Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Emperor Robrainiac, All too often, many roles Spike is in (primary and secondary) have him the victim of overly exaggerated comic hijinks. That trash called Just for Sidekicks and Owl's Well that Ends Well are two good examples (and another being slung from the floor in Act 3 of Castle Mane-ia). He's more than just a butt of jokes. He's a main character; his constant "comic relief" role reduces his dimensionality and stunts his growth from the pilot to now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since we all have lungs full of fresh pony air now, we can finally confirm with everyone that Rainbow Dash is indeed best pone. I'm so relieved and glad to see you all understand now, <3.

hOwwDfA.gif?1

Did you really think I'd let this slip on by?

Now that that's outta the way, I gotta say, I'm in 99% agreement with Mechano, I absolutely adored this episode because of my Rarity bias. The only thing I have to disagree with is the song. I liked it and Kazumi did a tremendous job as always, but I wouldn't put it up there with Art of the Dress or Becoming Popular. It was good, but not that good. I do like what he said about Generosity being comparable to Pinkie's Smile Song, as I think that fits quite well (even though it's nowhere near as good). I loved what they did with the reprise, though, and it's always nice to see wet mane Rarity.

Besides that, Mechano's post is virtually perfect and I couldn't have said it any better if I tried. Definitely one of my favorite episodes in the series.

Also, the Grumpy Cat cutie mark was unnecessary and stupid, so thank God that guy didn't have an important role and was only on screen for about 10 seconds.

• Thumbs Up 4

Again, I'm not understanding why 'Spikabuse' get so many people riled up, especially since in some episodes, the mane six have had their fair share of being the victims of slapstick and unfortunate luck. Yes, him being a butt monkey is kinda odd after the whole message of Power Ponies, but after three seasons I kind of figured people would be used to him being comic relief.

Why do people get irritated? Is it cause he's the only main male of the group? please explain this, cause I'm still confused by all this.

I had a much longer post typed up but it was getting really off topic so I'll just sum it up like this: If Applebloom or any other filly character were in Spike's  role through out the entire show and subject to the same physical jokes would it be as funny?

• Thumbs Up 2

I had a much longer post typed up but it was getting really off topic so I'll just sum it up like this: If Applebloom or any other filly character were in Spike's  role through out the entire show and subject to the same physical jokes would it be as funny?

Well, both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo got saddled with hauling Rarity's luggage in Sleepless in Ponyville, and I found those particular instances humorous. I think, despite how generous Rarity is, she may have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to manual labor. It's less intentional meanness and more of a failure on her part to realize the difficulty of the task given, particularly for children like Spike, Scootaloo, or even her sister.

The only instance of Spike being subjected to physical comedy that I absolutely loathed was in Winter Wrap-Up, when Applejack willingly lets a sleeping Spike drift away and eventually fall into a frozen lake. This is horrendously out of character, especially for someone as levelheaded and mature as Applejack, and differs from the luggage examples in that this was intentional meanness on another character's part. I think that's they key difference - A character who is innocently inconsiderate is different from one who is intentionally mean (Not that Applejack is that; I consider that scene in Winter Wrap-Up an anomaly and not in character for her).

RARITY TAKES MANEHATTAN:

* I love how Twilight looked so upset at Rarity for taking advantage of Spike, as if to say, "Bitch, that's my job."

* I can't tell you how hard I laughed at Rainbow Dash's line about ponies breaking into song and then right on cue... Rarity.

* Speaking of which, Rarity always has the best songs.

* Ashleigh Ball as Prim sounds like Applejack doing a Rarity impersonation.

* I know I've heard that light purple pony's voice bef-OMG IT'S LOLA BUNNY. (although apparently voiced by Ms. Germain as well)

* It's official, Coco Pommel is cutest pony.  Seriously... like, damn.

* Is it just me or was there A LOT of exposition in this episode?

* Even though Rarity is supposed to be seen as the one in the wrong when everypony is helping her, she actually does have a point.  Isn't friendship magic?

