Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

Okay, Hyrule Warriors Team.  You've definitely got me hooked.

Now show us some Majora's Mask characters and levels and I'll buy three copies.

EDIT: Was I the only one who thought "Meta Ridley?!" the first time they showed Argorok?  I really hope I wasn't.

Okay, Hyrule Warriors Team.  You've definitely got me hooked.

Now show us some Majora's Mask characters and levels and I'll buy three copies.

All you have is this to tide you over.

gal_68.jpg

So apparently there was a grass stage but it was hellish to develop so they decided to cut it.

I guess they couldn't afford to mow it all down...

:3

I guess they couldn't afford to mow it all down...

:3

Anymore puns and I will grass on you.

oh crap

All you have is this to tide you over.

gal_68.jpg

The fact that any character can call down the Moon makes me worried for Skull Kid.

Like, seriously, I know he's practically a lock, but we better get goddamn Skull Kid.

As far as Zant goes, he's definitely going to be a "Villain" in this game, and I think you can pretty much guarantee he'll be playable, too, along with the rest of the villains.

So have these characters been updated on the website yet?

Also, Lana's spells... have tons of references to Nayru's love, such as the diamond symbols on the barriers.

I don't think the villains will necessarily be playable. Most of the villains in the first Pirate Warriors games weren't playable.

I don't think the villains will necessarily be playable. Most of the villains in the first Pirate Warriors games weren't playable.

But isn't pirate warriors an anomaly among the various spinoffs that have been done with the warriors series? wouldn't say Gundam warriors, which was with a series that was actualy combat based be a better comparison

Info from the Nintendo facebook page.

Lana is sorceress with a deep knowledge of spells, monsters, and using spells on monsters. She's very energetic and ready to give the war for Hyrule everything she's got. Lana and Cia have an unspoken hostility, even beyond the normal anger that war brings out. Lana is fiercely determined to put a halt to Cia's plans, even at the cost of her own life or happiness. Don't underestimate Lana just because she's usually so optimistic! Her natural athletic energy serves her well and allows her to quickly dive around her enemies and attack with her book of sorcery, which utilizes electrifying spells that her enemies never see coming.

*coughsistercough*

Agitha is the self-proclaimed princess of the insect kingdom, late of the Era of Twilight. Agitha keeps a bright smile on at all times and looks at the world through a sweeter lens than her allies. But just because she's so cheery doesn't excuse her from battle! 
Agitha’s parasol is her standard weapon, though her real strength resides in the bugs she summons forth in times of need, such as a giant beetle or a magnificent butterfly. Never underestimate the power of an insect princess!

Last seen as the boss of the City in the Sky from Twilight Princess, Argorok is a powerful Twilit Dragon enhanced by a Mirror Shard from the Mirror of Twilight. His entire body is covered with hard armor, giving him extremely high defense. Surprisingly, he has a far higher bit of intelligence compared to the usual dragons that fly around Hyrule, shown mainly with his tactic of attacking from a vantage point high above the battlefield where normal soldiers can't reach him.

Zant is the usurper king of the Twilight Realm. Once Cia used the Gate of Souls to open a portal to his era, Zant was free to continue his shadowy misdeeds in Hyrule and beyond.

He may look rather calm at a first glance, but his true nature is very frantic. He will go into fits of hysteria once he’s driven into a corner or doesn’t get his way. Dual-wielding scimitars is Zant’s style, allowing him to swing wildly about or dash with intent toward his enemies. He also possesses a great deal of magical attacks, so approach him with extreme caution.

You'd probably be wrong then, since Ganondorf has been all but confirmed.

EDIT: And the above information all but confirms Zant as a playable character, too.

Anyway, they specifically refer to Agitha being from the "Era of Twilight", so I think we've got the basis for our "Zelda Generations" theory right here.  I wonder what the other "eras" will be called.

But isn't pirate warriors an anomaly among the various spinoffs that have been done with the warriors series? wouldn't say Gundam warriors, which was with a series that was actualy combat based be a better comparison

Like I've said before, starting a new Warriors sub-series means building a new set of games, models, areas, from scratch. The reason Pirate Warriors had few playable characters isn't because it's a One Piece game, it's because it's the first in its series. Pirate Warriors 2 had way more characters because they were able to reuse assets and put most of the PW2 development time into making new characters rather than the entire game.

