Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

I still feel like it is too soon for a CMC episode when Bloom and Gloom was two weeks ago and this would be better placed later in the season. Not to mention with it involving AJ and Braeburn, I would have preferred it if those two were the main stars in this one. Hay, maybe if it was only Braeburn, I would have accepted it too esp. when stallions barely get any focus in the show. It just seems like wasted character potential.

And again, CMC episodes aren’t my cup of tea and the ones that I anticipate the least.

How do I feel about this episode? Kinda bordering between okay and mediocre.

The things I like are of course, is seeing more of Appaloosa and the townsfolk and of Braeburn. Troubleshoes was fine; I like his design.

The plot felt predictable and the whole ‘misunderstanding a character’ trope combined with ‘children in the right/adults in the wrong/acting irrational’ trope which I think it was handled better in other media like Paranorman, along with the whole rodeo clown. The CMC were meh yet not too bad, but I was still interested in much of the rodeo portions than those three and would like to see the story revolve around it without those three. Again, it still feels too soon for a CMC episode and this plot could have been used later on. Not to mention some of the jokes/slapstick fell flat.

So... Am I the only one thinking this is the closest thing we might get to a Derpy episode? Feels like it follows a lot of the rules we set by ourselves when talking about characters like her or the Clyde Horse. Like the clumsiness, the overabundance of slapstick or how the rest of the individuals either don't like them or mislabel them.

Yet it doesn't feel as satisfactory on this case, because when I see a character like Troubleshoes I feel like rooting for them, I want to see them truly succeed and achieve their dreams, I want to see Karma finally giving in for once and make these characters feel like they can win... Yet in this case it doesn't feel like that, of course Troubleshoes manages to fulfill his dream but it's done in a way that doesn't feel like he overcame his problems (his main, flank sized problem) but that he is just making the best out of his really sucky situation (or as Aquaman said, turning a weakness into a strength). Because really, what kind of talent is that one? If someone were to told me that my fate on life was to be a walking slapstick joke I'd nope the hay out of the world, make a magical mess that let me switch special talent or join the nearest anti cutie mark cult . -.

It's actually interesting how some episodes on this season made a favorable argument for Starlight's twisted cause. Makes you think about how many ponies are out there on the same situation as Troubleshoes, how much of them got the short end of the stick on the whole Cutie Mark thing... It also brings me back to Bloom and Gloom when a certain yellow filly thought she could end up with a talent she didn't like or being disowned from her family and friend circle... I thought that was a nightmare . _.

I don't know, Clyde looks happy on the end, but I wouldn't on that situation so I guess that's why I'm not feeling this episode.

At least Appleloosa's law enforcement system works... Sort of. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one to realise that Troubleshoes is the only character that actually looks like an actual, real life, horse?

Am I the only one to realise that Troubleshoes is the only character that actually looks like an actual, real life, horse?

Nope, I thought the same thing.

As pointed before by others he's based on a Clydesdale Horse.

The argument if he's a horse or not is an interesting one, Big Jim talks about him as a pony yet he also mentions he's even bigger than Celestia and there are other beinggs like the Saddle Arabians who have more horse like features and there is also this fella from Equestria Girls. Tho the later could be interpreted as how Trouble Shoes would look like if he crossed the portal? (That'd be funny... But I'd rather not dwell in the implications of Sunset happily riding it :U)

I felt like this episode really hit home for me. I've always been a super serious science-is-king guy, but my most apparent weakness have been the delivery, so I just end up being a poor mans Louis C.K for most of the time. It wasn't until I realized my musical abilities that I could finally could use my poor delivery to syncopate some rap and song parts to that level of "perfection". Of course, the transition was awkward as hell, but I got over it, because I realized it was just my immaturity and pride speaking.

My cutiemark is a broken vinyl record. I just have to realize that.

I think that was the message the episode intended, Apple Bloom makes clear in the middle of the episode that Trouble Shoes is missing the mark ololololololololololo misinterpreting what his cutie mark means but I don't feel they followed up through that  properly, since as far as we know his mark will keep raining misfortune upon him even if he is not on a rodeo and that kinda sucks for me.

