Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

To Toth surprise of no one. Would've been nice if we at least got her or Linkle ' s weapon, but I didn't expect an announcement now anyway. That's some damn good concept art, though. I'm probably looking forward to her now than every other legends character.

This just brings it back to me that it's kind of weird how Malon started off as a Zelda reference but then became an independent recurring character in her own right.

Marin is looking sweet, can't wait for the Link's Awakening DLC pack now! Can't say this game doesn't have decent female representation, I swear they may as well just rename it "Link and his Babes" at this point... heck, the whole dang story is about someone fancying Link and getting jealous because he always ends up with Zelda :lol: 

Anyway, been playing through Legends over the last couple of days, just beat the final "main" battle with Ganon (trying to plough through the story mode to get to the new content). The extra Linkle missions so far have been really cool, she's one of my favourite characters for sure, and I'm looking forward to trying out the Wind Waker stuff after beating Cia's side quests. Slightly dreading having to go through all of the Adventure mode again, but replaying things so far has reminded me just how addictive the gameplay is, so I'm sure it won't feel like too much of a chore.

Verdict: game is good!

So,  how well does this game run on the 3ds systems respectively. Are the cutscenes from the Wii U version kept; was anything cut from the console version? 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon:AceFiddlePlayer said:

So,  how well does this game run on the 3ds systems respectively. Are the cutscenes from the Wii U version kept; was anything cut from the console version? 

I've only played it on a New 3DS but it runs perfectly fine, no noticeable framedrops or slowdown. Some amount of enemy pop in, but that's probably to be expected when there's so many characters on screen, and I'm sure even the Wii U version had this problem to some extent. From what I've seen of regular 3DS gameplay footage though, there's significant issues and I wouldn't recommend it from that brief glimpse alone.

Graphically there's obviously been a downgrade but it's all serviceable enough considering how much is going on at any given moment. The cutscenes are all intact, just in a lower resolution, and the character/boss entrance and victory animations are retained as well. The only obvious thing missing from the console version is the flashy finishing moves when you take down a boss' weak point gauge - you just get a big magical explosion now instead of Link stabbing King Dodongo in the head or whatever.

All in all, it's a pretty faithful port, which is quite impressive when you take into account how much the Wii U version had. Definitely doesn't feel like a lesser version, despite the weaker graphics.

Finally made it to the Wind Waker stages in Legend mode now I will update with my thoughts on the new content in due course!

EDIT: At a Hyrule Warriors Legends panel the developers revealed a cut level which saw Linkle meeting Tingle:

CehJYWjWEAAGP9O.jpg

A shame it didn't make the final game as I can imagine these two interacting being a lot of fun... but hey, Linkle was originally cut from Hyrule Warriors and fan demand got her into Legends, maybe if there's enough cry for it they can add this level in via DLC or an update later on too!

Apparently there was a bit more to the artwork of Marin at the panel. It included the Sea Lily's Bell:
MN9Mahb.jpg

Maybe her moveset will be based around the 8 Instruments of the Sirens?

• Thumbs Up 2

The costumes have been revealed for the Wind Waker Map:

j1zhuSC.jpg

Link - Daphnes

B6kMi6e.jpg

Toon Link - Niko (probably my favorite one of the bunch)

ECL8Xle.jpg

Lana - Aryll

Fsyjw4g.jpg

Darunia - Deku Tree

Also there's a screenshot of Medli

i9fRZJM.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

M'kay, so I just beat the Saga of the Great Sea or whatever it was and damn that was much better than I expected. When I heard there were going to be Wind Waker stages at the end of Legend mode I just assumed they'd be like the OoT/TP/SS ones but pointlessly tagged on after the main story... I'm pleased to say I was wrong!

While it's not strictly a necessary addition, it does genuinely continue the main Hyrule Warriors story beyond that of the final Ganon battle and provides some nice closure. For those who want to know roughly what happens, spoilers below:

A while after the Ganon battle, a new dimensional portal suddenly opens up and a dark force steals the Triforce of Power from Lana at the Valley of Seers. Link goes off to check out what's going on and meets Tetra at the Forsaken Fortress, who eventually gets kidnapped by the Helmorac King. The bird drops her in Gerudo Desert, where Lana is searching for ways to bring Cia back after "vanishing" in the earlier climactic battle. Link, who has given chase, catches up and together they all defeat the Helmorac King. Later, King Daphnes appears and tells them about Phantom Ganon, the new baddie who has caused all this trouble and is draining what little is left of Cia's power. At the Temple of Souls, the gang manages to rescue Cia from the darkness, but to save her they must defeat Phantom Ganon in the Wind and Earth Temples. After one last fight, the phantom falls, Hyrule is restored to normal, Cia is fully revived and redeems herself by going off with Lana to the Valley of Seers, where they both watch over the Triforce just like the original guardian did before they were divided. Cue the rocking end credits!

The final stage in particular is really cool, it properly makes use of the new multi-warrior mechanic in each level by forcing you to switch between your party in order to progress, before ultimately coming together for the last confrontation and bringing the enemy down with the real super power of teamwork.

Onto the Adventure mode now... daunting as ever, but I'm glad to see that most of the characters are unlocked on the first map, which should make things a little bit faster to get through. Hopefully I'll be able to try out My Fairy mode too after finding one in the missions, I can't believe I've already sunk over 10 hours into the game and have yet to even gain access to some of the basic game modes :lol:

isn't Phantom Ganon usually under the control of regular Ganon? Him being the big baddy of that arc without any direction from a higher up comes off a bit...anticlimactic. Like, would have been interesting if Ganondorf had found a way to resurrect himself using this alternate timeline, and was able to somehow manipulate this version of the phantom to help him, only to fail of course. That at least would make PG being the main baddy a bit more believable to me.

