Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

Well no shit

Well let's stop being greedy about it?

...those are different people. Each Impa is a different person, in the same way all the Links and Zeldas are different people. I wouldn't expect an Impa in this game to be identical to any particular Impa (at least, if the game went the way I'd like it to go). But given that all Impas have been Sheikah, and some of them have been warriors, it'd be reasonable for them to make an Impa who is a Sheikah warrior if they wanted a Sheikah warrior in the game.

Okay Diogenes, what exactly are you trying to prove? You're saying "I don't want Sheik in this game", but at this point you seem to be jumping at any possible excuse to justify keeping her out, and make ten more excuses whenever I use your points to support my argument of having her around.

You want canon accuracy, I call other parts canon inaccurate with a possibility of that being irrelevant if they use everything and everyone they can from different games; you say something can exist alongside something else, and I repeat it for Sheik and Zelda; now you say something is more mutable than the other, I find something else that's mutable, then you repeat how mutable everything else is down to the central characters. And this is all over me suggesting Sheik be playable with Zelda.

I mean, are we just playing "make up excuses" here?

Well if this is going to be taking characters from all corners of the Zelda franchise, I wouldn't mind seeing Shiek and Zelda as two separate characters. We got Link and Toon Link in SSB, I see no difference here. Speaking of Toon Link, I would so ki for some representation from WW.(preferably Tetra.) But I kinda doubt that will happen. Just give me Gannon, Zelda,Shiek and of course Link and I'll be satisfied.

Well let's stop being greedy about it?

I'm just discussing my opinions, I'm not demanding they shape the game around my wants.

Okay Diogenes, what exactly are you trying to prove? You're saying "I don't want Sheik in this game", but at this point you seem to be jumping at any possible excuse to justify keeping her out, and make ten more excuses whenever I use your points to support my argument.

You want canon accuracy, I call other parts canon inaccurate; you say something can exist alongside something else, and I repeat it for Sheik and Zelda; now you say something is more mutable than the other, I find something else that's mutable, then you repeat how mutable everything else is down to the central characters. And this is all over me suggesting Sheik be playable with Zelda.

I mean, what is this a discussion of making excuses here?

I'm just following the discussion, responding to the points you bring up.

My main two points are: I would prefer this game not just pulls things in from all over the place without caring about canon, and, I don't want any random Zelda to also be a Sheik because I feel being Sheik was something particular to one specific Zelda.

I don't even know how we got on this tangent about various Impas at this point.

I'm just following the discussion, responding to the points you bring up.

My main two points are: I would prefer this game not just pulls things in from all over the place without caring about canon, and, I don't want any random Zelda to also be a Sheik because I feel being Sheik was something particular to one specific Zelda.

I don't even know how we got on this tangent about various Impas at this point.

We went from several tangents to the various Impas because I was using her as an example of people being equally mutable as species, the opposite of what you  claimed earlier. 

This was a point that if she and everyone else is mutable enough to be different, then arguing how less mutable people are is pointless, especially as far as canon accuracy goes in a series that probably isn't going to care as far as the potential characters they bring in should they choose to mix characters from different games into a crossover like they did with Gundam.

This is especially considering that you first used Impa as an example of a sheikian from the beginning when I first suggested Sheik be playable, so how does that tie in with everything else you said only for you to go back on it now that it came full circle?

But I'm saying, it makes more sense for a species to just...continue to exist, even if we didn't necessarily see them in every game, as compared to one very specific person recurring for no reason. Dodongos, as a species, can (and do) exist throughout the series' multiple timelines, and what we see in the teaser trailer is just a member of the species, not the specific dodongo from OoT. Or maybe they're summoned by Ganon or something, either way. But why would a completely different Zelda than the one from OoT disguise herself as a Sheikah? That's a very, very specific circumstance, why would it be replicated here?

If this does turn out to be a clusterfuck that just takes anything from anywhere, then yeah, all this is pointless, but we don't know that yet, so I'm not operating under that assumption.

• Thumbs Up 1

This sounds awesome to me! I missed not getting to play the one piece stuff since it is digital and I'll never get to play them, but this looks like something easily placeable on disk that will let me play it.

Ive played most of the dynasty warriors and samurai warriors games and I'm a big fan of this series. Yes, they can be a bit repetitive, but if you are into it, you don't flippin care if it is repetitive or not. The gameplay is just so fun and the commentary and such during battle are just so great. Dynasty Warriors games often have great stories and the orochi games even more so since they aren't stuck to a set history to work with where they can be completely original. If anything, you can likely expect the story to be the shining element of the entire game. This company usually is pretty good at telling stories in what ways they can. The gameplay is fun and the story is fun. The graphics may not be WOW look at that, but the fun gameplay and story make up for it by miles.

