Awoo.

Thoughts on modern Knuckles?

Connor

I felt like the Master Emerald breaking was a decent enough B plot for the game. It let him have his own motivations, even after joining up with the other heroes, it helped to introduce Rouge and define her character, and it got tied into the main plot in the end.

Personally I wouldn't be terribly bothered if they did another plot where the emerald broke at this point. Twice in a row may have been a bit much, but it's been well over a decade since the last time at this point. I wouldn't want it to be his only/usual route into the story, but I don't think it's an option that needs to be shut down completely.

Yeah, I actually liked that kind of thing in all honesty, I liked the Emerald gathering thing, and that Knuckles was on his own a bit, being he is a "loner".  They were not fun for some people, but they are good for me :).

I mean that If they were not to put those levels or that particular story line into the games, I think that the Master Emerald and Knuckles should still be connected to the story and to each other in some way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles doesn't fit with modern Chaotix though. He doesn't guard and find treasure for profit, he does it out of duty. Whereas the Chaotix just don't gel with Knuckles' duty given that they will assist the likes of Eggman and Rouge (probably the top 2 on Knuckles' list of despised people).

Plus Knuckles Chaotix isn't canon so a reference like that is out of the question. The closest to a reference we'll get to it is Vector seeming to get along with him in the Mario and Sonic series. 

Going strictly from the games, that first point you make does fit, but I never remember them helping Rouge, and helping Eggman was a mistake [going from Heroes]. And if Knuckles' Chaotix isn't canon, what about Sonic Chronicles?

As for the finding pieces of the Master Emerald sub-plot, I wouldn't mind it one more time, so long as the gameplay for the stages is engineered differently.

The Chaotix only "helped" Eggman because they didn't know they were helping him. In fact, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog both prove that they are against Eggman. 

Going strictly from the games, that first point you make does fit, but I never remember them helping Rouge, and helping Eggman was a mistake [going from Heroes]. And if Knuckles' Chaotix isn't canon, what about Sonic Chronicles?

As for the finding pieces of the Master Emerald sub-plot, I wouldn't mind it one more time, so long as the gameplay for the stages is engineered differently.

They helped Rouge try to find the red rings in Generations (believe it or not), and Vector got wise to the identity of the client before he was revealed, and still went along with it. Presumably he figured he was in peril himself somewhere along the line, perhaps by the fact they were fake Eggmen and Eggman isn't privy to that.

And Sonic Chronicles...is the epitome of non-canon itself. Bringing that up when talking about canon is like bringing a soggy newspaper to a bludgeon fight. 

Edit: Also, just to make clear, willing to work for them =/= willing to do illegal things for them. It's just that they still ultimately clash with Knuckles.

I wouldn't really say that's clashing with Knuckles, unless they're actively helping Eggman or Rouge against him. Neither of those examples really have them doing anything Knuckles would disapprove of, or would have any reason for him to consider them enemies.

Ah. I see where you're going with that. But still mistakes in their own right, and something Knuckles himself has made in the past.

And as for the games, I'm still trying to figure main from non-canon.

I wouldn't really say that's clashing with Knuckles, unless they're actively helping Eggman or Rouge against him. Neither of those examples really have them doing anything Knuckles would disapprove of, or would have any reason for him to consider them enemies.

Not enemies, just not something that Knuckles would want to do himself. The original point was that Knuckles should join the Chaotix, but there's no way he'd want to do the above mentioned unless the stakes were high. 

^

I'd rather see Knuckles the way he is now (which sucks) rather than see the Master Emerald being broken again and Knuckles having to go after them. Honestly his only purpose in SA2 was hunting them down, which could have easily been removed from the story and had no effect at all. Do something new with the character, he doesn't have be always attached to the Master Emerald.

This. Because Knuckles is more than a master emerald gardian. Hes also serves as the logic on Sonics team. Team Sonic i mean. like when somethings comes and the characters think they cant do it Sonic will convince them they can if they work together and Knuckles is the extra push that says we must or X will happen. He works, especially paired with Sonics heart.  

How is Knuckles Chaotix Non-Canon? Has this been officially confirmed as fact? If not then how can that be said in a manner that is so 'matter-of-fact'?

Knuckles is my favourite character, and Knuckles Chaotix is one of my favourite games of the series, not just because Knuckles is cool, but the Chaotix were/are great characters to and the gameplay was fun and pretty unique. Graphics were lovely and the story was cool too.

