Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

CD Projekt and From Software also don't do spin offs, or tie ins whatsoever so that's a completely unrealistic expectation.

I wasn't saying that I expected it of them, merely that if I had to choose a company to entrust a Zelda spin-off to, it would be them. But as I said, I do live in hope that this game isn't just another Warriors game with a Zelda skin.

AWESOME! Looks more fun then the recent Zelda titles to be honest, I much prefer the hack and slash style and with the Zelda theme = awesome!

Definitely a better crossover idea than the stupid Yoshi level in Lost World.

You know how protective Nintendo are when it comes to their properties nowadays right? I don't think they'd "allow" this to be mediocre or bad.

I mean look at Pokémon Conquest, it got a surprising amount of acclaim considering it came from a relatively unheard of Tecmo series. Honestly I think Nintendo have more involvement in development than "standing and watching them make it", I do think there will be more quality assurance going into this than the standard Tecmo game.

Personally my hopes aren't that high, but I also have a feeling that Nintendo wouldn't have agreed to a spinoff crossover like this if they expected usual-Warriors-level quality. I also kinda expect visuals to get better towards release like a lot of Nintendo games seem to be doing lately.

Not a crossover, not a crossover, NOT A CROSSOVER.

A crossover implies two franchises being directly tied in together. The Sonic Lost World DLC IS a crossover because it adds Yoshi themes to a Sonic game, although its not a full-blown crossover as its just one stage. Smash Bros. is a full-blown crossover as it includes elements from a variety of franchises in one game.

Hyrule Warriors (tentatively titled) is a Legend of Zelda game spinoff that also acts as a spinoff of Dynasty Warriors by using the basic gameplay style and format of the Dynasty Warriors games. It would only be a crossover if Dynasty Warriors characters and stages appeared in the game (and that could potentially happen, but if it did, at this point it'd probably only be a guest character/stage or two, not a true full-blown crossover).

SMT x Fire Emblem implies that its a true full-blown crossover as well. I would not consider games that consider guest elements appearing from another franchise to be a full crossover; it has one crossover element, but its more of a guest addition rather than a true crossover event.

I will admit From Software would have been a better pick, but I'll be damned if I didn't have fun watching that trailer. I'm pretty excited to see how good it is in the end - if it doesn't disappoint I'll most certainly pick it up.

I do hope that this means the next big Zelda might take some cues from the combat here in terms of comboing and weapon use, and also that Nintendo will be more willing to outsource in the future. Platinum-developed Star Fox, please.

• Thumbs Up 3

but I worry that this is could even be compared to the awful CD-I games.

I'd hold out on that until we get footage actually near the game's release. This looks, by all means, to be a very, very early build of the game. I'm saving my torch and pitchfork for at least 2014.

What a surprising announcement, a Zelda hack and slash game by the Dynasty Warrior people. I think it will turn out great, with the combat in the trailer looking really fun and having some Zelda stables (Z-Targeting lock on, Link progressively getting more health via hearts, classic Zelda items useable, ect). However, I hope this isn't just Dynasty Warriors in a Zelda skin; Nintendo is involved with this and unlike Metorid, Zelda is a big seller to people, so some light puzzle solving or more complex combat and other stuff (leveling up Links items, many different Zelda characters playable, deep combo system, and some exploration) would go a long to make this great game.

Either way, this is a sign that Nintendo is willing to work with developers and in a way, this a great way to get 3rd parties on board the Wii U; Nintendo lisening one of their IP's to a 3rd party developer/publisher and let them have their own twist to the series, insuring sales off the name alone and giving their IP's new life :).

I do hope that this means the next big Zelda might take some cues from the combat here in terms of comboing and weapon use, and also that Nintendo will be more willing to outsource in the future. Platinum-developed Star Fox, please.

Next we'll have SEGA develop the next Mario game.

Nothing could go wrong! tongue.png

Since the Direct was titles up until Spring, is this a guarantee Spring release? Maybe in Japan at least?

NO! I will hunt you down. >.<

...If anything, Nintendo would have the Rayman team work on Mario than Sega. Sonic is awesome of course, notibly his more recent adventures, but I really don't trust Sonic Team with 3d Mario; they have a hard enough time making Sonic great (they do have a better idea of how to make great level design, as Colors, parts of Generations and Lost World show).

Still, I could see their version of Mario being quite good; an awesome soundtrack (as the Mario and Sonic games prove), the game being very fast (giving Mario a new suit that gives him different speed levels ala Lost Worlds run button), and having some of the Wii U's best visuals (just look at Unleashed, Generations and Lost World for example, the look amazing!). If the guys behind Galaxy and 3d World help them out with this hypothetical project...we could be into some amazing game :).

they already did

sonic_lost_world_characters.jpg

Very funny happy.png

Lost World does have parts that do look ALOT like Mario Galaxy (noticeably Tropical Coast) but it still has that Sonic feel to it. If anything, Sonic Colors feels more like a Mario game; great level design, but the game is almost 60% 2D, the platforming could get blocky sometimes and had a distinct lack of speed (though that is really more of the Wii's fault that the games, the Wii really can't handle the insane speeds of Unleashed, as shown with its port of said game feeling so watered down).

I wouldn't think this new zelda game would be as bad as those CD-I games at all. Yes, the visuals may in the end not be the wonderful spectacular graphics you may want, but these warriors games are all about the gameplay, not the graphics, unless it is a cutscene. Never focus on the graphics in these games unless you are watching a cutscene. This company is all about the gameplay and story, which makes them a good company in my eyes. Heck, I've bought a lot of Koei stuff over time now and they have all been pretty good to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know how protective Nintendo are when it comes to their properties nowadays right? I don't think they'd "allow" this to be mediocre or bad.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time...

Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, it wouldn't be the first time...

Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg

Sakamoto was at fault for that so blame the guy who oversees most of the Metroid games, not Team Ninja.

Sakamoto was at fault for that so blame the guy who oversees most of the Metroid games, not Team Ninja.

Uh... I was blaming Sakamoto. That was the point. =V

Yeah, that game was Sakamoto's fault, but I don't think Nintendo could've seen the end result coming - his previous titles were pretty good (and even reasonably written, in the case of Fusion), and I don't think they predicted him being a sexist douchebag who also turns out to be a bad writer when given the reins of a cutscene-heavy game (the fact that it was cutscene-heavy to begin with was a big issue in and of itself, mind you).

If the guy makes another Metroid game, hopefully Nintendo will have someone (like another writer/editor/designer) on the team to rein in his worse design/writing issues, at least.

Other M wasn't really bad gameplay wise. Sure, odd controller decisions and linearity aside, the game played really well. It's just the story that was utter garbage.

Sure, odd controller decisions and linearity aside, the game played really well.

I would consider those to be some pretty fuckin' huge issues, though.

I would consider those to be some pretty fuckin' huge issues, though.

Dpad didn't utterly break the game control wise, the game was still controllable in a way that wasn't utterly awful. And the linearity was unfortunate but not game breaking; last I checked Fusion was linear as well.

Metroid: Other M... oh boy, how will I forget what you've done? *shakes head*

They attempted to make a 2D Metroid while blending some of the Prime series, and sometimes such a blend works well in some areas, but in others felt a bit chaotic to me, especially when dealing with boss fights. The game was quite linear to me and even unrewarding at times. Gameplay-wise left me a little mixed overall. But when a mixed gameplay is crossed with an insulting presentation, story and character portrayal (mainly Samus' and Adam's), it ends up being an experience that any Metroid fan never ever forgets, and not precisely for the best. Yoshio Sakamoto carried Gunpei Yokoi's legacy of this franchise to a very good term until this game, and it feels shockingly insulting when the same man just tears it apart. Team Ninja may not have carried the gameplay to top notch quality, but all the mess ultimately goes to Sakamoto as he directed, produced and wrote this clusterfuck.

I could talk about how much I hate this game, but I am gonna stay on-topic anyway (unless someone wants to add something else to the conversation).

Nevertheless, I do agree on how Nintendo should approach Japanese external developers with collaborations. They have done this in recent years and I applaud such ideas not only to enhance their relationship (again, mainly with Japanese developers), but also because they can guarantee a good stream of exclusive games for their systems while their main internal teams focus on other projects. As long as the men supervising the projects are those who have been carrying their franchises to good terms (in this case, Eiji Aonuma), they will be alright to me. And if Hyrule Warriors ends up being a fun game, I may pick it up while I am patiently waiting for the real deal: their next main Zelda game. =)

Dpad didn't utterly break the game control wise, the game was still controllable in a way that wasn't utterly awful. And the linearity was unfortunate but not game breaking; last I checked Fusion was linear as well.

The D-Pad was fine given how the environment was structured, but the way missiles were implemented, making you suddenly stop in your tracks and switching perspectives, was more flow-breaking than the hoover dam.

Metroid: Other M... oh boy, how will I forget what you've done? *shakes head*

They attempted to make a 2D Metroid while blending some of the Prime series, and sometimes such a blend works well in some areas, but in others felt a bit chaotic to me, especially when dealing with boss fights. The game was quite linear to me and even unrewarding at times. Gameplay-wise left me a little mixed overall. But when a mixed gameplay is crossed with an insulting presentation, story and character portrayal (mainly Samus' and Adam's), it ends up being an experience that any Metroid fan never ever forgets, and not precisely for the best. Yoshio Sakamoto carried Gunpei Yokoi's legacy of this franchise to a very good term until this game, and it feels shockingly insulting when the same man just tears it apart. Team Ninja may not have carried the gameplay to top notch quality, but all the mess ultimately goes to Sakamoto as he directed, produced and wrote this clusterfuck.

I could talk about how much I hate this game, but I am gonna stay on-topic anyway (unless someone wants to add something else to the conversation).

Oh hey I thought this was the Hyrule Warriors thread, not another, "Let's remind everyone what a piece of shit Other M was"thread.

Can we just you know, discuss OTHER Nintendo franchises without fucking bringing up Other M in every Nintendo related thread? It's honestly getting boring now.

back on topic, This looks alright, I don't see what's so amazing about it though, it's just a Zelda themed Dynasty Warrior's game, which looks clunky as fuck like all the previous games.

This better not play like Ninety nine nights, because that game was awful. This looks fun as a mindless hack n' slash game, but I'd rather they keep it out of the mainstream Zelda. I also don't get your complaints about Link not being agile in previous games..? Pretty sure you can side jump/roll, back-flip to your heart's content :l

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hey I thought this was the Hyrule Warriors thread, not another, "Let's remind everyone what a piece of shit Other M was"thread.

Can we just you know, discuss OTHER Nintendo franchises without fucking bringing up Other M in every Nintendo related thread? It's honestly getting boring now.

It was brought into this topic because of the fact that game was outsourced to an external developer just like Hyrule Warriors, but with the result of being a mess not by the development team (Team Ninja) but by the man who was in charge of the series (Sakamoto). I believe this might have raised some concerns with Hyrule Warriors as well, hence why Other M was brought up but as I stated before Aonuma seems to be more competent so I hope this game delivers well at the end.

I know there is quite a general consensus about how terrible Other M is, but all did was just give my quick opinion about it and then go back on-topic, plain and simple. o_o;

• Thumbs Up 2