Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

We also got some more information on the Guardians of Harmony toys including pricing. Apparently they're due out in the fall but I do want to bring attention to one line in particular from the press release for the Celestia and Nightmare Moon figures:

Royal sisters PRINCESS CELESTIA and NIGHTMARE MOON work together to rule over EQUESTRIA peacefully.

>Nightmare Moon

>work together

>peacefully

... did I miss something here? Is this going to be some new plot line from the comics having to do with one of those season 5 final alternate timelines or does Hasbro really not care enough about Luna to know the difference between her and Nightmare Moon? I really hope it's the former. I mean, I get that Hasbro adores their PPPs (perfect princess ponies) and that Luna really doesn't fall into that category all that well but come on now. That's season 1 (first two episodes) knowledge... I guess they maybe might be trying to age down the product details so that young kids and protective parents don't get scared off but really:

Guardians%2Bof%2BHarmony%2BCelestia%2Ban

How on earth can they ever think to pull that off. These two look like they want to kill each other and you're telling me that they're getting along better than most of the U.S.'s actual government does? lol

• 3 weeks later...

Get hype, everypony! :D

Spoiler
Spoiler

YAY! Best reformed villain's back! :D More Starlight, the better!

Apparently, this is the first two-parter to not feature an antagonist or villain. If it's true, it's a refreshing change to the formula.

Now, to a different matter.

For a while, season two was my favorite season, followed by 1, 3, and 4 depending on my mood. (Four's a better season than three, but I found it less fun and enticing to watch beyond a couple of episodes: Pinkie Pride and Testing Testing.) Season five changed that:

• Cutie Map is the best season premiere.
  • Slice of Life is a wonderful, seriously underrated, hilarious thank-you letter to the fanbase and an excellent 100th episode in its own right.
  • Season featured the best episode for Applejack (The Mane Attraction), Twilight (Amending Fences), and the CMCs (Lost Mark).
  • Cutie Re-Mark is the best two-part finale and seriously underrated.
  • The Cutie Map, Amending Fences, and Lost Mark are three of the five best episodes of the show. Lost Mark competes with The Best Night Ever as this show's best.
  • Best villain (Starlight).
  • Scare Master is easily the second-best Fluttershy episode.
  • Easily the two best redemptions of the show (Tiara, Starlight).
  • For the most part, excellent characterization for Fluttershy, Pinkie, Twilight, Spike (secondary roles only), and Applejack. I had major issues with some of the characterization in season four, particularly Pinkie Pie and Twilight. Pinkie Pie was in character for the entire year. Fluttershy and Twilight improved for the most part.
  • Prior to this season, I was a very vocal critic of the Twilicorn, and season four did no favors by shoving her role to the side and one-dimensionalizing her character for the most part. Season five took advantage of her role as Princess of Friendship (for better or worse), brought back plenty of that adorkable flavor that made her so endearing, and used her growth and maturity over the seasons to further impact the episodes (AF, Cutie Re-Mark). Twilight convincing Starlight to give the Magic of Friendship a second chance and becoming her teacher is her finest moment as Equestrian princess. At this time, season five (and portrayal of Twilight) turned me into a Twilicorn supporter, not dissenter.

Now, my order is 5 > 2 > 1 > 3 ≥ 4.

March 26?!?

Wow, so much for that rumor of a long hiatus XD. Hell, if this production schedule continues we might even see a season 7 before the movie. Honestly, if there's one thing this show has above any other animated show airing at the moment it is its release schedule. Really though, they were able to finish off a whole season hiatus in the time it takes shows like SU to put out 10 episodes. I'm not saying that as a hit to either one's quality. More as to the point that I'd wish more shows would adopt this production schedule. Release a new episode (or two with SU's 15 minute length) every week with rare gaps in between and only using long gaps to prepare a new season. No more of that new episode everyday for a week and nothing else for three months stuff. In SU's case especially, would also probably lead to less leaks.

Though back to the topic at hand, yeah, color me excited. I think the only thing we know for sure about this season is that it'll be more exploring of Equestria. Can't imagine seeing that baby for more than a few episodes. Also, while she didn't appear in any other shot, Starlight was on the train with the others which could mean one of two things. She's either going to be a heavy part of this next season (appearing in just about every episode) or she's just there for this opening. Honestly, I kind of hope it's the latter because, and this is after rewatching the S5 finale, I just don't think she's that strong a character, Here drive for basically enslaving ponies was weak and her acceptance into the main cast even more so.