With Hyrule Warriors it's more likely we're looking at a Pirate Warriors or Gundam Warriors situation.

EDIT: And I didn't say no villains would be playable. Just bc Ganondorf is likely to be playable doesn't mean Cia, Zant and all these others will be playable.

Hm, perhaps it's just me being my usual overly speculatory self, but I can't help but think that Lana has something to do with Nayru. I mean, she is a blue-haired woman whose gameplay style is all about barriers with a diamond symbol on them, much like the Nayru's Love spell in Ocarina of Time.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say that Cia and Lana are related, look:

2v0lt1z.jpg

Though originally I thought she may have been a younger Cia, I dismissed that due to various differences in their body shapes (and that tan).

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think Lana is connected to Nayru, but it is starting to look like Cia is in fact related to Lana as well.

Say you guys I just had a funky thought, what if they are messing with our heads, and with all the time travel shenanigans, the Ganondorf we get is the very original, but from several years before the events of OoT, and is actualy one of the good guys?! I mean think about it, if the great evil is actualy ganon, then Ganondorf isnt nessecarily the evil... just a little bit of a mind twister there

Also in the interviews they said over half the playable characters are female, and well, lets look at it this way, we already know 5 playable for sure females, and already know of 2 in-game possibilities(Cia and the Great fairy), then we add the extremely likelys, (as in a Zora, and a Gerudo), which brings it up to 9 females, we know Link and Ganondorf are happening, and again Wizro and Volgia are possible, and we are likely getting a Goron as well, Then add the likely legacy characters(Groose, Zelda's father) that brings us to a total of 16(9 females, 7 males), and they said they were surprised by so much, and if we add at least 2 more original characters, and say ~10 legacy characters we are already at 28

Fact is I'm expecting a playable roster between 25-40 characters, and would be extremely happy for more, but using logic we can see the minimum is going to be at least 20-25 characters

Say you guys I just had a funky thought, what if they are messing with our heads, and with all the time travel shenanigans, the Ganondorf we get is the very original, but from several years before the events of OoT, and is actualy one of the good guys?! I mean think about it, if the great evil is actualy ganon, then Ganondorf isnt nessecarily the evil... just a little bit of a mind twister there

Also in the interviews they said over half the playable characters are female, and well, lets look at it this way, we already know 5 playable for sure females, and already know of 2 in-game possibilities(Cia and the Great fairy), then we add the extremely likelys, (as in a Zora, and a Gerudo), which brings it up to 9 females, we know Link and Ganondorf are happening, and again Wizro and Volgia are possible, and we are likely getting a Goron as well, Then add the likely legacy characters(Groose, Zelda's father) that brings us to a total of 16(9 females, 7 males), and they said they were surprised by so much, and if we add at least 2 more original characters, and say ~10 legacy characters we are already at 28

Fact is I'm expecting a playable roster between 25-40 characters, and would be extremely happy for more, but using logic we can see the minimum is going to be at least 20-25 characters

At this point I am thinking 20-25. Originally I was thinking a minimum of 30, but now I'm thinking 20-25 is the cap, though I'd love to see more.

That said, comparisons to Pirate Warriors don't work because the game played completely different. Also, as for the villains being playable, its pretty obvious. The villains are all fully designed characters and everything. I don't see why we COULDN'T play as them. Its not like they have to design new movesets for them and everything, they're already designed.

Oh, as for Ganondorf, I would love it if its actually Ganondorf before he's evil, but I doubt that being the case. That said I really do hope Ganondorf doesn't turn out to be the main antagonist and has to team up with Link to defeat a greater evil. I'm actually kinda thinking, maybe an unexpected character is the main antagonist and got possessed by Majora, and after freeing said character from Majora's control Majora is the final boss (since Majora seems to be a much bigger entity trapped within a mask).

I'm also hoping to see some of the OOT sages pop up soon and perhaps Vaati as the next announced villain.

