Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

• 4 weeks later...

So the 3DS Demo for this game was released in Japan and... unless you have a new 3DS, it going to be a horrible time.

I guess I won't be getting this game then :V

I saw this coming a mile away, and frankly I'm shocked nobody else did - even from the original trailers you could tell they needed to abuse pop-in a lot just to make this work at all. Should've just stuck to WiiU DLC.

• Thumbs Up 2

A couple of comparison videos have been posted by TiLMENDOMiNATiON, showing the game running on OG 3DS and New 3DS. Second video also includes the Wii U original game and focuses more on enemy AI.

....yeah no. OG 3DS performance just runs like tripe in general. The game framerate makes the game look like it's running on a N64, and the enemies look like 2D/pre-rendered sprites rather than 3D models. The game's performance on the New 3DS footage isn't exactly miles ahead either, but it at least it looks like an adequate port job in comparison. I really wouldn't be surprised if this was supposed to be a New 3DS-exclusive title like Xenoblade, but some higher up executives intervened and stipulated that the game should play on the OG 3DS as well for the sake of sales.

That said, I'm honestly baffled that they even made a handheld port in the first place, especially since given how even the original Wii U game had some framerate problems here and there. Concerning both OG 3DS and New 3DS. the game's draw distance looks mediocre, the colors/detail are glaringly simplified, and there are some pretty obvious enemy/object pop-in (especially on the OG 3DS, New 3DS is a bit more subtle at least). They should had just made the new Legends content strictly as Wii U DLC, rather than locking it to what looks like an inferior handheld experience (crossbuy notwithstanding).

• Thumbs Up 6

Here's a relatively minor bit of news: In Legends, much like how Link and his younger self has Proxi to serve as his mouth, Toon Link has his little sis, Aryll, around to speak on his behalf. An alright use here, but if I can recall correctly, isn't Toon Link actually mildly gabby himself in Wind Waker, though?

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aryll-speaks-on-toon-links-behalf-in-hyrule-warriors-legends

They should've brought back the talking bird hat from Minish Cap to be Toon Link's translator, but they seem to be avoiding referencing any of the handheld games for some reason despite them having cool characters and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

They should've brought back the talking bird hat from Minish Cap to be Toon Link's translator, but they seem to be avoiding referencing any of the handheld games for some reason despite them having cool characters and stuff.

Um...canonically this is WW link though. That'd make no sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

What KHCast said. Honestly, I think they should've gone with Ceila, but Aryll isn't bad either.

Also, in Legend Mode there aren't any huge surprises at all. Linkle interacts with several of the main cast members of the original game (the only "new" characters she interacts with are Skull Kid and Twili Midna, and the former

Spoiler

only appears in one chapter

Her missions are spread out sporadically during the main story, most of them taking place just before that game's story events happen, and the final chapter of her story takes place

Spoiler

just after the final chapter of the main Legend Mode story.

There are no new bosses we don't know about. The final boss of the Wind Waker expansion is

Spoiler

Phantom Ganon.

Basically, the only disappointment so far is the lack of the Great Sea Map being unlocked with the characters on Wii U, but I suspect it'll be released later.

Also, the new Legends characters do drop new items in Legends. Skull Kid has new items, for example.

Holy shit, why did they even let this run on the original 3ds? I can deal with low frame animations on bokoblins, but the framerate chugs along regardless. It's good I have a new 3ds.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So with the latest direct we got fresh news. Hyrule warriors Legends is getting a season pass for 3DS, along with Medli from The Wind Waker as a DLC character. The season pass features all DLC packs, that includes a Ganondorf costume as a bonus. Medli will appear as the first DLC, and will be available for free on 3DS and also on Hyrule Warriors on Wii U. Season pass-owners will also get to have the new characters on the Wii U title.

CcqCG_JUsAEtBKE_thumb.jpg

So even more characters are coming! Come on Groose!

• Thumbs Up 1

We gotta be getting OOT and SS DLC packs now. We've got FOUR Wind Waker characters and Toon Ganondorf as a costume. We can definitely expect to see 5 playable characters in these DLC packs as well.

Since the artbook is now confirmed as a Gamestop preorder I may get Legends. But there's still time to make that decision. We have no idea what the Season Pass contains just yet. I definitely wasn't expecting a free character, especially Medli.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's inspiring how people keep on hoping for Groose despite about three separate rounds of disappointment now.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm super excited to see Hyrule Warriors Legends getting a brand new season pass of four DLC packs all to itself, hopefully with plenty of awesome new costumes and characters to play with. Medli is a pleasant surprise and I can't wait to see what they've got in store next.

Gave the demo a whirl on my New 3DS and I was seriously impressed with how well it runs and how faithful it is to the Wii U version. Took a little minute to adjust to the smaller screen and less comfortable handheld controls, but it's definitely the Hyrule Warriors I know and love. Roll on 24th March, I need me some Linkle!

So, i played the 3DS demo, and while i love the gameplay and don't mind the graphical downgrade, i have just one problem: the framerate seems to be atrocious, raging from 15 to 20 fps. I mean, it makes sense since there are a lot of models on the map at the same time, but stil.

4 hours ago, Chosen Undeadskaven said:

So, i played the 3DS demo, and while i love the gameplay and don't mind the graphical downgrade, i have just one problem: the framerate seems to be atrocious, raging from 15 to 20 fps. I mean, it makes sense since there are a lot of models on the map at the same time, but stil.

