Awoo.

Uganda - "Kill Gays Bill" Passes - President Expected to Sign

Autosaver

As of today, the Ugandan Parliament has passed the draconian "Anti-Homosexuality Bill" ("Kill the Gays" Bill).

The internet is alight with numerous articles and links spreading this unexpected and shocking maneuver.  The bill has, reportedly been revised to remove the death penalty punitive option, but allows life imprisonment to remain on the table.

According to one source, part of the jubilation of the people, is that they never received the text of the bill in any of their native languages.  There are many groups, each with their own key languages.  The bill was provided only in English.  A language of which they have little to no mastery.  The text of the bill can be found here.

Further, due to international attention and pressure, the original "Kill the Gays Bill" was suddenly taken from view and subversively attached to a less prominent, attention getting bill.

[WARNING] Pictures of violence shown below at source

http://ugandaupdates.weebly.com/1/post/2013/12/kill-gays-bill-passes-sig-of-president-expected-within-30-days.html

Edit: Oops, posted too early.

What's worse is when questioned why they were more concerned with gays than the problem with rape, the answer was

“Ah, But it is the RIGHT kind of child rape. It is men raping girls and that is natural.”

WTF?!?!? Uganada...

I honestly don't understand why people are so concerned with the life style of others. People don't /choose/ to be gay, they just are. Homosexuality is present in all various parts of the animal kingdom. It's not going to go away and killing people who are gay is not going to solve anything. It's a sad day when resources that could be going to resolving other problems like rape are going to ending homosexuality (never gonna happen, the human race doesn't work like that).

Are we still in the dark ages over there? :(

Gonna sound particularly uncaring here, but if you live in Uganda (emphasis mine) and you're gay this probably isn't going to make any difference from how you were being treated anyway.

• Thumbs Up 7

Apparently American Evangelists have been supporting and pouring money to help the money get passed.

Yes, that's right - people OUTSIDE Uganda that live in a country like America trying to help this get passed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world/africa/04uganda.html?_r=0

http://www.examiner.com/article/uganda-anti-gay-bill-supported-by-us-congressmen-and-evangelists

The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

It is times like this that I wish you could just slit the throats of these kinds of people instead of constantly having to drag them kicking and screaming into a brighter and less prejudiced future. Would make things a hell of a lot easier.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the fact that Americans had a direct hand in this is more disappointing than a sub-Saharan African country criminalizing homosexuality. Even more infuriating in that subject was this story, specifically this quote:

“I spoke to help people,” he said, “and I’m getting bludgeoned from one end to the other.”

I'm sorry you're being criticized on television for having a hand in stoking the homophobic flames that led to the direct death of a man. Here's some tea and cookies, you precious soul.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love the Christians who think they're delivering the Word of God by being terrible, hateful people who don't "love thy neighbor" or show love and compassion. /sarcasm

Pah, what an utterly backwards society.

I am seething at the thought that there are Americans (American ministers, no less) pouring money into this kind of barbaric and draconian practice. These people and their donors are utter monsters, and I am beyond ashamed and disappointed.

It just sickens me that these sacks of shit are the same race as me. So raping little girls is fine but kissing another dude is punishable by death?! There are just no words to express my disgust.

• Thumbs Up 2

“Ah, But it is the RIGHT kind of child rape. It is men raping girls and that is natural.”

This man is implying that child rape is okay, so long as the victim is female and the suspect is male. Someone flush this guy down the toilet because he's full of shit. Seeing this topic made me sick to my stomach.
  • Thumbs Up 2

If these people care so much about what is "natural," I assume that they only wear clothes made out of plants and animal hide, only use weapons they find in the wilderness (sticks, rocks etc) and don't watch TV or live in buildings not made from mud or plants.