This episode also threw the cutie mark obtaining process through the proverbial window since previously it looked like a magical manifestation of your talent which after an epiphany about what you wanted to do in your life. But on this one it felt more like he was thinking about something and the mark said "NOPE, you are going to do this instead". Kinda like Sweetie and Scoot's nightmares on Bloom and Gloom.

Some thoughts on the recent episode:

Pros:

- Nice to see Braeburn again. Forgot about the guy for a second there. XD

- Can I just take a second to point out how balanced the roles of the cmc were here. I mean, while the plot could of easily fallen on Apple Bloom again, never did one of them overshadow the other. Something that has tainted previous cmc episodes tbh.

- Trouble Shoes is Igor and I freaking love that. XD

- Wow, the law enforcement of the town was actually good for something this. Never thought I'd see that in this show.

- Have to say this episode was rather tame compared to others. Not too much happened but I think that just made for an enjoyable viewing. It did what it wanted to do and didn't try to add things that didn't need to be there.

Cons:

- I'm not entirely sure about how I feel about the moral. I mean, I love the aspect of looking at luck from a different angle but that doesn't get around the fact that the guy wanted to be in the rodeo and actually tried to work towards it his whole life. To suddenly justify the judges laughing at him (which also left a bad taste in my mouth because the guy had just gotten his cutie mark which caused him to loose focus for a sec, cut him some slack)  by trying to say his true calling was to be a clown just came straight out of left field for me. Not to mention it doing nothing for the past rejections. I could understand it better if we had actually seen Trouble get some sort of enjoyment out of other people's happiness but that was just never the case. Not sure if this is the type of moral that should be taught to kids tbh.

So yeah, that was a rather simple episode. I don't think it was bare by any mean but definitely lacked the fast pace a lot of others had before it. Gotta say, it's nice to have an episode like this every now and then. Just helps to simply expand the world. Here's the part where I would say I'll be looking forward to this week's episode but there isn't one. XD *sigh* I guess it's a good thing I put off watching this one for a bit as the wait won't be that terrible. Plus, by the looks of it, the next one is going to be a fun one!

• Thumbs Up 1

One-Liner still here? Just saw one of his pieces get posted onto Equestria Daily.

One-Liner still here? Just saw one of his pieces get posted onto Equestria Daily.

*Fluffle Puff gasp* Oh yeah, that...

channel_sketch__wild_fire_by_fuzon_s-d8s

I have not forgotten about it nor abandoned here, I just have been avoiding spoilers until I caught up watching the episode(s), so I did obviously.

To make up for my thread absence, have a couple of angry pones. :Y

starlight_portrait_by_sam_huskie-d8soqlf

angrydash_portrait_by_sam_huskie-d8sxoio

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm just gonna leave this sweet bit of animation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtMrOOtYExs

Gotta say I quite enjoyed this... and not just because it had Luna as a main character though that is awesome and more things need to do this because Luna is the best. The animation in this is quite fantastic. Those backgrounds and shading are stuff that we have yet to see from even the show itself. Though, I did feel the voice acting was a bit off at points (Dinky sounds like a full grown mare and Luna has some pretty off lines) but other than that this is really well done. Haven't seen anything like this since Children of the Night. Good stuff

Man I'm so excited about this episode! It has a lot of elements I enjoy mixed together like Discord, Fluttershy and galas.

I wonder we'll get a Discord rendition of At the Gala? I Wonder if Shy will get to spend time with the animals this time around (or will be too busy with her new friend) I wonder how Yellowquiet and her friend met in the first place... So weird to see her going out of her usual circle! That's a nice off screen development and I want fanfics about it!

I really want some extra continuity bits here (they've been doing very well in this regard so far) like some hoity toity ponies having their reservations about this 6 mares coming again but this episode in particular seems like it's going to be so full of stuff that they aren't going to be able to fit everything in... Actually, now that I think about season 1 this episode might be like a mirror as to how Fluttershy fared in the previous gala (wants to spend time with someone, can't, YOU ARE GOING TO LOOOOVE MEEE!!!) but this time with Discord as the protagonist, which can only end in disaster...

