Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

Honestly, after getting Agatha of all characters and going across timelines, they might as well go crazy over picking other characters from different Zelda titles.

They'd probably take someone else from the Oracle games, just for obscurity's sake.

I don't feel like getting my hopes up for 2D Zelda rep. I get the feeling they're gonna do that thing where they pretend 3D Zeldas are the only ones that exist.

Agitha of all characters being chosen is going to make me even more annoyed when I see that there are no characters or areas from 2D Zeldas at all.

Personally I think we should have both, Gorons and Zoras appear in numerous games as is, they're central races. Zoras moreso since they've been around since the very first Legend of Zelda.

I think we'll get two Gerudo as well, but only because the main antagonist of the series is one and its only natural for Ganondorf to appear, really. Nabooru would represent the normal Gerudo.

I just don't think the Zoras (Or Gorons) offer enough to have two characters.

Gerudos, I could see if we count Ganondorf as one of the two.

They'd probably take someone else from the Oracle games, just for obscurity's sake.

I'd be happy with that. Veran would be great. So would Din or Nayru. And I'd love to see Holodrum or Labrynna re-imagined in HW's graphics.

Sadly I don't expect much from 2D games. I think the focus will mostly be on OOT/MM/TP/SS.

Wait, are people seriously complaining now about there being too many female characters? *headdesk*

So what we can gather from this is that when there aren't enough female characters in a game people complain, but they also complain when there's a lot of them. -__-

I've long accepted that people are either morons or bastards when it comes to dilemma's like this. Makes it less of a headache when I look at people that way, and brightens my day when I'm proven wrong.

Half the roster is females. Keep that in mind: HALF THE ROSTER IS FEMALES. There's TONS of male characters that haven't been announced yet. Just wait, they'll come around.

Over-half, actually. There were 9 slots on the E3 demo, and if we're going by that, there's only 2 left. I'm not exactly hopeful that there'll be another page worth of characters, because Link is getting a lot of alternate weapons that they had to make new movesets and animations for. There's never been anything quite like the Fire Rod or Ball & Chain in a Warriors game before so they don't even have anything to base them off of, either.

I won't be disappointed with the roster if it does end up with only 9 characters because I like most of the choices they made so far (Always wanted to play as Impa and Midna) and how different everyone's movesets are from each other, but I'm not expecting it to be super-sized at this point. The first edition of every Warriors game always has a smaller roster than the rest.

How are Groose and Darunia "less obvious," though? They're completely obvious. Groose is a fan favorite and one of only a handful of characters to have a major role throughout the entire game (although I can't stand him personally). Also, Darunia is by far the most notable major Goron in the entire series.

They're not obscure by any means no, but they certainly are less obvious than the main-character and hero Link and main-villain Ganon. When it comes to including those two in a cross-over game it's not even a decision. They're 2 of the 3 most important characters in the series, of course they'd be in the game!

I just don't think the Zoras (Or Gorons) offer enough to have two characters.

Gerudos, I could see if we count Ganondorf as one of the two.

I'd be happy with that. Veran would be great. So would Din or Nayru. And I'd love to see Holodrum or Labrynna re-imagined in HW's graphics.

Sadly I don't expect much from 2D games. I think the focus will mostly be on OOT/MM/TP/SS.

Frankly I'm not quite sure what two different Zoras could do separately, but they can split it down this way. Give Mikau a Guitar as one weapon and maybe a fin blade as another. For Ruto, one moveset would be a water-based magic moveset, and another would be using a Harp (based on Laruto).

For Gorons... yeah, I agree, I don't think there's enough to differentiate them. Darunia would probably use punches and rolls in his base moveset. That would fit in with Goron Link as well. For an alt, Megaton Hammer of course. Darbus has potential if he uses the chains from when he was turned into a monster, but I find it kinda doubtful. Another possibility is Bomb Flowers, with an entire bomb-based moveset. (Granted that'd eliminate that one explosive character from Twilight Princess, not that anyone really thinks much highly of him... can't even remember the guy's name.)

