Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

This week’s episode A Rockhoof and a Hard Place that features the Pillars. Well, sort of, as it only focuses on just one that is Rockhoof himself.

I quite liked this one and thought it was okay, having just few hang ups.

It was nice to see more the Pillars with some more world building too and the message. I just hope we get some more of their adventures before series end.

Of course, they crammed in the school in some way for this, but it’s just a peeve of mine. Though the whole fire breathing contest indoors still sounds like a stupid idea no matter what, being a dangerous fire hazard. Also, as for easy and obvious job solutions for Rockhoof would be construction worker and be a living wrecking ball and for heroism, a policeman or a firefighter esp. how he handled aforementioned scene.

Even used as an in joke the hippogriff navy still feels kinda forced along with the immediate firing of him just for one mistake. Also, the whole turning to stone thing aka slight ‘suicide’ metaphor feels unnecessary for the climax with Twilight going along with the plan seems off even if it was temporary. I do understand the storytelling aspect but could have at least shown in a flashback for better effect.

All in all, an alright episode.

So having watched the rest of the episodes of Season 8 during their earlier airings, I felt that the season overall was pretty good, but not as good as some of the previous seasons. I thought the biggest strengths of the character developments of the "Student Six". I will say that I loved the cliffhanger-like ending of the season finale and no doubt it's not the last we've seen of the main antagonist in the finale.

This week's episode was a bit of a weird one for me... though I will say that I did end up enjoying it anyways.

To keep it short and sweet, I did like the moral of the episode. It's a message that any age group can relate too.

It was neat seeing Rockhoof trying to adapt to the new world along with seeing how the others were getting along as well. It gave the episode a wider scope with the various locations they visited. There were small details added in throughout the episode that even took me a bit to see. Like how AJ was the one to help Twilight out here. At first I found it as a bit of an odd choice but then I remembered that she was the element linked to him back in season 7. That's just a well placed detail by the writer's doing honestly.

The weird part for me came towards the end when Rockhoof wanted to be turned to stone. Like... I get what they were going for and I have to say it rubbed me the wrong way. Especially with Twilight's willingness to go through with it after a while. Though, it again highlighted the student six who rightfully saw the whole thing as a negative. They were, again, a highlight for the episode.

So yeah, overall a pretty good episode. It stumbles in a section or two but the morale it gets to is well worth it.

20 hours ago, Kevin said:

Spoiler

I will say that I loved the cliffhanger-like ending of the season finale and no doubt it's not the last we've seen of the main antagonist in the finale.

This brings up something I've been wanting to say for a while now so by no means is this solely a message to you man.

Going forward, I'd appreciate it if we could keep all discussion regarding episodes yet to be released everywhere in the spoiler tag. 

There are a few people here (including myself) who prefer to stick to the US airings as their source for the show and, as such, are in the dark with the rest of season 8. I know it's been one hell of a leaky season (with some episodes having been out for almost a year now if the few files I saw flowing last year were real) but let's try to keep the forum's courtesies in place here. Even details as small as the one above can say a lot about the overall path an episode will go down. Not to mention future events.

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:

Like how AJ was the one to help Twilight out here. At first I found it as a bit of an odd choice but then I remembered that she was the element linked to him back in season 7. That's just a well placed detail by the writer's doing honestly.

Also, wasn't it mentioned in Campfire Tales that she was a fan of Rockhoof?

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Probably. Honestly, can't say I pay much attention to the comics outside of the ones with Luna in them...

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Probably. Honestly, can't say I pay much attention to the comics outside of the ones with Luna in them...

It was an episode I believe in season 6 or 7.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It was an episode I believe in season 6 or 7

Oh yeah right, yeah! She does there. Don't know why I misread your post as having to do with the comics and not an episode title. My mistake!

• Thumbs Up 1

So this week's episode was A Rockhoof and a Hardplace. It was an okay watch, but I think it was a relatively good episode..

I was beginning to wonder when I saw the episode number if all of the Pillars would be able to show up before this season is over and this episode actually weaved the rest of them in to flesh out Rockhoof's plight, with even Stygian getting a quick mention in an oddly on the nose way. I like it when these episodes can take advantage of what came before and show different perspectives on a problem.

The cast was packed with different characters this time, including General Seaspray(?) and excluding the aformentioned Stygian and Starswirl, though part of me kinda wanted to see Shining or even Flash [Sentry] during the Flash Magnus and Mistmane visits.

10 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

TVTropes mentions that, which also applies to AppleBloom.

