Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

I got into a loooooooong debate with like, three people on the old forum I used to use about this very subject, and I'll admit that I was convinced that there is a lot of merit to it not being a political soapbox episode - and I was initially irritated with the fact it tried to teach a political message and did so in a way that portrayed one as inherently good and the other as inherently bad. Still kind of irritated, because I'm not fully convinced it wasn't trying too hard to be deep and political, and if it wasn't then I'm just annoyed that they weren't careful with their implications at all. I still dislike the episode, but I digress on that point - there is a lot of merit to it not being about communism, I feel.

Someone told me that it's very possible they were going for a more philosophical stance, and it made a lot of sense to me - I'll just slap what they said themselves here because I don't feel like reiterating it myself.

I don't think it was going for a political message. It was going for a philosophical one.

Yes equality is good and everyone should have the same opportunities as everyone else. But this was about repressing people from being their very best. You shouldn't hold back someone from expressing their gifts, passions, and beliefs because of the chance that someone else will feel inadequate, feel jealous, or dislike/disagree with them.

As an artist for example, there are always people better than me. But there's also someone worse.

You should build up those who want to get better, not tear down the ones already suceeding because it's "not fair".

Now, am I fully convinced it wasn't trying to be political? Not at all. But after seeing this, I do feel there to be a good chance that they were going for something to show that it was wrong to hold back others from success based on the stance of not everyone being able to achieve the same things.

If that's the case, though, the writers should be more careful with their implications. Very, very easy to connect a strong political message with this episode, and I still do kind of feel they were heading in that direction.

A clip of tomorrow's episode is now up:

Also, synopsis of some future episodes have been revealed courtesy of zap2it.

Tanks for the Memories

Rainbow Dash sets out to keep winter from coming after learning Tank must hibernate during winter.

• Thumbs Up 2

large.jpeg

those bastards tricked us

it didn't mean anything at all

Cute episode though.  At the very least, I'm glad Babs got her cutie mark.

Also, more Luna is never a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked this episode! It was hinted at that Princess Luna was going to appear in Apple Bloom's dream as she did with the other two CMC, but the biggest surprise was Big Mac actually talking even if it was a dream sequence along with Babs Seed getting her cutie mark. I actually hope she comes back to show off what her talents are.

The writers made some great nods towards both Inception and Groundhog Day. I also thought it was pretty cool that Princess Luna has the ability to show other dreams. We also got some more insight as to what the CMC really want to be good at. It's been hinted at many times, but now we got a much more clearer picture of it.

One last thing I noticed is how Michelle Creber's voice sounds older. Before I'd mainly hear it in Scootaloo's voice and a bit in Sweetie Belle's voice as it didn't crack as much, but this time, I can definitely hear it Apple Bloom's voice.

those bastards tricked us

it didn't mean anything at all

Cute episode though.  At the very least, I'm glad Babs got her cutie mark.

Also, more Luna is never a bad thing.

I'm gonna get some mileage out of that screenshot >8D

Haven't seen the episode yet since I'm being bombarded with work but... Yeah I kinda saw that coming the moment I heard there was another dream episode...

I'm still very buttmad about it tho D8<

#SweetieBestCrusader

EDIT: Wait, Babs got a mark? >_>

Groundhog Day's finally over! :D

So far, I like the episode. Apple Bloom's worries make sense given her status as a child and the offscreen twist. But after the first nightmare, it got really repetitive thanks to the Three Strikes format. Right now, I would rank it the worst S5 episode. Not bad, but not entirely good, either. It's about average.

EDIT: Wait, Babs got a mark? >_>

876920__safe_screencap_cutie+mark_babs+s

Yeah, Applebloom got a letter from her in the very beginning of the episode.  She's a mane stylist apparently.  She's always blowing her mane out of her face, so I guess she decided to do something about it and *poof*.

*Snips*

She's a mane stylist apparently.  She's always blowing her mane out of her face, so I guess she decided to do something about it and *poof*.

uoDumOt.gif

That's... Uuuuhhh...

Is this the first time we broke the Cutie Mark->Name convention? I mean on an important character, the only ones who come to mind right now are Fancy Pants and Coco. (and those are arguable)

That's... Uuuuhhh...

Is this the first time we broke the Cutie Mark->Name convention? I mean on an important character, the only ones who come to mind right now are Fancy Pants and Coco. (and those are arguable)

Pinkie Pie, I think? I mean, her mark is balloons and is basically about parties / making others happy / etc. even if she's also good at baking. She's the first one who comes to mind but I'm sure there's some others.

