Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

I really enjoyed the season finale.  Definitely among the better of all the two-parters.  It just really felt epic overall.  Although, I got my hopes up for a Crush 40-esque battle song in that fight between Twilight and Tirek. sad.png  Oh well, at least Luna finally sang.  And am I the only one who thought that the Castle Of Friendship is kind of gloomy looking inside and out?

Now for the long wait for Season 5.  Wonder how that's gonna start out...

Also:

622842__safe_rarity_applejack_screencap_

KISS ALREADY

• Thumbs Up 3

Really enjoyed the finale. It had two full episodes to work with and sweet Kero, did they use 'em! Development for Discord, a cool new villain with some neat backstory stuff that can be expanded upon in Season 5, lots of continuity and cameos, a legit fight scene, nice songs, and a cool twist on the status quo for next season. (Love that each of the six (and Spike!) has their own place at the castle's table. It's like Princess Twilight and the Knights of Friendship up in here! XD) Thought the Rainbow Power designs were a tad goofy-looking, but that's a small gripe for an otherwise excellent finale. Definitely looking forward to what awaits in Season 5.

As for Season 4, it had a few "eh" episodes, but overall it's probably my favorite one since Season 2. Episodes like Pinkie Apple Pie, Pinkie Pride, Testing Testing 1-2-3, It Ain't Easy Bein' Breezies, Equestria Games, Maud Pie ("It tastes like apples" is still one of my favorite lines. XD), and a few others really brought back some of that MLP magic that was lacking in some of Season 3's episodes and I definitely can't wait for the chance to own all of them on DVD. :)

Oh wow, this show never ceases to surprise me. Well, time to finish my thoughts of this season. They really pulled out all the stops for this:

Pros:

- And here I thought Twilight being a princess wouldn't add anything good to her character...

-

*Initial reaction* Sweet Baby Jesus are they actually fighting?! They're actually fighting! Did Twilight just get thrown at and hit through a mountain!? I think she was! Holy shit this is fucking amazing!

Ok, those fighting scenes were pretty amazing. I knew from the first season that magical battles like this could be a thing but I never knew they would actually do it to this scale! If I went back in time and shown a season 2 version of my self this he would flip the fuck out.

- Some amazing songs in this...

- I really like this new villain. I wouldn't go as far to say he was my favorite but he certainly was impressively effective.

- A lot of jokes in this had me laughing out loud. Especially things like seeing Discord come in dressed like Marry Poppins and Twilight not knowing how to control that much magic.

- The working title for this two parter must of been "Continuity is Magic", because it certainly is here. They called all the way back to It's About Time! Not to mention the amount of other characters from the series brought back in the background.

- I love how the other mains weren't under or over played here. Just right in my opinion.

- The amount of shipping material here is off the charts. It's going to be a long drought with this kind of material.

- The princesses actually do something! *throws confetti*

- A'What up, Derpy!

- *gasp* L-Luna! You're here! And *double gasp* you actually have lines! Wait... Twilight is singing with you in the scene... now Celestia is joining in... this couldn't possibly mean that... *Luna starts to sing along* ... Ah... excuse me for a sec... *Walks out of room* *muffled screams of rejoicing*

And on that day MLP reached the 3rd level of my scale. 2 more and I can leave this show happy... and with a free cookie!

Cons:

- I really didn't like the way Discord was handled overall here. I mean, his little conversations with the main villain were some of the most interesting pieces of dialogue from the show thus far but I just don't like the way the episodes left him. To be honest, I was really hoping he'd have some sort of plan at the end and he wasn't just openly going against what he'd learned thus far but that was never the case. It just doesn't sit right with me that he (one of the most clever characters in the show) pretty much was messed over in his own department. I honestly don't know where they can take him from here.

- Not that I didn't think it was totally awesome either way, but that whole rainbow power did seem like just another deus ex machina like the elements were. I mean, I loved the build up for it throughout the season but I honestly did feel this way about it at the end.

- ... You know, after 4 seasons, I really am going to miss that tree library.