12 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Going forward, I'd appreciate it if we could keep all discussion regarding episodes yet to be released everywhere in the spoiler tag. 

There are a few people here (including myself) who prefer to stick to the US airings as their source for the show and, as such, are in the dark with the rest of season 8. I know it's been one hell of a leaky season (with some episodes having been out for almost a year now if the few files I saw flowing last year were real) but let's try to keep the forum's courtesies in place here. Even details as small as the one above can say a lot about the overall path an episode will go down. Not to mention future events.

Yeah, I unintentionally ended up getting spoiled on the premise of the finale around the time [Strawhat dude] reviewed a related earlier episode and both a few halfmarked/unmarked spoilers TVTropes & a few thumbnails out there gave away some of what's gonna happen, so tread lightly ya'll if you don't wanna know anything.

Honestly, that was probably one of the best episodes this side of season 8 so far imo.

The continuity was just flowing here. There were quite a few callbacks made from across the series. So much so that I even found it a bit to keep up with. It was pretty interesting to see the student six tackle this same feeling. I imagine that this is what anyone who hasn't seen the other seven seasons plus movie would think if they just jumped into the series now which is pretty funny.

The student six also continue to shine here. Their interactions are both believable yet charming to me. Their fears are pretty realistic and further play to this season's theme of equality.

It was also interesting to see the tree get some more effort put into it. I actually hope they do more with those off brand, hilariously robotic, main six holograms. Seriously though, I don't know if it was intentional but Holo-Twi's mannerisms had me chuckling at some point.

Also, that young pink pony that I don't know the name to but don't want to look up for fear of spoilers... if there were any doubts about her potentially being a problem, de gone now. XD

So yeah, overall a pretty great episode.

This week’s episode is What Lies Beneath featuring the Student Six. And is it bad that I want to see more of the Pillars instead? I wasn’t feeling much for this one and just indifferent.

Probably one of the only things of interest for me was Ocellus’s fear for seeing Queen Chrysalis again.

Of course, personally, I don’t have much interest for the Student Six. They try to flesh the characters more here with the whole trope Trial of Fears and overcoming them, I guess, but it feels kinda rushed and somewhat typical and predictable.

Cozy Glow annoys me a bit with the cutesy act and doesn’t strike me as an interesting villain type. I mean, the fact that she is a kid is supposed to impress me? And feels like they’re setting up for some Disney Twist Villain crap which are the weakest aspect of those films (Zootopia, Frozen). Maybe the finale might change my mind, but doubt it as there are better examples out there.

Also, the spirit of the Tree of Harmony just being a glittered Twilight cheap and felt like there could have been more.

So it’s a Meh for me.

So, this episode What Lies Beneath was definitely a somewhat odd, yet interesting setup.

After signs of potentially failing a test on Equestrian History and taking in some comments on just how different, the foreign Students(and Sandbar) end up going into a cavern under the school where these strange crystalline roots have begun springing up. There, they each are faced with some of personal fears(or desires in Sandbar and to an extent [Dragongirl]'s case) they must face before the roots covers their entrance and only visible exit. 

I found Silverstream(who has some odd faces in this), Sandbar, Ocellus(remind me: is she supposed to be Thorax's daughter, hence her fear?), and arguably Cozy Glow(for the bits of screentime she got) to have some pretty intriguing and telling inner feelings. 

Silverstream was probably my favorite setup; just kinda wish it had a little more done with it, if you know what I mean. Though Ocellus's was more on the odd side outside of my questioning and Gallus also got a little more depth that actually makes some degree of sense through his evident claustrophobia.

With all that said,

Spoiler

Did Cozy Glow know about the Tree's extending roots all along?

2 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

It was also interesting to see the tree get some more effort put into it. I actually hope they do more with those off brand, hilariously robotic, main six holograms. Seriously though, I don't know if it was intentional but Holo-Twi's mannerisms had me chuckling at some point.

Do you think Chrysalis's plan in the halfway point episode had anything to do with it?

2 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Also, that young pink pony that I don't know the name to but don't want to look up for fear of spoilers... if there were any doubts about her potentially being a problem, de gone now. XD

...Oh, you mean Cozy Glow!

Yeah, still looks like asbestos or something. Though I could help but notice Silverstream has a similar, if more pleasing color scheme herself.

1 hour ago, AdventChild said:

Probably one of the only things of interest for me was Ocellus’s fear for seeing Queen Chrysalis again.

Yeah, I didn't get that honestly....

