Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Well that was certainly something. Like I've been doing with a lot of other episodes this season, I didn't really know the plot going into this one beyond the sisterhoof social coming back in some form (hell, I thought this was going to be another Rarity episode) so I was not prepared for what I was about to see... or should I say hear. It wasn't so much of Big Mac dressing up as a long lost cousin but really more of how much he talked in this one that shocked me. Really though, when he first starts to talk during the reveal my mouth almost hit the floor. I know this is no where near the first time we've heard him talk but I guess the idea of it was still a bit foreign to me.

As for the rest of the episode... eh, it did get a bit repetitive after a while. The cross dress plot is a bit cliché at this point and they didn't really do anything more with it. I did find it odd how this show hasn't just converted the sisterhoof social into a general sibling type of event already. I know I'm nitpicking here, but it does seems sort of odd that Big Mac felt the need to dress to try and participate given the general message the show tries to send. I know it would of meant getting rid of Peter New's female voice performance (which I can't give enough credit to) but I think it would have made for a stronger plot overall; seeing regular Big Mac participating and all.

Though, I will say that the ending couldn't have been more perfect. I love how the writers know when to get rid of Big Mac's whole "ee'yup" and "nope" routine to deliver a truly touching moment. To be honest, this part will probably go down as one of my top 10 favorite moments of the show.

So yeah, overall this definitely wasn't the strongest episode but it definitely had it's moments that keep it from being truly bad for me. I hear next week we have a CMC episode. Haven't had one of those in a while so it should make for an interesting change of pace.

... I did find it odd how this show hasn't just converted the sisterhoof social into a general sibling type of event already. I know I'm nitpicking here, but it does seems sort of odd that Big Mac felt the need to dress to try and participate given the general message the show tries to send. I know it would of meant getting rid of Peter New's female voice performance (which I can't give enough credit to) but I think it would have made for a stronger plot overall; seeing regular Big Mac participating and all.

The fun thing is, it is a general sibling type of event, Granny Smith mentions it at the beginning, Dash and Scoot manage to get in because of it and even the judges say so near the end (which made many people thinking that the old Stallion who was wooed by Orchard Blossom DID know who she really was, but I don't think that's the case) it's just called Sisterhooves because no one bothered to change the name.

Which makes Big Mac's attempt to pass as a cool sister unnecessary (unless you want to view his actions as trying to prove that he can be as good of a sister as Applejack...), the entire episode could have worked without those parts and just being about Big Mac being over eager to please and a bit awkward at that. Even tho that would put us close to a Spike at Your Service scenario so maybe Polsky wanted to avoid that? He had a part on that episode even if Williams was the one blamed credited for it.

Before episode: This sounds like the usual filler. Oh well.

Episode: Silver Spoon stands up to Diamond Tiara, her mother is a bitch, Diamond Tiara gets redeemed, the Cutie Mark Crusaders get their cutie marks, the club is repurposed to help others to discover the meanings of their marks, Applejack's parents being dead is much more heavily implied, general shit goes down.

WELP. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Fan-freaking-TASTIC episode. Loved the songs, loved where they went with the plot, loved...well...you know. ;) I don't think they could've done this ep better any other way.

Also, I legitimately teared up when AJ brought up their parents. #IAmAWimp

Edited by CC14 Soul Snatcher

As a first impression it felt like a late Season 3 episode and I don't have a favorable opinion of those (disregarding if I like or not the developments in question)...

I'll rewatch and might comment more laters.

EDIT:

Fan-freaking-TASTIC episode. Loved the songs, loved where they went with the plot, loved...well...you know. ;) I don't think they could've done this ep better any other way.

Hidden Content

Don't worry man...

AJ's parents are somewhere out there. They are the shooting stars we saw in Apple Family Reunion, they are actually asteroids who visit Equestria every 40 years or something like that and spread space, intelligent apples across the globe.

q2OclkM.png

Edited by Velvet Reindeer

They finally did it.

