Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Have to say that was a pretty sweet episode. Can't really add to much to it beyond that. Pinkie and Maud's relation ship continues to shine and Rarity added to the story in all the right ways. It's a perfect of the sample not going overboard with the cast and only sticking to characters that are necessary to the episode. Plus, it's nice to see that Rarity's development is going even further with her opening another store. Though, I think the biggest pro for this episode for me would have to be Maud herself. Her dead pan reactions to both Rarity and Pinkie were hilarious to watch, especially towards the end.

So yeah, don't really have much to say besides it being a nice little episode. Kind of weird as this came so early in the season when this is usually the time for more bombastic episodes but it was a great watch none the less.

3 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

Was it season 6, episode 3? It popped up in my recommendations, although I mainly watch Sonic videos, TFS, CinemaSins, and Game Theory. I spend the rest of my time listening to Saiyan Blood, so I don't know why MLP appeared. Then again, it appeared as a related show on Sonic Boom, Fairly Odd Parents, T.U.F.F. Puppy, Spongebob, Powerpuff Girls, and the Puss in Boots show before.

Yeah, it's the third episode of season 6 since episodes 1 and 2 were the 2 parter season 6 premiere.

Third episode into the season and already we have one featuring fan favorite Maud Pie in “A Gift for Maud”.

I find it to be an alright episode and not a bad first episode for new writer Mike Fox (at least better than others. *Glares at Dusedau).

I liked some of the character interactions and some of the background ponies and the facial reactions/expressions. Humor was fine, despite being spotty and over the top at points.

However, the plot was rather predictable and mostly, the lesson which I could have guess with the episode’s title alone that it isn’t the gift the counts but the thought and expression. Also, you think the pony who has emergency balls and eyepatches in Ponyville in It’s About Time would have an extra party cannon lying around or have spares just in case in her secret party lair in Party Pooped. In fact, I think even EQG Pinkie did a gag with two.

Not much to say and again, an alright episode which I find better than the premiere.

Hopefully this will be it for Manehattan this season as I would like to see other locations that are never before seen.

A good followup to Crusaders of the Lost Mark. I was wondering what the CMC were going to do after their got their cutie marks and this episode did a great job of wrapping things up per se. We've got our first song of the season which was pretty good and it was great to see Bulk Biceps make a return.

Oh and I just want to comment on the voice acting of the tap dancing colt. I thought it was pretty good, one of the best young male voices in fact outside of Spike. One final note is how interesting that this episode didn't have any of the Mane 6 as it goes to show how very developed the CMC are nowadays.

I thought the episode was pretty mediocre myself, mostly from how inorganic the dialogue and situation felt. 

Eh, can't really say this was an episode I'd go out of my way to rewatch, but it definitely wasn't bad by any means. It was nice seeing where they plan to go with the CMCs. It's also great to see just how far they all have come over time. I guess this episode also confirmed the lingering question in the back of my mind about who exactly did lead the group the most (Apple Bloom). Makes sense seeing as she was the first one to be shown off (by herself) back in season 1. Guess I just got a bit thrown off over time as all of them took the spotlight at certain points (which again shows how well they've been developed).

Outside of that, I guess I can't really say much to this episode as the plot basically just didn't flow all that well and even felt formulaic at a certain point. Again, I didn't hate it, but it definitely didn't leave me with anything afterwards. Overall, it was a nice episode to set up where the CMCs will be going... but it's nothing more than that honestly.

1128215__safe_clothes_screencap_animated

Pictured: A convincing argument on why Sweetie Belle is undeniably the best CMC.

Episode was ok.  Even if Sweetie Belle wasn't the best CMC, she'd probably be the best part about the episode.  Her quoting Rarity's opinion on crochet had me rolling for whatever reason (it was probably her impersonation of her sister that did me in).  Other memorable moments include her getting an apple stuck on her horn and her spiteful reaction to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo blowing off singing lessons. 

Oh boy, here we come to the first CMC episode of the season and again, their episodes are the ones I tend to anticipate the least.

To reiterate there are some things I didn’t like about Crusaders of the Lost Mark such as getting their Cutie Marks together while I think it’ll be impactful to get them separately as they do things towards their specific talent and bring emphasis unto it. Also, still not a fan of their Cutie Mark design especially that tricolor scheme that seems rather unnecessary and look like placeholder marks than their official ones.

So how did this episode fare out? Well, not really that good unfortunately and feels all around stale and in ways redundant.

The things to like would be some of the background ponies and some of the humor along with the return of Bulk Biceps. The moral/message is fine enough as it eases them out of that crusading mindset.

The problems that stand out the most are the pacing and the unnatural progression of the plot. The plot seemed to juggling a bunch of storylines at once with knowing what the CMC’s are going to after getting their marks to finding Cutie Mark problems to solve to Apple Bloom trying things to do by herself to the colt’s performance dilemma. It just too jumbled for one episode to handle which led to things feeling quickly resolved.