* Applejack's honesty. Ha.

* Ah, that's the epilogue style I know and love.

* Rainbow thread with all the stuff about Rainbow Ponies going around?  Oh, I'm sooooooo sure that's a coincidence.

515951__safe_animated_image+macro_spoile

Pretty good episode, but like I stated before, this season just really hasn't wowed me yet like previous seasons.  I still have hopes about the mysterious endings, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

coco_pommel_by_raikoh_illust-d70tbmu.png

Guys can we just talk about this pony, Coco Pommel, for a minute? Whenever I saw her she was the most cutest little assistant I have ever seen. I felt so sorry for her because she had to work for that pony bitch, Suri. I really loved the colors on her. It all seemed to just balance out. I think her personality made me like her. She kinda felt like Fluttershy to me, timid and shy, but also scared to work up the courage to confront Suri. 

• Thumbs Up 4

516050__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

This... actually doesn't look too bad, at least not as bad as the previous pics we've seen.

Lol, just look at Rainbow Dash, she just went straight up Super Sayian 3.

http://youtu.be/DseVVR4dn_w

516050__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

This... actually doesn't look too bad, at least not as bad as the previous pics we've seen.

Lol, just look at Rainbow Dash, she just went straight up Super Sayian 3.

http://youtu.be/DseVVR4dn_w

A guy on EqD seems to think that my stuff on DA is indirectly responsible for this. I dunno, maybe.

But it still looks underwhelming compared to mine. =/

Well I'm a bit late to the party with both my thoughts and a post in this new thread XD.

Well... I'll just go out and say that I loved this episode. Though, I'm hard press to really define why. I don't think my list format is going to do me much good this time around. This episode just carried a different feel from the previous episodes of the season and kept me fully engaged up until the end. Something I can't say the show has done for me since Sleepless in Ponyvile. I honestly didn't know what turns the episode would take throughout watching it. I loved the message and overall resolution of it (though I still don't know what to make of these endings) and every character just felt... well on character. Even Rarity who (for a moment) looses touch with her generosity just proved to be a refreshing look at a character who (for the most part up to this point) had been pretty by the books in her actions. There is something that always intrigued me about the characters when they loose touch with their elements (though only when it's done in a real way and not for comedic effect *cough*spikeatyourservice*cough*). Top it all off with another new and fantastic setting and this might beat out Flight to the Finish for my favorite episode of the season thus far.

Side Notes:

- I know it doesn't NEED to be said that DHX is doing a fantastic job with animation this season but man, I really hope this isn't the last well see of Manehattan. To think that this is still being mostly done in flash. It's just such a phenomenal feat.

- Yeah, didn't really think too much of the song this time around. It just came off as noise after a certain point in it. Hearts As Strong As Horses definitely still holds the spot for best song this season so far for me. Though, that reprise was pretty nice and the lead up to the actual song was probably the best lead up to a song the show has had. ever.

- RD calling AJ out on always being honest got a chuckle out of me.

- Is it just me or was that side designer pony that saved the day at the end (Coco Pommel is what people are calling her I think) very much like Fluttershy? Almost down to the voice to be honest.

- (nitpick) In that one scene when they're all helping out Rarity with making the dresses we see Fluttershy mess up with the stitching... wasn't she suppose to actually be some unspoken genius at the activity like in Suited for Success?

- What was with that rainbow gleam on the rope when Rarity looks out at the audience? Does it have something to do with the thread at the end? These endings are really getting weird.

Yep, definitely a good one in my book.

• Thumbs Up 2

- (nitpick) In that one scene when they're all helping out Rarity with making the dresses we see Fluttershy mess up with the stitching... wasn't she suppose to actually be some unspoken genius at the activity like in Suited for Success?

I don't think Fluttershy likes sewing machines all that much (I'm guessing she prefers sewing by hoof); she had a problem with Rarity using one on the hems of her Gala dress in Suited For Success after all.