I don't see where you get this idea that there's "not enough" to differentiate between different Goron and Zora characters, though, when we've already got four playable Hylian characters, and most of the obvious picks are additional Hylian/human-like characters (even Kokiri are closer to Hylian, despite being children).

Over-half, actually. There were 9 slots on the E3 demo, and if we're going by that, there's only 2 left. I'm not exactly hopeful that there'll be another page worth of characters, because Link is getting a lot of alternate weapons that they had to make new movesets and animations for. There's never been anything quite like the Fire Rod or Ball & Chain in a Warriors game before so they don't even have anything to base them off of, either.

I won't be disappointed with the roster if it does end up with only 9 characters because I like most of the choices they made so far (Always wanted to play as Impa and Midna) and how different everyone's movesets are from each other, but I'm not expecting it to be super-sized at this point. The first edition of every Warriors game always has a smaller roster than the rest.

They're not obscure by any means no, but they certainly are less obvious than the main-character and hero Link and main-villain Ganon. When it comes to including those two in a cross-over game it's not even a decision. They're 2 of the 3 most important characters in the series, of course they'd be in the game!

The roster isn't going to be 9 characters. It'll probably be double that at minimum. They're already reusing tons of assets, that's what would allow them to add more characters for a first game.

EDIT: Besides, it WAS flat out confirmed half the roster is female.6/9 is two thirds of the roster.

There aren't going to only be 9 characters.  This is a Dynasty Warriors game.  Part of the draw of those games is that they have loads of playable characters.  Maybe there are 9 initial characters and a load more unlockable ones?

There aren't going to only be 9 characters.  This is a Dynasty Warriors game.  Part of the draw of those games is that they have loads of playable characters.  Maybe there are 9 initial characters and a load more unlockable ones?

You're forgetting that most Dynasty Warriors series' start off with a smaller cast. Look at the first of every Dynasty Warriors game series and tell me there's 50 characters per game.

That said, they're reusing so many assets in this game I could see it having a lot more than a typical "starter" spinoff Dynasty Warriors game. However, it won't have nearly as many as some of the extremely huge Dynasty Warriors games are concerned. Probably about 30 max for this one.

Personally I think "too many girls" is a horrible argument. They complained that Link was "weak" in comparison too. Evidently the male character is supposed to be the strongest of them all.

Also

gal_112.jpg

Gosh dang is Zelda pretty.

• Thumbs Up 2

The reason it's debatable is because the first instalments in the Pirate Warriors and Gundam Warriors games had way less characters than the usual Dynasty Warriors game. It's possibile that building a new sub-series with its own set of models and assets from scratch could consume most dev time and end up with a cast of ~15, or maybe less if other things are prioritised.

That said I'm now becoming more sure myself that there will be more than 9 characters, even if the max is only around 15.

The first title in a new Warriors-branch always have smaller rosters. For example, Pirate Warriors 1 only had 13 characters. Plus, Link seems to have a few alternate movesets with weapons like the Fire Rod and Ball & Chain. Not to mention that other characters might have alternate weapons too, and if they're along the lines of Link's, they'll be entirely different and require new animations.

The roster is already pretty great. I won't be disappointed with it. I'm just not getting my hopes too high for another page of 9-or-so characters.

Unless the Japanese website is misleading, I think we can safely say we've got more than 9 characters for sure. There's currently room for 12 characters without adding any new villains. We know Ganondorf is in, but the likelihood is that villains list will fill several more rows at this rate, and they probably won't reveal the whole roster before release as well.

EDIT:

Let's add some obvious suggestions and see where we get.

Males: Link

Females: Impa, Zelda, Midna, Lana, Agitha, Fi

No OOT characters yet and only one male, let's add a few males:

Males: Link, Darunia, Groose, Gaepora *, Mikau

Females: Impa, Zelda, Midna, Lana, Agitha, Fi

* Gaepora and Rauru are basically the same person. Its not officially confirmed, but Rauru is Kaepora Gaebora, and Gaepora is obviously named after and based on Kaepora Gaebora, and he looks very similar to Rauru as well.