Like, given it's portrayal, is she afraid she'lll become another Chrysalis? And if so, why? Is there some connection there?

Of course, personally, I don’t have much interest for the Student Six. They try to flesh the characters more here with the whole trope Trial of Fears and overcoming them, I guess, but it feels kinda rushed and somewhat typical and predictable.

I do wish more was done with a few of them, I'll say that much.

Cozy Glow annoys me a bit with the cutesy act and doesn’t strike me as an interesting villain type. I mean, the fact that she is a kid is supposed to impress me? And feels like they’re setting up for some Disney Twist Villain crap which are the weakest aspect of those films (Zootopia, Frozen). Maybe the finale might change my mind, but doubt it as there are better examples out there.

Her portrayal is kinda weird.

Spoiler

I'm kinda wondering how she'd have come off if the whole season synopses and especially entire episodes didn't get leaked early.

And now that I think about, how much has she actually been shown off thus far?

Also, the spirit of the Tree of Harmony just being a glittered Twilight cheap and felt like there could have been more.

Honestly, I thought it would've been more interesting if it was in the form of Starlight or someone outside of the Main Six, but still notable. Or hell, maybe even an newer model that's, like, a combination of different characters.

i liked the new episode!! maybe its just me being overly sensitive, but i sort of teared up at the end. where they all came back together again and became friends again. cozy glow does strike me as... odd. suspicious. also, i think the reason why ocellus was scared of chrysalis, is not because she was scared of turning into her or anything, but i think it is because she is a changeling, and she is scared that as a changeling, she might end up going back to her old ways and possibly become another queen chrysalis? that's how i saw it at least.

i look forward to the next episode though! im excited for it.

1 minute ago, Skye said:

also, i think the reason why ocellus was scared of chrysalis, is not because she was scared of turning into her or anything, but i think it is because she is a changeling, and she is scared that as a changeling, she might end up going back to her old ways and possibly become another queen chrysalis?

That's kinda the same thing, dude.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

That's kinda the same thing, dude.

well..ah. i didn't word it right. i didn't mean become another queen chrysalis, or turn into her but.. like. sort of do the same things she did. make the same mistakes she did. i didn't mean literally turn into another queen chrysalis. words are hard. ;v;

3 minutes ago, Skye said:

well..ah. i didn't word it right. i didn't mean become another queen chrysalis, or turn into her but.. like. sort of do the same things she did. make the same mistakes she did. i didn't mean literally turn into another queen chrysalis. words are hard. ;v;

Okay, I suppose that is better.

The point is that becoming "another Queen Chrysalis" is an obvious Shadow Archetype thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

This week’s episode is Sounds of Silence with AJ and Fluttershy and introducing the Kirin.

I found this one to be middle of the road.

I did like the train conductor and more world building with the Kirin. Autumn Blaze was alright, coming off as Pinkie-ish at times.

Song went a bit long though due to the talking filler during it. Hit and miss humor wise. The plot was rather weak due to its slow pacing and rushed ending, and the seasonal theme trope of friends arguing rear its ugly head here too, even though it’s rather brief than previous episodes, still it’s becoming annoyingly overused. Also, AJ seemed to have done more than Fluttershy when it comes to moving the plot forward with a solution.

Just ok at best for me.

i loved the new episode!!! autumn blaze is adorable and i love her dearly. also fluttershy and applejack are a good duo as usual, even if they do argue sometimes. i loved the song though omg. more than i'd like to admit. also i think the reason autumn blaze perhaps came off a bit pinkie pie-ish is because she had not talked to anyone in so so so long. i'd be that way too if i had just one person to talk to after not being able to have a real conversation in years.

Now that was one hell of an episode. Can definitely see why Kirins have been so popular around the fandom over the last few months.

Flutters and AJ were always one of the most out their duos in the show for me. Yet, for the few times they've really been paired together, they just end up working imo. I loved their dynamic here. Especially Flutters who clearly has her character growth on display in not taking AJ's mess when she doesn't have to.

And the Kirins themselves, man do I love it when this show takes on mythical creatures! They're incredibly interesting in their mannerisms and well designed. Really hope that this isn't the last we see of them.

As for the morale, it was simple yet well done. The idea that you can't just stay quiet all the time to avoid negative feelings is an basic premise but it really shine here with how the Kirin are depicted. The pros and cons to each side are what make it. Add in that stellar song and the whole idea just hits straight home.