I can tell others  about the warriors series as they see fit though, because heck, I'm getting another warriors game for christmas anyway. I spend like 100 hours or so with each one I get XD

I know this sounds silly , but I wonder if and how this game will fit into the timeline. Maybe this game chronicles the Imprisoning War?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really into hack n slash games, but I do like the LoZ series and this looks promising. It seems to have some cool gameplay elements and not just QTE bullcrap (looking at you Ryse). Can't wait to see more of this!

But why would a completely different Zelda than the one from OoT disguise herself as a Sheikah? That's a very, very specific circumstance, why would it be replicated here?

That would depend on how the plot explains it, which we both know little of. All I have is what they've done in previous franchises, so for the time being I'm throwing suggestions purely for the gameplay and how cool it would be.

If this does turn out to be a clusterfuck that just takes anything from anywhere, then yeah, all this is pointless, but we don't know that yet, so I'm not operating under that assumption.

Fair enough, but I'm keeping my mind and options open as far as the characters go.

If this game's Zelda takes inspiration from any one game's interpretation of the character, I kind of expect it to be Twilight Princess'. A more mature, elegant, stoic Zelda might be the best fit for a game about Hyrule in an honest-to-God big-ass war, and TP Zelda had a sword that it'd be really cool to actually see her use. Plus we've had "cute" Zeldas for a few games in a row now, and while I prefer those, I also love me some variety.

(please remember to give her a personality and more than ten minutes of screen time in this game though)

On closer inspection, I kind of like the generic Hyrule soldiers. They continue the tradition of Hyrule's army pretty much never having a consistent look, but those four-square Crusades-y tabards remind me pleasantly of Age of Empires (and, y'know, history), and their eye-concealing helmets are vaguely similar to the ones the guards from Ocarina wore. It's kind of nice that they're not overburdened with Triforce symbols and Loftwings and stuff too; the simplicity is nice. Probably done out of necessity to keep things from getting confusing, but it works.

I'm not really into hack n slash games, but I do like the LoZ series and this looks promising. It seems to have some cool gameplay elements and not just QTE bullcrap (looking at you Ryse). Can't wait to see more of this!

I know one thing: I see a single QTE that takes me away from the action and this game's gonna get a severe docking in score from me.

I'm slightly in agreement with Diogenes here. As awesome as it'd be to see Sheik, I'd prefer Zelda to NOT appear as Sheik at all EXCEPT as an OPTIONAL alternate costume. Rather, I want Zelda to fight all on her own without a disguise, and I'd rather not have Sheik as a separate character.

So far it does appear to be a mesh of multiple games, but that doesn't mean there won't be a canon storyline to it, and personally, I'd prefer it that way. That doesn't mean we can't have it be mixing and matching various characters throughout the series, but there could still be a canon storyline that follows along with specific characters, and considering how the series often works, its very possible that said characters are new versions of existing characters.

As far as Impa goes, she's not as consistent as Link and Zelda, but generally, there are two versions of Impa; older Impa and younger Impa. Impa in the Oracle games is kind of a middle-of-the-road type; she appears to be more middle-aged and isn't as "ninja-like" as SS/OoT Impa. All other Impa's are older, but generally look fairly consistent.

For a ninja character, Impa is the most logical choice. She can be inspired by both OoT and SS. I personally would love to see "regular" Zelda have some Sheik-like moves, perhaps because she was trained by Impa, but she doesn't need to BE Sheik, and as others have stated, Sheik is something that was really exclusive to OoT. Personally I'd like to see them remove Sheik from Smash Bros. as well and just merge Sheik's moveset with regular Zelda (perhaps adding Impa as a new character).

Oh

Oh my

GUYS! OOOOH MY!!!

A blunt "YES!" pretty much sums up my feels for this. While I have concerns about it being shallow or just a button mash that doesn't require much thought, it just looks waaaay too badass and awesome to pass up regardless. Extremely digging Link's design. The best part is his agility in this game, since I've always wanted him to move a bit less clunky and more like a speedy swordsman. I just really hope there's some online components to do some intense fighting, or at the very least through in some bosses with pretty awesome AI that can go toe to toe with you (can you imagine a Dark Link fight like this?)

Color me hyped and feels good to have another Wii U game to look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh

Oh my

GUYS! OOOOH MY!!!

A blunt "YES!" pretty much sums up my feels for this. While I have concerns about it being shallow or just a button mash that doesn't require much thought, it just looks waaaay too badass and awesome to pass up regardless. Extremely digging Link's design. The best part is his agility in this game, since I've always wanted him to move a bit less clunky and more like a speedy swordsman. I just really hope there's some online components to do some intense fighting, or at the very least through in some bosses with pretty awesome AI that can go toe to toe with you (can you imagine a Dark Link fight like this?)

