Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

I haven't played any Warriors games before, what should come to expect from the single player content in this game if using other Warriors games as a base?

There's like... a billion characters in this game.

If you really despise a certain character, you never have to play as them. Play as Groose.

Fixed for you.

Re: The anime thing: It's not so black and white as a game being anime or not. Obvious traces of traditional Japanese storytelling has been present from Ocarina onwards, but that doesn't necessarily make those games anime any more than The Hidden Fortress is anime. It's hard to call Majora, for instance, something borne of the general anime mould. Generic shonen elements have been cropping over time, I suppose, with Skyward Sword in particular having the most identifiable archetypes from that genre. They seem to pop up more often when Nintendo employs a more straightforward narrative, or at least from what I can tell. In any case, it's rather a disservice to the narratives of those games to reduce them to only being anime. There's more under the hood of eastern storytelling tradition than the Dragon Ball Z clone.

As to whether or not being anime is a good thing for a game, if what we mean by anime is borrowing elements from the shonen genre, I'm going to have to side with "no," just as I cringe when Zelda takes on more generic western fantasy elements. It's primarily a sign of lazy storytelling to just take from the common character or story cliches of the day and make no attempt to separate them from the pack; Lana and Central Intelligence Agency are character I've seen in hundreds of other games and shows. Whether or not you like the archetypes they came from, that lack of distinctness is inherently detrimental to the characters themselves, barring some insane plot twist from the minds behind Dynasty Warriors. It's not like I was planning on playing this game for the plot anyways, but the thing is still a bit of a wasted opportunity. 

...I have no idea how on topic that was but I just felt like ranting to no one in particular about things no one cares about ._.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, anyway, a popular theory going around at the moment is that Zelda is using the Wind Waker in that preview.

Obviously we won't know for sure until we get decent scans.  Incidentally, does anyone know off hand what day of the week Famitsu usually goes out?  I've forgotten.

Yeah, I heard that, its sounds quite cool if she can use the Wind Waker and it wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact, if she CAN use it, I'd be surprised if she didn't have a Tetra alternate costume (obviously a more realistically-proportioned Tetra).

You'd think that Daphnes would use the Wind Waker.

'Cause, you know, he's the one who gives it to you.

Also seems odd that the main musical instrument would be a regular item instead of a character-specific one.

...How will Fi use it?

*Snip*

Just going from SuperLink's SS Link, I found the most anime shit ever.

http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/ZSS/ZSS_Link_Hurt_Magma.wav

Don't tell me that's not a noise Japanese media uses for being burned. Zelda has always been extremely Japanese when it comes to voice acting, so I don't really know where this complaint is suddenly coming from.

Edit: A Link Between Worlds wasn't free from it either, especially with Yuga.

Edit: Original put Jez instead of Super Link. Goddamnit, I was tired when I typed this, wasn't I?

• Thumbs Up 2

You'd think that Daphnes would use the Wind Waker.

'Cause, you know, he's the one who gives it to you.

Also seems odd that the main musical instrument would be a regular item instead of a character-specific one.

...How will Fi use it?

Could hint that Daphnes isn't playable. Or he'll just use something else. I still think Daphnes and Medli are the best WW picks. Daphnes would fit right in, and Medli would need a few tweaks to work.

EDIT: For all we know, Daphnes will be Zelda's father and the king in this game. We don't know if characters will be exclusive to a set of weapons or if multiple characters can use some of the same weapons, either.

Could hint that Daphnes isn't playable. Or he'll just use something else. I still think Daphnes and Medli are the best WW picks. Daphnes would fit right in, and Medli would need a few tweaks to work.

EDIT: For all we know, Daphnes will be Zelda's father and the king in this game. We don't know if characters will be exclusive to a set of weapons or if multiple characters can use some of the same weapons, either.

Considering the whole thing about Zelda basically being queen(even though she's still officially referred to as princess), I get the feeling that the king might not be in the picture for this game.

Anything Wind Waker is welcome in my book. Toon Link would be a hilarious character.

Considering the whole thing about Zelda basically being queen(even though she's still officially referred to as princess), I get the feeling that the king might not be in the picture for this game.

Just commenting, he could be in as a former King. I know its quite unlikely at this point, though, and honestly, Daphnes is probably the best pick from Wind Waker. If he's not playable I'm not sure there will be any playable WW characters. A close second would be Medli I think.

I think Tetra has a pretty decent shot as well. Toon Link is a possibility, though not very likely, and I'm still personally holding out for Toon Ganondorf despite his chances being near enough zero.