But yeah, really looking forward to the next hours! o/

After the "success" of the last Grand Galloping Gala, Celestia invites Discord for the sole purpose of ruining this one.  I get the feeling she's going to ruin every last Gala for the rest of her incredibly long life.

This episode was fun.  Probably the absolute worst time to have a Metal Gear Solid reference, but this episode was finished long before Konami shit the bed.

I think the best part about the episode was Maud making a brief return.  That part where she burned Discord was all like:

xgz9nkR.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Pros:

Cons:

-... what... Are you playing right now. Are you messing with me Hasbro? Are you telling me that you had an episode half based in Canterlot, no, based in the bloody castle and you didn't give me ONE shot of Luna!?! THE CMCs WERE EVEN THERE! NO, go back. How did this happen? Why is it always Luna!?! How is it that we know more about background ponies at this point than we do her at this point!? She's been in the show since the beginning! For the love of god writers, USE HEEEEEERRRZZZZZZZZ..... *Stricker.exe is shutting down*

*Rebooting*

EEEEEH, I-I just don't understand... *sigh* Anyway, here are the rest of my thoughts on the episode:

Pros:

- John loves playing Discord and it definitely comes out here.

- It was always fun seeing Discord on screen. I can imagine some being put off by the way he acted here (especially going back to how he was in the Season 2 opener) but I can honestly see how his actions were justified here. He's still new to the whole friendship thing so him not realizing what Flutters was doing came off as no shock to me.

- Love that we were finally able to see Discord's house. Definitely fits the character and was just fun to look at. Also, rip Mailpony.

- Smooze was a fun little throw back to the previous generations. Also, the animation on him was magnificent.

- Gotta give credit to when ever Spike is handled well. Loved how he was just doing his own thing throughout the episode.

- Sweet Metal Gear reference. Though the timing of this episode is just, wow. XD

- It's always nice to see Maud again.

- Tree Huger is such a hippie stereotype but the writers worked it so well. Almost every line she had was gold.

- As par for the course with Discord episodes, there were a bunch of great visual gags in this.

Cons:

- Well actually, I don't know if this was a con or more of a talking point. CELESTIA, what are you!? Throughout the episode I couldn't help but have this running thought in my head like "Isn't Celestia here. Why isn't she doing anything?". Then, lone behold when she has the chance she can't because her horn is... covered in goo... are you kidding me? The bringer of the Sun, ruler for thousands of years, sister to the best character ever, was immobilized due to goo. Even when one of her subjects was about to be thrown into another dimension she did nothing! Have to say, that was about to piss me off as much as Luna not being there but then at the end it turns out she was just loving every second of it... Like wow, ok sun butt I see you. Makes sense especially after the last Gala. She loves watching these sorts of conflicts and was literally trolling the entire time... kind of adds more fire for those CelestiaXDiscord shippings actually. XD Add in the little chuckle when Discord makes that jab at Twilight and wow, I may have to rethink my viewpoint of her a bit... Is this even a con anymore... idk.

- NO. LUNA. Seriously writers, what the hell?

Overall, gotta say I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Even though Luna had NO REASON to not be there, it was a fun one in it's own right.

tho I swear if they pull this shit again

• Thumbs Up 1

That was a fun episode! So. Many. References! From Metal Gear Solid to Pinkie breaking the fourth wall the writers really hit a home run with this episode!

It was great to see Discord again with his antics and yet at the same time still having that scary and chaotic side to him from his interaction with Spike to interrogating the Mailmare. It's easy to see how relatable his situation is considering Fluttershy has been his only true friend so far and his fear of losing her as a friend because someone else his come into her life. I'm glad to see more character development with him getting experience with having multiple friends.

In regards the Gala, this one was...different compared to the last one. Less formal and upper classy and having a more casual feel to it. We finally get the first appearance of Celestia in season in 5 and speaking of her, she seems a lot more loose even laughing at Discords joke towards Twilight's wings. Personally I'm glad they're showing this side of her as it makes her more of a three dimensional character and not serious all the time.

I'm really happy to see Maud again! Her deadpan insult towards Discord Was absolutely hilarious and is an example of why I love her character so much. I like Treehugger as well since I thought she was an interesting character.

