Awoo.

[FANGAME] Sonic Returns

exojamesm

Well its time I made this topic to keep it separate from my 3ds max topic

Very little details at the moment in time, but I will update this topic as i go

Im working on a fan game known as Sonic Returns. It is going to be built in cryengine3 

I have a background of game design and 3d modelling / animation, and actually have a degree doing it :D

It will be me alone working on the project, though I may ask for some help with music etc, as i have no flair at all for that

Expect a game design pitch to appear here soon! And I will take it from there.

This project will take sometime, as I have plenty of commitments already, but i miss making games. I realise that ambitious projects like this usually fail before they have begun, but we shall see how I go. Got a few friends at Sumo that might be interested in a little side project when i fall behind

What i will post for now, is what I have put in my other topic.

sonicreturnsNew2.jpg

TemporalMine.jpg

HiddenPalace.jpg

Chronos%20Runway.jpg

LavaReef.jpg

SkySanctuary.jpg

ChaosOrigin.jpg

DeathEgg.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

Good luck, dude! This looking good already, judging from your previous work and those title cards.

And, could it be...? The time travel mechanic from CD?

Good luck, dude! This looking good already, judging from your previous work and those title cards.

And, could it be...? The time travel mechanic from CD?

Thanks Cola! Hah not entirely, more of a plot element. Will have a few references to it though

You must seem serious to pull this nightmare off. It would just cause frustration and too much effort...

I love a good challenge, and learn new stuff. So no frustration just time

The best thing I can say besides good luck/kick some ass : get as much done as you can and before getting some help, show some gameplay in the near future. I shall be looking forward to your work =)

Cheers guys! I will be building a prototype in cryengine shortly. As well as creating the odd asset. Still writing my pitch, but playing with assets aswell

Such as, Sonic Returns new bi plane! Model not complete (will update this post with tweaks to it)

[EDIT] Added updated to Model

BiPlane3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm certainly intrigued. Especially with the return of the CD time travel gimmick (or, something similar)...I bet the Past Death Egg will be interesting to see.

I'm certainly intrigued. Especially with the return of the CD time travel gimmick (or, something similar)...I bet the Past Death Egg will be interesting to see.

The time travel parts are intended to be plot devices for this. There will be some time related mechanics though, which I will explain soon

To further your interest the Death Egg Past is intended to be during the time of Sonic 2

- Updated the screens on the BiPlane with todays updates

Ok little more information

Main Story Mode

Playable Characters - Characters will have their own levels within story mode

Sonic (Past Levels) 

Knuckles (Future Levels)

(Share other levels)

Past/Future Signs (From CD) will take the role of links to special stage. Designed to warp the players back to Hidden Palace - wether it is the Chaos Emeralds that are being collected is yet to be determined.

Story - Will describe this soon in spoiler tags

Abilities

After collecting the first time stone (first level) Both characters will have the ability to slow time upon reaching a certain number of rings (characters will still move at normal pace) - rings will then reduce as long as ability is active

Further time abilities possible but not determined

Character abilites - see below in time attack

Time Attack Mode

This mode will open up all levels (excluding some story boss fights) to all characters

Will also include further playable characters - roster to be determined - With some help of you guys!

All characters will have, spin dash,  3 unique abilities, the main time ability (also slows clock), and a drawback. To be balanced but open up different methods of play. 

Sonic

Super spin dash - can smash through certain objects - loose walls etc

Double Jump

Figure 8 charge - Faster launch than normal spindash

Drawback - Sonic will run out of breath underwater in half the normal time

Knuckles

Glide

Wall Climb

Knuckle smash - break through specific hard walls

Drawback - Knuckles cant jump as high as other characters

Tails

Fly

Time device - reduced amount of rings required for time slow down

Swim 

Drawback - Tails's top speed isnt as high as other characters

- Ok now I need others!! - post as many as you want! Looking for possibly another 5?

I have ideas for Shadow and Metal Sonic - but would like to hear some input.

I know this all might sound ambitious or you might love the sound of it, but if im going to do this im going to do it right

• Thumbs Up 1

Cryengine is a very good yet underlooked engine for games. Not to mention looks sooooo damn pretty before you even put your own assets in

Me being mainly a Maya user, I LOVE the fact you can transfer your materials and Shader networks from Maya to Cryengine. Hopefully similar with 3dsmax though.

It also comes with a visual script editor... My dream complete right there.

if you really want then I can have my hand up to assist in asset creation or in-engine/games design work. Won't promise being full-time, especially after beginning February when a course starts up.

Just noticed in your asset image of the plane... is that a sculpt? it looks veeeeery high-poly, possibly too high poly for the job unless you plan to lower that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yes it is def high poly at the moment. My drawing skills are very lacking, so I make my concepts in 3ds max.

A strange way of doing things, but I prefer it. Still no takers on characters?

Oh yes it is def high poly at the moment. My drawing skills are very lacking, so I make my concepts in 3ds max.

A strange way of doing things, but I prefer it. Still no takers on characters?

Thats how I do things, barely a drawer myself anymore

As for characters.... Im better at Hardsurface modeling than organics myself, more for robotics or environment, or even armour

Random Music Asset, could possibly change. Im looking at so much stuff right now

You should all recognise this, but this part with an adjusted tempo, just fits my ideas perfectly

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

As i said, slow updates to this! Sorry

Got lots of bits to work out in cryengine

Heres a little something made in the last 30 mins of free time though :D

ItemCrate1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey Exo. 

The sped up Dusty Desert has a change in pitch. If you want me to help you only change the tempo and leave the pitch as it is, I can do it for you.

Anyways, if ya want any help music-wise, always here! Just a PM away.

Really nice stuff so far as always :D

Hey Exo. 

The sped up Dusty Desert has a change in pitch. If you want me to help you only change the tempo and leave the pitch as it is, I can do it for you.

Anyways, if ya want any help music-wise, always here! Just a PM away.

Really nice stuff so far as always biggrin.png

Hey mate

Dont worry about the change in pitch, im kinda liking the sound of it.

If anyone wants to feel creative and make some music for Chronos Runway and Chaos Origin that would be cool to hear

Chronos Runway is currently meant to be a transition in time, Sonic act 1, Knuckles act 2

Chaos Origin is set when the chaos emeralds are first guarded by the echidnas, jungle / ruins setting

Also im currently playing with concepts / styles for Temporal Mine Zone. All in 3ds max at the moment

Here is a very basic starter piece

Temporal%20Mine%20Zone_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I could do that kinda thing, I'll hit you up in PM.

And well, the pitch change is kinda jarring tho... but your call.

Nice WIP, tho I hope the Lightning Shield's position isn't fixed!

I could do that kinda thing, I'll hit you up in PM.

And well, the pitch change is kinda jarring tho... but your call.

Nice WIP, tho I hope the Lightning Shield's position isn't fixed!

Ah lol, see no musical ear! Feel free to have a play!

Oh no def not fixed, just used as just a reference atm