Side Notes:

- So, does Chrysalis not count as a powerful being/ Alicorn?

- You know, it was well explained why it didn't happen here, but I really wish that for once we could see Celestia and Luna fight and win.

- This is a very small note, but I'm actually disappointed that we haven't seen anything of the bat ponies since Luna Eclipsed.

- DHX is honestly trolling with Flash at this point. I don't mind if he's there, but if he is going to be at least build on his character.

So overall, those were some great episodes! Definitely the best of season 4 and even some of the best of the show for me. It's probably even my second favorite two parter thus far (just getting beat out by The Return of Harmony). It definitely ended season 4 on a great note for me and really leaves me looking forward to what's in store for the fifth!

My thoughts on season 4:

Wow... that was one crazy ride. I mean... what can I say that I haven't said thus far?... It had some of the best episodes in the series for me while also having some of the worst. It had some laugh out moments and some cringe worthy moments. It went above and beyond other seasons in some departments and fell in others... Though, one thing is for sure. I had one hell of a time with it! Every episode had something interesting to it and enough to make me look forward to the Saturday after! While I'm not sure about how it handled certain characters (especially the princesses and Discord) it definitely made me love some characters even more (the entirety of the mane six and Luna at the end). It introduced some bold ideas for a series like this and (for the most part) succeeded with flying colors (that last line was approved by FiW Rainbow Dash).

If you would had told me at the beginning of all this that this series would produce a season like this I would have been confused and had laughed a little at you. But this season showed a new side of the show that I hope is continued along with the other concepts that have and continue to make it great. While I wouldn't say it beats out season two for me, it definitely ties with season 1 and passes 3 in my book. Overall, this was another great season to a great show and I happily look forward to the next one.

As we enter yet another drought (my 4th one actually) I just have to say it's been a pleasure seeing all of you're reactions to the episodes. It's been and interesting and fun time and I hope you guys feel the same. Thanks for dealing and reading my Luna obsessive posts and I hope to continue these when the next season comes around. See you guys around the forum!

First Impressions of Twilight's Kingdom:

What I liked:

• The battle. Seriously, the best part of the finale and quite convincing.
  • Establishing continuity from It's About Time without being rammed over the head.
  • In some capacity, addressing the elephant in the room: Twilight's lack of role as princess throughout this season. And the fact she has a title and new home gives her some purpose. Maybe come season five, the writers won't ignore it. (Come the season review, I won't give DHX a pass.)
  • Referencing the keys and using them (plus referencing the bad key episodes like IAEBB and Rainbow Falls and other dumb episodes this season like Equestria Games).
  • Discord's hilarity from Part 1.
  • The songs are decently composed. (Not a fan of the line, "Your destiny's uncertain" or its double entendre: understandable in full context, but semi-retcons her purpose revealed in MMC.)
  • The fact that the key is Scorpan's pendent, which Discord gave. Reinforces the good Scorpan wanted to give.
  • Discord's now an official friend of Twilight, and I chuckled when he gave flowers to Celestia sincerely.

What I didn't like:

• The third act of Part 2 really raced through and felt rather stilted.
  • The main problem from this season reared its ugly head again here: WAY too much exposition.
  • How the AliTrio never went out to completely erase Twilight's presence. Yeah, it lead to the epic fight, but it was too contrived.
  • The designs of the Rainbow Power ponies are WAY too busy and rely on style over substance.

I don't know if I'll call it good, but it's definitely a two-parter I like so far. To make a more objective review, I'm re-watching the two-parter and taking notes.

• The fact that the key is Scorpan's pendent, which Discord gave. Reinforces the good Scorpan wanted to give.

Wait, wait, wait... Scorpan?

As in.... this guy?

Scorpan.jpg

From the 1984 BEHOLD THE POWAH OF DARKNESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! movie/mini-series?

Also... I saw a screenshot of the new Super Saiyan pony designs. Umm, I get it's to sell a new version of the toys, but those colour schemes were a bit... off. :s Like the designers either ignored or didn't know the colour wheel. Having said that, Rainbow Dash did look kind of awesome! :D Little 9 year old me would have liked a pony with that hairstyle! XD

I’m kinda mixed with the finale, felt somewhat borderline average/okay. 