Personally my headcanon with the names is that some ponies choose to actually change their name to match their cutie mark once they get it or sometime later, as some kind of tradition. It isn't mandatory (at least in the modern era, maybe?) though, hence the ponies who don't follow that convention. It seems like the most "realistic" explanation.

• Thumbs Up 2

So that was a pretty great episode. Gotta say it threw me for a loop a couple of times as I didn't know what they hell was going on for a good length of it (having never read the description for this one). I think the writers expertly tackled the idea of anxiety and might have even set up some future ideas for the CMCs in the process. What really surprised me was Bab actually getting her cutie mark. Kind of still gives a bit of hope for the other 3 for getting theirs on screen. Also, am I the only one who honestly thought it was Starlight messing with her? Include in the killer animation, hilarious sight gags, and Big Mac talking (seriously though, Peter New should really get more lines as him, he's great XD) and season 5 is off to a fantastic start! Looking forward to next week's episode.

*sparks*

*Stricker.exe excitement containment unit woona.0030e is overheating*

OOOOOMG LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNAAAAAA. OMG they finally did it! I mean did you see her?!?! Like omg, she came out of the fucking sky with her moon behind her and it looked all epic as shit and MY GOD her animation was fucking fantastic. Her lines didn't sound forced like before either and Tabitha really hit it home this time with her! She hasn't sounded that good since the Luna Eclipsed episode! OMG OMG OMG SERIOUSLY DHX, what the hell took so long!?! She should be in EVERY EPISODE. Like really, she is so freaking amazing. You had me going there! Going half way into the episode without even a sign of her. I was honestly getting a bit livid as I figured it was a dream episode at around that point and the fact that Luna could of been left out was... EEEEEEEEEEEH, maddening! DHX THIS BETTER NOT BE THE ONLY TIME WE SEE HER THIS SEASON! LIKE SERIOUSLY, I need more! She is the best pony! SHE IS THE NIGHT *starts sobbing happily* THE WAIT WAS SO LONG! MOOOOOOON BUTT IS HERE NOW, I'm SORRY, I just can't right now. I just caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

*Stricker.exe stopped working*

• Thumbs Up 2

CMC episodes never fail to entertain.  I guess it's because they have the most to learn and it's that much more satisfying when they learn the lesson of the day.  Also, LUNA!  YES.  More, please.  I loved the dream sequence when everyone talked in Big Mac's voice.  Reminded me of that scene when Big Mac talked more and Applejack was the one saying "Yep" and "Nope".  Also, glad I wasn't the only one who thought this when it happened:

medium.png

Overall, pretty good episode.

Honestly, CMC episodes tend to be the episodes I find myself less anticipating than others even less than Spike episodes (though his character portrayal still needs better work). I just feel indifferent towards them and that I like other characters a bit more than them. Not to mention the three tend be entrapped in the whole ‘Annoying Kid’ trope at certain times where it can be a bit cringe worthy than cute or charming usually when the plot calls for it.

Granted, however, they have their moments and episodes centered on the individual members dealing with personal problems (Sisterhooves Social, Sleepless in Ponyville) tend to be better crafted than when in a group where they ‘cutie mark crusade’ for the most part.

And speaking of Sleepless in Ponyville, how does this episode fare for me? Eh, kinda average for the most part though liked the second half slightly better than the first where the only thing I liked there was the Twittermites/design. I liked that Big Mac got more lines (still needs his own centered episode), more Luna, some of the surreal and Apple Bloom’s shadow.

I found myself kinda bored with the first half and didn’t find myself caring much about the pest pony parts (though there is a Dale Gribble joke to be had here) and DT and SS tolerance notwithstanding. Nor much about what happens when one or two have their Cutie Mark over the others. Not to mention about talking about getting their Cutie Marks together at the same time bothered me and hopefully doesn’t happen.

Again only in the latter half where it had gotten a bit more surreal with Big Mac and Luna and AB’s shadow were the only parts I liked. The whole Sweetie Belle concert being a dream felt upsetting though.

Now that we have each member meeting Luna in their own episodes, how does this rank with Sleepless in Ponyville and For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls? IMO, this has to be the weakest with Sleepless still being on top.

