Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

I must say, that was a pretty good albeit rather deep opener for this season! I was not expecting communism (or equalism?) and Orwell vibes coming from a children's cartoon of all things. 

I really felt that a 2-parter was complete even though the bad pony got away. The one thing that bothers me though is how Starlight was able to overpower an alicorn's magic and remove her cutie mark, strength, AND magic all at once. I thought the stick would be some super ancient relic, but no it was the unicorn's magic that had something to do with it. I'm really curious as to how she got that power, but I feel it'll be revealed in time as I don't think that's the last we see of her.

I chuckled when Rainbow Dash was going on this adventure (Applejack too maybe?) because of the danger, but she barely did a thing! It was also funny that RD was expecting a fight under this one pony's basement, haha. Surprisingly, there's wasn't too much fighting going on, which was fine by me.

Seems like anyone whose name involves a Star/Time of Day/Twinkling ends up being really powerful in some form or fashion. Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, Starswirl the Bearded...

This was kinda underwhelming for me.

Maybe it’s the fact that I’m suffering from some kind of ‘jet lag’ due to the hiatus and getting more into other shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls or that Hasbro revealed much of the plot that I could predict most of it or that I’ve been mostly interested in the Discord and Smooze episode more so than this or that this season’s theme being Cutie Mark Magic has me slightly disinterested in.

This season’s opener felt kinda average and weak honestly.

Well, let’s cut to the chase about the episode. First and foremost, Castle Plot Device leads the Manes to an unnamed town that makes Appaloosa look like Canterlot in comparison. I mean I know it’s the point to make the town that way, but still doesn’t leave much of an impact and even with ‘creepy smiles’ I feel unfazed by it.  

As for Starlight Glimmer, she’s meh esp. if she is going to be the recurring villain for this season. There are a few problems I have with her. The name is one as she obviously is meant to be a foil to Twilight in terms of leadership/ruling like Sunset Shimmer being a foil in terms of Celestia’s student and with Trixie with magic. She also seems to be less intimidating and threatening than the other villains on the show and less interesting as well. Not to mention being somewhat generic near the end of being a control freak and wanting more power over others ala more equal than the rest. Then there is the magic concept surrounding the cutie marks being taken away which doesn’t seem as impressive as shapeshifting or reality warping. Maybe we’ll learn more about her in the future but I tend to agree that she seems to be more of a minor villain like Trixie or Flim Flam at this point or a possible sidekick villain to greater evil at season’s end. Speaking about Cutie Marks, why do I have this ominous feeling that SG’s downfall will be the CMC? Eh.

Also, am I the only one who is getting bored/burn out by unicorn antagonists? I mean there are plenty of them despite some being reformed like Trixie, Sunset, Flim Flam, Sombra, etc. Can you think of any Pegasus villains/antagonists other than Shadowbolts and Lightning Dust or any Earth pony antagonists that are more than just schoolyard bullies and henchmen? Yeah, thought so. Don’t see why not Twilight can have a foil or rival that is other than an ali/unicorn. Heck, all-around I would like to see more Pegasus and earth pony villains in the future.

Are there things I like in this?

Yes with mostly Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy being the one to expose SG’s ruse, more interested in the 8 ancient artifacts mentioned that may or may not play a role later in the series (willing to bet the comics will cover this more) and that the episode is actually well paced in this one. Well, not so much in the end with the chase scene where the minor character ‘B Team’ was introduced in an awkward and rushed fashion. Not to mention have rehashed personalities like Party Favor = Not Cheese Sandwich/Pinkie Pie and Night Glider = Not Rainbow Dash. They didn’t seem at all interesting either.

A weak two parter but not all a terrible one. Just meh/okay for me.

Hmm, so. New villain basically

-wanted all ponies to be equal(might as well make them all earth ponies while you're at it)

-forcefully removes their special talent

-took over a town

-is the only known unicorn to have the power to remove cutie marks

-lied about being equal

-her insincerity was revealed by washing paint off of her

-she gets away

Starlight Glimmer is pretty much Amon.

That said, this season premier was better than the last two season premiers. High hopes for season 5.

• Thumbs Up 3

I interrupt my murder of this thread to post this!

I just finished scoring episode 100 of MLP FiM. It came out great! There is a neat instrumental set piece featuring Tina Guo on cello. Rockin'! Airs June 13th I believe. And I am doing the third EG movie, which is called "The Friendship Games." Life is busy and fun!

It came out great! There is a neat instrumental set piece featuring Tina Guo on cello. Rockin'!

featuring Tina Guo on cello

cello

195353__safe_rainbow+dash_animated_scrun

Anyway I'd also like to comment about this scene of the premier:

864872__safe_applejack_animated_screenca

I love this so much... There was NO reason for AJ to do this but I think after the awful day she's been having and that feeling of helplessness she had without her CM (and we know how Apple Pone feels when she can't back up that image of reliability everypony has of hers)  she probably needed to vent up some anger.

