Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

He’s definitely brought up a good point. As for Chancellor Neighsay makes my amkther appearance, I predict he will do so on the season finale.

He is Starlight Glimmer 2.0!

Nah, but on a serious note, given that I made the mistake(?) of peeking ahead a while back, I'm wondering how that will work.

Spoiler

So surprise episode this Friday and it’s the 18th episode because Discovery Family does buck all. Of course, with the title of Yakity Sax, you’d expect the yaks would play a bigger role in this which fortunately they weren’t in it much. But still their annoyance came in the form of an instrument.

This one was very annoyingly so-so.

I guess I liked the scene with Gummy, but it made me realized how uncharacteristic it was of Pinkie to abandon him in Ponyville to go Yakyakistan esp. with Maud not taking him.

The main issue I have with the episode was how Pinkie was awfully portrayed in this. First off, Pinkie being oblivious of how her bad playing was disrupting her friends’ livelihood and causing trouble. And her getting very
depressed over the truth felt more of an overreaction. Mind you that she went into that state over a dumb instrument while in Party of One she became that because she thought her friends rejected her.

Not to mention having Pinkamena return this way feels cheap and forced even for a gag. Quite honestly, the way I would bring Pinkamena back would be some kind of (psychological) mystery tale where Pinkie one day wakes up like looking and feeling that way but can’t figure out why and have her friends help.

The callbacks to Horse Play may seem like nice continuity but it just reminds viewers of an episode that has done similar situation that has handled better, such as, Celestia’s reacting and taking the truth of her bad acting along with better motivations better than Pinkie’s first time playing.

And the moral is dreck. Continue to play bad music that ruins your friends’ lives and disturbing the peace of a town just because it makes you happy? Or could at least take some friggin’ lessons on to lessen the horrible sounds.

An awful meh-pisode.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/my-little-pony-season-8-episode-14.html

• Thumbs Up 1

So I was honestly blind-sighted by a new episode this week.

To keep things relatively short, I enjoyed it for the most part. Had quite a number of funny lines with the mane six. Not really sure about the moral though as such a lesson could easily go badly very quickly. Not to mention Pinkie who, imo, was pretty out of character in just choosing to leave everything behind because of this new thing she found. It was nice seeing the Yaks actually being nice this time around though.

So yeah, outside of a few moral and character problems, this was a fun watch overall.

Well that was a pretty good episode. The only downside in my view was the ending. I'm surprised they never addressed "even if you're doing something you love, don't do it in such a way that is objectively offensive to everyone around you". It would have been a great moral lesson for the episode. permalink embedsave parenteditdisable inbox repliesdeletereply

So Pinkamena returns! Funny how it made a comment about it (in another thread off-site), it turns out that it really does happen. One things for certain, don't ever make Pinkie depressed, because it does not end well. I do have to commend the writers for that portrayal in this episode and what what happens to everything around her when it does happen.

Oh, and I think the best line award in this episode goes to Maud with her "Many times. I grew up with her" when asked if she's seen Pinkie. It was the perfect delivery that could only come from her that made me laugh.

Seems like it's like Filli Vanilli, where Pinkie pie is the biggest problem with the episode.

Doc pretty much states how broken the moral of the episode can be.

Haven't seen the full episode yet, but I'm gonna assume the episodes they skipped over to show that were either intended to air beforehand(unlikely) or simply have "plot" stuff they didn't want out there yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question about the airing Schedule:

Spoiler

Did the Starlight&Discord episode air on TV yet?

EDIT: It did. In Australia.

This week’s episode, A Matter of Principals, involves Discord but also Starlight and the friendship school as well which aren’t exactly my cup of tea. But can Discord be able to carry it?

Erm, well, kind of? Not actually. So-so at best. I’d rather see the bogus journey the Mane 6 went on instead.

Thanks for AJ to state one of the reasons for this school should be shut down (and why I don’t like it) that it’s completely under staff along how it should interfere with their livelihood/careers and it still feels like a forced gimmick for friendship lessons.

Discord’s jokes were rather hit or miss. The only ones I found myself liking were his substitutes and the whole banana phone thing (surprised he didn’t sang it/Raffi style). Also, it felt like a What About Discord, an episode I’m not too fond of with bits of Make Friends But Keep Discord, just replace Twilight with Starlight. And Discord felt like he was falling back onto that kind of characteristic/regression.

Still indifferent about Starlight and again this feels like her What About Discord situation. Also, feel the same way about the Student 6 too. However, the thing that brought to my attention the most were the artifacts presented
right at the start of the episode. In the back of mind, it just screamed “Plot MacGuffin/Plot Devices” for some future finale/opening. Or worse possible “Elements of Harmony replacements” but I’m hope I’m wrong on that account since I’m still more attached to the Mane 6 than Student 6. Can’t we have more of the Pillars or Not Equal Town instead of them before series is done?

It’s a slightly better What About Discord, but it still not saying much. Still a meh episode.

11 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Apparently the Hearthwarmings episode aired today too. How was it?

In the middle of watching it since I wasn't aware til EQD mentioned it. Stupid schedule is stupid along with early airings in Australia. And I have to go to work in a few minutes and be back around 6:30pm.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, AdventChild said:

In the middle of watching it since I wasn't aware til EQD mentioned it. Stupid schedule is stupid along with early airings in Australia. And I have to go to work in a few minutes and be back around 6:30pm.

Okay. Hope you can get the most out of your watching.

I've read some reviews and it seems like an enjoyable episode. Surprisingly, Twilight seems to be better written than in Marks for Effort and it gave the Young 6 some focus for once. The only problem it seems is that the episode didn't really foreshadow the twist.

