Awoo.

On status re-posting.

goku262002

Since I've been told I have this issue, lets bring it up.

Sometimes when I write a status that I put alittle effort into, I'd like it to be seen and replied to don't we all right? now when on a heavy traffic day, the statuses can tend to go lightning quick, with new statuses appearing every 20-40 seconds (yes I've counted), your status tends to fall of the SSMB front page and the first page of the status area real quick.

As for my issue, I'd like the status I put effort into to be seen so I re-post it, especially on days that have heavy traffic. I tend to give myself a 3 chance rule: if my status doesn't have at least 1 reply by the 3rd re-post In the same day then I delete it and never repost it again.

Now for this, I've been called out as being too repetitive or spammy. Now honestly I don't feel like thats fair because I'd like my status to not get buried by some 2 word status, a stupid status meme piling, or fawning over some Nintendo/Sony/fuckwhatever event thats going on and at least have a decent shot to be looked at.

So I want an official word on this, that way its settled. whats the deal with status reposting, when can I officially be allowed to re-post a status (if I'm allowed to at all) for it to not count as spam or me being repetitive, and how many times can I repost the same status in a day?

Thank you for answering.

• Thumbs Up 4

I gotta be honest with you buddy, reposting the same status really comes off as being an attention whore and it can annoy people. And personally I really don't care if anyone says anything on my statuses as long as it gets read somehow. I use it to get stuff off my mind but I don't feel like spamming statuses. I guess its matter of values I suppose and I hope you can take a bit of criticism. shaddupstaphbringingupcirnothatwasamorestupidertime

But as the issue on hand, I can assume you can repost statuses as much as you want. But it will come off as spammy to some.

• Thumbs Up 4

Eh, for me I only repost my status if it falls off the front page in less than a minute (which has unbelievably, happened quite a number of times).

That's why during some of those times when SSMB gets into one of those "post memes in status updates" moods I just copy-paste my update and wait for a couple of hours before posting it.

When this happens to me, I very occasionally delete it and repost it later. Like, a lot later; some time after the posting rate has dropped down again. I rarely do it though; I don't tend to have a lot of really important things to say in the statuses. I mostly do it if there's a little question I really want answered but it's not worthy of a post or new thread; if it gets pushed off the page really quickly I wait a bit and try again. If I want to discuss stuff I post about it in a topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I realize you're putting effort into the statuses, a status falling off the front page is just the way the cookie crumbles. I'm sure if you don't repost the status straight after it's fallen off, maybe wait a couple hours, that'd probably be fine. But if it's straight after it falls off, I can see why some people would call is spammy. (I'm not aware of your reposting habits, so I'm not calling you out on doing that, just to be clear.)

But waiting a couple hours is probably best if you really want it to be seen.

So help me understand this issue:

User A posts a status during peak activity on the forums. Users B through F each post a new status within the span of half a minute, causing User A's status update to be pushed off the front page. User A copies their status and posts it again so that it has extra time to be noticed by users.

... Why is this even an issue, then? It really shouldn't need to be brought up as an issue since the status update module is only there as an extra for fun (as it has been since day one).

Don't be a twat. If there is a lot of concern about your status updates, your friends will turn on the notifications and receive one when you post one.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, if the status is important enough to need re-posting and to be commented on then it's probably worth a topic in the Personal Discussion section. If you have a question that really needs answered then give it at least a couple of hours before posting it again.

To be honest, if the status is important enough to need re-posting and to be commented on then it's probably worth a topic in the Personal Discussion section. If you have a question that really needs answered then give it at least a couple of hours before posting it again.

^ This is pretty much what I'm thinking.  The status updates are really more like an IRC, only it's not actually in real time.  It's not meant for super-important messages, and to be frank, with few exceptions, I don't believe you should be posting anything in the statuses that you're not prepared to see drowned out fairly quickly.  I understand that you put your effort into those statuses, and that's good.  We're glad you're putting the feature to good use.  But that's not what the status is for.

There's really no set limit to how many times you can post it per day, but in just my personal opinion, I think you should take timing and frequency into account.  Don't re-post a status as soon as it leaves the front page.  Give the forum time to slow down first.  And I wouldn't do it more than twice, making sure they're spread out a reasonable distance.  Of course, you also have to consider what it is you're trying to say.  Reposting a status for the sake of 1) venting, 2) telling a joke, or 3) advertising can get pretty old pretty quickly.  I'm sure the members will understand if you're reposting to remind everyone of something important, but none of the aforementioned are really considered "important" to the memberbase here.

• Thumbs Up 2

So help me understand this issue:

User A posts a status during peak activity on the forums. Users B through F each post a new status within the span of half a minute, causing User A's status update to be pushed off the front page. User A copies their status and posts it again so that it has extra time to be noticed by users.

... Why is this even an issue, then? It really shouldn't need to be brought up as an issue since the status update module is only there as an extra for fun (as it has been since day one).

Don't be a twat. If there is a lot of concern about your status updates, your friends will turn on the notifications and receive one when you post one.

While I feel that you could've got your point across just fine without name calling Chris, I can understand that this is minor issue to you. I didn't expect an admin to really come to this topic and post, honestly I was expecting just one of the mods to come by.

I didn't really consider it an "issue" in a critical sense but I would've still liked feedback from someone of a high rank even though the member feedback is appreciated.

But since you said what you wanted to say, I'm sure the others will follow suit in the same tone . I'll request for this to be closed so I can avoid that.

EDIT: Thanks Akito, all I wanted.

While I feel that you could've got your point across just fine without name calling Chris, I can understand that this is minor issue to you. I didn't expect an admin to really come to this topic and post, honestly I was expecting just one of the mods to come by.

... Right, okay. With that, I feel this topic has exhausted its usefulness and I'll be locking it.