Like I said before, if they really intend to make her apart of the main crew they'll need to do something drastic because, as it is now, she might be the fall of this season. I know that's a harsh thing to say but think about it. You basically have another Twilight Sparkle with her, only without the lovable egghead shenanigans (which is slowly starting to be lost with Twilight herself but that's a discussion for another post). Having Starlight around will only act as a way to show more friendship lessons, repeating the same beats as before, all while taking airtime away from other characters that have needed it since season 1. I honestly hope she just ends up getting the Discord treatment (only shows up here and there) because if not, I just don't see how the show will go anyway than what I said above.

Anyways, I'm still pretty excited to see more pony. Honestly, I think the only thing this season needs to do is finally give us a Celestia episode; expanding on her as a character and the history of alicrons in general. If the show even does one of those I'd call this season a success at this point,

Also,

Spoiler

Are we actually about to see Celestia and Luna do something together on screen?! I mean, we've seen Luna actually do her job last season but Celestia too?! Oh boy, please don't be another Canterlot Wedding!

I don't really rank seasons, but I guess this one was pretty strong,

One thing I wouldn't agree with is Starlight Glimmer being the best. I won't call her bad villain,  but m,e I would put her on 4 place at best. In fact, here's my list.

8 Sunset Shimmer: I don't need to explain, we all know she sucked. She got much better in second movie, but she's no longer a villain.

7 Nightmare Moon: She's not Loki. "Sister Vs Sister" should be heartbreaking but her 2-parter doesn't do anything with the concept (all focus in on mane six) and Nightmare Moon comes as really generic and with confusing plan (won't endless night means death to everyone?). Like Sunset she gets more development AFTER redemption.

6 Queen Chrysalis: Similarly to Luna she has very little screen time, but has advantage of having much clearer goal and cool changelings army. Plus there is IDW comics version. While NMM is just a boring meanie Chrysalis's THE meanie, with this jack-ass personality. Plus she's smarter then Mare on the Moon.

5 Starlight Glimmer: Her biggest strength is how different she is: not a evil overlord with infinite power, just a single pony, good with magic and unique motivation. Sadly she has as much weaknesses: 1 I don't buy her backstory. She never got another friend? Really? And first guy never wrote 2 Equality thing is unique but gets old. She's a one trick pony. 3 I know that she suppose to be 'a normal girl', but her design is a bit generic. Last nitpick: I don't like her name. We already have Twilight/Sunset, we don't need a third one.

4 Tirek: He's clever, menacing, has tiny backstory but most importantly he's HUGE. Sometimes you don't need complexity, you just want battle of gods, lasers, explosions and stuff. I'm not 100% sure if he's better then Starlight, but if I had to choose which of them should get one more villain episode I would choose Tirek with no hesitation.

3 Sombra: He's actually my favorite villain, but 1 Mostly due to IDW comics. 2 I don't consider "favorite" being same thing as "best". He has obvious flaws: barely speaks, never really interacts with heroes. But he has a cool design (those eyes), scary presence and he was super prepared. There is one thing that can kill him: Hide it. Remove leads, book, memories, ANYTHING that can find it. Then put it behind black magic. And when ALL OF THAT FAILS he still has one extra trap around Crystal Heart.

2 Dazzlings Mostly due to awesome songs and climatic final battle, but they had pretty good plan. They don't do much, because they don't HAVE to do much. Just giving little pushes here and there to manipulate people to do what they expect. I love that scene when Humane Six tries to "friend them" and it doesn't work. It could easily be and obvious awkward moment, but Dazzling actually turned it on fort their own advantage. Brilliant.