It’s a holiday themed one in August with Hearth’s Warming Club.

And it’s alright. Not as good as last one’s.

The main take away was learning about holiday traditions from other species and the moral and ending was fine.

Haven’t change my stance on the Student 6 though. But if you must twist my wrist the only ones I slightly lean towards to are Gallus and Sandbar.

Just a few hang ups though Sandbar’s joke story was weak, they could have put in a bit more detail into some traditions like the dragons, and it’s odd for Changelings, disguised ones that lived with ponies, don’t know about Hearth’s Warming. Also, the set up ‘Whodunnit?’ Plot felt kind of weak and somewhat unnecessary way to tell the stories and probably would have casual/slice of life plot without conflict to do so and for more detail.

An overall alright Hearth’s Warming episode.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, AdventChild said:

I’m still more attached to the Mane 6 than Student 6.

It's almost like they're the main characters. For eight seasons even.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, AdventChild said:

. Can’t we have more of the Pillars or Not Equal Town instead of them before series is done?

Spoiler

Eh....wait for it.

Also, "Not!Equal Town?".

On 8/4/2018 at 1:00 PM, RedFox99 said:

The only problem it seems is that the episode didn't really foreshadow the twist.

Yeah, I honestly didn't get that.

Without giving who it was away, they didn't really look the part from what I could tell, although I suppose the shot of them taking out the packet was probably blink-and-you-miss-it foreshadowing.

It probably didn't help that I saw a Youtube video with a certain thumbnail before realizing this aired.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Apparently Friendship University has been released.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Was debating on whether I should wait or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Was debating on whether I should wait or not.

Neighsayer returns but is only a minor character as he only appears in the beginning or so.

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Hide contents

Neighsayer returns but is only a minor character as he only appears in the beginning or so.

Oh, I saw a screenshot floating around. 

Thanks for the bait-spoiler, though.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Oh, I saw a screenshot floating around. 

Thanks for the bait-spoiler, though.

Yeah, I honestly can't say the writers are holding back on making ghe character unlikable.

I had a question for you guys: would you say that season 8 so far has been an improvement or not from 7?

19 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, I honestly can't say the writers are holding back on making ghe character unlikable.

His antagonism in the premiere was literally primarily driven by Fantastic Racism--ya think?

21 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I had a question for you guys: would you say that season 8 so far has been an improvement or not from 7?

I mean, I'd have to look back for proper context, but off the top of my head, yes-ish and not really.

Just now, DabigRG said:

His antagonism in the premiere was literally primarily driven by Fantastic Racism--ya think?

I mean, I'd have to look back for proper context, but off the top of my head, yes-ish and not really.

Touche.

I can't remember the reception of Season 7 aside from it being better than 6. 

Well, this new schedule has me all kinds of messed up atm because I had no idea 2 episodes aired yesterday (in the US mind you because lord knows I'll never be able to keep track of anywhere else). Gonna do a post on both.

A Matter of Principals was an interesting watch. There were a lot of neat animation tricks in this one (which is usually par for the course with Discord episodes). Seeing Starlight and Spike take charge was a very interesting turn of events to me (especially Spike who was the highlight of the episode imo). The student six also continued to interest me as their own dynamic continues to shine through in the small scenes they're given. There were also quite a few neat scenario elements and callbacks here. They've really done a great job at throwing in small continuity nods from across the entire show this season so far.

I guess my only problem with the episode is Discord himself. He's again being shown as more of a jerk than a friend. Yes it makes since to be hurt by not being invited to any of the school events but damn if his actions here weren't unjustified. Honestly, Starlight saying that she was sorry rubbed me the wrong way. She was just trying to do the hard job that she was asked to do and had every right not to trust Discord (both with his past and future record at that point). Of course there's a lesson here about not judging someone right off the back but damn was that message hard to get out of this with his actions.

So yeah, overall a neat episode with a very questionable moral. A lot of strong elements mixed in with a, if I'm being honest here, poor showing of Discord.

As for the second episode, The Hearth's Warming Club, we have yet another holiday episode aired way out of place in the year.

Anyways, I don't really have too much to say about this one. It was great seeing how the other creatures celebrate their respective holidays (especially with how they all matched how the show portrays them) but I sort of found the resolution to be a bit weird. I mean, looking back at the beginning of the episode you can sort of see signs as to who did it (they don't really smile through that whole beginning scene which is a neat touch) but it still felt a bit... idk, weak to me. Like, I would say that it's a neat, blink and you'll miss it, foreshadowing moment but knowing the character... you'd be hard pressed to just think that's their normal face. It just makes for a weak resolution and episode, specially compared to the other hearth warming episodes.

Eh, overall a nice little episode even with being a bit weak in the plot department imo.

41 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Touche.

I can't remember the reception of Season 7 aside from it being better than 6. 

I don't know if my 2 cents are really worth much considering how off I am with the fandom itself, but the emphasis on lore and arc building/welding was generally seen as an upside.

With that said, Is it bad that much of what I remember and occasionally gauge these later seasons by involves Starlight?

He more or less likes the episode and likes that the Young 6 were given development, to a degree. 

13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

With that said, Is it bad that much of what I remember and occasionally gauge these later seasons by involves Starlight?

Given how much the writers pushed her, not sure. 

i liked a matter of principals somewhat, discord just really annoyed me the whole episode to be honest. and the ending was sort of weird. but i really liked the hearth's warming club. to be honest, it made me a little emotional at the end cause i'm a big baby.

Oh, about Yakkity-Sax, all I will say is that the lesson/ending probably should've involved having Pinkie consider taking lessons and practicing somewhere private.

Otherwise, it was an alright-ish episode.

• Thumbs Up 1