleshed it out, but even his in-game dialogue suggests that he's sure of his own potential and superiority and hates the fact that Eggman is wasting time with "worthless consumer models" for robots (and it would seem they are inferior in every way).

It's also probably down to Omega feeling like his efforts are wasted when he should be out on the battlefield, I can feel a hint of jealousy in Omega's sourness towards the other robots that Eggman would rather have in his place, Omega simply doesn't get why far weaker, less aware robots are being used instead of him taking lead, and being locked up in a room in standby mode honestly feels like a kick to his face, he feels like he's second best, or that his creator doubts his abilities to be used in the battlefield.

Honestly I think Omega just has his wires crossed about Eggman's motives, and is completely in pure denial and is so angry that he refuses to even reason with why he was locked up/discarded for lesser bots and simply just wants to destroy them all out of spite and anger as a sort of "I told you so, I am the best and this is how I'm going to prove it".

The argument could also be made that Eggman is merely a selfish creator that has no sympathy or attachment to his creations, just look how he handled the E-Series in Sonic Adventure, they're nothing but pawns to him and I question why he even gives his creations sentient awareness because he doesn't care for them, yet his creations admire/care for him to be devoted to following him through the thick of almost certain demise for them.

It honestly is cruel and a bit twisted when you think about it, I honestly think Eggman just doesn't care for Omega in the slightest because like I said, he's just another "creation among thousands" sort of making Eggman's machines, that sort of lost child who isn't loved by their father.

Omega's an interesting character to be sure. I mean, he's a combat-oriented badnik who resents being ignored in favor of the "worthless consumer models". What's not to love about that? Oh, and he also works for Rouge.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do with him in practice. While he can no doubt be developed to become more versatile, his role at present is limited to assisting Rouge and Shadow in their tasks. I personally hope we see more of him in the future.

At the very least, I think Omega's reasons for turning against Eggman are at least unique compared to past robots (in which it's usually a malfunction), and although not used anymore he's still the only Eggman that not only turned against him but also still exists with his free will intact.

That and unlike other robots, Omega, once he became free of Eggman's control, didn't fall into any stupid cliches like transforming into the monster of the week for (Super) Sonic and co. to destroy, let alone start craving for world domination like a certain other robot did.

At the very least, I think Omega's reasons for turning against Eggman are at least unique compared to past robots (in which it's usually a malfunction), and although not used anymore he's still the only Eggman that not only turned against him but also still exists with his free will intact.

That and unlike another robot Omega didn't fall into any stupid cliches of craving for world domination once he became self-aware.

What about Heavy and Bomb? they rebelled and didnt become Megolimaniacal, though admittedly we havent seen them since that game

Actualy what if Heavy is Omega? now that would be an interesting thought

What about Heavy and Bomb? they rebelled and didnt become Megolimaniacal, though admittedly we havent seen them since that game

Actualy what if Heavy is Omega? now that would be an interesting thought

Funny thing is, I don't think Heavy and Bomb in the games were necessarily rebelling against Eggman. They were just placed in the Combi Catcher with the rest of the group to screw over the heroes. They literally don't do anything but get in your way and slow you down. There's a reason you can only pick them as partners and not as main characters.

The comics are a completely different story, however. But... I suppose the manual does say they rebelled, but the manual also says that it could be a trick. And considering how many copies of Heavy and Bomb there are in the Combi Catcher, I'd lean towards the latter.

Heh, I wouldn't have thought of Omega being a new Heavy, but Eggman does like to recycle his bots...

Honestly, I couldn't care less for Omega, Gamma or even Metal Sonic. Most Robots are just bland in the series for me. Scratch and Grounder are the best robots in my opinion. 

Honestly, I couldn't care less for Omega, Gamma or even Metal Sonic. Most Robots are just bland in the series for me. Scratch and Grounder are the best robots in my opinion.

...Get out!

Nah, but seriously, to my ten year old self, Gamma's story was an emotional one about self sacrifice, retribution, and what it truly means to be alive.

Of course, it's all a bit hammy and dated now, but that ending still brings a tear to my eye.

• Thumbs Up 1

Omega can be a pretty hilarious character, seeing how his whole motivation is wrecking Eggman's shit. He works great for a more humorous-toned game, so I would love seeing the Colors writers take a shot at writing him. It's a shame we never get to see him pop up in the games that often anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would really like it if Omega appeared in more games since there's tons of untapped potential for him story wise. I mean seriously, just think about how hilarious interactions between him, Orbot, and Cubot would be.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would really like it if Omega appeared in more games since there's tons of untapped potential for him story wise. I mean seriously, just think about how hilarious interactions between him, Orbot, and Cubot would be.

I agree. Omega, can be a funny character at times and makes me have a laugh. Would love it if he destroyed Eggman's base.