Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

Breasts are a thing that exist, they aren't inherently offensive.  Zelda games have had characters with exposed breasts in before.  I don't think the design looks ridiculous when we've had things like the Great Fairies of OoT and TP before.

Who said anything about them being inherently offensive? The only thing that's offensive is when they're taken to ridiculous extremes. Although one comment I read was a bit better on that note; one major factor isn't inherently the fact that a lot of breasts are designed ridiculously big or little to no covering, but moreso that this situation is placed on women far more than it is for men. Ridiculously sexualized men rarely happen in gaming compared to how much it is done for women (naturally to appeal to men).

The problem? It seems to make women out to be nothing more than sex objects, and THAT is what's offensive.

EDIT: Wow, it seems so weird seeing Impa wielding a BFS. I really expected something more like a katana. Hey, no one can complain about Impa getting added to Smash as a Sheik clone anymore, either! This game's been in development for a couple of years, they could've already known how Impa would've worked in this game and incorporated that into Smash Bros.

Wtf is that character in the lower right corner? Is that a redesigned Vaati?

EDIT 2: The thing that makes me think Vaati is the little note showcasing a Toon Link/Zelda. Not sure what game that's from, but its not Minish Cap. It does imply it is a character from an existing game, though, since there's literally no other reason to reference the toon games.

EDIT 3: Oh, that's the one people were remarking looked like the Poe Shop Owner from OOT.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a great way to solve it! Don't make the breasts ridiculous looking to begin with. Problem solved! What a novel concept.

Because no woman has ever had large breasts before. Clearly.

Women with big breasts usually are chubbier. So big breasts do exist, but they logically exist for women whose bodies aren't sticks. 

Also, it's better to just not have the camera focus on the breasts, and have them be put in situations that are manipulated for the sake of pleasure. Having ridiculous outfits is one thing, but at least make them not inane for the context. Shia looks like a wizard character, so it's not like she need any heavy armor. At least Impa is being made sensible for what she's doing.

Who said anything about them being inherently offensive? The only thing that's offensive is when they're taken to ridiculous extremes. Although one comment I read was a bit better on that note; one major factor isn't inherently the fact that a lot of breasts are designed ridiculously big or little to no covering, but moreso that this situation is placed on women far more than it is for men. Ridiculously sexualized men rarely happen in gaming compared to how much it is done for women (naturally to appeal to men).

The problem? It seems to make women out to be nothing more than sex objects, and THAT is what's offensive.

EDIT: Wow, it seems so weird seeing Impa wielding a BFS. I really expected something more like a katana. Hey, no one can complain about Impa getting added to Smash as a Sheik clone anymore, either! This game's been in development for a couple of years, they could've already known how Impa would've worked in this game and incorporated that into Smash Bros.

Wtf is that character in the lower right corner? Is that a redesigned Vaati?

EDIT 2: The thing that makes me think Vaati is the little note showcasing a Toon Link/Zelda. Not sure what game that's from, but its not Minish Cap. It does imply it is a character from an existing game, though, since there's literally no other reason to reference the toon games.

I think that is one of Shia's minions.

I would have provisionally agreed if this was a problem for every character in the game, but now we've seen Impa has a strong, practical looking outfit it gives me hope they are being respectful and it was a conscious decision to make evil girl's design fanservicey because it suits her character rather than anything else.  I agree that sexually designed characters happens far too often with women and not enough with men, I just felt this new girl was fairly tame as far as sexualisation goes.  She's got big 'uns but they didn't give her ridiculously massive puppies for her frame.

I would have provisionally agreed if this was a problem for every character in the game, but now we've seen Impa has a strong, practical looking outfit it gives me hope they are being respectful and it was a conscious decision to make evil girl's design fanservicey because it suits her character rather than anything else.  I agree that sexually designed characters happens far too often with women and not enough with men, I just felt this new girl was fairly tame as far as sexualisation goes.  She's got big 'uns but they didn't give her ridiculously massive puppies for her frame.

I'm not complaining about this game... yet. From what little we know its fairly sensible so far. In fact I'm complaining against this notion that because Team Ninja is working on it and one character so far has that kind of look that it instantly spells doom and gloom. If a trend like this keeps up we may have a problem, but I don't see anything too major at this point, just one character design that's questionable.

I gotta wonder why they haven't revealed that blue haired girl yet? She was kinda-sorta in the trailer so we already know she's a thing...

For those that don't know who I'm talking about:

anC6cDP.jpg

I'm not complaining about this game... yet. From what little we know its fairly sensible so far. In fact I'm complaining against this notion that because Team Ninja is working on it and one character so far has that kind of look that it instantly spells doom and gloom. If a trend like this keeps up we may have a problem, but I don't see anything too major at this point, just one character design that's questionable.