• Thumbs Up 1

so you guys, a warning now, be careful what reviews you read for this game. Not because of Nintendo prejudice, but because there is a decent amount of warriors prejudice. What I mean is that there isn't too much different between the main game entries, and there  have been enough that a number of reviewers just dis a new entry for having the staples. Now if you are planning to get every warriors game and play them all through, this could be a problem, but if you are just playing one or two of them, like Hyrule warriors(and orochi warriors 3 hyper to prepare you), you aren't going to have an issue

if you want an example this article http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/27/hyrule-warriors-hands-on-preview-plus-the-misery-of-sonic-boom-4778036/ has a lot of negativity, however its for stuff thats in the norm for the warriors series, not necessarily flaws in the game own right. They are also ignoring the enhanced over-sized boss battle system, but I get a feeling you can't get a true feeling for that until you play the actual game 

• Thumbs Up 2

Warriors games rarely get very positive reviews because if you've played one you've played them all. They're games that aren't made or played for their gameplay but for harmless fun, adrenaline and fanservice, and as such the developers know that fans enjoy more of the same rather than considerable game evolutions.

It may be kinda hard to explain but, expect Hyrule Warriors' reviews to be like 6s and 7s, maybe a bit higher from Nintendo enthusiasts who love all the Zelda goodness within. Many reviews will of course point out that the games aren't bad they're just "nothing special or extraordinary". A game that does fine in doing only what's expected of it isn't gonna get amazing reviews, basically.

It's not a prejudice against the Warriors series per se, it's just that it's not really fair to expect a game to get critical acclaim for intentionally average gameplay on a game thats sale point isn't its gameplay at all. It's sorta like how Animal Crossing City Folk got weaker reviews than most AC games simply for being the same game as Wild World. It's not a "bad game" and no one says it is, it's just not done anything special compared to others in its series.

Basically what I would say to people who are new to Warriors games is, if you don't mind the idea of taking out hordes of enemies with over the top combos that take minimal skill to execute, stringed along by fun fanservice filled cutscenes, multiple playable characters, music remixes and tons of other fanservicey things, it's probably worth getting. However, if gameplay is everything to you, don't expect this to be any different from most Warriors games, because it won't be. Try not to be too offended by the inevitable 6/10s and 7/10s, because despite the solid but average gameplay, it's the truckload of content and fanservice that makes Warriors successful, not its gameplay quality or game design.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, good thing I've never played a Warriors game, right? XP

I've never played a Warriors game, but it looks kinda fun. I'll take the Zelda fanservice of Hyrule Warriors any day and enjoy it. Probably won't play the other warriors games, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only Warriors game I play frequently is One Piece PW1/2 but mostly 2 since it's definitely more designed like a traditional Warriors game and you can jump into it without having some weird "get to the destination under these conditions!" terms that the first game often did. Although I liked the fact boss battles were more akin to the anime/manga with a one on one arena style battle with QTE's to do like, the iconic moves they used in the series to beat the boss. i.e. Gomu Gomu no Bazooka on Buggy the Clown after Nami tied his body parts off, or Gomu Gomu no Axe where Luffy destroys Arlong's empire floor by floor. Pirate Warriors 2 had more characters and it's own story sure, but it was still "take the territories, don't let your base or captains fall" But Boss encounters were virtually the same as fighting area captains.

I hope we get a mix of both in Hyrule Warriors, I'd love to have special condition boss fights where it's just you Vs them with some iconic scenes from how you beat them from their respective games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been thinking, if this game is successful or if Nintendo wants to revisit this, there could possibly be a Fire Emblem Warriors game. But this is me just thinking too far ahead. Would it sound like a good idea? 

I've been thinking, if this game is successful or if Nintendo wants to revisit this, there could possibly be a Fire Emblem Warriors game. But this is me just thinking too far ahead. Would it sound like a good idea? 

Fire Emblem would work very well for this type of game. The only downside is that Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy series.

For Fire Emblem, though, they could make character "classes" instead of individual playable characters, and the individual playable characters would vastly outnumber a typical Warriors game because they'd all just be reskins. All the mook troops would be based on classes, too, and it would be slightly more strategic, because you take control of a character, have multiple weapons and can upgrade weapons (from Bronze to Iron to Steel, etc.), and keep going on from there.

It could be interesting, but the complexity of a game like that would probably make it something that would take a bit longer to handle. Fire Emblem is easily the best franchise for a Warriors style of gameplay, but they'd want to add in strategy elements to make it feel more like Fire Emblem, plus, keep in mind that Zelda is FAR more popular and is FAR more likely to sell extremely well.

I haven't played any of the Warriors games but I'm a HUGE Zelda fan and I like the look of it in all the gameplay footage I saw at E3, so this game is definitely mine.

Screw the critics, I'll enjoy it either way!

• Thumbs Up 2