1 Discord. Do I even have to explain? Q from Star Trek, awesome chaos trick (my favorite was drinking a glass of juice, with glass gone and juice in place) and great plan to defeat mane six by forcing them to reject their own elements: give Rarity something she won't share, cause Pinky to despise laughter, trick Applejack into lying, his two parter might be my favorite episode of all time. He got a bit worse with time, but like with other villains, I don't  count here what happened later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again still iffy on Starlight being part of the Manes. Don't really like her that much that she is basically another "Twilight w/o Friendship" archetype like Moondancer and Sunset Shimmer. Her motivations for Equal Town and backstory I find to be very weak along with her redemption and acceptance to be rushed.

Honestly, just adding one character to the Manes doesn't really change much of the dynamic other than Twilight = mentor and Starlight = student (though I find it better when she did with the CMC and could have gotten more out of that but nope). Also, it is risking of being redundant of repeating lessons and turning Twilight into a Celestia 2.0 at this point. And I hope she doesn't take too much of the spotlight and focus this season and only appear as much as Discord.

Also, what about the ponies that saved the day at the S5's premiere? It was like they were building them up to be some kind of Mane B Team, but were completely forgotten until the finale. It would be better if she just stick to them and Ex-Equal Town which can open up to new character dynamics and interactions and have another town to develop and become a hub other than just Ponyville (and Manehattan in some cases). Not to mention it fits with this season's theme, Explore Equestria. There is a possibility that it can build up to it, but rather quickly and not till season's end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, Season 6 is coming around, and while I'm curious to see what happens, I just don't have the hype I used to whenever a new season is announced. Back then I probably would be jumping off the walls hearing that the next season is coming soon, now I'm just like "Oh, that's pretty cool, I guess"  and It's a darn shame. I don't know if it's the show that's changed or If It just wore out on me... Hell, I haven't had the motivation to watch Season 5, save for both two parters and the 100th episode.

Still, I might check out some episodes during season 6. Who knows, I might get a few surprises here and there, but I don't know If I'll be as big of a fan as I used to b

1 Discord. Do I even have to explain? Q from Star Trek, awesome chaos trick (my favorite was drinking a glass of juice, with glass gone and juice in place) and great plan to defeat mane six by forcing them to reject their own elements: give Rarity something she won't share, cause Pinky to despise laughter, trick Applejack into lying, his two parter might be my favorite episode of all time. He got a bit worse with time, but like with other villains, I don't  count here what happened later.

I admit, I'd probably like Discord a lot more if it wasn't for that reason. I don't mind characters being based off of others, but there are times where it feels like they tried to make him a ponified (Dragonified? Well, you get what I mean.) version of Q. And I know they share the same actor, but still that really doesn't help much.

Not to mention, it seems like he's become an outlet for making pop culture references, trying to take a page from the Genie from Aladdin. which I'm not gonna lie, do make cringe here and there.

That being said though, he was great villain when he was first introduced. Trickster type villains are always fun.

Wow! The season 6 premiere is a lot earlier than I thought it would be. I'm glad we're not getting a super long hiatus this time around! The whole "new alicorn can't control powers" seems rather cliche, but I'll reserve full judgement until I see the actual episode. I'm personally looking forward to see how Starlight Glimmer evolves as a character.

Don't think I've had a chance to post here yet, Pony fan myself and I'm looking forward to the new season starting this month! It's gonna be good! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Friends Forever's overall quality has been decent at least. Sure, you will get a bad issue here and there, but it's been more consistent.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same with the main comics. Since Reflections, the main series has been a major mess outside of Manehattan Mysteries and maybe one other comic. Some comics have problems of their own, but many of them share the very same issues (no pun intended wink.png). Some of them are:

1. The pacing is all over the place. The chapters themselves can be too fast, too slow, putting so much in that nothing flows naturally, or putting in too little so they have to pad it with filler. Siege is the worst arc with this.
  2. Long-established characters becoming out of character, flanderized, or both for the sake of the plot. They include:

a. Pinkie Pie acting like a random idiot, either to spout jokes or some other reason. Two of the worst examples include her being the vessel to mock people criticizing their work and being dumb enough to fall for a blatant trap that got her trapped in a makeshift jail.

b. Rarity being flirtatious "just because."

c. All of Ponyville nearly going into civil war over a stupid PLAQUE.

d. Celestia for either being useless (including Luna) or completely disregarding warnings by Star Swirl just to enter the mirror and be with Sombra there.

e. Twilight acting like a complete idiot who elects to let the ponies suffering suffer more and follow a law that defends the aggressors.