It seems odd anyways, but it sort of makes sense I think (unless I'm missing something).

• Thumbs Up 2

Hahaha best episode of the season for sure

Song was amazing too, not sure what everyone didn't like about it. Was it because it was less pop-ish than Rarity's other songs??

Those Rainbow form ponies things make me gag. They look like those Bratz toy line shits, over-dipped in glitter and tattoo shits just for the same of over glamouring and more things to sell. I mean it's to be expected with Hasbro and all, but I feel like them trying to dip their hands in the show more and more is really obnoxious. At least the writers tend to pull it off in the show alright without breaking things, but still find it annoying. Equestria Girls, Crystal Ponies, and now these things.

Also kinda like Sean pointed out, I'm finding people are tending to not like the non-pop oriented songs less which is kinda disheartening. This one and the musical-esque song from Bats! were pretty fantastic and glad they kinda went a new route instead of the normal "let's try to simulate feelings displayed like in Winter Wrap Up." Those songs are great and all too, but I guess I fancy variety idk, especially when they still manage to be so awesome.

Anyway, I thought the episode was fantastic and enjoy this one and Scoot's episode the most so far this season. The new characters were charming, even if they were extremely minor. I liked that it emphasized Rarity's element finally, since that hardly seems touched on and I felt made her even more lovable as a character. Seeing them in the city outside a comic book was probably the best part for me, since it's generally fascinating to look around in the setting. Couldn't help but notice that all/most ponies in Manehatten were Earth Ponies as well, which was interesting. I hope it's trying to insinuate that maybe Earth Pony's speciality is being more mechanically inclined than the other races or something, since they've mostly seemed "boring" compared to their more fantastical counter parts. Maybe I'm looking to deep into it, but I guess that was the fun of the episode for me anyway.

So far this season I'm pretty rocked back and forth on episodes. Some I love to death, some are meh, and some I down right don't like at all. Not sure if it's the multiple writers or something, but I guess to say the least is that I literally have no idea what I'm in for with each week lmao.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again, I'm not understanding why 'Spikabuse' get so many people riled up, especially since in some episodes, the mane six have had their fair share of being the victims of slapstick and unfortunate luck. Yes, him being a butt monkey is kinda odd after the whole message of Power Ponies, but after three seasons I kind of figured people would be used to him being comic relief.

Why do people get irritated? Is it cause he's the only main male of the group? please explain this, cause I'm still confused by all this.

It was annoying when he got literally slapped around, started to feel neglected and then was blamed for responding badly to the treatment in that fucking owl episode. The passage of time since then doesn't make it any less annoying when similar situations repeat themselves. Particularly when the other characters get lip service towards character development (at least when it suits the writers) except when they are interacting with him, at which point the fact that he can be a punchline to a joke is the extent of his contribution to the story.

While I'll agree that the Spike abuse tends to be a bit excessive, the owl episode, he kinda brought it on himself when he got jealous and then tried to sabotage someone else .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly thought Owl's Well That Ends Well was a decent Spike episode, and didn't really portray him that badly. It followed the simple "[Central Character] displays character flaw X and learns lesson Y" formula that many episodes of the show do, and I think the important point is not that Spike was jealous or insecure, but that those feelings led to him learning an important lesson about himself and his significance to Twilight. Remember, too, Twilight herself says that Spike could never be replaced, even before the episode's climax. It was no Secret of My Excess or Power Ponies, sure, but I didn't think it was a bad episode at all.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't get how it's flaw for Twilight.

Much of their time interacting with each other in episodes portrays her as absent minded about her actions' effects on him to the point of complete obliviousness; even moreso than when she interacts with everyone else. That introverted nature was one of her defining personality traits before they started glossing over her flaws and pretending that doing so by itself counted as character development over the course of Season 3. Most of the time, that behavior when applied to Spike is played for laughs (usually in the "humorous injury" variety). She opens doors on him, makes him fall from high places, drops books on his head, etc. Not out of malicious intent, but merely because she doesn't notice what's going on beyond what's on her mind at that moment.