I liked some of the Pinkie moments as well as the fight scene between Twilight and Tirek.

I also liked most of the Discord moments, but I still prefer him as a villain as he still remains my favorite villain for being more like Joker/Kefka Palazzo, charismatic, twisted and devious and I wish he still be that way just more manipulative within the shadows. Though I still hope something triggers him back to his evil form, or even twists his friendship lessons by ‘befriending’ past and future foes and builds some sort of Legion of Doom. Or maybe even develop a split personality like Gollum/Smeagle that forces and persuades himself to become evil again. (And please don’t let Discord/Celestia be canon. Wait…I wonder if this is a manipulation trick and getting close and cozy with the princess and strike back at the right moment! Maybe even <i>bug</i> her like a certain Changeling Queen). And speaking of which, I feel rather indifferent of Tirek since overall he’s just basically your typical power hungry villain, only just being a step up above Sombra. Also, he lost much of that dark and creepy touch after he’d grown stronger and became slightly less interesting. 

My stance on Twilicorn and the princesses haven’t changed much at all, still feels like toy propaganda, plot convenience/contrivance, Celestia clones, and the other three still feel under developed. Heck, the princesses form Adventure Time have more personality and character than them as well have their own episodes to develop. And my stance on the gaudy and colored business of Rainbow Power still remains and I would have preferred something like battle armor instead yet still thankful it wasn’t permanent. And I liked Twilight’s old library tree home than the castle that feels just really out of place in Ponyville and had a much better design and more fitting for Twilight too. I didn’t feel for any of the songs esp. the one at the end. Unless there is more to Tartarus, what we got felt kinda lackluster and that there didn’t seem much to the place and didn’t felt menacing or interesting. 

So overall this finale felt kinda mediocre with some good parts here and there with Discord and the fight scene, but the villain didn’t really interest me in the second half and felt just a notch above Sombra.

As I said before, for me, S4 shows improvement over S3 in some ways, but still not as up there as one and two because of how it had a sluggish start where Pinkie Apple Pie broke the mold of okay/average eps and fluctuated up and down from there. So the quality of S5 can go three ways at this point: improve from this one, stay static as S4’s or dip back down to S3’s or even lower. 

Like with S3’s season finale and despite the CMC and RD/Wonderbolt arcs, this finale feels like a series ending one than seasonal and makes a fifth one already like a stretch. Again, how much more friendship/life lessons can they squeeze out of the Mane Cast, CMC, and Spike at this point without risk of flanderization and OOC dumping? I think this could be a good time to have episodes to be more story/idea driven rather than character driven and to have side/background characters such as Big Mac, Vinyl, Lyra, Pipsqueak, and esp. the other princesses to have their own episodes as well. Also, the possibility of a time skip can be a bit tricky. If it is around the span of 2-5 years, with the Mane cast looking the same yet with the younger characters like the CMC and Spike looking more mature and slightly older than I’m fine with it. If the span is in the double digits, 10 and over, then it feels like it is stretching it quite a bit. 

So with a long wait now and definitely is a ‘wait and see’ game, I can’t help by feeling slightly worried and cautious about S5. 

The season finale left me in a drunk stupor on how awesome it was. It dragged out in the beginning, then it started getting good towards the middle/end. I really can not wait for Season 5 in 2015.

I think this video is relevant 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tGsl2TCSQ 

Also, remember the library. RIP Sweet Prince 

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, now there's a way to end the season with a bang! =O

That was a surprisingly intense season finale, and a lot of fun as well. I've always loved it when shows or games bring back classic characters so seeing a new incarnation Tirek was a very pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, he wasn't as scary as his G1 incarnation, but he was threatening nonetheless.

Admittedly, I wasn't excited about Discord's appearance, since the pop culture riddled "Three's a Crowd" kinda ruined the character for me. Heck his entance made me groan a bit, impersonating Mary Poppins and George Patton... But thankfully, the pop culture references were toned down much more for this episode, and it was pretty neat to see him turn to the dark side again if for a little bit, even if his turn was as rushed as his redemption in "Keep Calm and Flutter On."