All in all, a really good Discord episode with some great humor and references.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't seen it yet, I'll probably watch it later tonight.

Though, quick question... Are there as many pop culture references as "Three's a Crowd" had? Cause to be honest, I thought they got really annoying after a while. It really feels like the writers are trying to make Discord the MLP equivalent to the Genie from Aladdin, and I usually don't like that.

I was a bit nervous about this episode since I'm kind of skeptical of Discord-focused slice of life episodes, but fortunately it won me over. Between a lot of fun visual gags, Tree Hugger being best pony, Discord being a jerk but not quite as much of a jerk as he could've been (until he completely snapped at the end, but y'know), and of course the Smooze--yeah, I was very pleased.

EDIT: OH AND MAUD'S SICK BURN. Rock Horse is perfect.

Also because of course I was going to talk about this, Celly was adorable in this episode. One thing I find interesting is, even compared to her more laid back moments in the first two seasons, she was much more...open? Expressive? That was really nice to see. More of that please. And I would also appreciate more of her and Twi clearly being on more dates in the future

I haven't seen it yet, I'll probably watch it later tonight.

Though, quick question... Are there as many pop culture references as "Three's a Crowd" had? Cause to be honest, I thought they got really annoying after a while. It really feels like the writers are trying to make Discord the MLP equivalent to the Genie from Aladdin, and I usually don't like that.

There were two that I caught: an MGS reference (amazing (and completely unintentional considering how long ago this episode was probably scripted) timing considering real world events), and a shout out to The Shining (and no, not the most commonly parodied scene either).

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

- NO. LUNA. Seriously writers, what the hell?

you want to complain about your favorite princess not being in an episode?

ha

try not seeing your favorite princess for the whole season so far

thumb.png

get on my level

• Thumbs Up 4

you want to complain about your favorite princess not being in an episode?

ha

try not seeing your favorite princess for the whole season so far

thumb.png

get on my level

I don't want to be on your level. :V

Also, Cadance has had quite a few episodes considering her debut and actual roles given in each episode. I swear, half the time Luna doesn't even show up until half way through and even then is put on the back burner quickly. The same could be said for Celestia as well. I just hate that we've seen these characters since the beginning of the show and barely know anything about them.

Guys, did you know Hideo Kojima is awesome?

He retweeted the reference on this week's episode.

There were two that I caught: an MGS reference (amazing (and completely unintentional considering how long ago this episode was probably scripted) timing considering real world events), and a shout out to The Shining (and no, not the most commonly parodied scene either).

You also have to add that Discord rapid fired references to 4 different comedians on a single scene (that ended with dat Maud comment)

Anyway, I need to sleep right now so I'll save you from the wall of text for now.

And the suits were a reference to Dumb and Dumber to begin with.

Edit: Sorry, Fluttershy, you don't get to be a part of the callback conversation, you don't have any ref--

aaqslK5.png

Oh my.

Ever since the teaser for this from months back and with Discord being my favorite villain/character on the show, I’ve been anticipating this episode for quite a while now.

And this episode was a fun little neat treat.

Of course, Discord stole much of the show from getting a look at where he lives to MGS references (Yet bad timing with the crap at Konami recently) to his comedic stand up at the Gala including Maud’s comeback joke to multidimensional banishment attempt. Also, liked the Smooze and Maud as well.

There were a few problems I had with it though. I feel kinda meh and indifferent with Tree Hugger as I don’t find her much interesting and just played up the hippie stereotype. Not as interesting as Troubleshoes IMO.

Also, Celestia getting her magic nullified/immobilized by her horn by ooze is just, I mean, really writers? Hay, I can get Celestia being defeated by Chrysalis and getting cocooned, but the alicorn who can raise the friggin’ sun can be dispelled by a small amount of goo? Really?

Speaking of her, I was actually disappointed that we didn’t see Luna at the Gala. Don’t know why Celestia didn’t bring her along. Also, it would have been interesting to her interacting with others as well as reacting to Discord antics. Hay, even could have had her conversing with the CMC in the background would have been fine. It felt like a missed opportunity.

So yeah, definitely one a fun and decent episode; the one I liked the most this season so far.