Let's grab the adventurers as well:

Males: Link, Darunia, Groose, Gaepora, Mikau, Rusl, Auru, Shad

Females: Impa, Zelda, Midna, Lana, Agitha, Fi, Ashei

How about the remaining Sages (except Ruto, Mikau gets in instead of her) and Malon (extremely obvious, very recurring character)?

Males: Link, Darunia, Groose, Gaepora, Mikau, Rusl, Auru, Shad

Females: Impa, Zelda, Midna, Lana, Agitha, Fi, Ashei, Malon, Saria, Nabooru

And let's add a couple males to even things out:

Males: Link, Darunia, Groose, Gaepora, Mikau, Rusl, Auru, Shad, Kafei, Tingle

Females: Impa, Zelda, Midna, Lana, Agitha, Fi, Ashei, Malon, Saria, Nabooru

So, if we only take from the 3D more realistically designed Zelda's, that's what I'm speculating at this point. Its possible we could trim it down by cutting Nabooru, but if villains aren't playable (doubtful) we wouldn't have a playable Gerudo. I thought about adding Skull Kid, but he'd probably be a villain, so I added Tingle instead. Shad could potentially be skipped, but I had trouble thinking of good male characters from the non-WW 3D games.

I mean, there's some characters like Pippit or Beedle, and they could pull another "Agitha" on us, I'm just not exactly sure what to suspect, so I picked what would be more obvious suggestions.

As for villains, if we grab at least one per game:

Villains: Cia, Valga, Wizzro, Zant, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Ganondorf

I'd also add Vaati if there was any evidence to suggest we'd get 2D game representation. From OOT, Nabooru could potentially be represented as a villain, but it'd be unlikely, she never really was before. Twinrova maybe. I skipped bosses, though, and Twinrova is more obviously a boss. Other (unlikely) possibilities are Mido and Ingo, neither of which were really villains, but they kinda were antagonistic at first.

Basically, I'm just trying to concept what could possibly be a non-Ganondorf villain from OOT, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone else have any other ideas? And I'm not talking about large bosses (we already got King Dodongo obviously, and Twinrova could represent that, too). Yes, Valga and Cia are based on bosses/minibosses, but I think the general consensus is they're new characters based on previous bosses.

The first title in a new Warriors-branch always have smaller rosters. For example, Pirate Warriors 1 only had 13 characters. Plus, Link seems to have a few alternate movesets with weapons like the Fire Rod and Ball & Chain. Not to mention that other characters might have alternate weapons too, and if they're along the lines of Link's, they'll be entirely different and require new animations.

The roster is already pretty great. I won't be disappointed with it. I'm just not getting my hopes too high for another page of 9-or-so characters.

The fact that Agitha is a playable character pretty much confirms the fact that there are going to be more than 9 characters.  You don't start going into irrelevant side character territory when you have so few character slots to work with.  Even among irrelevant side characters she's super irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is relevant

10498640_10152126699561447_5635767077090

I doubt we'd only get 9 characters. Demoes have a thing where they'll show only a few character slots. Like the Brawl demo, for example.

That's... awesome. Although, technically Agitha isn't actually a knight of any sort. It seems that she got caught up in the battles and they allow her to tag along.

Anyway, I can easily see a number of different roles existing characters can fit into.

The Adventurers:

Except for Shad, all of them can easily be knights. Ashei could appear as the daughter of a knight captain, Rusl could be a knight captain and Link's mentor, and Auru an old retired captain of the knights. Shad would be a scholar working with the court obviously.

The Sages:

Darunia is still the Patriarch of the Gorons. Link has connections to fairies in this game again, so its incredibly possible his backstory is still tied to OOT, where he was once raised with the Kokiri but left when he got too old, so Saria would still be his childhood friend in this one (and perhaps she left the forest to find him). Nabooru, probably working as a lieutenant under Ganondorf but defects.