I like modern Knuckles, but do wish he would get a bigger role, as I am sure most Knuckles fans do. As a character his determination and bravery need to be portrayed more, but him being relegated to almost 'extra' status in the cast at present is preventing that, purely because we don't get to see as much of him, nor his abilities.

Chaotix could still work with Knuckles, as their desire to earn money, could for example, not be as strong as their loyalty to Knuckles, since he helped them in the past and also because they could be united by a common cause.

Wish Mighty would come back (and Ray)! It would be cool if Knuckles (and maybe Vector, Charmy and Espio too), joined forces to find Mighty, or rescue him. Could also bring in more opportunities for the five of them to work together in the future.

The problem Knuckles' Chaotix was that Knuckles was shoved in to add popularity to the games when Espio was supposed to be the main

(but then Knuckles was a chaotix member in the comics)

How is Knuckles Chaotix Non-Canon? Has this been officially confirmed as fact? If not then how can that be said in a manner that is so 'matter-of-fact'?

Iizuka said so himself, with Heroes being the debut of "his" Chaotix.

Plus there's the sheer incompatabilities between the characterisations of Classic and Modern Chaotix (most prominently Charmy going from 16 years of age to 4).

Plus there's the sheer incompatabilities between the characterisations of Classic and Modern Chaotix (most prominently Charmy going from 16 years of age to 4).

This is actually completely false and incorrect with not even a hint of truth.

Charmy wasn't 16 in Knuckles' Chaotix, that was only what the US Manual said. In the Japanese manual, Charmy was actually the only one withOUT an age listed. And Charmy isn't 4 since Heroes, he's 6. 

This is actually completely false and incorrect with not even a hint of truth.

Charmy wasn't 16 in Knuckles' Chaotix, that was only what the US Manual said. In the Japanese manual, Charmy was actually the only one withOUT an age listed. And Charmy isn't 4 since Heroes, he's 6. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he 16 in the comics?  I'm sure that they probably asked about that as opposed to just randomly assigning an age.  Besides, he certainly doesn't have the same youthful appearance that he has in Heroes and onward.

(Also, I think the 4-year-old remark was a joke on his part, but you are right that he is six now. ^^)

I thought he was just talking in terms of designs.

Besides which, not many of the stories/plots of the different Sonic games actually interlink that well. I don't see how that renders Chaotix's canon as completely invalid.

Also, Charmy isn't the only character the get younger the series. Prior to Sonic Heroes, Sonic was 16, but then Heroes, reduced his age to 15. I know it isn't as extreme, but it's still something that messes with the continuity. And suddenly Knuckles goes from 15, to 16 in Heroes, meaning that he has suddenly gone from being a year younger than Sonic, to being a year older. :/

Also, Charmy isn't the only character the get younger the series. Prior to Sonic Heroes, Sonic was 16, but then Heroes, reduced his age to 15. I know it isn't as extreme, but it's still something that messes with the continuity. And suddenly Knuckles goes from 15, to 16 in Heroes, meaning that he has suddenly gone from being a year younger than Sonic, to being a year older. :/

The fact that those age changes don't change the character dynamics in the slightest and the fact that the previous stories pertaining to them have been at least somewhat referenced to have existed indicates the other classic games are canon.  Knuckles Chaotix hasn't been acknowledged once.  The Chaotix don't even acknowledge Knuckles' existence half the time, leading me to believe that from Heroes onward, they lack any sort of preexisting relationship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he 16 in the comics?  I'm sure that they probably asked about that as opposed to just randomly assigning an age.

You overestimate the writers of the time. No, they didn't, theu just looked at the manual and called it a day...if they were even somewhat caring about it.

And off that reply note, Iizuka wasn't talking about their designs, he was talking about their entire characters. It's supported by the fact he said that characters like Mighty would have to be reintroduced as new characters into the current continuity a decade later.

Also him saying that the classics are their own continuity not in line with the current continuity (although the main 4 are obviously canon to the current continuity). That also supports it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vector's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Music, dancing, basketball
Dislikes: Noise
It is a cheerful and remarkable optimist imprudently. However, in fact, rather than whom, group consciousness is strong and has what forcibleness and tenderness which fight also difficult. Existence of God was believed, and the news of the island of a miracle were heard and it came to this island.