I'm starting to think that Beedle's reasonably likely. He was already untooned for Skyward Sword and there are a million things they could do with his moveset. Plus he'd put every other character's voice acting into perspective. OHHHH! THANK YOU!

On the much less likely end of things, it'd be neat to see Oshus from Phantom Hourglass with some Wind Fish references tossed in. Or maybe Marin using the Instruments of the Sirens? Or the Nightmare(s) as a boss? Or literally anything else from Link's Awakening? Madam MeowMeow with a chain chomp?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Tetra has a pretty decent shot as well. Toon Link is a possibility, though not very likely, and I'm still personally holding out for Toon Ganondorf despite his chances being near enough zero.

Honestly I think Tetra is more likely as an alt of Zelda (basically the hair, outfit, and overall design, but updated to a more realistic body proportion and older, naturally). Toon Ganondorf, as well, except, again, un-tooned. Basically, Ganondorf's overall design, perhaps with the more overall rounded body shape, but in a more realistic proportion.

I'm starting to think that Beedle's reasonably likely. He was already untooned for Skyward Sword and there are a million things they could do with his moveset. Plus he'd put every other character's voice acting into perspective. OHHHH! THANK YOU!

On the much less likely end of things, it'd be neat to see Oshus from Phantom Hourglass with some Wind Fish references tossed in. Or maybe Marin using the Instruments of the Sirens? Or the Nightmare(s) as a boss? Or literally anything else from Link's Awakening? Madam MeowMeow with a chain chomp?

If anything, Malon would use the Instruments as an alternate weapon. She's basically just Marin anyway.

Beedle? Yeah, I could see that, he's been in three games already anyway (he was also in Minish Cap).

RE: Hyrule Warriors being too anime

zeldaooo3.png

Maku_Tree_(Oracle_of_Ages).png

Veran.png

Capcom's still got the advantage there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Though, it would be awesome to bring in Onyx and Veran in 3D form. Also, as silly as the animal friends were, can you imagine riding a fucking Dodongo and tearing shit up? That would be amazing.

Edit: Also, I love the way Veran's 'cape' is attached to those elbow spikes like that. It gives off a unique and cool look to her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh don't get me wrong, the Oracles and Link's Awakening are what defined Zelda to me as a kid and they're great.

Just saying, Zelda's not as "weeaboo-safe" as people seem to think judging by this nontroversy :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Regarding the king from Wind Waker, if he isn't a playable character, I could see the King of Red Lions being a part of some ridiculous finishing move for Toon Link (assuming he's playable), in which the immediate area is flooded and Link rides around on the waves driving the boat into enemies.

So looks like Skyloft will be a area to play through? Visually it seems to be a more noticeable blend of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword 's art style. And agai, I really hope this doesn't just rely on recent Zelda entries as there is tons of potential for this game. 

(Also, as unlikely as it is I hope we either get Skull Kid playable or Clocktown as a stage. Again, I don't see either of those happening sadly.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Skull Kid is an important and popular character from a game that, though not as large or "important" as most other console Zelda games, remains one of the most popular and beloved Zelda games to date, something which Nintendo themselves have acknowledged multiple times. I'd say Skull Kid is one of the most likely candidates for a playable character. It would certainly be a lot less unexpected than Agitha, a minor character from Twilight Princess who you're perfectly capable of overlooking completely.

Skull Kid is an important and popular character from a game that, though not as large or "important" as most other console Zelda games, remains one of the most popular and beloved Zelda games to date, something which Nintendo themselves have acknowledged multiple times. I'd say Skull Kid is one of the most likely candidates for a playable character. It would certainly be a lot less unexpected than Agitha, a minor character from Twilight Princess who you're perfectly capable of overlooking completely.

Only reason I'm saying I don't see it happening is cause he's a villain(technically), and most people seem to be getting the idea that villains won't be playable, but bosses instead.

I've said before and I'll say again, but I have a worry that they'll just focus on Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess fanservice because they're more modern and therefore the assets would be easier to reuse or retool.

On the other hand, as much as it upsets me, I think characters from handheld Zeldas are really unlikely cause it would mean putting them in 3D for the first time and I dunno.. the idea is too good to be true, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up. As much as literally any character from the Oracle games would make me beyond hype.. it just doesn't feel like something they'll do.

From what we can tell Midna starts out as an antagonist in this game as well, though, and later turns to Link's side, at which point she becomes playable. I doubt they'd include the evil, mind-controlled Skull Kid and not have him join the good guys later, since that would be kind of depressing, if nothing else.

I see Demise still looks like a Muppet on a bad day, but at least he doesn't have his stupid arms

yet

• Thumbs Up 3