Dat fight scene with Twilight Sparkle and Tirek tho. Nuff' said.

But disappointingly, as with most of the season finales, the Dues Ex Machina saves the day, and time, once again. Oh well. It was a fun ride.

But surely I can't be the only one who's saddened about the destruction of Twilight Sparkle's Library? It was one of my favorite houses of the mane six...

RIP Golden Oaks Library: 2010-2014

Without a doubt, this is my favorite season finale of the entire show, and while it doesn't quite reach favorite episode status, it's definitely in my top ten. I'm going to try to break this up as best as I can, because there was a lot that I liked about this one.

"You'll Play Your Part" is a beautiful song. The instrumentation, the vocals, all of it just blends together so nicely, and I've already re-listened to it a bunch since the episode aired. Of course, finally hearing Luna sing was a treat as well. It's a good lead-in to the episode, and definitely addresses concerns about Twilight's title lacking purpose.

Next up, Tirek. Having seen Rescue at Midnight Castle already, I was really looking forward to Tirek's G4 counterpart, and he did not disappoint. I think the decision to have him start off as a shriveled old man, gradually regaining his power (and size) as the episode progressed, was brilliant. I also like that Tirek is so manipulative, and isn't just a super-strong powerhouse. Take note, King Sombra, this is how you do a super-serious MLP villain.

And of course, the polar opposite of super-serious villains, Discord. I'm going to say right now that while this is Twilight's episode, Discord absolutely stole the show for me. Every second of his time onscreen was a joy to watch, and I found myself genuinely invested in his character progression throughout the episode. His betrayal and subsequent redemption are surprisingly touching, and I can safely say that I now find Discord's role as a good guy to be truly believable. 

I'd be remiss not to mention Twilight Sparkle, of course. While the fight scene was awesome, it was also far from her best moment here. More than physical strength, Twilight showed incredible inner fortitude, choosing to do the right thing and save her friends, even at the cost of her magic. That she specifically rescued Discord was wonderful, and touches on the show's themes of friendship and forgiveness, earning her the final key to the box.

I suppose I need to comment on Rainbow Power, and... honestly, it doesn't look that bad. The colors are a little wonky (especially on Applejack), but I enjoyed it overall, and was glad to see the mane six take Tirek down together, as a team. I'm fine with the new castle too. Yeah, I'll miss the library, but eh; I'm just gonna enjoy this ride, wherever it takes us!

The closing song, "Let the Rainbow Remind You," was also nice. Giving us a little montage of all the key-bearing characters from the season, the song reminds us of the past, and paves the way toward the future of the series. Having ended on an extremely high note, I'm definitely looking forward to what season five has to offer!

• Thumbs Up 4

Even after the awesome finale and this being a really strong season, I think I'm always going to remember it for the Cheese Sandwich episode more than anything else. It was just so awesome seeing one of my favorite people ever guest star in the show, and it was a really good episode regardless of his presence. Plus those songs, MMMM. I think we should revisit Super Duper Party Pony, just as we remember it...

Yep. Exactly as remembered.

Gonna miss that library. Still, we gotta live life through thick and thin. I have to admit, dat Twilight vs. Tirek sequence, she showed what she's made of, hadn't gotten this excited since Celestia tried to open Nightmare Moon's heart from the season opener. Now with the upcoming seasons and another EQG, this ride won't stop anytime, possibly endless! Okay I'll stop my dear friends-*brick'd*

Anyway, a late Happy Mother's Day from me.

mothers_by_fuzon_s-d7idgvz.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Urgent question: I'm playing the MLP videogame for android on Bluestacks. I'm using the gems to play Balloon Pop and try to win some of those characters, if I don't win anything decent, I can just close the system and when I open it again I still keep my gems.