d. Flim and Flam, Iron Will, and Lightning Dust choosing to join Chrysalis and be side-villains in Siege. They would never do this; they're antagonists, not villains, especially IW. Then, halfway through, they disappear and don't appear again, degrading the whole side-plot into filler.
  3. Introducing new characters that we're supposed to care about, but the arc and characters are written so poorly, the reader can't get invested.

a. Great-granduncle Chili Pepper's absence from Rancho Bronco was a focal plot point, but how can I, the reader, care when his absence is unresolved and is backed by Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six being trapped by the idiot ball?

b. King Aspen is supposed to be someone we should root for against Well-to-Do, except WtD is a strawman (written to make Aspen look better) and Aspen and WtD are equally detestable.

c. Radiant Hope is written to be a flawed character who stuck by King Sombra through all of his trials. But how can I like her when she watched him kill so many ponies, lead the siege of TCE in the first place, and shows no guilt for her actions? To make it worse, she's a complete idiot who supposed to be looked at as naive. I hate using "Mary Sue," but she is one.
  4. Nearly every single arc features the entire Mane Six cast. Juggling with six/seven is troublesome enough, but they're repeating a dangerous habit in every single arc. I don't know why, but to thrust the whole cast when you could've used maybe two or three at the most and write a story way better.
  5. The destinations and journeys are extremely predictable in these action and adventure arcs. You know they'll face some kind of evil, and it's up to them to solve it and beat them. Nearly every single A/A arc since Reflections feels exactly the same with only window dressing to make it appear different. Therefore, the stories feel less like stories and more like virtual checklists.
  6. It feels like every single time IDW writes an A/A arc, it puts its eggs in one basket. As if in order to engage to the audience and differentiate from the show and Friends Forever, they must write grander and grander stories. Quality writing doesn't work that way. You don't need to write ultra-"exciting" action and adventure to wet bronies' whistles. By collecting so many eggs and hoping it'll succeed, the eggs crack, and the yolks bleed through the bark. Just write good stories!

Because there are so many consistent flaws in the main comics, and the comics become apparently worse and worse each time with little effort to improve, my faith for the main series sharply fell. I stopped reading the comics entirely after the 2014 Holiday Special because I haven't had time to read it, but I took the chance to read Siege of The Crystal Empire after how much it was panned.

As I read it, my heart sank. Its first four-parter arc since Reflections, and it managed to be worse than that. Cliché, but apropos: Siege was the nail in the coffin for me. Until it got consistently better, I gave up on the main series.

I took a little peak in FIM #40 (which came out earlier this week). Reading the reactions and skimming the pictures made me realize that the main series wasn't going to improve. I have less faith in it than EQG; if you follow my history, that says something.

This edit I found in EQD's discussion blog for #40 sums up its big flaw in a nutshell:

Spoiler

large.jpg

Does anyone else here feel a similar loss of faith in the main series, too? sad.png If so, do you think it'll improve?

Umm, I stopped reading IDW MLP some time ago, with exception of big arc, like Fiendship or Siege of Crystal Empire.

And honestly, I really liked everything involving Sombra.
Let's spoil the heck out of this story.

Spoiler

First of all, his origin is perfect. Tragic, but at the same time Sombra choose to be evil. Hope begged him to stop and he didn't listen. It gave him the depth cartoon Sombra really could use.

As for the main story start is...acceptable at best. I agree that this villain tem-up was forced, but to be fair they didn't knew what they signing for. They back of after they realize who they were helping... but they still team-up with Chrysalis and helped to cage Mane 6...Ok, this is example of big flanderisation. And the whole thing was just to pad the story into 4-parter.

Still, everything else works rather nicely. Art looks great and Chrysalis mean personality is pretty endearing. Twillight and the rest don't do much, but is that a problem? It's nice too see Cadance take initiative, it is her kingdom after all.

My absolute favorite part is Sombra. In cartoon his presence alone was a bit scary, now that's he's here, he kicks asses. Some shots of him look really great and his motivation gives him a lot of depth. One of my favorite scenes is when he doesn't want to open the door, being afraid that he's the only monster. That is surprisingly sad position.