Ya, well its Team Omega in charge, so they do a fair mix of appearances(and cleavage), usualy knights and mystics have full clothing/armor, ninjas/assassins have the lighter stuff, and there is a couple of mixed stuff inbetween. You also have your male warriors, Hulks, and quite a few other groups

Also, something that should be interesting is that at least in Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, the plot had 3 primary heroes, wanna say 3 main villians, one true uber baddy, and then a good mix of supporting classes. Which means that Link and Zelda are the 2, but who is the third since Zelda is kidnapped?

Ya, well its Team Omega in charge, so they do a fair mix of appearances(and cleavage), usualy knights and mystics have full clothing/armor, ninjas/assassins have the lighter stuff, and there is a couple of mixed stuff inbetween. You also have your male warriors, Hulks, and quite a few other groups

Also, something that should be interesting is that at least in Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, the plot had 3 primary heroes, wanna say 3 main villians, one true uber baddy, and then a good mix of supporting classes. Which means that Link and Zelda are the 2, but who is the third since Zelda is kidnapped?

The third is probably Impa. Or did you mean to say Impa the first time?

Personally I think that Ganondorf will make an appearance in this game, though not necessarily as one of the main Antagonists.

The third is probably Impa. Or did you mean to say Impa the first time?

Personally I think that Ganondorf will make an appearance in this game, though not necessarily as one of the main Antagonists.

I meant Impa, ya, but Ganon is who I was reffering to as the big baddy, since its being implied that the witch is being controlled by a greater power.

I meant Impa, ya, but Ganon is who I was reffering to as the big baddy, since its being implied that the witch is being controlled by a greater power.

Personally I hope its NOT Ganondorf this time. He DEFINITELY should be a major contender in the game, but that said, I don't think he should usurp the main antagonist. I'd rather be it something like Majora or something new rather than Ganondorf. I'd really like a game where Ganondorf has a major role without being the Main Antagonist, and especially not yet another Hijacked by Ganon moment. The series has enough of those.

And speaking of which, I'd also like another game where Ganondorf is openly the Main Antagonist right from the start, instead of Ganondorf hijacking someone else later.

On another note...

Team Omega may be in charge, but are they in charge of the character designs as well? I'm not so sure, I'd say its very well possible that Nintendo are the ones who designed the characters.

Also, regarding my stance on how I think they should use major characters from existing games instead of creating an all new cast, I'm not saying that they shouldn't create any new characters at all, far from it. I just don't see the point in creating an ENTIRELY new cast when they've got plenty of characters they could draw on, and this is the perfect opportunity to bring some back.

Mainly this is in regards to that blue-haired girl, who appears to be a knight of some sort (it looks to me like she's wearing armor). Which I'm perfectly ok with. Certain roles should be filled. However, there's plenty of roles that can be filled by including significant characters from other games as well.

also, in regards to standard outfit setups, I'll take some snapshots on miiverse from the character select in WO3H later

Not sure if anyone made this connection but:

It seems a few of our characters are wearing interesting armor. 

*snip* 

Our "main" villain is sporting some interesting armor too.

*snip*

Ooh, nice catch. Dude's even got a dragon arm in that picture.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, the Impa design is really cool. My favorite design for her yet. She's more feminine than her OOT counterpart, without going too far and she's not freakishly tall and skinny like in SS!

Not sure if anyone made this connection but:

It seems a few of our characters are wearing interesting armor. 

4hnG6l3.jpg

730px-Volvagia.png

Our "main" villain is sporting some interesting armor too.

c3R5Ql0.jpg

Meg.png

Edit: I have the guy in red's name. His name is Valga.

I don't think that woman is Shia. I the original scan there was a woman with a different mask. I could be wrong, though.

Awesome catch, though. That's really cool.

Wow! I knew that guy's helmet was reminding me of something, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Those are some really cool references.

I think it'd be wise to not include Ganon in this since it's a spin-off.  The gameplay might not be for every Zelda fan and for that reason it'd be lame to have a key piece of the "main" history of Link, Zelda and Ganon be tied to an unusual game.

I mean not the end of the world, they'd get over it, but still, a thought.

The fact that the girl's armor is based off Poes has made me really love her design now.

Wow, the Impa design is really cool. My favorite design for her yet. She's more feminine than her OOT counterpart, without going too far and she's not freakishly tall and skinny like in SS!

I don't think that woman is Shia. I the original scan there was a woman with a different mask. I could be wrong, though.

Awesome catch, though. That's really cool.

The only women in the scans are that one women with the mask and Impa. Its Shia; the same character appears in several locations and its clearly the same character.

I think it'd be wise to not include Ganon in this since it's a spin-off.  The gameplay might not be for every Zelda fan and for that reason it'd be lame to have a key piece of the "main" history of Link, Zelda and Ganon be tied to an unusual game.

I mean not the end of the world, they'd get over it, but still, a thought.