Well, what's natural or not is pretty irrelevant to what's moral anyway, so it's a ridiculous starting point for anyone making a moral argument about homosexuality. Even if it were a choice, it's still batshit insane to be criminalizing something that has yet to prove itself a societal bane in any capacity. So anyone's protests about it in that regard are not worth considering.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, at least one thing is for certain: If God really does exist, he's probably going to give them a one way ticket to Hell unless they somehow realize their error before it is too late. There is no amount of justification that can make condemning people with differences they have absolutely no control over (race, sex, sexual orientation, and disabilities) right in any scenario. Condemn a person for choosing to commit a horrible crime like murder, rape (oh, I guess that is another strike against them, so they're going even further down in Hell to...whatever is lower), or something like that, but no one can in good conscience condemn another person for having something they cannot control AND doesn't even harm the prejudiced people in any way shape or form without not having a conscience in the first place, being a mindless sheep, being a total hypocrite who uses their religion, goals, or beliefs as a shield against criticism, or just being a total asshole.

On a more positive note, it is still nice to see that for every evil shmuck (and the shmuck brigades) that exists, there are also good people who realize how fucked up this is and will fight to stamp these destructive beliefs out of existence, as well as give the love, respect and acceptance the victimized need.

Given the common laws if logic, no person in any position of power should even be considering a bill that has the word "kill" in it.

I'd love for all the folks who are backing this financially to be slapped with an accomplice to murder/cruelty charge. That is no better than purposely and knowingly buying conflict diamonds.

It's just disgusting that Christians can back this shit. Whatever happened to "love thy neighbor as you love yourself?" Jesus was anti-violence and anti-war, but that seems to get conveniently glossed over in a lot of places.

Religion is tainted when it enters politics. It becomes less about a means to find God and more as a way to justify forcing your morals and bigotry upon the wider population. That is exactly what is happening here - people are so homophobic they forget the whole "love the sinner" bit. Yes, the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, but nobody besides Jesus himself is without sin. That homosexuality gets singled out says a lot more about your own personal hatred than anything of God's will.

Shameful this passed. If nothing else I'm at least happy the death penalty provision was removed. That at least opens the possibility of someone more sane taking power in a few decades' time and commuting the sentences.

There really should be "gay refugee" programs in the West. I'm sure some people would abuse it (and the right wing would latch onto that like they do every other horror story), but for God's sake. We consider taking in people who are threatened by genocide a good thing (sometimes), what about individuals who are threatened with death because of whom they love? This program would never happen in America of course, because politics is more important than human lives to the fat, corrupt, rich dinosaurs who make up our government, but it's nice to dream...

• Thumbs Up 5

Given the common laws if logic, no person in any position of power should even be considering a bill that has the word "kill" in it.

The actual law does not have the word "kill" in it; that's just what it's been dubbed by detractors. The version apparently going up for signage also lacks capital punishment charges.

Why are people trying to ruin our lives? I don't just mean in Uganda, I mean LGBT in the whole world in general. All people want to do is live a happy life, but others are trying to destroy our lives for no good reason other than their own self proclaimed "standards". It's great to see some people taking a stand against anti-gay propaganda and homophobia, I wish I could help in some way, but I don't know how. I just hope that one day we can all overturn anti-gay propaganda.

I'm certainly not going to take discrimination lying down, and I'm sure a lot of other LGBT people feel the same way.

Why are people trying to ruin our lives? I don't just mean in Uganda, I mean LGBT in general. All people want to do is live a happy life, but others are trying to destroy our lives for no good reason other than their own self proclaimed "standards". It's great to see some people taking a stand against anti-gay propaganda and homophobia, I wish I could help in some way, but I don't know how.

That's also the thing: WHO THE HELL DOES THIS BENEFIT? Gays get persecuted, the persecutors get a bad reputation and are for the most part seen as monsters, the governments who allow for this to happen are seen as controlling and evil, and money is being poured into something that doesn't need to happen in the first place and is being directed away from better and more beneficial projects.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me get this straight: so gay people in Uganda are considered a worthless part of the population that deserves to be eradicated, yet raping children is totally fine in their books?

Sometimes I cannot believe how such level of hypocrisy can exist in this world, I swear to God... .___.

I've always known places in central Africa are very anti-homsexual and Uganda is one of the front runners in that but my lord, that's vile.

This is pretty disgusting. But at this point, stories like this don't even shock me anymore.

I still can't believe we're about to break into 2014 and human beings can't understand the concept of equality among all ethnicities, sexualities and genders.