In fucking owl episode, not only was that aspect of their relationship played completely serious while at the same time trying to do the annoying slapstick schtick (leading to a completely schizophrenic pace); but her neglecting to take into account his feelings from the start was treated as entirely his fault even before he started acting out on them. She suddenly found a sidekick far more competent to what her needs tend to be when they interact then he was, and while she did say some variety of "you can never be replaced" even that was more of a dismissal of his concerns than a real attempt to assuage them. Coupled with the heavy handed letter at the end, the episode simply continued the poorly thought out "whoever Twilight says was wrong in this episode was wrong" morals that the Season One episodes tended to suffer from. It's rather telling (albeit greatly to the show's benefit) that fucking owl virtually disappeared entirely from the show until the end of Season 3 even as the other animals still had regular appearances of varying importance; and if I had to guess why it was because they realized the faux paus they made when initially introducing him in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not saying you're wrong because yes, Twilight neglecting Spike is a flaw of hers. But in this case, she got a new assistant to give Spike a break because he was so tired, and Twilight said she was angry at him, not because he was trying to get rid of owlicious, but because he lied to her.

Twi had Spike's interest at heart, and she only blew up at him when she felt he did wrong.

Of course, the entire thing could have been avoided if Spike hadn't assumed the worse from the getgo. But then there wouldn't be a plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

138904444809.jpg

Just like both the Gala and Alicorn Twilight the Rainbow Power seems to build up for the Season Finale.

138904444809.jpg

Just like both the Gala and Alicorn Twilight the Rainbow Power seems to build up for the Season Finale.

I'm interested to see if and how the cryptic endings will pile up for the Season Finale or later event.

A bit late since I was fighting a bad cold over the weekend, but my thoughts on this week's episode:

I thought this was a good episode! have to say the song is really catchy and I like that they did a reprise at the end too.

As for the episode itself, I think the funniest bit was how Rainbow commented on how they randomly break into a song and suddenly they do just that. I really like how they did not only Rarity's internal conflict with how she treated her friends, but her conflict with the antagonist of this episode as well. I also loved Applejack's brutal honesty as well. Now there's the element of honest we all know!

By the way, Coco Pommel is just adorable!

Edit: Forgot to mention to negatives of this episode:

First, I agree with everyone about grumpy pony. It was lame and it felt like something that was slapped on last minute. Personally I wish that meme would die already.

Second, it bugged me how Twilight was treated when she was denied a cab. It's one thing not to be too flashy with her being a Princess and all, but it feels like her status is being downplayed a lot. You'd think someone would notice with her being an alicorn and all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh and this is just one of the reasons why I haven't been watching MLP since Season 3. Rainbow Ponies! Hey, I bet they will only appear at the end of an epic finale episode for about...hmm, let's say 2 minutes tops.

And Grumpy Cat Pony? REALLY? -__- You know, I'd actually prefer seeing that Twilight love interest return from Equestria Girls. Bit stupid to introduce him in a movie and then never have him appear again, right?

And to think I used to love this show. Now I'm not sure if I do.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the Grumpy Cat pony... My thoughts on it?

Well, I'd never thought I'd quote or agree with a youtuber, but "Whatever happens on the internet should stay on the internet." Memes can be forced enough on the internet, but when it spreads to media, it's just a lame attempt at a pop culture reference, one that probably wont last that long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the Grumpy Cat pony... My thoughts on it?

Well, I'd never thought I'd quote or agree with a youtuber, but "Whatever happens on the internet should stay on the internet." Memes can be forced enough on the internet, but when it spreads to media, it's just a lame attempt at a pop culture reference, one that probably wont last that long.

Not to mention that particular meme has overstayed its welcome and will probably make this episode look dated in a few years time.