And finally Radiant Hope. I admit, at first I didn't get her either. How can she keep helping monster that turned Celesitia into stones and is going to conquer Equestria, especially after she realized his kind is evil too. But at the end it hit me: it's because Sombra is her friend. She believed in him and knew he's going to do the right thing. She believed in their friendship against all the odds, which in the end succeed. And isn't My Little Pony all about Friendship conquering all? Heck, the story ends with Sombra reformed and I didn't even know that they can do that. This might be the last time when "villain reformation twist" surprised me in MLP.

Alright, so we're like 2 days out from the season premiere and just wanted to share my final major hopes for it before going in.

Firstly, I hope they continue the trend of going to new places like in 4. Ponyville is great and all, but I'm kind of hoping we get to see other places on the map as well, along with new characters. Griffonstone was the best example of this and we got to see so many new character designs. Really hoping that bat ponies get a similar treatment.

Second, I really hope that they utilize the secondary characters more. I love the main six and all, but there are some characters here that sincerely need more development and screen time; and I'm not just talking about Luna here. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, Celestia needs her own episode. She's too important of a character to have her continue to be less developed than Derpy at this point. Whether it's through a flashback episode or just a day in the life (which I'm personally hoping for), she needs something.

Third and lastly, they seriously need to do something with Twilight. Ever since the end of season 3, she's become just flat out boring. Her spectacular actions in episodes like Lesson Zero seem like they were in a completely different show all together at this point. I get that she's a princess now and should adhere to the status but you don't have to make her boring along with it. She just seems out of place with the others now. She use to be like my second favorite character in the show and now she's nearing the bottom. Whether it's making her dorkable again or giving her a new trait all together, she just needs some kind of personality before she officially inherits the title of Cadence 2.0.

While I realize that some of this is as likely to happen as winning the lottery, I think some are completely obtainable. I'd honestly be ecstatic if they were to at least address one of these things. Anyways, i really am looking forward to this season. There's a lot that could happen (especially if they're going to start leading up to the movie) and I'm expecting a ton of laughs along the way. Needless to say, while I'm hoping for certain things, I am just ready to have more pony in my life again nonetheless.

Wow, season 6... who would have thought this show would get this far? Lets get to it.

2 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Third and lastly, they seriously need to do something with Twilight. Ever since the end of season 3, she's become just flat out boring. Her spectacular actions in episodes like Lesson Zero seem like they were in a completely different show all together at this point. I get that she's a princess now and should adhere to the status but you don't have to make her boring along with it. She just seems out of place with the others now. She use to be like my second favorite character in the show and now she's nearing the bottom. Whether it's making her dorkable again or giving her a new trait all together, she just needs some kind of personality before she officially inherits the title of Cadence 2.0.

Well, more like Celestia 2.0 especially with Starlight going to be her student and all with the looks of it from the S6 trailers/teasers and I honestly hope that wouldn't happen and turning Starlight into the new 'Twilight' (or Sunset Shimmer, mostly in how you look at it) and risk being redundant in lessons and characterization. And again, it would be better if there were a Mane A and Mane B (Starlight and Sunburst and the S5 premiere ponies) to flip flop around as it would bring in new character interactions and dynamics as well as a new hub town to explore and develop. It's definitely more interesting than just Mane 6 + 1.

IMO, it feels like the whole princess (product placement) thing is being a hindrance to Twilight's character rather than develop it or that the writers just have no clue how to implement it well and become very bare bones. Not to mention just feels to forced upon Twilight's and they try to make it her entire character trait with the whole bookworm seem to be tagged on. Also does anyone remember SciTwi anymore? And no, I'm talking about the stupid Friendship Games Twilight. I'm talking about Twilight the Scientist. You know the observer, researcher and experimenter with the laboratory equipment in Feeling Pinkie Keen and It's About Time? Whatever happened to her? Ever since this whole princess crap, it seems to be shoved aside and feels very nonexistent and I miss that side of Twilight. Could have been interesting like Princess Bubblegum but nope!

