Awoo.

Thoughts on modern Knuckles?

Connor

That happens only due to flanderization...she just likes spending time with him, Sonic isn't against that as long as she keeps a cool head.

What I loved about SA1's interpretation of Knuckles is that it gave us a bit of a subtle middle ground in terms of seriousness and goofiness from Knuckles.  Playing Sonic 3 makes it pretty evident that Knuckles was always a bit of a clumsy bonehead, but he was nevertheless a menacing bonehead with real strength and ambition.  He wasn't just a tag-along for comic relief; he had a real goal that he had to fulfill.

The classics sort of depicted Knuckles as smug, sort of like Sonic only not nearly as foresighted, which was a nice interpretation of the character, but didn't do much to make him stand out as a character.  As the games began to shift tone in SA1, Knuckles' personality took a pretty sharp turn towards what Shadow is now:  The serious character amidst a crowd of more fun-loving looneys.  However, unlike Shadow, he maintained many of his flaws.  I think that's my favorite thing about him.  His gullibility and impulsive nature were ironic, because he was such an otherwise serious and respectable character.

One problem I've had with the writing of a lot of things lately is the sheer lack of in-between when it comes to their characters.  SA1's interpretation of Knuckles gave him just the right amount of intelligence with a splendid mix of impulsiveness and bull-headedness to make him a more natural-flowing character.  However, lately he seems to be defined by little but his own flaws as opposed to his strengths and his flaws.  The current portrayal of Knuckles isn't necessarily horrible or anything, but I feel it focuses too much on his gullibility and dependence on blunt force and not enough about his genuine prowess in physical combat or his ambitious nature.

Today's Knuckles could work just as well as SA1's, though, if they just gave him a bit more to do.  Or at the very least, integrated him into the plot as someone other than Sonic's other sidekick.  I mean, for the time he's there, Knuckles is fairly enjoyable, but I feel that in many of the more modern games he's been a part of... he's just not left any sort of impression and half the time I forget he's even in he game.  Chalk that up to bad writing or what have you, but I don't think even with the more simplistic narrative structure of modern Sonic, which I adore, that I'm asking too much to just let him have end-game goals.

• Thumbs Up 5

Everything I could say has already been said in depth, in the previous comments. Knuckles, I don't think, has had potential or depth taken away from his character in the later games, just a lack of reason to really be there. I can see him playing a bigger role in a bigger plot that actually has to do with him and his story/culture, in the future. But, as of recent years, he seems to have taken up some side-kick spots that, if you ask me, were really more suitable for Him and His character than Amy, or another character/ally of "team Sonic" in the series. I've got a good feeling that he hasn't lost relevance, he just hasn't had a good opportunity to go in depth with what he's doing in "life" right now.

As for the Sonic Boom sneak-peek, (the picture of his shadow), I, myself, don't think his new shape, if that even is supposed to be Knuckles, can foreshadow that his personality is going to change. I really have no damn clue What to expect of SB, guess we'll just have to see when the time comes.  

I was gonna post my thoughts on what I liked about Knuckles prior to flanderization, but people already kinda touched on that so I'll just answer the topic question I suppose.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not in fact hate Modern Knuckles. I like Knuckles having a bit more of a goofy side, with himself trying to one up Sonic. Bringing on some of his misfortune due to his sometimes easily angered and arrogant nature. What I don't like about Modern Knuckles is his under-utilization. He keeps talking about all of these things that he would do better than Sonic, but none of this is actually acknowledged. Sonic doesn't react to it, which is weird for a competitive guy such as himself, and Knuckles himself doesn't try to do anything to one-up him either, so he's basically talking out of his ass. That's what annoys me about Modern Knuckles, he keeps talking all of this shit but never capitalizes on it. My attitude is "Put up or shut up".  That is ultimately the problem with Knuckles today, the writers will have him show up and say a bunch of interesting lines, but never actually have him do anything important. He's basically a prop, just there to show up so we know he exists. Makes you wonder why Sega even bother using him.

I also have kinda accepted that "Guardian Knuckles"(As in, the Knuckles from S3&-SA2) is a forgotten memory. Its been over 10 years since Sonic Adventure, and Sega have just taken the series to a direction where Knuckles` history and lore just wouldn't fit. It'd probably clash with the more lighthearted, saturday morning cartoon feeling they're going for which probably explains why they don't even bother with the Master Emerald anymore, or acknowledge Knuckles` ties to it aside from a mention here and there. Its saddening, yes but I'm kinda tired of being bitter over something that stopped being relevant years ago, no matter how justified I was.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was gonna post my thoughts on what I liked about Knuckles prior to flanderization, but people already kinda touched on that so I'll just answer the topic question I suppose.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not in fact hate Modern Knuckles. I like Knuckles having a bit more of a goofy side, with himself trying to one up Sonic. Bringing on some of his misfortune due to his sometimes easily angered and arrogant nature. What I don't like about Modern Knuckles is his under-utilization. He keeps talking about all of these things that he would do better than Sonic, but none of this is actually acknowledged. Sonic doesn't react to it, which is weird for a competitive guy such as himself, and Knuckles himself doesn't try to do anything to one-up him either, so he's basically talking out of his ass. That's what annoys me about Modern Knuckles, he keeps talking all of this shit but never capitalizes on it. My attitude is "Put up or shut up".  That is ultimately the problem with Knuckles today, the writers will have him show up and say a bunch of interesting lines, but never actually have him do anything important. He's basically a prop, just there to show up so we know he exists. Makes you wonder why Sega even bother using him.