Color me hyped and feels good to have another Wii U game to look forward to.

They can't have a game like this and NOT include a "Dark Link" fight. DANG that would be insane.

I'd really, really much rather have a Zelda game in Sengoku Basara style, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. They way you always have to use 2-3 other moves to access priority attacks in Warriors games has always been a particularly huge pet peeve of mine is all.

If the roster is anywhere near as huge as a typical Warriors game though, I could easily forgive it. Make fuckin' Kafei playable for all I care - these types of games are pretty much the perfect excuse to go all the way to the bottom of the barrel, and seeing them all in one game would be glorious.

I know nothing about Zelda, but watched the trailer. The one thing I'll say is it looks really unimpressive graphically.

I may be misremembering my Dynasty Warriors, but that's kind of a series staple I'm afraid. A trade-off for the amount of enemies.

Someone on GameFAQs spotted some more unique characters mixed in with the grunts:

F8Ake3i.png

The first one's visible center screen just after the dodongo rolls (and looks like they might be based on SS Impa), the other's in the top right when Link raises his sword in the next scene.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo enemy generals? I wonder who's going to be the Royal Motherfucker Lu Bu equivalent. 

It's really bending my brain thinking about how they're going to wrap Zelda in Musou mechanics. What are they going to keep and what are they going to discard from both games?

I haven't really played one since like.... 5 though, so maybe they've already established a formula for bringing other franchises into a fuedal china wargame.

I keep meaning to either pick up One Piece Musou or the FotNS one but have never got around to it. 

I'd really, really much rather have a Zelda game in Sengoku Basara style, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. They way you always have to use 2-3 other moves to access priority attacks in Warriors games has always been a particularly huge pet peeve of mine is all.

If the roster is anywhere near as huge as a typical Warriors game though, I could easily forgive it. Make fuckin' Kafei playable for all I care - these types of games are pretty much the perfect excuse to go all the way to the bottom of the barrel, and seeing them all in one game would be glorious.

Kafei would be another absolutely EPIC potential playable character. I sure hope it would be as huge as a typical Warriors game based on what I'm hearing; the Zelda series has such a huge cast filled with potential, and barely anyone has ever been made playable in the series. Outside of Smash the only fully playable character is Link for crying out loud!

Despite what others are saying, I don't think the graphics are THAT bad. I think they look quite decent overall.

EDIT: In regards to the picture shown above, the first does resemble SS Impa, although do note that SS Impa is also a return to the OoT style Impa as well. Yeah, there are significant differences, but the two are still quite similar regardless.

I can't think of who the second character could possibly be at this point. If it turns out it IS actually a crossover and not just a Zelda game in Dynasty Warriors style (based on existing spinoffs to Dynasty Warriors that seems unlikely) it could be a Dynasty Warriors character.

AWESOME! Looks more fun then the recent Zelda titles to be honest, I much prefer the hack and slash style and with the Zelda theme = awesome!
Definitely a better crossover idea than the stupid Yoshi level in Lost World.

According to certain sources of mine who have played that SLW crossover level, it actually plays better than regular SLW.

AWESOME! Looks more fun then the recent Zelda titles to be honest, I much prefer the hack and slash style and with the Zelda theme = awesome!

A crossover is when both game series come together, including characters and enemies. This is a spin-off for both games, not a crossover.

Upon a day or so of reflection, I must say that my opinion has moved from, "This is an acceptable stop-gap between main games," much more toward, "This was not the good news I had hoped for. CD Projekt or From Software could have made a much better Zelda spin-off." I live in hope that Tecmo will not deliver a shallow, buggy experience lacking that Zelda shine, but I worry that this is could even be compared to the awful CD-I games.

• Thumbs Up 1

CD Projekt and From Software also don't do spin offs, or tie ins whatsoever so that's a completely unrealistic expectation.

Musou tie ins happen all the time so this has some precedent, I think it's a little unfair to put the game down because it's not Zelda dark souls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know how protective Nintendo are when it comes to their properties nowadays right? I don't think they'd "allow" this to be mediocre or bad.

I mean look at Pokémon Conquest, it got a surprising amount of acclaim considering it came from a relatively unheard of Tecmo series. Honestly I think Nintendo have more involvement in development than "standing and watching them make it", I do think there will be more quality assurance going into this than the standard Tecmo game.

Personally my hopes aren't that high, but I also have a feeling that Nintendo wouldn't have agreed to a spinoff crossover like this if they expected usual-Warriors-level quality. I also kinda expect visuals to get better towards release like a lot of Nintendo games seem to be doing lately.

• Thumbs Up 1