@AdventChildRight, they honestly need to do something with her or bring back some of her previous traits because, as it is now, she's just flat out boring. It's killing her as a character, especially when they insist on having her be the main character in so many plot important episodes. The reason why I referred to her as a Cadence 2.0 rather than Celestia is purely due to the boring factor she's adopting. With Celestia, even though we don't see her much at all, every time she is on screen she's at least interesting to watch. As opposed to Cadence who has had four times as much screen time at this point and still manages to be less interesting. Though, with her taking in Starlight as a student, the comparisons are really one in the same. Probably going to have to start calling her Cadlestia if the trend continues.

What I liked most about this premiere was the chemistry between Spike and Starlight. Dare I say this was one of the best written Spike characters to date!

I'm still not sure what to think about Flurry Heart though. Her being born an Alicorn feels like to made Twilight's path to becoming an Alicorn herself a bit moot considering she had to earn it. Plus, her being born with all that power and not knowing what she can do falls into the "cliche" category for me since this kind of writing has been done before.

While the rekindling of Starlight's and Sunburst's friendship felt very awkward at first, eventually it came out. At times I felt like shouting "Just spit it out aleady and get on with it!"

The biggest surprise was not only seeing Twilight's parents make an appearance, but hearing them actually speak! Plus, it was nice to see Celestia get back into action again considering we didn't see much of her last season.

All in all, not a bad premire at all! I'm mostly looking forward to seeing more development of Starlight's character.

Well that was certainly something. Overall, I think I can safely say that I enjoyed it. I think the biggest pro that came from this episode was the chemistry between Starlight and Spike. I had my doubts about Starlight being included into the main cast due to her weak background and the parallels she would inevitably share with Twilight but, I have to say, this episode sort of got me back on her side. She brings an average viewer's perspective that was quite refreshing to see. She doesn't have just one trait that defines her like the rest of the cast. It's going to be interesting to see where they go with that going forward.

Also,Spike was just downright amazing here. Have to give major props to Haber for doing something that not many writers on the staff can do at this point. He made Spike an important, likeable character to the plot. He highlighted his importance and didn't even make him a casualty of comedic relief at all. Hell, I think Spike somehow even managed to get more dialogue than Twilight this time around. He definitely got more than the other main six.

As for Flurry Heart... my jury is still out on that. I liked her better than I thought I would though. Her shenanigans were entertaining to watch as her ability to keep every one of the main characters on their toes (while still laughing and not having any care at all because of being a baby) was hilarious. Though, and I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here, I just don't like the fact that she is an alicorn. Which leads to probably my biggest issue with this opener.

Does anyone else feel like the other princesses' importance just took a nose dive? It particularly doesn't help that not even Celestia nor Luna can even explain why she was born an alicorn. Hell, I feel like it's even implied that they don't even know their background themselves which is just all kinds of wtf to me. I get that the alicorn thing was played up for laughs here (which I did honestly enjoy) and that Flurry's existence is more than likely due to Hasbro and their toys but you'd that that the writers would have taken this opportunity to at least clear some stuff up. Like, maybe take a minute or two and go into just what the hell it means to be an alicorn and where exactly they all fall into that. What are Celestia and Luna? Can they be considered gods? When exactly did they find out that they could make other ponies alicorns? Are there (or have been) more? You don't even have to go into the territory of why they seem to live so long or whether or not Twilight will outlive her friends but the least they could have done was explain the basics; and not have another Baby Cakes "That makes sense, right?" moment. This plot line just became more confusing that it was before.

But that aside, I did enjoy the opener as a whole. It was nice to see Celestia and Luna (#LUUNAAA!) doing something important on screen. Also, it was great to see Shinning Armor acting outside his norm again and being genuinely funny to watch. Actually, I swear that every time he gets an appearance he somehow manages to move up my best character list every time. Cadence was... er, Cadence (can't really add much to that), and the rest of the main six were right on character.

So yeah, overall I think this opener was great for what it was. Had some nice continuity , great development of Starlight's character, fantastic Spike moments, and not to mention great humor that just made for a great time throughout. The only real thing I find issue with were just the implications it made about alicorns and how that will effect the show going forward. Though, I did have a good time watching it. Can't put a pin on it as to where it ranks with the other openers or two-parters but I will say that this was still a pretty great way to start the season!