Look at how she smiles when she breaks the vase! How accomplished she feels for the property damage! She was in full ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ mode here. XD

So for this week, Applejack is best pone.

• Thumbs Up 8

Got some more info here, Gato~

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/04/more-on-episode-100-revealed-from-tina.html

The 100th Episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic airs on June 13, and Octavia has a huge Electric Cello Dubstep situation in the episode! Cello Guo had an awesome time working with composer William Anderson on the score, it will be airing on the Discovery Family Channel

• Thumbs Up 3

870534__safe_twilight+sparkle_spike_prin

When you're rife with devastation
There's a simple explanation:
You're a toymaker's creation
Trapped inside a crystal ball

And whichever way he tilts it
Know that we must be resilient
We won't let them break our spirits
As we sing this silly song

So... Who's ready for some more pone today? We have arrived to an a lot of people were waiting for, one that addresses one of the issues people had with the S4 finale and according to Meghan, one that will give us "teh feelz".

Which I'm not feeling, because 1) Meghan tends to overhype some things and 2) On a land with magic everywhere and a reality warper running wild on your side then the property damage doesn't feel of much consequence, that's without taking into consideration that Ponyville gets blown up into little bits on a near weekly basis and it's fine on the next week, not even Golden Oaks was free from this reset button... Yet it seems like it stopped working right now.

If the writers are smart they are going to play this out not as Twilight having to move out because the tree exploded, but having to move on because she is on a new stage on her life, one that she can't go back from. If they don't... Well... Maybe I shouldn't be thinking too much about cartoon logic on the first place.

Party pooping aside, I feel like I'm going to like this one, here's hoping those paragraphs above are the only negative things I have to say about the episode.

Okay, is it me or are the references getting a bit ham-fisted now?

I'm not sure what you mean?

Like, this episode is entirely about Twilight's memories of her old library and her friends. It'd be kind of impossible not to reference older episodes, assuming that's what you meant.

This wasn't a bad episode at all. I'm glad that the rest of the group realized their mistake on their own even though it was very sweet of them to try and come together to help Twilight. I have to admit the part where we got to the see the leftover tree was a pretty emotional scene and it's a shame that they had to tear down what was left of it. You honestly can't blame Twilight for missing her old home and not being as eager to go back to the castle.

However, that chandelier from the rest of the girls was very sweet and those callbacks to the previous episodes was this one's biggest strength.

I have to say Pinkie has really been in top form so far and I hope she keeps it up! Spike also had some great moments too. I absolutely love his bluntness and it's definitely one of the biggest strengths of his character.

All in all, the new writers did a pretty good job. The song was decent and this a good start to our slice of life episodes for this season.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Quite enjoyed this slice of life episode. Though, I don't really have that many stand out points for it (good nor bad). It was verily by the books and had me entertained till the very end. It was emotional where it needed to be and was comedic and fun everywhere else. I love how each of the mane six (minus Twilight of course) brought something to the table here. Another clear example of how these different personalities might not work out on first glance, can work together for a great end result. This episode did a really good job highlighting these traits of the show. Though, some of those decorations were a bit... out there. I mean seriously, who the hell just dumps dirt everywhere AJ? Apple Horse being by the script apple horse again I guess

Also, really loved how they handled Spike in this. Though I did find his last lines in regards to not seeing anything done to the castle at first to be a bit too blunt, he really carried his own here. Also, that spa scene was just absolutely fantastic. Had me down right laughing out loud. XD Add in the spectacular animation (as usual) and the pretty catchy song and I just mark this one up as another winner!... You know, as much of a winner as you can be without Luna. >:V

• Thumbs Up 1

The episode started poorly for me, once the plot was revealed it was rather obvious where things were going and all I could think was, "What a lame idea for an episode."  Thankfully, thanks to some great dialogue and humor, the episode was actually a lot of fun.  I also loved that Aloe finally talked... even if her voice was a little weird.  And, of course...:

medium.gif

(OH) YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAH!

I guess they weren't kidding about the background ponies this season.

• Thumbs Up 3

When the Golden Oaks Library was destroyed in last season’s finale, I honestly felt a bit pissed than I was sad. It was a staple that matched Twilight’s bookworm persona as well as a landmark that was created during the Faust era and survived. And it was destroyed to make room for Hasbro’s gaudy princess product placement. It just made me mad more than sad.

Speaking of sad and as I mentioned long ago, I really don’t get much of the ‘feels’ from FiM than I do with other toons like Adventure Time and especially Steven Universe where there it is so much well written and has proper execution. Heck, the last few minutes of SU’s Rose’s Scabbard I actually cried because of how much thought is put into it. So this I predicted that this episode wouldn’t have much an effect on me emotion wise and at best, leave me kind of upset.

