Awoo.

Chaos Control: Space Warp, Time Stop or both?

Daya

This is something I recently got confused about.

In SA2, Chaos Control allows the user to warp Space and transport oneself to almost anywhere it wants. Sure.

But in Heroes, Chaos Control freezes time, in ShTH it both freezes time and warp space depending on the situation (stage/boss), in 06 it allows to freeze time and travel through time (we'll ignore that last part because time stones and 2006 sega stupidity), and in Generations it slows down time! It's like CC changes whenever it wants.

Can anyone clear me through this? Because I got the assumption that Chaos Emerald = Space and Time Stone = Time.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sparky

• Daya

• Chooch

• Junko

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think this one is nicely consistent. Chaos Control is introduced in Sonic Adventure 2, and in that game it is explicitly used to both slow time and teleport.

Slow time: The cutscene where Sonic meets Shadow for the first time and outruns him.

Teleport: 1) when Shadow saves Rouge, 2) when Sonic escapes that exploding capsule trap, 3) Sonic/Shadow boss fight, 4) Teleporting the whole darn Ark back to space at the end.

Not much of a stretch between slowing time and stopping it.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown

Chaos Control is an oxymoron, because Chaos is something that by definition can't be controlled. So what it ultimately amounts to is simply "controlling the uncontrollable", which could be anything up to outright reality control.

So yeah, it's intentionally vauge to allow writers to use it in virtually any arbitary power or plot device, much like the emeralds themselves.

Actually, I think this one is nicely consistent. Chaos Control is introduced in Sonic Adventure 2, and in that game it is explicitly used to both slow time and teleport.

Slow time: The cutscene where Sonic meets Shadow for the first time and outruns him.

Teleport: 1) when Shadow saves Rouge, 2) when Sonic escapes that exploding capsule trap, 3) Sonic/Shadow boss fight, 4) Teleporting the whole darn Ark back to space at the end.

Not much of a stretch between slowing time and stopping it.

I always thought that first cutscene was Shadow hyperspeeding because he is floating, and that's not a pose we find when we play as him, except maybe when he lightspeed rings.

I always thought that first cutscene was Shadow hyperspeeding because he is floating, and that's not a pose we find when we play as him, except maybe when he lightspeed rings.

It probably seems that way because time is slowed down for Shadow as that point.

Chaos Control can pretty much do anything, it uses Chaos Emeralds, which are pretty much the most powerful objects on the Sonic Universe, to bend the universe itself at the person's will, pretty much, Time Travel, Slow down time, teleportation, dimension travel, all of this is pretty much possible with Chaos Control, but to be fair, we don't really know the full extent of that power, since Shadow mostly uses it to slow down time or teleport, and that's it, even though we can see later that he already knew it could be used for time travel.

Chaos Control has always been described as warping Time and space. So with the Chaos Emeralds, you can teleport, freeze time, or completely rewrite the universe itself and create your own reality and timeline.

Chaos Control is an oxymoron, because Chaos is something that by definition can't be controlled. So what it ultimately amounts to is simply "controlling the uncontrollable", which could be anything up to outright reality control.

So yeah, it's intentionally vauge to allow writers to use it in virtually any arbitary power or plot device, much like the emeralds themselves.

The Chaos in Chaos Control means controlling the energy within Chaos Emeralds I.E. Chaos energy (for lack of a better term). The Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald* are some of the most powerful things in the entire series and controlling the energy inside of them, even if it's just one or two, is something special. It's mainly used to alter time and space tho'.

*If the Master Emerald even exists anymore. Sure it was name dropped in Generations but that hardly fucking matters in the grand scheme of things.

The Chaos in Chaos Control means controlling the energy within Chaos Emeralds I.E. Chaos energy (for lack of a better term). The Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald* are some of the most powerful things in the entire series and controlling the energy inside of them, even if it's just one or two, is something special. It's mainly used to alter time and space tho'.

*If the Master Emerald even exists anymore. Sure it was name dropped in Generations but that hardly fucking matters in the grand scheme of things.

Chaos Energy is obviously chaotic.

I guess. Although it's far less chaotic nowadays given that there is no longer a need for a Master Emerald and anyone who is anyone can harness its power.

Don't forget the most jarring power that was revealed late into the series - they can also be used to open portals in time that anyone can use freely for a limited time in Sonic 2006.  I'd say something like "good thing the characters don't remember that" but it seems Shadow and Sonic are well aware of this possibility when they team up in the future Soleanna to collect the chaos emeralds to return to their own time.

So yeah it is basically just all-powerful plot device and it's probably a good thing that it's fallen into disuse, frustrating as that is for canon.

Like everyone else has said, its basically just a plot device that the writers can do whatever with. Chaos Control ranges from simple teleports, stopping time itself, and outright time travel. The only description its been given is that "It allows the user to control time and space" but that's vague enough where it can literally do anything related to well, time or space.

Well that's disappointing

But again, maybe I just give SEGA too much credit to create a cohesive universe for heir own freaking mascot. Thank god for Ian Flynn.

Well that's disappointing

But again, maybe I just give SEGA too much credit to create a cohesive universe for heir own freaking mascot. Thank god for Ian Flynn.

Sonic's Universe is as Chaotic as him and the Emeralds.

Don't forget the most jarring power that was revealed late into the series - they can also be used to open portals in time that anyone can use freely for a limited time in Sonic 2006.  I'd say something like "good thing the characters don't remember that" but it seems Shadow and Sonic are well aware of this possibility when they team up in the future Soleanna to collect the chaos emeralds to return to their own time.

So yeah it is basically just all-powerful plot device and it's probably a good thing that it's fallen into disuse, frustrating as that is for canon.

Ooh, and they can open portals to Blaze's dimension whenever there's a universe-threatening danger that must be addressed immediately as part of a grand adventure...

...or when there's a birthday party to attend.