Not exactly how I was expecting the episode to play out honestly.  I got the feeling that "this is the one" for the CMC to get their cutie marks, but I thought they'd use their respective talents to knock Diamond Tiara down a peg in the election.  Really interesting how their marks are to help others get/understand theirs; Sweetie Belle has a music note in hers though, so I'm assuming she's still supposed to be a super talented singer.

I love how the episode gets you to cheer on Silver Spoon when she calls Diamond out on her shit and then the episode immediately flips itself on its head with DT's family situation.  They really did a nice job making Diamond a more sympathetic character.  I nominate we change "Diamond Tiara tier" to "Diamond Tiara's Mom tier" when describing rankings for the worst ponies.

Edited by Nix

Until I bother to dive into Derpi (which must be exploding right now) her name will be Unlikable Bichface to me.

Also, I just realized something, this episode is tied with....

... Appleloosa's Most wanted....

huh

Before episode: This sounds like the usual filler. Oh well.

Hidden Content

WELP. :/

What...th..FUCK!?

Until I bother to dive into Derpi (which must be exploding right now) her name will be Unlikable Bichface to me.

Her name was given in the episode, she's Spoiled Rich.

Ok, the stuff  focusing on Diamon Tiara felt really rushed and whatnot, but damn that fucking ending was so perfect. If it series ended right there, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest. 

Fuck you Status Quo.

As if this season couldn't be even more awesome, the writers came in and did this to us and on the 5th anniversary too no less!

When this episode started, I thought it was going to be another CMC episode. They'd go on some mission, learn a lesson, and we'd be teased about them getting their cutie marks. But no, we got one of the biggest surprises the show has ever given us. Yes, there were hints dropped here and there, but I ever expected it to turn out like this!

Also, this episode confirmed my theory that Diamond Tiara had a pretty bad home life as I've seen personally when it comes to bullies in real life and that Silver Spoon was just following the leader. I used to really dislike her and Silver Spoon for the way they treated the CMC, but after this episode, I felt really bad for you and am happy that both she and Silver Spoon finally redeemed themselves. I will say her Mother learning her lesson went by a little too quickly though.

Oh and as for those songs and facial expression, they really turned it up to 11 in this episode! As for that monologue at the end, it was simply beautiful and the perfectly way to wrap things up!

You know, I keep wondering how the writers can keep surprising us and how they can keep upping their game and this episode shows how amazing they can be. I seriously have to give them a big round applause and think that this was perfect timing for this kind of even to occur. Happy 5th anniveraary, MLP:FiM! 

The tried and true trope of giving unpleasant characters bad parents as an excuse for their behavior, never fails it seems. In the span of a year, this about the fourth time I've seen that trope.

I'm just glad we don't have to deal with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's shit anymore.  Out of all the characters in the show, they were easily the worst (especially Tiara), and I've been waiting patiently for the day those two got an attitude adjustment, because they were the worst and their "we're bullies with tons of money and fuck you" shtick got old by Season 1.

And they were the fucking worst.

No no, I agree they were shit and something needed to be done...I just wish it wasn't so abrupt and rushed. 

re-watching the episode, I love the dual musical theme Tiara has depending on how she acts. (especially her new theme)

Also, can i say how we dodged a bullet (more like a nuke) since...

... the one episode that happened to get leaked this season was the one where the CMC has their flanks covered?

EDIT:

998899__safe_animated_screencap_diamond+

Hey look! Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are mending fences.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHHAHA AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OHHH I KILL MYSELF..... I'm gonna investigate the wall with my face right now.... 

Edited by Velvet Reindeer
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it took the Cutie Mark Crusaders 5 Years to get their Cutie Marks, then how come, even after almost 20 Years, Ash Ketchum hasn't become a Pokemon Master, yet?! I guess Ash will be a Pokemon Master... When Grumpigs Fly!

I just realized today's the 5th anniversary of the show. What an episode to celebrate that--I mean, I was expecting that to happen at some point, but not this soon, I guess? I'm not complaining, tho'.