I also have kinda accepted that "Guardian Knuckles"(As in, the Knuckles from S3&-SA2) is a forgotten memory. Its been over 10 years since Sonic Adventure, and Sega have just taken the series to a direction where Knuckles` history and lore just wouldn't fit. It'd probably clash with the more lighthearted, saturday morning cartoon feeling they're going for which probably explains why they don't even bother with the Master Emerald anymore, or acknowledge Knuckles` ties to it aside from a mention here and there. Its saddening, yes but I'm kinda tired of being bitter over something that stopped being relevant years ago, no matter how justified I was.

I have to agree that I think He is really funny now, and I like that, as long as, like you said, they actually give him a point of existing!

But I do not agree that Knuckles would be better off not being a guardian anymore. That is the heart and soul of who Knuckles is! I almost think that Knuckles is emotionally and mentally tied to it, it is like a relative to him. I think he loves the Master Emerald like it is his mother sort of thing, and I think ditching it is a part of the issue at hand. I don't think the Master Emerald would keep him totally bound to Angel Island, because he seems to be able to tell how it is doing from very far away, but his love and determination to protect the Master Emerald is a indispensable part of him. It would be like Tails not caring about Sonic anymore, it is a part of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never said he'd be better off, I'm saying that its a relic of the past and it is more than likely not going to be important in the foreseeable future. The series has shifted away from the more serious storytelling of those games, so its pretty reasonable to assume that they have no plans for anything related to the Master Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

Idk, Knuckles has always been kind of a loner. Ya know chillin on Angel Island protecting the master emerald. And as much as I like Knuckles, he belongs on Angel Island unless the Master Emerald goes missing. He only shows up to help Sonic and Tails occasionally. He was essential in SA 1 and 2 because of the treasure hunting missions. I really don't want to do any more treasure hunting missions. If he did return, I would like him to play as he did in Sonic 3&K

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to agree with Akito, in that I think Knuckles works better in sort of that Composite Character state where he's the Comically Serious, being hot headed and naive but still rather badass and capable of being clever and dignified. Knuckles is too much of a gag character now, but I tend to find interpretations lacking any goofy qualities to be kinda boring. Besides with both variants we get twice the amount of facets, the best of both worlds.

I know this'll probably seem heinous but I actually thought Knuckles was done rather well in Sonic X, at least in the early episodes pre Flanderization. He still had his temper and wounded pride, but his role as guardian was there, and he was still sort of the aloof rivalistic ally that usually only crossed paths with Sonic when trouble came up with Angel Island. It admittedly went downhill as time passed and the Complainer Is Always Wrong gags started to turn him into the Butt Monkey, but the character seen in the first episodes is very much how I see a balanced Knuckles.

Knuckles was never really 'close' to Sonic and Tails until SA2/Heroes. They were tentative rivals at best, and unabashed foes at worst (especially notable in SA and S3&K). I personally would prefer the reclusive and silent Knuckles, always slightly out of step with other characters, rather than thick skulled "KNUCKLES SMASH" Buffles.

SEGA should just take Knuckles' role as Guardian of the Master Emerald and Angel Island and extend it to the whole planet. Since, you know, danger to the planet basically makes his role as Guardian of the M.E. pointless. 

SEGA should just take Knuckles' role as Guardian of the Master Emerald and Angel Island and extend it to the whole planet. Since, you know, danger to the planet basically makes his role as Guardian of the M.E. pointless. 

Eh, I sort of feel that detracts from the meaning of his character.  He lives a secluded life, neutral to the rest of the world's affairs, guarding his own home.  He has no idea why, but he feels that it's his responsibility.  I think that has the potential to be a pretty deep story in its own right.  Granted, I would have no problem if the Master Emerald and Angel Island played a much larger impact on the world as a whole rather than just being an island that exists.

• Thumbs Up 2

You could just extend his guardianship to the Chaos Emeralds as well considering their close ties to the Master Emerald, but that's just me.

You could just extend his guardianship to the Chaos Emeralds as well considering their close ties to the Master Emerald, but that's just me.