Now... I've won Dr.Hooves, Snails, Photo Finish and Daring Do (some very minor ponies have shown up in balloons sometimes but I refused them) , does the fact that I got these 4 character increase the percentual of winning the remaining prizes? Namely Princess Celestia?

I thought so at first, but I might be wrong, it looks like the chances are still the same, because I've tried 30 times but nopony has shown up...

I reeeally want to get Celestia, and paying 430 gems is just ridiculous.

Friends Forever #5, starring Fluttershy and Zecora, was released today!

When the animals start talking inexplicably, Fluttershy goes to see Zecora for help, and together the two run a series of tests to determine whether Fluttershy's hallucinating or the critters have actually gained speech. Hijinks ensue for a while, but then we get a plot twist by learning that....

The animals are talking thanks to Discord, who temporarily granted them the ability to speak back to Fluttershy in her own language as a present for his friend.

Double spoiler for adorable panel:

IC5C3Zo.jpg

Seriously, this is one of my favorite friendships in the entire series. Good job, writers.

The comic was really cute, and it was great to see Zecora finally get (or at least co-star in) a focus issue of her own. She definitely had some great lines here, and Fluttershy didn't disappoint either. The surprise appearance from the special guest (see spoilers) was also great.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I just discovered the song that started off the "Who's a silly pony?" thing for Applejack. 

It must be bad that what I love the most about it isn't the fact it's a daft Applejack song, but how much it has in common with Jona Lewie's Stop the Cavalry. I think it might have a slightly stronger ska influence or something to add. It's just so very...80's British synth. And since it was recorded in County Durham, it's Northern 80's British synth. Great cheese combo.

Applejack got her Rainbow Rocks video awhile ago, so I figured I's post it here in case someone missed it.

Guest starring Flim and Flam!

• Thumbs Up 5

So Silly Filly Studios just released another episode of animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL4q7BBzanI

I actually found this to be pretty well done (a definite step up from Snowdrop). It's nice to see Luna and Celestia in this kind of light and is something I wish the show would do more often (hell, more screen time in general would be nice). Not to mention some of the interesting head cannons it introduces and the fight sequences.

• Thumbs Up 2

Applejack got her Rainbow Rocks video awhile ago, so I figured I's post it here in case someone missed it.

Guest starring Flim and Flam!

Bass, eh? background instrument for a background character ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I just starting watching MLP last night, saw the first episode, thought it wasn't bad at all. Based on what I heard, the show isn't as good as it used to be since Lauren Faust left production (thanks to the suits). Has the show really become a shell of what it could've been if Faust had stayed?

So I just starting watching MLP last night, saw the first episode, thought it wasn't bad at all. Based on what I heard, the show isn't as good as it used to be since Lauren Faust left production (thanks to the suits). Has the show really become a shell of what it could've been if Faust had stayed?

I wouldn't say so, really...the second season was fantastic (it's my favourite MLP season of all!) and that was done right after Lauren Faust left. The third season on the other hand isn't so great mainly because it's very short, introduced Twilicorn which certainly broke the fandom in two with people either loving it or hating it, and straight after that we got Equestria Girls. >>

As for the fourth season? I haven't seen much of it but that got mostly mixed reviews, with some episodes being great while others were mediocre. Now that there's going to be a fifth season, I have a feeling that will be the last one since MLP's popularity has faded somewhat over the years. Could be wrong though because there's also the Equestria Girls movies that are coming out yearly, ugh.

The recent episodes are very hit or miss IMO, and there starting to throw in quite a bit of pop culture references (The comics are much worse in that field, with Mario and Luigi ponies actually playing a role in one issue,) and stuff for bronies. For me, it really seems that the show runners are having trouble trying to balance stuff for older fans and the original demographic of little girls. Equestria Girls is probably the biggest example of this problem.

Though personally, Season 2, the season where Lauren Faust started to become less involved, is probably my favorite. Season 1 is good, but it felt very safe and took less risks than the second season did. 

I'm not as into the show as I used to be. I mean, I love watching it with fellow fans of the show, but near the end of season 4, some of the negativity surrounding the final episodes were starting to make me lose my interest.

• Thumbs Up 1