While the pacing was a bit off (with Diamond Tiara's development at least), I loved the episode a lot. The CMC finally got their cutie marks, and in a way that was really sweet and fitting considering everything they've done and how they've changed since their first appearances. I wish that it hadn't been spoiled for me ahead of time, but that's my fault really, and I didn't really know how they got their marks, so it wasn't the end of the world. XP Anyway, while I usually really enjoy CMC episodes, I'm glad the status quo has changed for them. I guess now we might see some future episodes where they help ponies get their cutie mark and/or figure out what it means, kinda like Appleoosa's Most Wanted? That sounds good to me.

I was basically interested in this episode solely of Pipsqueak though had to remind myself that this is CMC episode, the ones that I anticipate the least that tackles my least interesting subject Cutie Marks.

And speaking of which they finally got their Cutie Marks. Yeah, that happened.

Why do I feel indifferent and slightly disappointed about this episode then? (*Insert random insulting comment against me that I will mostly not heed to. )

Well, I’ll get to it in a bit, but some things to like are Pipsqueak (I wish he had more of a point to the overall story than just pthough), Button Mash even though disappointed in no speaking role, mentioning Apple family’s parents, and not having to suffer with more of Diamond Tiara’s crap.

As you might have guessed, pacing is quite the issue here especially with Diamond Tiara’s change of character felt rushed. The fact that this episode is a musical contributes to this problem and I wish it wasn’t. Speaking of which the music in this episode felt just okay mostly, nothing too remarkable as it felt that most of it kinda bleeds together and loses charm after a while. Furthermore it definitely felt like an episode that belongs in S3, my least favorite season, and that this episode shares similar problems with Mystery Magical Cure along with feel.

I also preferred that they received their marks separately than altogether at one time. As I mentioned previously, the episodes that focus on the individual members are usually better than the ones that focus on the crusading. I think that getting their marks individually in these kinds of episodes can show in depth character growth/development about each member along with focusing on their particular talent/s. It can lead to interesting conflicts along the way for the CMC too about possible disbanding of the group and whatnot, etc. It makes for better character progression and makes obtaining one feel unique and a greater sense of accomplishment, I believe.

Also, am I the only one who doesn’t like their Cutie Marks? I think it mostly have to do with the off tri-color scheme and that they feel slightly too identical. A bit too same-y…a bit too…

Starlight: Equal?

Me: Hush!

So mostly a disappointingly mediocre musical for me that redeems DT’s character even though she is still a character I like the least more than others, turning from a one dimensional into a ‘meh’ character I have barely much feelings for in the first place.

Edited by AdventChild

I hear next week we have a CMC episode. Haven't had one of those in a while so it should make for an interesting change of pace.

"Change of pace"

CHANGE OF FUCKING PACE

Ooh boy, I was certainly on to something here but man... I did not see anything in this episode coming.

The episode started out normal enough. CMC's obsessing over their cutie marks. Something comes along that they decide to help out with and maybe earn their marks for it. Basically your basic, by the books, CMC episode affair. I'll be honest here as I almost immediately started to chalk this one up as just another tale of the CMC's helping out someone else but not quite reaching where they need to be to get that oh so fought for mark. Hell, I though Pip (nice to see him again btw) was a shoo-in for his here but man did that third act throw me for a loop. Actually, and I know some of you will think I'm jumping the gun here a bit, I think that last part of this episode set a new standard for the show entirely.

It's a common practice in almost any show to have at least one running plot (in some cases it even becomes just a gag) that never really ends; even after the show itself does. Arcs that go unanswered as the show writers want you to find your own conclusions. Personally, I sort of find that as a cop out 90% of the time. I mean, to invest that much time in a story and not have a solid conclusion? Just seemed like lazy writing for the most part to me. To be perfectly honest, that's what I fully excepted from the CMC arc. You guys know I can optimistic when it comes to the writing of this show and I can honestly say it's surprises like this that make me so.