Mikau isn't a Sage, but he could stand in for Ruto. Perhaps he's the Hyrulean version of Mikau and is related or in a relationship with Ruto. (Or Ruto isn't involved at all, but kinda unlikely.)

Others:

Kafei is still from Termina, perhaps with a similar backstory. The time-space portal opens a rift to Termina as well. Groose obviously comes from the past through the time-space portal along with Gaepora. Malon has appeared in so many games there's no reason to "explain" her appearance, obviously she runs Lon Lon Ranch.

The fact that Agitha is a playable character pretty much confirms the fact that there are going to be more than 9 characters.  You don't start going into irrelevant side character territory when you have so few character slots to work with.  Even among irrelevant side characters she's super irrelevant.

Exactly. They've clearly got a big enough cast if they included Agitha.

Eh, I don't know. 9 playable characters is big for a series like Zelda where only Link's ever been playable. They have a lot of relevant characters in the game already, so they could've felt that just one irrelevant side-character wouldn't hurt amongst a cast of 8 super-stars.

Not trying to be a party-pooper or anything, I just personally don't want to set my expectations unrealistically high. I'm still looking forward to this game and all (I'm probably one of the very few fans of the overall DW series here), I'm just not expecting 15-20 characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I don't know. 9 playable characters is big for a series like Zelda where only Link's ever been playable. They have a lot of relevant characters in the game already, so they could've felt that just one irrelevant character wouldn't hurt in a cast of 8 other super-stars.

Not trying to be a party-pooper or anything, I just personally don't want to set my expectations unrealistically high. I'm still looking forward to this game and all (I'm probably one of the very few fans of the overall DW series here), I'm just not expecting 15-20 characters.

I'm trying not to get my expectations too high either, but I think you're SERIOUSLY selling it short. Look at how much assets they're reusing already. I think the amount of extra assets they're reusing from existing Zelda games helps to split the different. For the One Piece spinoffs, they had to make everything from scratch. In this they're able to draw on existing Zelda titles for a lot of content, which will save loads of extra development time right there.

I'm curious where this would fall on the budget scale compared to something like Pirate Warriors. Not that that data would actually mean anything to me or that it would necessarily reflect the size of the character roster in any way, but it'd be interesting to know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, just remembered, we got a female "crazy way-out-there" character. How about Guru-Guru? He can play his music box to summon cuccos to attack and make it storm. biggrin.png

EDIT: I was listening to this song when I came up with the idea:

My guess for Guru-Guru? Bremen Mask as one "weapon," and Music Box as another.

Tingle would be the perfect character to go along with Agitha. Agitha the creepy bug girl and Tingle the creepy fairy man... child... thing.

Tingle would be the perfect character to go along with Agitha. Agitha the creepy bug girl and Tingle the creepy fairy man... child... thing.

Well, except Tingle's really not that much of an "out there" character whose "unexpected." I was referring to an "unexpected" character. Tingle's a major recurring character, so that's why I didn't count him in that way. (Even though most people in the west hate him.)

Do people in the west REALLY actually LOATHE Tingle?  Coz I genuinely thought hating Tingle was just a big joke everyone was in on.  Like he's the weird character you just love to hate.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's what I always thought, too. He's fairly harmless outside of wanting too much money in Wind Waker.

I like him. He's funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been so long since Tingle was even in anything (unless you count Wind Waker HD, I guess) that I can't imagine any reasonable person in 2014 caring about his inclusion in a silly spin-off, even if they genuinely loathed him back in the day.

I mean, there are tons of characters I'd rather see, but that's because I like them better, not because I dislike Tingle particularly. I don't think I'd play as him much if he made it in, but I could appreciate a well-done Tingle moveset with a bunch of fun references.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who cares about Tingle?

Everyone knows the real star is David Jr.

David_Jr.png

Hey! What about Knuckle? He's awesome, and is actually more sane than Tingle. Well, besides the fact he still dresses like a weirdo. XP

200px-Knuckle.png