A good pair of episodes, though not my favorite of the 2-parters it's probably the most consistent in quality. Aside from the repetitive and direct exposition which I've accepted as a consequence of writing for a younger audience I can't think of any glaring flaws. However their aren't any elements that really impressed me like Discord, "This Day Aria", or The Tirek fight did for their respective episodes.

Eh, I find the premiere to be average.

Things to like were Spike getting some better writing here and Shining Armor’s funny insomniac reactions and Luna and Celestia doing something even though it isn’t much development. Also, Twilight Velvet and Nightlight getting lines though would have prefer them to have a bigger role such as giving the royal couple parenting tips (could actually be episode potential and probably get more into backstory of Twilight’s family).

Again, I must restate how I don’t like the name Flurry Heart and prefer Skyla over it. Also, still not liking the design that feels like it’s trying too hard to be cute (and almost G3.5 like) with the big eyes and disproportionate wings and whatnot. Also, oddly enough it doesn’t fit with the rest of the ponies yet prefer Pumpkin and Pound Cake instead. I do find an eerie semblance with AleximusPrime’s artwork too (look him up) which adds to the oddness/off-putting feel of the design. Not to mention Flurry Heart’s parts I find to be really boring as it hunkers down on the overpowered uncontrollable baby cliché.

Also, Magne- er.. Alicorns how do they work? Man, does it feel like at this point that they are pulling a ton of crap out of their flanks with the whole alicorn biz. Also, it does make Twilight’s ascension feel kinda moot and slightly insignificant with a naturally born alicorn. Rather be it a unicorn instead.

Even though the Starlight and Sunburst parts were better than the baby ones, I still have some issues with it too. Such as dragging out the truth and their feelings for one another that felt rather cliché and awkwardly forced, like coming from a bad rom com.

As for Starlight herself, I’m still not on board with her and just find her to be meh. Still basically think that she’s another Twilight archetype who might become Twilight 2.0 in the near future. Also, I still think she’s better off as a recurring character like Discord rather than part of the Manes and doesn’t become shoehorned into episodes when she isn’t needed/necessary (don’t want it to be S1 Twilight all over again). And again, I would rather have flop between two Mane teams than just Mane 6 + 1. More interested in Sunburst and S5 premiere ponies anyways.

So, not really that all impressive, just an average start for the season.

Well, I'm going to be a party popper and say that I didn't liked it at all. It's probably the worst of the finales/begging episodes.

I just don't like "destructive babies" comedy. At all. And we already had something like that with Cakes, making it a 2-parter material is beyond my understanding. It's especially annoying how Flurry almost doomed us all.

Starlight Glimmer becomes more and more Sunset 2.0 (also, what's withe her mane? Someone changed it and it looks really weird). Whole deal with Sunburst wasn't technically bad, but from minute one we all knew exactly where it's going. (I will admit that flashbacks were clever, emphasizing that he's better with books then practice). There is just nothing unique about her.

I can't even care about the threat. It's more of a personal preference, but I never get exited when heroes "fight" a natural disaster.

The premiere was enjoyable.  It's honestly nice to have these more low key premieres.  They're normally hype as fuck at the time of premiere and kind of suck in hindsight, but things like this and Season 5's premiere are a nice change of pace (5 still holds up I find).

Best Princess's baby is cool, but what the hell is she doing by naming her Flurry Heart.  Oh it's okay honey, we just named you after the fucking horrible travesty that almost killed us all.  By the way, you started it, no biggie.

That said, me being the bitter and spiteful Sunset Shimmer fan absolutely loathes that we have to deal with Discount Sunset instead of the real deal for the rest of the season, but WHATEVER.

So I just remembered that it was 5 years ago to this day that I started watching this show. That's 1/4th of my life... and I don't regret a damn thing XD. Though, I honestly can't believe it's been that long. I mean, I've changed a fuck ton since then but this has really remained one of the few things in my life that hasn't. Makes it feel as though it was just a year or two ago that we were all freaking out over the season 2 final. And to think it all started from an April fools joke made by Sonic F. Boy how time flies...

This episode was a lot of fun! I absolutely loved the interaction between all 3 characters! Even though Maud has a very deadpan personality, you can tell she really does care for her sister and is very appreciative of what she went through for her which made the final scenes of the episode very sweet and why I love her character so much.