The fact that the girl's armor is based off Poes has made me really love her design now.

Agreed on both accounts. And I'd go a step further and say that if this game has such a large cast, there's no reason not to include the main Zelda cast, but also a bunch of major characters from other games, too plus some new characters.

I love how this guy's design now that its clear he very much resembles Volvagia. I'm betting now that he actually IS Volvagia. My bets, too, are that Shia is connected to some other Zelda character. The only one remotely close to her would be Veran, but I find it unlikely. Instead she might be intended to be based on a dead character who appears in later games as a Poe (one of the Poe Sisters perhaps, even if unnamed).

After seeing these references I've certainly taken a much greater liking to them. I also like how Impa is a cross between OOT Impa and SS Impa. Slightly more SS than OOT, but she's definitely taking inspiration from both I'd say.

The only women in the scans are that one women with the mask and Impa. Its Shia; the same character appears in several locations and its clearly the same character.

Agreed on both accounts. And I'd go a step further and say that if this game has such a large cast, there's no reason not to include the main Zelda cast, but also a bunch of major characters from other games, too plus some new characters.

I love how this guy's design now that its clear he very much resembles Volvagia. I'm betting now that he actually IS Volvagia. My bets, too, are that Shia is connected to some other Zelda character. The only one remotely close to her would be Veran, but I find it unlikely. Instead she might be intended to be based on a dead character who appears in later games as a Poe (one of the Poe Sisters perhaps, even if unnamed).

After seeing these references I've certainly taken a much greater liking to them. I also like how Impa is a cross between OOT Impa and SS Impa. Slightly more SS than OOT, but she's definitely taking inspiration from both I'd say.

His name is Valga, so yeah, he's a clear reference to Volvalgia. 

Also, more from a translation friend of mine. Wizzrobes in this game have had their names abbreviated to Wizzros

And Shia is a reference to the Poe sisters. Her outfit is based off the Poe sister Meg, who is the last miniboss in the forest temple of Ocarina of Time.

Here's the Famitsu cover:

RDLzJPo.jpg

Link looks really cool.

Oh..

• Thumbs Up 1

His name is Valga, so yeah, he's a clear reference to Volvalgia. 

Also, more from a translation friend of mine. Wizzrobes in this game have had their names abbreviated to Wizzros

And Shia is a reference to the Poe sisters. Her outfit is based off the Poe sister Meg, who is the last miniboss in the forest temple of Ocarina of Time.

That's neat. Might be the case that this game takes place prior to OOT, or in an alternate secluded timeline and isn't part of the main one. I'd prefer it to be pre-OOT and Shia is supposed actually be Meg before dying and becoming a Poe, and likewise Valga is just Volvagia taking on a humanoid form. That'd be a really cool way to incorporate references to actual existing Zelda characters, and if that's the case, it means that so far we don't have any real "new" Zelda characters (assuming that the Poe dude is some other minor Zelda character from another game as well).

That's neat. Might be the case that this game takes place prior to OOT, or in an alternate secluded timeline and isn't part of the main one. I'd prefer it to be pre-OOT and Shia is supposed actually be Meg before dying and becoming a Poe, and likewise Valga is just Volvagia taking on a humanoid form. That'd be a really cool way to incorporate references to actual existing Zelda characters, and if that's the case, it means that so far we don't have any real "new" Zelda characters (assuming that the Poe dude is some other minor Zelda character from another game as well).

Since the name Wizzro was mentioned in the article, I think it's safe to assume those are Wizzrobes. 

Since the name Wizzro was mentioned in the article, I think it's safe to assume those are Wizzrobes. 

That's probably a good bet. Which would also mean that's not a general but a generic enemy.

Also, I stand my my original statement; I don't think Team Ninja or anyone else designed these characters. I fully think that these designs were done by Nintendo. There's so many references in the few characters we've seen so far. Now, I know that the character models were done by the team developing the game, but the concepts were probably drawn up and designed by Nintendo's artists to make sure they fit the Zelda series.

That's probably a good bet. Which would also mean that's not a general but a generic enemy.

Since he has a name, that probably means he's more important than your typical Wizzrobe.

Since he has a name, that probably means he's more important than your typical Wizzrobe.

According to what I've heard its not actually a name but just a rename of Wizzrobe. I suppose it could be a high ranking Wizzrobe, but the name "Wizzro" doesn't sound particularly inspiring.

"Also, more from a translation friend of mine. Wizzrobes in this game have had their names abbreviated to Wizzros."

Seems to imply that its not an actual character. Its possible, though, that the name of the character just hasn't been translated yet and this is a different note regarding the Wizzrobes.

EDIT:

Oh hell, I hated the idea of shortening "Wizzrobes" to Wizzros" at first. Then I realized that a large number of Zelda enemies end in "os," so its actually perfect. Wolfos, Stalfos, Lizalfos, Dinafos, etc.