My thoughts about the castle are that they could go two ways with this. One would be giving us back the tree library and use the castle for emergency situations. Two would be that they renovate and refurbish it inside and out to make feel homely for Twilight and make it feel more naturally a part of Ponyville than something that forced in from the Crystal Empire which would be the most likely thing.

Now these are just some pre-episode thoughts.

What do I think of the episode after watching it?

Eh, it was just okay, but a couple of glaring problems which I’ll get to later.

First, some the things I like were sleep depraved Twilight, most of Pinkie-ism with hidden party canons, and Bulk Biceps.

The plot of the story was paint by numbers with the Manes decorating with how they wanted to be and not how Twilight would want it and arguing happens. This was irksome for me because you think her friends would have known what kind of pony Twilight is for being a scientific bookworm and knowing that she lived in a library for nearly five friggin years right from the get go. Yet the writers had to toss everypony the Idiot Stick for this plot to work.

The song was pretty meh, weak and repetitive even the reprise at end, nothing special compared to better songs prior.

The resolution was fine I guess, but somehow felt kind a cheap and I was hoping for more renovations and differences. I hope that this isn’t the last of improving the castle because it still feels like a gaudy eyesore and I’m not too accepting of it either. Again, I hope later down the line/series that we get to see more renovations that give it a more homely and library feel, inside and out.

Until then, tree library > castle.

I enjoyed the episode, and I thought the resolution was fitting.  I was kind of hoping Twilight would've taken up regrowing the Golden Oaks Library as small hobby or something though... maybe she will, who knows?  I think it'd be good for her.

I was laughing at Spike trying to get a bed though.  You're sleeping in your shitty basket and you're going to like it.  New castle be damned.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought it was a really sweet episode although it was pretty predictable. The song was admittedly a bit bland but it was still nice to hear the girls singing again after such a long break. In comparison with the other third episodes of each season it's my second favorite, below Lesson Zero but on par with Too Many Pinkies for different reasons.

Spike was great this episode, I like when he's the brutally honest voice of reason. I was a little annoyed that after 4 seasons her best friends didn't think to immediately fill her house with books but at least they realize their mistake after the song. The castle still isn't as cozy as the library but I wasn't as disappointed as other people were when it was destroyed and never expected any drastic changes anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

*YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.gif*

That moment gave me some serious Ren & Stimpy flashbacks, only the TV-Y rating stopped Bulk from carrying Spike with his buttcheecks :U

Anyway, I really enjoyed that episode, as I mentioned before the only negative thing I have to say is what I mentioned in the previous post but besides that the humor and the characters were on top form as far as I'm aware (albeit a little carried on the moment as soon as Twi told them they'd know what she likes).

Some special points I'd like to talk about, first of all lets give some props to the DHX team for the animation on this series, just check the jump from...

Season 1

medium.png

To Season 5:

medium.png

Kudos to Grieffon at Derpi for pointing this out.

Another thing I kinda liked about this episode is how Rarara was the one who knew what she was doing (it's kinda her job after all) and while not on Twilight's taste, you got to admit that this...

VNLB4M8.png

... Looks pretty good, shame her attempt to decor the main room had to be mixed up with the others... But this DOES make me curious about what the rest of the cast did on the other rooms, I really want to see the Apple kitchen and the stuffed animals, I can only hope we'll get to see them at some point. (as well as some random party cannon going off at some point)

Another thing I liked about this episode was Twilight, Twi was barely there in season 4 and I'm so glad this episode gave me so many fun moments with her, I really hope this keeps going. Pinkie was another character I loved here, the voice delivery makes such a difference between the moments I love her and the ones I don't, Andrea hit almost all the right notes here, also this moment had me laughing for a while.

Speaking about purple smarts, a lot of fans pointed out as a flaw that none of her friends thought of making anything book themed or related for her, but there is a good counterpoint for this (albeit not very well elaborated on the episode)...

1) The library is not only Twilight's home, but also Spike's. The whole scene with the scorched remains of Golden Oaks pointed this to us and the final present the 5 friends did for Twily also counts as a present for the dragon as a plus since the memories of the place is a treasure that both can appreciate (unlike books, which Spike isn't as much as a fan of as purple smart).

2) Speaking of the books. Twi already has those, she has a library, it was shown to us on Rainbow Rocks and was mentioned on this episode as well and to be honest whatever their friends could pick as a story for her might not be on her interest (unless ti's a fiction which seems more than one of the mane 7 share that liking)

3) There was this episode on Season 4 called "Trade Ya!" that used this topic as well, Twi was supposed to get rid of a lot of books but after Pinkie reminded her about all the good memories that were attached to them the alicorn decided to keep them with her (and might have developed a bit of a hoarder mentality at the same moment >_>), this little detail was also another reason as to why the destruction of Golden Oaks hits so hard since it came after this realization. So once again, restoring those memories and bring them to Twi's new place sounds like a very awesome present to me.

