Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

@Discoid She doesn't look that stripped compared to a lot of other things these days if I have to be honest, its pretty tame from what I'm seeing (though once again, its only the top so I wouldn't be able to make a valid assumption but I could still be right) honestly, while I might not know too terribly much what counts as sexualization these days, it seems to be tossed around a lot now when its really nothing. Not to say that your wrong for thinking that it might be like that (heck it could just be exactly as your describing it) but to call sexualization on one small screenshot is jumping to some pretty steep conclusions.

@Discoid She doesn't look that stripped compared to a lot of other things these days if I have to be honest, its pretty tame from what I'm seeing (though once again, its only the top so I wouldn't be able to make a valid assumption but I could still be right) honestly, while I might not know too terribly much what counts as sexualization these days, it seems to be tossed around a lot now when its really nothing. Not to say that your wrong for thinking that it might be like that (heck it could just be exactly as your describing it) but to call sexualization on one small screenshot is jumping to some pretty steep conclusions.

The quality is low, but nah, it's very clear that her whole outfit is pretty extreme.

537d8d2e24a14.png

Trying to say this isn't sexualized seems a bit naive to me, honestly. It's cool if you're okay with that, but it's pretty easy to see what they were going for.

I'll give you that one (wasn't paying too much attention to the scans) but I still stand by the fact that its a bit early to say that most of the female characters will be that way.

I'll give you that one (wasn't paying too much attention to the scans) but I still stand by the fact that its a bit early to say that most of the female characters will be that way.

They most likely won't be, either. We've already seen two others (including Impa) and they're completely covered up from what we can tell.

I don't think every single female in the game is going to be a scantily clad sex object, I just don't like what I'm hearing and seeing today. It's being made by Team Ninja, who I'm not at all fond of, the main antagonist at the beginning of the game is a scantily clad sex object, and the premise they're advertising sounds absurdly bad. 

I'm merely displeased with what we've been shown so far, and I don't trust the developer to make a game I'd find appealing. Not making extreme assumptions about the entire cast.

I don't think every single female in the game is going to be a scantily clad sex object, I just don't like what I'm hearing and seeing today. It's being made by Team Ninja, who I'm not at all fond of, the main antagonist at the beginning of the game is a scantily clad sex object, and the premise they're advertising sounds absurdly bad. 

I'm merely displeased with what we've been shown so far, and I don't trust the developer to make a game I'd find appealing. Not making extreme assumptions about the entire cast.

Why do you keep saying this? Team Ninja is NOT making the game, they are only provided a bit of additional support on it. Team Omega are the main team developing the game (plus Sakamoto was responsible for the story of Other M anyway).

The plot is starting to sound a bit more iffy now, but I still like the attention to detail in the designs. I'm cautiously optimistic but just the fact that this is supposed to have a lot of playable Zelda characters interests me... Hopefully we get some new info at E3.

I don't see the problem with the premise. The witch had negative thoughts and another evil being used that to take over her mind. It's not that different than Majora's Mask.

Of all things to get us in a tissy, its boobs. Truly they are powerful creations.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, this wouldn't be the first time we've had a skimpy, busty female antagonist in a Zelda game...

Xv6OkqX.png

Though the new gal's motive is somewhat off, I'll give the plot the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Holy freakin' shamoly.

This game looks amazing. Back when it was first revealed last year I was like "hey that looks kinda cool for a spin-off" but now... damn. I hope they have tons on this at E3, along with a release date for the West, because this is looking like an excellent way to carry on the Wii U's release schedule following Mario Kart 8 and tide everyone over til Smash Bros.

Seriously, dem graphics!

And Booby McBoob Lady appears to be the only female character so far that has undergone the Team Ninja treatment, with Impa being respectfully presented, so as long as they don't go mad on the jiggle physics elsewhere I don't see that being much of an issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

The premise is kind of interesting to me. Skyward Sword only dabbled with the idea of romance as something that infuses the plot with a significant purpose. Hyrule Warriors going down that line feels like the first time a Zelda plot's premise is driven entirely by emotionally fueled ambitions. A Link Between World's plot ultimately boiled down to being a result of jealousy as well, and even if it was more or less the state of the kingdom rather than a singular entity the target was directed at the concept can easily be pulled off the other way. Why is Shia looking for Link's attention to begin with? Considering the Zelda lore and him basically being the Triforce of Courage kid I'd like to imagine even if it is for a selfish reason (and by all accounts almost all the games in the entire series are built on premises grounded on selfish reasons) it probably isn't just because she wants to bone.

The game will invariably be hijacked by Ganon or Demise down the line and then Zelda and Shia will become playable characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

The premise is kind of interesting to me. Skyward Sword only dabbled with the idea of romance as something that infuses the plot with a significant purpose. Hyrule Warriors going down that line feels like the first time a Zelda plot's premise is driven entirely by emotionally fueled ambitions. A Link Between World's plot ultimately boiled down to being a result of jealousy as well, and even if it was more or less the state of the kingdom rather than a singular entity the target was directed at the concept can easily be pulled off the other way. Why is Shia looking for Link's attention to begin with? Considering the Zelda lore and him basically being the Triforce of Courage kid I'd like to imagine even if it is for a selfish reason (and by all accounts almost all the games in the entire series are built on premises grounded on selfish reasons) it probably isn't just because she wants to bone.