Did you play it on a normal 3DS? You can play it on normal 3DS, but it runs like crap as I've heard. It really should've been new 3DS exclusive tbh.

14 hours ago, FFWF said:

It's inspiring how people keep on hoping for Groose despite about three separate rounds of disappointment now.

I don't think he'll be skipped over this time for certain. They're running out of viable characters and so far haven't done a single 2D/handheld character at all. They've also gotten Adventure maps for 3 of the 3D games now, with two more yet to have them in-game, and now Wind Waker, which is new to Legends, has FOUR characters. It does make more sense to make Medli the first initial "free DLC" character than to through her into a pack for a different game.

We'll probably get packs for Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword. If we get a Skyward Sword one, Groose is guaranteed. Can't say the same about who I want, but at least she'd be extremely likely (the most likely picks for OOT would be Saria and Nabooru).

I don't know what they'd do with the final packs. One would probably just be similar to the Ganon Pack with a very small expansion, but the other would probably be game-based. It could either be Zelda Wii U or perhaps they'll finally adapt a 2D game (it'd probably be the Four Swords pack if they did a 2D title). Between Worlds is the other option.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, like GameXplain, I'm hoping that one of the new DLC characters is Link's Uncle from ALTTP riding the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening

CU1P0QSWcAAjwLo.png

Or if they do a Skyward Sword DLC pack, I can totally see them sticking a Loftwing in there as either a weapon for Link or a new character altogether. Just to troll everyone who wants Groose. Or maybe Demise would be a cool addition, either as playable or an alternate costume for Ganondorf.

I really wonder what Linkle's alternate costumes are going to look like now, thinking about it - and where they'll even be unlocked (I'm guessing through the Wind Waker Adventure map?). Seeing as she's brand new and has no prior references to be made, they could really go all out and give her some interesting new designs.

8 hours ago, KHCast said:

Wonder if Linebeck has a chance at being a DLC character.

Probably slim at best. If we get anyone from a non-main 3D console title, Vaati is undoubtedly the first pick.

Well apparently there are items from spirit tracks and phantom hourglass for Toon Link in HW, so who knows.

20 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well apparently there are items from spirit tracks and phantom hourglass for Toon Link in HW, so who knows.

So? The original game had things like this to. The Gauntlet has three levels: Silver Gauntlets, Gold Gauntlets, and Power Gloves. The Power Gloves use a Chain Chomp (from Link's Awakening) in place of a ball and chain. Gohma combines elements from his NES version and Queen Gohma from OOT.

Not a single playable character from a non-main 3D game has been added. No plot elements, eras, or mook enemies have been added from them at all, either. They did reference them in things like items, specific weapon tiers, Gohma, Phantom Ganon (he references both Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures), and Manhandla (exclusive to 2D games), but they've got a pretty distinct setup where the characters are all from specific eras, with each "era" representing a single game. Said games only include Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker, with every character not from the HW era all being directly based on one of these games.

Odds are, they're not going to just throw in a random 2D game to reference. They'll probably do a huge expansion which adds a bunch of them at once. The only exceptions I can see are Vaati because he appeared in three of them, and Twinrova because they also appeared in OOT/MM.

With the likelihood that we'll only get five characters from these DLC packs, and because they ARE DLC, they'll probably just go to where its easier to grab characters: the already existing 3D games.

I really do hope they settle this next week, though. They may potentially have a new Famitsu article explaining the basics of the DLC like they did with HWL. Just saying the name of the packs will be enough to tell us what we can expect in them. We should at least get SS and OOT Packs. That's probably 3 characters right there. One pack will probably just have a small mode expansion like the Ganon Pack. Then we'll probably have one new game. It could be Four Swords, but if these are spread out two months apart like before, one of the packs could be Zelda Wii U.

Heck, they might even make an Oracles pack and just use Twinrova as the represented character so thy can reuse assets to make her, but still reference a 2D game. We may not even get Vaati.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still see no reason why they can't add Linebeck. There hasn't been a outright rule stating "we only use characters from x, x, x". And Phantom hourglass is to Windwaker what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of time. It still takes places in that time period, so to me, it's fair game. It being a spinoff is irrelevant imo, since it still heavily ties with the lore of WW. People once upon a time were outright saying WW wouldn't be used in HW, and look. I'm willing to keep myself open to the idea. 

Also, Toon Link needs a spirit train costume. And Tingle needs his WW costume.

30 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I still see no reason why they can't add Linebeck. There hasn't been a outright rule stating "we only use characters from x, x, x". And Phantom hourglass is to Windwaker what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of time. It still takes places in that time period, so to me, it's fair game. It being a spinoff is irrelevant imo, since it still heavily ties with the lore of WW. People once upon a time were outright saying WW wouldn't be used in HW, and look. I'm willing to keep myself open to the idea. 

Also, Toon Link needs a spirit train costume. And Tingle needs his WW costume.

Of course there's no rule, I never said there was, and sure, they could add Linebeck.

My whole point is, based on their track record, they probably won't. Not yet anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Linebeck doesn't have a chance but Groose does? I'm just skimming so maybe I missed something but... Oh, is it because there are already a lot of WW characters?

Anyways more WW stuff! That's always good. While I do want Legends so I can transfer the characters to the Wii U version... I really am not looking forward to leveling them all up. The Rupee glitch is helpful when it actually works but... Ech.

I'm still excited to see what else we get in the Season Pass. like sonic Any chance of Link getting a Zelda U costume for marketing? The blue one that look like Toon Link's pajamas?