To add to all of this, I'm starting to think that this memory roots are going to be the new Letters/Book thingy to deliver aesops, I really hope I'm right on this one.

So to conclude, I liked this one, it made me laugh, it made me feel (Happy feels mind you, not the ones I expected to have but there were feels none the less) and Rara is still best pone.

871677__safe_rainbow+dash_rarity_animate

• Thumbs Up 8

A new soundtrack, Songs of Harmony, has arrived on iTunes! It finishes up the rest of Season 4's tunes (minus Pinkie Pride for probably Weird Al-related reasons) as well as a Season 2 song that was oddly missing from the previous releases and a new mash-up between Winter Wrap-Up and True True Friend. LE TRACK LIST:

1.The Perfect Stallion

2. Generosity

3. Bats

4. Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic

5. You'll Play Your Part

6. Glass of Water

7. Music in the Treetops

8. Find the Music in You

9. Let the Rainbow Remind You

10. True True Friend Winter Wrap-Up

Always nice to see more official music releases. A bit bummed that Pinkie's Lament was left out, but hey, they're probably planning on a special release of all of Pinkie Pride's songs in one album once they work out a deal with Weird Al, so I'll be patient. Definitely interested in getting high quality versions of Generosity and Bats, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey gang! I'm happy to announce the 5th My Little Pony song soundtrack is now available in iTunes stores around the world!!

This album brings us mostly up to date for major songs of Seasons 1-4 of Friendship is Magic. You may note it doesn't include any of the 5 remaining songs from Pinkie Pride, but fear not, they will be released eventually (as far as I know), on a separate compilation. The bonus track is a special project I embarked on with Hasbro to create a mash-up of two popular existing songs from the series. Special thanks go to Trevor Hoffmann for his work on the vocal arrangement.

If there are any other songs you think we're missing let us know! Now you can enjoy these fully re-mastered mixes free of SFX and in their original form. Cheers!

~Daniel Ingram on Facebook

So, yeah, the Weird Al songs are coming.  Glad to get Bats and DIscord's water song out of this one.

Just had a FiM episode idea (well if death becomes a theme allowed by Hasbro or else this is basically one idea for a dark fic):

Peaceful Rest Valley (arc)

The Cutie Map brings the Manes and Spike to a town that seems to have no problems whatsoever. Everypony seems to be living peacefully without any kind of conflict at all, including the mayor. No signs of mind control or even foul play esp. on the surface of it all. It feels like Ponyville 2.0. However, a number of encounters and things that the Manes discover in town say that something darker is hidden beneath.

Pinkie Pie overhears a bunch of fillies and colts singing songs that her deceased granny sang to her, word for word. Not to mention that the local bakery uses similar recipes as granny’s.

RD encounters Turbulence (nicknamed Turbo Lance), a Wonderbolt member in the local watering hole; he even lends a hoof in helping her and even suggesting of creating a Wonderbolt subdivision too. She should be excited and fan-girling in seeing one of her idols, right? So why instead does she has this feeling of dread and nervousness when seeing him? Well, a few years back, this wonderbolt was involved in a fatal accident during a stunt show. How is he here in the flesh?

Fluttershy’s visit to the animal shelter there reunites her with long dead animal friends she recognized when she was first starting out in Ponyville.

Rarity describes the cemetery “as vast as the ocean itself. Like everypony that has ever lived was buried here.”

Also, is it just her or has AJ really been seeing a couple in town that looks exactly like her parents?

After taking in all these accounts from the Manes and much to her horror, Twilight concludes that some pony or ponies are doing forbidden dark magic known as necromancy. Her fears are further confirmed when she gets Celestia to investigate the Canterlot cemetery on gravesites with matching names, only to discover that both coffin and corpse has gone missing.

Things get further complicated when an underground group that follows the Apocalyptic Horse named Death comes into play.

On saturday it's Bloom and Gloom.

"Apple Bloom cannot get the prospect of finally receiving her Cutie Mark out of her thoughts and the increasing pressure she begins to feel results in numerous anxieties that threaten to turn a special day into a nightmare."

On saturday it's Bloom and Gloom.

"Apple Bloom cannot get the prospect of finally receiving her Cutie Mark out of her thoughts and the increasing pressure she begins to feel results in numerous anxieties that threaten to turn a special day into a nightmare."

Oh wow, they're doing an anxiety episode. Hope they can pull it off.

It wasn't communism, it was more cult-like. But I guess it could look like communism in a certain light.