*Rebooting*

So yeah, sorry about that little melt down. Luna's just freaking awesome is all.

Also, HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THIS!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhxO23i0NY

Where do I need to go to fund this? Seriously, this needs to happen. It's even running on 60fps! I swear if Hasbro throws a C&D at this one...

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey guys, we have another comparison of shots between the seasons, check it out!

877635__safe_screencap_comparison_drama+

Uhhh..... I got nothing  . -.

Anyway! If it wasn't quite obvious there from the previous posts I was a bit iffy from the Cutie Mark Babs got, it's mostly because it didn't strike me as anything related to her character... Think of how Magical Mystery Cure went with all the mane 6 switching Marks and sucking at their job and acting all around weird as far as the average pony can see, Babs mark didn't fit with what I had pictured of her but alas... My head canon was not meant to be. The only real problem on all of this it's that it was done off screen and in a very sudden way which makes me worry that she's being put on a bus.

But doesn't come without positives, first of all by being something that I didn't expect it certainly opens to a lot of possible stories as to how it happened, one of the most interesting being that Rara might have gotten something to do with it. :V Not to mention all the cool fanart like this... Thanks fandom, you always find sense in things I can't... I still remember fondly of the time we found out Cadance likes tiaras.

But back into the proper episode man, I gotta say this one went on a headcanon burning spree like few others, pretty much used the dreamscape to play with many of the possible scenarios people thought at least once about what would happen if any of the CMC get their marks, will the CMC disband? Will they keep going? What if you have a talent you don't like? What if you don't know what your talent means? What if you are an Apple and your talent isn't Apple related? What if there is a creepy pony on a dark place that can steal your cutie ma-wait a minute...

878405__safe_apple+bloom_starlight+glimm

I do admit I fell for this, I totally wanted Starlight to take a part of this as little sense as it'd make...

But yeah, it seems we keep going to new places this season, the dream scenario could have easily been just the first chapter since that's what more or less the other 2 were but this one went on and on and on, the fact that it was all a dream it's kinda obvious but the journey we took was very interesting, with little details here and there that pointed the bizarre of the situation (I'm frankly amused that the electric storm summoning swarm was the less weird part of the episode), there was some inception/sandman stuff on this one and I liked it... I'd probably enjoy it more if it weren't because I'm well aware of what's going on but eh.

Speaking of the dreaming, I really like how this episode portrayed all the crusaders and their fears and insecurities, Sweetie's shyness when it comes to singing is displayed here when it shows her failing at it (bonus points for having her sister being part of the judge and being very disappointed about it) Scoots nightmare kinda hurt me a little more because she has that.... Uuhhhh... Wing condition and I keep thinking of how much she struggles with it and how one of her worst fears might be not being able to do what she wants to do because of it, the fact that the first thing the orange filly does when she realizes she's on a dream is flying is both incredibly adorable and depressing :):(:):(:):(

Interestingly enough, both Sweetie and Scootaloo's dreams hint at their talents yet Bloom had none of it, back in season 1 I'm sure we all thought she'd be an engineer a carpenter or an interior designer but lately I'm starting to think she's (as Twilight might have said waaaaaaay back there on Call of the Cutie)  all about potential, she has been show to have a lot of talents across the episodes and I'm beginning to think her talent lies in helping others to get theirs, like a teacher or something like that... I'm probably wrong tho.

At the end it was a very weird but sweet episode, it tackled several problems and threw a bunch of references and other stuff yet it didn't feel like a mess, it also has a pretty aesop: As long as you are happy with yourself, it doesn't matter who or what you are. Also, your friends and family won't hate you for being yourself... Unless you are Twist, then you are out of the show...

878177__safe_rarity_meme_screencap_explo

I'm skeptical until zap2it confirms it. Some of those titles sound fishy and not something that would come from the show.

Not to mention some of them feel very lazy and rehash such as Scaremaster (Staremaster) and Brotherhooves Social (Sisterhooves Social) to be legit.

I think they took the references from the cards and made an episode list from them. Which would mean that some of them could be legit but we won't know until we get closer to the time.

That's...actually a decent article. From Playboy no less! O_O

No seriously, it's a good read and the guy who wrote it seems to view the Brony fandom with a positive eye instead of being nasty and mocking. The ending made me chuckle.

I have to say, Playboy's article on BABScon was very well done! I liked how it approached the fandom in general with curiousity rather than an outright bashing of it.