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

isn't Phantom Ganon usually under the control of regular Ganon? Him being the big baddy of that arc without any direction from a higher up comes off a bit...anticlimactic. Like, would have been interesting if Ganondorf had found a way to resurrect himself using this alternate timeline, and was able to somehow manipulate this version of the phantom to help him, only to fail of course. That at least would make PG being the main baddy a bit more believable to me.

Admittedly it does come off as bit weird, but Phantom Ganon is friggin' massive in the final fight so he's at least an intimidating boss. I guess it would be overkill to have Ganondorf come back again because he's already done the resurrection act twice in the original story and he's only just been toppled. Toon Ganondorf might have been a nicer twist, but oh well, at least Phantom Ganon is a bit different. He's basically just an antagonist for the sake of having a Wind Waker antagonist in order to shoehorn in the new stages, but I do appreciate Cia's redemption that they worked into the story. I thought it honestly was just going to be four levels of Wind Waker fanservice, which it really isn't.

In fact, if there's one criticism I have of Hyrule Warriors' story, it's that it has so many potential end points. After the Cia battle, after the Ganon battle, after Linkle's tale, and after the Saga of the Great Sea. They all end pretty much the same way, with celebrations and smiles and Hyrule saved. And then it gets attacked again five minutes later by someone else. The downside of adding new content post-release, I guess.

Well at least if Majora's Mask was ever gonna get an arc, it wouldn't be any more shoehorned lol. I mean Skull Kid did jack in Linkles arc from what I've seen.

26 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

Well at least if Majora's Mask was ever gonna get an arc, it wouldn't be any more shoehorned lol. I mean Skull Kid did jack in Linkles arc from what I've seen.

Yeah, Skull Kid literally only appears in one stage - he ambushes Linkle in the forest, steals her compass, gets his ass whooped, and then runs off.

Is the Legends worth it to get on the 3DS? Like I can get used to the choppy framerate and graphics but considering I have Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, is it worth double dipping or should I wait until they have the Legends stuff as DLC for the Wii U version?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, I'm Dan said:

Is the Legends worth it to get on the 3DS? Like I can get used to the choppy framerate and graphics but considering I have Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, is it worth double dipping or should I wait until they have the Legends stuff as DLC for the Wii U version?

I'm double dipping, but I have new 3DS. I've heard mixed reactions. Some say its acceptable on O3DS, others say stay the hell away from Legends if you only have an O3DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, I'm Dan said:

It's difficult to say, really. If you only have a regular 3DS I'd advise watching some gameplay footage first to get an idea of how choppy the framerate can be and if you can tolerate it for the hours upon hours that Hyrule Warriors demands. If you have a New 3DS though I'd say jump right in, it's really smooth and having the ZL/ZR buttons make it easier to lock on and use Focus Spirit, which are otherwise relegated to d-pad directions. 

Aside from that, you're basically paying for the exact same game as before, but with worse graphics and a bit more content. Legends technically is the definitive version of the game, but you have to plough through the entirety of the original modes to unlock most of the new content (Linkle's Tale unfolds alongside the main story, but you don't get to the Wind Waker stuff until after the final battle, and even then it's only 4 missions). You also need to beat the first Adventure map before you can access any of the newer ones - again, it's been beefed up with more unlockable characters and items as you go along, but to truly experience anything new you've got to make a big investment. It's several hours before it starts to deviate away from the first game.

In short: if you're a die-hard Hyrule Warriors fan who doesn't mind playing the game the whole way through again, go for it, because the new content will be a nice reward for repeating your efforts. And if you've got a New 3DS, it's pretty much a solid, expanded port. If not though, I'd say wait and just buy the characters as DLC for the Wii U. You'll miss out on the new Legend mode stages and Adventure maps, but you'll get something at least.

Not sure if it's in the US, but there's a demo of the 3DS version in at least Europe, so you could try that out, too,.

So, I have a question, please :)

I've recently bought the Wii U version of the game. Is there/will there be a way to have access to the additional characters from the 3DS version without having to buy that version ? Like a future DLC ?

As Marcello says, the Wii U packs/pass will be available this summer.  Buying the 3DS game gets you the characters from Legends early, but the other Wii U DLC packs release later for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Adamis said:

So, I have a question, please :)

I've recently bought the Wii U version of the game. Is there/will there be a way to have access to the additional characters from the 3DS version without having to buy that version ? Like a future DLC ?

Like the others have said, the new Legends characters and the upcoming DLC characters will be available in the Wii U version, however if you want to play the new story missions and Adventure mode maps they're exclusive to the 3DS version.

• Thumbs Up 1

After trying out Skull Kid on Wii U... I really, REALLY like him. Kinda meh on Linkle so far. She's alright, I guess.

In Linkle's Story chapter in Lake Hylia I just played as Ruto the whole time.

I haven't beat any path but OOT yet, and right now I'm trying to clear out the available parts of the Adventure Map. I got Ruto, and I'm working on getting Skull Kid. Darunia is still my fav.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else has come across this, but I picked up the Hyrule Warriors Legends Collector's Edition guide today (couldn't resist!) and towards the back there's some behind the scenes stuff and summaries of the Legend mode stories. Accompanying the synopsis for Linkle's Tale is this amazing piece of artwork which I've never ever seen before (picture taken on my phone):

20160415_164607-1_zps0qfk3grx.jpg

<3

I really hope Nintendo releases this officially at some point, I'd love to have it in legit high quality

• Thumbs Up 1