The game will invariably be hijacked by Ganon or Demise down the line and then Zelda and Shia will become playable characters.

I'd suspect that even the antagonists are playable in other game modes. And yeah, this game needs Ganondorf.

I'm hoping for references to a large variety of villains. Except for Wizzros, the villains so far are clearly based on existing characters (and even Wizzros looks just like the Poe Merchant from OOT). So it'd be cool having others like Agahnim, Veran, Vaati, Onox, Twinrova, etc. Plus heroes like the Seven Sages.

We'll see how it goes, but I for one think that what we've learned so far indicates we will be getting existing Zelda characters instead of an all new cast.

"The pre-order costumes will be paid DLC after release"

SIGH. SIGH. SIGH. I seriously don't think you can defend this kind of thing. I'm glad that everyone can get the costumes if they didn't get the special edition sure, but having to pay extra for stuff that's on the disc is still the kinda thing I hoped Nintendo would never go anywhere near.

And I still don't really care about the romance plot. As others have pointed out, Zelda game plots have been driven on emotions before. And yeah, Shia's pretty booby, but unfortunately this is the Zelda game Nintendo are making to try and get Zelda more popular in Japan (it's never been very popular there) so they seem to be adjusting the art style to suit their target demographic. Which is understandable, but obviously not "ok" with every Zelda fan :/

To get over this myself I'm just gonna think about Zelda's past booby characters (OoT Great Fairies, TP Great Fairies, Princess Ruto, Veran, etc) and how they probably would have looked more "promiscuous" on more advanced hardware. If Shia's a good character in her own right, and if the game's camera doesn't go out of its way to constantly focus on her figure during gameplay or cutscenes, then there isn't a huge problem?

If Other M's Samus was characterised properly, people would have taken less issue with the obligatory camera butt shots. As the game is, they merely serve as a sin on top of a sin and you can't defend them. You can't really defend them either way but you know what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 4

"The pre-order costumes will be paid DLC after release"

SIGH. SIGH. SIGH. I seriously don't think you can defend this kind of thing. I'm glad that everyone can get the costumes if they didn't get the special edition sure, but having to pay extra for stuff that's on the disc is still the kinda thing I hoped Nintendo would never go anywhere near.

And I still don't really care about the romance plot. As others have pointed out, Zelda game plots have been driven on emotions before. And yeah, Shia's pretty booby, but unfortunately this is the Zelda game Nintendo are making to try and get Zelda more popular in Japan (it's never been very popular there) so they seem to be adjusting the art style to suit their target demographic. Which is understandable, but obviously not "ok" with every Zelda fan :/

To get over this myself I'm just gonna think about Zelda's past booby characters (OoT Great Fairies, TP Great Fairies, Princess Ruto, Veran, etc) and how they probably would have looked more "promiscuous" on more advanced hardware. If Shia's a good character in her own right, and if the game's camera doesn't go out of its way to constantly focus on her figure during gameplay or cutscenes, then there isn't a huge problem?

If Other M's Samus was characterised properly, people would have taken less issue with the obligatory camera butt shots. As the game is, they merely serve as a sin on top of a sin and you can't defend them. You can't really defend them either way but you know what I mean.

Not going to defend day one DLC, but first of all we don't know if it'll be on the disc. And second of all, I don't really care all too much if its just an alternate costume. Its a neat little bonus if you want, but its not a big deal. Its not like its a game breaking unlock you can get through DLC, THAT would piss me off.

But yeah, the thing is that I don't necessarily believe that Shia is much different from prior Zelda sexualized characters. The difference is this is a newer game with a higher quality of graphics. As long as its not a major factor I'm ok with it. Its annoying, but if it isn't a huge focus in the game then its not as big of a deal.

And certainly I don't want characters who haven't been sexualized in the past to suddenly become sexualized, that'd be a big no-no. And I really like what they've done with Impa, she looks badass and isn't sexualized at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not going to defend day one DLC, but first of all we don't know if it'll be on the disc. And second of all, I don't really care all too much if its just an alternate costume. Its a neat little bonus if you want, but its not a big deal. Its not like its a game breaking unlock you can get through DLC, THAT would piss me off.

But yeah, the thing is that I don't necessarily believe that Shia is much different from prior Zelda sexualized characters. The difference is this is a newer game with a higher quality of graphics. As long as its not a major factor I'm ok with it. Its annoying, but if it isn't a huge focus in the game then its not as big of a deal.

And certainly I don't want characters who haven't been sexualized in the past to suddenly become sexualized, that'd be a big no-no. And I really like what they've done with Impa, she looks badass and isn't sexualized at all.