Didn't Sonic 3's instruction manual originally describe him as guardian of the Chaos Emeralds?

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't Sonic 3's instruction manual originally describe him as guardian of the Chaos Emeralds?

I believe so, but I think that was before the Chaos Emeralds would eclipse their daddy soo.

Knuckles has basically said that the Chaos Emeralds are Sonic's jurisdiction. But that in and of itself is reason enough for him to hang around Sonic because Knuckles is connected to the Master Emerald.

Knuckles has basically said that the Chaos Emeralds are Sonic's jurisdiction. But that in and of itself is reason enough for him to hang around Sonic because Knuckles is connected to the Master Emerald.

Where did he ever say this?  (Though I do find it interesting that Knuckles contemplates asking Sonic for his advice at the end of SA1 when Angel Island continues to sink, despite the Master Emeralds being in its proper place.)

I kind of remembering him saying something to that effect in Rush when he thought Blaze had a Chaos Emerald. Of course this raises the question of how does and what can Sonic know about the emeralds that Knuckles does not. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did he ever say this?  (Though I do find it interesting that Knuckles contemplates asking Sonic for his advice at the end of SA1 when Angel Island continues to sink, despite the Master Emeralds being in its proper place.)

Personally, When it came to the chaos emeralds at the end of SA1, I think it shows that , regardless of how he feels about Sonic, he still highly regards Sonic's opinions on things, and finds Sonic to be a good confidant, though he is highly unlikely to admit it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern Knuckles when we get to see him, is great. Other than that like everybody else said, I doubt anybody wants another broken Master Emerald storyline. That's been done to death already.

• Thumbs Up 1

He said it in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Rush. He contemplates asking Sonic for his advice at the end of SA1 when Angel Island continues to sink, despite the Master Emeralds being in its proper place. In Sonic Rush, he senses the Sol Emeralds in Blaze's possession, and thinks its a Chaos Emerald and then proceeds to tell Blaze to give the Chaos Emeralds to Sonic for their protection.

Modern Knuckles when we get to see him, is great. Other than that like everybody else said, I doubt anybody wants another broken Master Emerald storyline. That's been done to death already.

^

I'd rather see Knuckles the way he is now (which sucks) rather than see the Master Emerald being broken again and Knuckles having to go after them. Honestly his only purpose in SA2 was hunting them down, which could have easily been removed from the story and had no effect at all. Do something new with the character, he doesn't have be always attached to the Master Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

^

I'd rather see Knuckles the way he is now (which sucks) rather than see the Master Emerald being broken again and Knuckles having to go after them. Honestly his only purpose in SA2 was hunting them down, which could have easily been removed from the story and had no effect at all. Do something new with the character, he doesn't have be always attached to the Master Emerald.

I think it is true that we don't need another broken Master Emerald story and the levels that come with it (though they were the only levels I was good at believe it or not :blink: ), but I do believe they can still incorporate the Master Emerald Guardianship into the story somehow. I just can't see Knux without it... They were able to do that kind of thing in Sonic rivals and Rivals 2, and that was a neat way of sticking it in :). I just don't know, I can't see Fix it Felix without his hammer, or Knuckles without his beloved Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's why I'm always suggesting bringing The Chaotix back and having Knuckles a part of them. That way, he not only has a reason for being there, it can be part of the story without being a pointless add-on. And it also references on the game Knuckles' Chaotix by having all four of them together again.

And you can also bring in the Master Emerald without having to find the pieces for the hundredth time.

Honestly his only purpose in SA2 was hunting them down, which could have easily been removed from the story and had no effect at all.

I felt like the Master Emerald breaking was a decent enough B plot for the game. It let him have his own motivations, even after joining up with the other heroes, it helped to introduce Rouge and define her character, and it got tied into the main plot in the end.

Personally I wouldn't be terribly bothered if they did another plot where the emerald broke at this point. Twice in a row may have been a bit much, but it's been well over a decade since the last time at this point. I wouldn't want it to be his only/usual route into the story, but I don't think it's an option that needs to be shut down completely.

• Thumbs Up 4

That's why I'm always suggesting bringing The Chaotix back and having Knuckles a part of them. That way, he not only has a reason for being there, it can be part of the story without being a pointless add-on. And it also references on the game Knuckles' Chaotix by having all four of them together again.

And you can also bring in the Master Emerald without having to find the pieces for the hundredth time.

Knuckles doesn't fit with modern Chaotix though. He doesn't guard and find treasure for profit, he does it out of duty. Whereas the Chaotix just don't gel with Knuckles' duty given that they will assist the likes of Eggman and Rouge (probably the top 2 on Knuckles' list of despised people).

Plus Knuckles Chaotix isn't canon so a reference like that is out of the question. The closest to a reference we'll get to it is Vector seeming to get along with him in the Mario and Sonic series.