So yeah, overall this is probably one of the strongest episodes of the season so far for me.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, AdventChild said:

...and the seasonal theme trope of friends arguing rear its ugly head here too, even though it’s rather brief than previous episodes, still it’s becoming annoyingly overused.

I'm wondering if that'll end up becoming meme material. Honestly, I hope the writers keep that trope to a minimum in the season nine.

I remember seeing a few seconds of an animatic and a few random screenshots of this episode for quite a while now, so this was finally  getting to it.

This episode honestly felt like it rushed by pretty quick without commercials, to the point that the reprise felt a little oddly thrown in. Because of that, though, it somewhat underlines how simultaneously forced and yet barely in there the bickering between Fluttershy and Applejack was.

Autumn Blaze herself was near perfectly balanced out, as she came off as sorta Pinkie-ish and was definitely meant to be somewhat quirky, but actually had understandable reason to be, was nowhere near as hyper & scatterbrained, and had a deeper, Sunset-like voice. The reveal with her near the end, while partially a copout, was a clever touch as well. With that said, apparently the voice actress didn't the cleanest reputation before this episode, so look up that video at your own peril.

I couldn't help but think that the Kirin(and the pseudo-nonexistant Lyrics(?)) were meant to be a parallel and retake on both the Changelings and Starlight's Village, to the point that I briefly thought this might have started as an actual Starlight&Applejack episode twice. 

55 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm wondering if that'll end up becoming meme material. Honestly, I hope the writers keep that trope to a minimum in the season nine.

There's gonna be a season 9?

On 9/30/2018 at 2:15 AM, Strickerx5 said:

Now that was one hell of an episode. Can definitely see why Kirins have been so popular around the fandom over the last few months.

They have?

On 10/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, DabigRG said:

They have?

Yep, I’ve been seeing picture of them popping up on social media for at least 2 months now.

Sorry Princess Spike but I need to pull a Steve Harvey and take your crown of Worst Spike Episode and place it on Father Knows Beast.

Yes, this was how bad this episode was for me. After realizing that it was going down the whole Liar Revealed archetype story, one of my hated story tropes, I knew this was going to be a slog to get through and it was, like trying to swallow a pill the size of a watermelon.

Sludge was an awful character all around. You think they would’ve shown some character development during the montage with Spike and have him butter up to the little guy and maybe even like being a father figure but nope. He’s just a lazy manipulative mooch through and through. Speaking of montages, this episode was chock full of them from Sludge getting pampered to the father/son bonding moments and including the stupid song. It felt like filler that took up nearly half the episode.

Also, jokes were few and far between, barely even noticed them showing how bad the writing was. The whole dragon vs pony nature was weaker here than it was in Dragon Quest, an episode from friggin’ S2. Everybody was handed the Idiot Ball for plot convenience in this as the ponies believed Sludge without a second thought despite asking legit questions and how he dodged them. Spike being ungrateful brat to Twilight, the one that raised and loved him just because he has a dragon dad now. Smolder was just there to be the solution to this mess and only appeared a bit during the beginning and smack dab at the end.

Such a train wreck of an episode.

Slight correction, Dragon Quest was S2. It was basically the lore substitute for the actual prior S1 episode, A Dog and Pony Show. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, can't say I was much of a fan of this one either.

I think the only parts I liked were how everyone around Spike (of course excluding his "father") acted. They were generally excited for him to learn more about himself and supported him the whole way through. Even had a bit of a emotional impact when Spike questioned Twilight's position in his life, basically confirming that she's more of a mother figure to him than just a friend/ assistant. I liked seeing that.

What I didn't like was the overall plot and purpose of this episode. You basically saw the "twist" of this guy not being Spike's true dad coming a mile away. They didn't even try to play it up (like how most other shows who use this trope do). Made all their interactions just... sad to watch honestly. For those who have watched the show for years, we know how much Spike really does have trouble with his dragon side and would love to see some actual support on that end. Not to mention know where the hell the egg came from (seriously, you'd think they would've had Celestia mention that shit by now or something). But no, they used this episode to hammer home how bad some dragons are... again. It was unneeded and basically turned an idea that could've made for one of the best episodes in the show into a generic, hard to watch one instead.

Sigh, yep... overall this is probably one of my least favorite episodes of the season. It had a lot going for it, but their unwillingness to commit to a Spike origin story (when just about every other main character has one) killed it for me. It especially hurts as I am quite a big fan of Spike and am always routing for him. Episodes like this don't help his rep around the fandom.

• Thumbs Up 1