Though, it wasn't just the last 3rd of the episode I liked. I loved how the episode actually did the impossible and made DT a semi-likable character. I actually kind of jokingly always thought her as the ultimate villain of the series as she's the only antagonist to have been a recurring force since season 1. To find that there was a reason to all of it and to even see Silver Spoon get sick of her shit were just great moments to watch. Now I know a lot of people are going to find fault with her still by bringing up points like "your past doesn't make up for what you did" (kind of like back with Babs) but I can honestly say I like the moral here. Parents are a huge driving factor into how kids (and even some adults) behave and to teach the lesson that parents don't always know best is invaluable.

There were some things I did find fault with though. I honestly felt the pacing could have been done better as everything either seemed to drag or fly by. I swear that first song about getting people to vote for Pip went on for far too long (though I will say I enjoyed the music as a whole this time around) and the sequence of the CMCs trying to relate to TD was way too short. Even the ending seemed a bit rushed and cut together at parts.

Other than that, I have to say I was greatly impressed with this episode. I wasn't even aware they were doing something special for the 5th anniversary and I can easily say this was as great as the occasion. This episode honestly opens up so many new avenues to use the CMC in the future. To be honest, I'm more excited with the possibilities here than I ever was even back when they gave Twilight wings.

To sum everything up, great episode. XD

And with that we mark 5 years since pony became a thing. Well... I don't technically qualify since I came in about 6 months after the fact but it's still pretty cool none the less. It's kind of weird you know? Who EVER thought this show would go this far? I mean, most shows are lucky to see it past 11 episodes. Even more so a season, but 5 whole years? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure less than a fraction of cartoons ever see that kind of lifespan. Hell, I can't even guess if we're close to the end or not. Knowing this show, we may not even be halfway. Though, I'm really not going to dig too deep into that. 5 years is enough to celebrate for now.

Oh yeah, and about the ending... from my perspective...

f0s1ao.gif

tumblr_nvbgy6Vqwx1qkd8xuo2_400.gif

dlm0w9.gif

tumblr_nvbgy6Vqwx1qkd8xuo4_400.gif

Luna.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just watched the episode.  Holy Shit, ... did that just happen? It feels like a drunken fever dream, I mean I am a little drunk from a party I was at today but still. Even as the credits rolled I expected to either wake up or have Larson walk on-screen and declare this not canon. I was so certain this episode would only happen when the show got canned and all the dangling plot threads had to be tied up by the end of the current season, but there's at least another 26 episodes of tiny equines coming next year. Not only that but this episode gave us SS finally standing up to DT's bullshit, DT getting characterization and a redemption arc, the CMC earning their butt stamps(all at once no less), and the cherry on top being confirmation that Apple orphans are canon. While I expected most of these ideas to happen eventually I figured it would be spread over at least two or more episodes, which I think is the biggest flaw of the story. After 5 years and nearly 100 episodes of Diamond Tiara putting the "D" and the "T" in detestable it's hard to believe she could make a complete 180 in her personality with just 2 songs, although TBH she's actually really adorable for once in her "woe is me/first world problems" song. Still it was an amazing experience, probably what Magical Mystery Cure was supposed to feel like if the marketing hadn't spoiled that surprise. If this is AKR's final horse episode she did so like a BAMF, kudos.

Edited by DaBatGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I've watched it back a couple of times through blind reactions, and there's this one awkward vibe that it gives me;

I swear half the dialogue was just exposition on what was going on or had just happened. The worst offenders being Silver Spoon's scene and the speech near the end.

Well, first Amy Keating Rogers, who written many episodes since S1 including this recent one, had announced her departure from the show early this year, and now another FiM storyboardist veteran since S1, Sabrina "Sibsy" Aberghetti has recently announced that she is leaving the show too.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/senior-storyboarder-sibsy-to-leave-fim.html#idc-cover

Capture.PNG