Espio's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Battle training, information gathering
Dislikes: Eggman
If it is only a sense of justice, it is very strong single-minded character. It gets interested in legendary civilization, and in order to investigate a relation with a floating island, it will visit on an island. Therefore, infact, the knuckle is envied.

Charmy's profile from Knuckles Chaotix (Japanese):
Hobbies: Napping
Dislikes: Being made a fool of
He who exceeded acoustic velocity for the first time with the insect is character about which it will not have kept silent if pride is high and has itself denied. And speech and conduct have become it precocious by the remarkable moody person. The alleged name which has flown to a new island in quest of a new flower "the fastest insect in the world."

These are the Knuckles Chaotix profiles for the current Chaotix members.

It might help to post a translation that isn't from Google, because I honestly have no idea what you're attempting to point out here.

It might help to post a translation that isn't from Google, because I honestly have no idea what you're attempting to point out here.

It's not from Google, it's from a Knuckles Chaotix centered website. I was only posting this for comparison with the modern Chaotix.

I felt like the Master Emerald breaking was a decent enough B plot for the game. It let him have his own motivations, even after joining up with the other heroes, it helped to introduce Rouge and define her character, and it got tied into the main plot in the end.

Personally I wouldn't be terribly bothered if they did another plot where the emerald broke at this point. Twice in a row may have been a bit much, but it's been well over a decade since the last time at this point. I wouldn't want it to be his only/usual route into the story, but I don't think it's an option that needs to be shut down completely.

As long as it's part of the actual plot and what's going on around him through. Rouge could have been in SA2 if the M.E wasn't there, but Knuckles? I wouldn't see a reason for him to be. He's really just alone in his side of the plot, and I couldn't really help but be bothered that I was playing with him since I wanted to get back to the ARK story-line.

I wouldn't mind seeing it come back (no treasure hunting stages though, please) but as long as it's well-integrated into the story. It doesn't have to be the center of attention like SA1, but it also doesn't need to be the only reason Knuckles is involved in anything in the first place like SA2.

Well that's kind of the idea of a B plot, its a subplot within the main one. It doesn't necessarily have to be related to it. I do somewhat see where your coming from tho, Knuckles doesn't really contribute to the main plot until the last story. So yea, if they were to make the whole breaking the Master Emerald thing into another side story, it should at least give Knuckles more to do in the plot.

As long as it's part of the actual plot and what's going on around him through. Rouge could have been in SA2 if the M.E wasn't there, but Knuckles? I wouldn't see a reason for him to be. He's really just alone in his side of the plot, and I couldn't really help but be bothered that I was playing with him since I wanted to get back to the ARK story-line.

I wouldn't mind seeing it come back (no treasure hunting stages though, please) but as long as it's well-integrated into the story. It doesn't have to be the center of attention like SA1, but it also doesn't need to be the only reason Knuckles is involved in anything in the first place like SA2.

I'll grant you, he could've been integrated a bit better, and maybe they should've brought him into contact with the rest of the heroes earlier. But once the story does reach the point of him joining up, I think it works pretty well, even if he doesn't have a huge personal stake in things. The emerald being broken gives him reason to be out there crossing paths, his friendship and alliance with the heroes leads him to help out a bit (infiltrating Eggman's pyramid base), but he's still driven by his own personal mission instead of just hanging on to Sonic's (leading to them to separate once they reach the ARK), and once he's got his business taken care of he's willing to lend a hand again (and he and his emerald end up being instrumental in the Last Story). That's a good balance, I think; it just needs something to break up or tie in his early levels, since they're basically just "and then Knuckles went to *level* and found some shards" times 3.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree, Knuckles happens to be my favorite character. I just don't get why he isn't getting any attention these days. I miss the old days when we were all playing Sonic & Knuckles...

I still don't get why Knuckles hasn't gotten his own game yet. I mean Tails has..so why not Knuckles?

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree, Knuckles happens to be my favorite character. I just don't get why he isn't getting any attention these days. I miss the old days when we were all playing Sonic & Knuckles...

I still don't get why Knuckles hasn't gotten his own game yet. I mean Tails has..so why not Knuckles?

Does Knuckles Chaotix not count? =P

Besides, Sonic & Knuckles kinda co-starred him. 

Does Knuckles Chaotix not count? =P

Besides, Sonic & Knuckles kinda co-starred him. 

Not exactly what I was thinking but you have a point..