It's being announced a good many months before launch, chances are that even if they had the time in their schedule to implement a mere few costumes for the original game shipment, they wouldn't. It's gonna be on disc. It's not game breaking, and there are worse day1 dlc things, but it represents the beginning of a slippery slope I hoped Nintendo would never go near.

And yeah, I'd say wait to see what they do with other characters before worrying. Once we see characters who had never been "booby" before getting sexual redesigns, then I'll be mad. For now, Shia is a Zelda villain with a lot of skin, and that's happened before.

Also don't forget that Midna, a widely loved character that's seen as thoroughly positive in characterisation, has an undoubtedly "sexy" design in her true form. The reason no one cares is because the game is tasteful enough to not make that the end-all of her character. Hopefully Shia will be the same, and if it's so then I don't see the problem with the plot or Shia. She's a witch who guards the Triforce, and a villain uses her jealousy of Princess Zelda (jealousy that isn't even inherently romantic by nature) to brainwash her. That honestly doesn't sound too bad or weird for Zelda when written in that way, so in the end it seriously depends on how the characters are depicted in the game itself.

It's being announced a good many months before launch, chances are that even if they had the time in their schedule to implement a mere few costumes for the original game shipment, they wouldn't. It's gonna be on disc. It's not game breaking, and there are worse day1 dlc things, but it represents the beginning of a slippery slope I hoped Nintendo would never go near.

And yeah, I'd say wait to see what they do with other characters before worrying. Once we see characters who had never been "booby" before getting sexual redesigns, then I'll be mad. For now, Shia is a Zelda villain with a lot of skin, and that's happened before.

Also don't forget that Midna, a widely loved character that's seen as thoroughly positive in characterisation, has an undoubtedly "sexy" design in her true form. The reason no one cares is because the game is tasteful enough to not make that the end-all of her character. Hopefully Shia will be the same, and if it's so then I don't see the problem with the plot or Shia. She's a witch who guards the Triforce, and a villain uses her jealousy of Princess Zelda (jealousy that isn't even inherently romantic by nature) to brainwash her. That honestly doesn't sound too bad or weird for Zelda when written in that way, so in the end it seriously depends on how the characters are depicted in the game itself.

Agreed. And yes I'm well aware of Midna. In fact if that is the Mirror of Twilight we're seeing in screenshots, I think we will get Midna in this game as well. As long as they don't sexualize characters who weren't already sexualized before, I'm ok with it (preferably not going too overboard...). Although I'd be better with it if they added a few "sexualized" men as well, just so its not entirely lopsided towards women.

Shia could turn into an interesting character, as well. I'm somewhat intrigued by the fact that she appears to be based on the Poe Sister Meg and I'm wondering who else could be revisioned in such a way.

As for the day one DLC fiasco, though, Mario Golf had day one DLC that wasn't on disc. Just keep that in mind.

I really like the way Impa looks:

gal_07.jpg

gal_18.jpg

That sword, though. Could it look any bigger?

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe this is just me, but I feel that since Tecmo Koei is the company actually putting the game together, then they would be the ones to blame for any on disc dlc.  Or at least they would be more at fault for it than Nintendo.  This strikes me less as Nintendo going against their word and more Nintendo just not stopping Tecmo Koei from doing something they've probably done several times before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the way Impa looks:

gal_07.jpg

gal_18.jpg

That sword, though. Could it look any bigger?

I love the fact that Impa wields this big huge sword as a weapon. I really like Impa's design and her weapon and fighting style is so unexpected that its totally badass. I just love it.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel that since Tecmo Koei is the company actually putting the game together, then they would be the ones to blame for any on disc dlc.  Or at least they would be more at fault for it than Nintendo.  This strikes me less as Nintendo going against their word and more Nintendo just not stopping Tecmo Koei from doing something they've probably done several times before.

In this case I will agree with you, but not because they're the ones putting the game together. The reason is that they're the ones marketing and publishing the game in Japan. This is a preorder bonus, and if this is exclusive to Japan, that is entirely on Techmo Koei because they're publishing and marketing the game in Japan.

However, if Nintendo does the same thing for the western release, then its more questionable. That means they had a general consensus rather than it just being something Techmo Koei did for the Japan release. Aonuma is overseeing the project, he gets the final say on everything. It could be Techmo Koei responsible, it could be Nintendo, but Nintendo has the final say.

Regardless of who is developing the game, Nintendo is responsible for greenlighting these kinds of things, so they are still at fault. Again, the only way this doesn't apply is if Nintendo isn't doing the same thing for the western release.

She had a similar weapon in Skyward Sword, didn't she? I don't remember it being anywhere near as thick though.

Yeah Tecmo Koei does ondisc costume dlc like it's going out of fashion.

But the fact that Nintendo didn't stop them and thought "eh this is an ok thing to do" bugs me.

• Thumbs Up 2

For a game about Zelda, we've seen a whole lot of nothing about the titular character (God, I hope that doesn't become a pun.)