Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

9 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

So, Voice of Reason made an end-of-season review for S8 in the style of Jelloapocalypse (which I'm starting to become a big fun of) and... it gets pretty scathing when he gets to the Top 5 worst episodes:

This is actually what he said in the despcritpion: Yep, I'm jumping on this bandwagon. Also, this season sucked. (Yikes).

Yeah, he says some very sad truths about this season that needed to be said, especially about Matter of Principals. Though, it's nice that he found some good in the season. 

I see I'm not only one who saw some of the retakes on things to do with Starlight. Though I'm kinda shocked at how much he didn't like his worst. And All Bottled Up, for that matter.

Also, I can't beleive it took this long to realize we had an episode called the Mean Six on Sonic Stadium.

16 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I see I'm not only one who saw some of the retakes on things to do with Starlight. Though I'm kinda shocked at how much he didn't like his worst. And All Bottled Up, for that matter.

Also, I can't beleive it took this long to realize we had an episode called the Mean Six on Sonic Stadium.

I have heard some problems with the episode. 

I never saw that.

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

One was that the subplot with the Mane Six was pointless.

Oh.

...Eh, it kinda was.

Guess they just felt the need to "explain" what the Mane Six was doing so Starlight and Trixie could have their [bulk of the] episode without issue.

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh.

...Eh, it kinda was.

Guess they just felt the need to "explain" what the Mane Six was doing so Starlight and Trixie could have their [bulk of the] episode without issue.

Yeah, I checked the YMMV page for it on TV Tropes and it seemed like the Mane 6 had inflated egos in that episode. 

15 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, I checked the YMMV page for it on TV Tropes and it seemed like the Mane 6 had inflated egos in that episode. 

Eh, just sounds like more of people putting them on much of a pedestal and thus expecting them to behave and fare a certain way.

I mean, that kinda was the joke.

So looking back at some of my older comments for something here, I got to thinkin about Forgotten Friendship again.

In my "review" of it at the time, I noted that Wallflower was a brilliant deconstruction that didn't quite reach the climax she needed that the story seemed to be gradually building up from the beginning. I also mentioned that the biggest missed opportunity about the special was that closure on EQ!Snips&Snails was also sorta set up, but was seriously sidestepped for [just] Trixie.

With these opinions revisited, I think I managed to combine them into what the real big wasted plot point that both elements share was: a deeper, more meaningful look back into Sunset's Past.

• 3 weeks later...

I would probably try to give more focus to some of the more popular characters (Luna for example), have the Princesses be more useful when there's a crisis, have magic be ledd prominent, and fix the unintentional xenophobia with non-pony species. I think the first could help please fans more by giving these characters depth. The third one is because I don't like magic and the 4th can help reduce a lot of unpleasant implications the show has of showing the ponies overall being better than non-ponies in most things.

Also, this is something that I was thinking of a way to rectify Twilight's behavior in Marks for Effort could have been to reveal that Cozy cast a spell to manipulate Twilight as maybe practice for doing it on the students. 

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I would probably try to give more focus to some of the more popular characters (Luna for example), 

I think the first could help please fans more by giving these characters depth.

Oh ho?

More depth is good, yes.

have the Princesses be more useful when there's a crisis, 

Understandable. They really only show up in BIG episodes, half the time.

have magic be ledd prominent,

The third one is because I don't like magic

"Ledd?"

Oh, less! Um, one little problem, one little problem with that...

and fix the unintentional xenophobia with non-pony species. 

and the 4th can help reduce a lot of unpleasant implications the show has by showing the ponies overall being better than non-ponies in most things.

Oops. Like, is it? 

Eh...I guess? Like, unfortunately, the bulk of our major cast are ponies, so that's just kind of an inevitable hurdle they'd run into.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

You want magic to have less emphasis in a series called Friendship is Magic. 

A man can dream. Also, change the subtitle. 

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the episode consider by many fans to be one of the best (Twilight's Kingdom) also has one of the worst portrayals of the Princesses, sans Twilight. Aside from trying to help Twilight feel better through song, they do nothing to help with Tirek and Celestia makes things worse by sending Discord after him and tells Twilight not to tell her friends about Tirek and Discord. 

8 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the episode consider by many fans to be one of the best (Twilight's Kingdom) also has one of the worst portrayals of the Princesses, sans Twilight. Aside from trying to help Twilight feel better through song, they do nothing to help with Tirek and Celestia makes things worse by sending Discord after him and tells Twilight not to tell her friends about Tirek and Discord. 

I guess it's because Tirek was a big enough threat in different ways that Celestia strategizing rather extremely and not being able to adequately counter him is understandable/forgivable given the stakes, although that last one is a little questionable from what I can remember.

What was the reason she gave that one again?

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I guess it's because Tirek was a big enough threat in different ways that Celestia strategizing rather extremely and not being able to adequately counter him is understandable/forgivable given the stakes, although that last one is a little questionable from what I can remember.

What was the reason she gave that one again?

She said that she feared that them knowing would put them in danger, which doesn't make sense since a) Tirek probably would've known who Twilight since the princesses didn't bither covering up her stained window and b) Discord could have told Tirek. Plus, it left the Mane 6 unprepared and allowed them to be captured.

I think what also doesn't help is that beforehand, she's never directly helped when a crisis came along.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

She said that she feared that them knowing would put them in danger, which doesn't make sense since a) Tirek probably would've known who Twilight since the princesses didn't bither covering up her stained window and b) Discord could have told Tirek. Plus, it left the Mane 6 unprepared and allowed them to be captured.

Okay, yeah, that's does sound rather dumb. You know, outside of Rainbow and maybe Appleback stubbornly throwing themselves into danger and even that's a 50/50 that can be stretched around.

Also, the Princesses themselves had little to do with the stained class still being there--Discord was messing with them and neglected to change that one as well, possible intentionally.

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Also, the Princesses themselves had little to do with the stained class still being there--Discord was messing with them and neglected to change that one as well, possible intentionally.

You have a point there.

Going to back to sending Discord after Tirek, I don't see why Celestia didn't consider going with him if Tirek was still pretty weak.

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously. 

37 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Going to back to sending Discord after Tirek, I don't see why Celestia didn't consider going with him if Tirek was still pretty weak.

Good point. Lazy royals.

Like, Discord probably could've ended that in seconds--that's part of why she sent him--, but she should also know he'd goof around in actually finishing the job.

36 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously. 

What? Taking a show about magical ponies too seriously? Never.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm writing a relatively simple answer for my question about tweaks. While I was initially doing this, I saw this video in my homepage. 

So I finally got around to watching the holiday special (with it finally being the actual time of year to really get into the mood) and wow... it's phenomenal. Easily the best holiday special from the show so far and that is quite an accomplishment looking back.

The way each of the mane six + Spike have their own plot within the time-span of a single two parter is a sight to behold. Each of them entertaining in their own right too. Add in every single character being completely on point and I really don't have anything bad to say about this. Even Shinning and Cadance were great.

The music was surprisingly good, the jokes were funny probably 95% of the time, the animation + set design were gorgeous (even by mlp standards), and I even got a glimpse of Luna

Overall, an amazing episode. Perfect way to bring in the holidays.