Part of the repetitiveness didn’t just lie in the plotlines but how it felt like it wasn’t borrowing elements of CMC eps from the past like Call of the Cutie and even Lesson Zero how similar it felt to Twilight finding/making a friendship problem with them finding a Cutie Mark problem. Also, some of the humor misses their marks too and I didn’t find the song that memorable at all.   

So what we have is a really cluttered mess of an episode that juggles multiple plotlines that should be handled and divided into two episodes than one with unnatural flow pacing and some bad characterization. And what serves as a setup for CMC’s post-cutie marks, it sure wasn't executed well and could've been better.

Now THAT'S a Spike episode! Finally, he isn't portrayed as a total fool, but as a great character who tries his best without being selfish. I have to admit, I was worried, because every time we get a Spike-centered episode, it usually falls flat. Not this one thankfully.

It's great to see more exploration into the dragons and their culture. Granted, we've gotten a little bit of it before, but nothing of this scale.

One last note I want to make that how surprised how rather dark-ish and a bit violent it got towards the end of the episode. Yes, they had to cut it afterwards because it's a kids show and all, but still...

Oh and I want to mention how much I LOVED that end credits song. It was so fitting for the theme of the episode!

Please, writers, give us more Spike episodes like this one!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, look, a princess who isn't an alicorn, how about that.

You could practically hear the fanbase collectively gasp when news of Dragon Quest II Electric Boogaloo came about, but it turned out pretty good I think.  Ember was a nice addition to our... unique collection of dragon characters.  And by nice addition I mean she wasn't a complete idiot, and she was actually pretty cool despite being the ultimate tsundere character.

I think it's kind of weird that we didn't see much of the larger dragons competing though.  There were a few in the background, but Ember made a pretty big deal about how the Dragon Lord didn't have to be big or strong, and her direct competition was fucking Garble of all dragons.

After CMC shenanigans, we’ve gotten ourselves our first Spike episode of the season. I’m not usually excited for Spike episodes because how most of them are rather weak and often portray Spike as selfish/greedy and holding the Idiot Ball for the majority of the time.

Thankfully, this Spike episode seems to be one of the better outings for the little dragon assistant and I find it rather okay.

Things to like are Spike’s characterization, more world and lore building with the dragons along with more interesting designs (and females) and some humor at points. Also, Princess Ember is pretty likable despite being the usual rebellious ‘daddy’s little girl’ trope and a princess that isn’t an alicorn and even promoted to a higher status as well.

The only problems I had with it are how straightforward the plot is and be able to connect the dots easily. Also, there is this one phrase that felt rather off putting that is somewhat familiar: “Dragons don’t do friendship” which felt rather forced throughout the episode along with how much the moral seemed to be hammered into ep unnaturally. Adding to it, I find it similar to how the griffons look at friendship as not worthwhile even though their excuse is due to some lost ancient MacGuffin. So are you telling me that ponies are the ONLY species to practice or view friendship as a valuable/viable thing? It just feels like cheap and cop out writing for this spreading of friendship thing. Feels rather unrealistic (for a show about magic talking ponies, oh my! But still…).

Also, Twilight and Rarity didn’t do much in this episode other than cheer leading squad for Spike and they could have been cut out easily. It would be interesting to see him do it alone to express how much he had grown as a character and being independent. Also, for something that is somewhat a follow up to Dragon Quest, could have at least brought in RD so she can see the competition as she is one for that. A bit disappointed that we didn’t get anything concerning or hinting at Spike’s parents or origins, but it’ll probably be something for another episode/time.  

Despite a few problems, it is definitely one of the better Spike episodes thus far.   

This was just an exceptional episode for me. I went in not exactly knowing what it would be about other than it being a Spike episode and came out completely blown away. This season has been on point with Spike so far. He's truly starting to hold his own and his new mannerisms actually give off a sense of development over the shows life which is extremely nice to see. It's no secret that Spike has basically been the punching bag of the show for about 90% of it. Hell, some of the writers have even openly claimed to not know what to do with him most of the time. This episode both proved him to be en exceptional character and showed that he can be the main character in a grade A episode.

Firstly, can I just say how much I loved the events of this episode. I say events because the plot worked out a lot better in motion than I would have thought just reading a description of it. For one, I think the writers put themselves in a corner early on when they made the ponies have lacking knowledge of dragons. So it seems very much like cherry picking by the writers when some pony DOES know something about them. Also, I just find it hard to believe that both species know of each other to the point of where they both live and act but still don't have above basic understandings of how each other operates. But hey, I realize I might be looking too much into that and it's not like a percentage of humans are any different so hey. I only say these things because the episode still ended up being very solid in its pacing and engaging in its narrative. There were quite a few instances here where I simply wasn't able to assume what would happen next as the episode always brought something new to the table, explored ideas not seen in the show, and even supported it all with solid characters both old and new. It was amazing to watch it all play out so smoothly.

Secondly, I haven't really said anything of it yet this season but damn if the animation doesn't continually get better with each season. I was almost convinced that they couldn't push Flash past what they did with season 4 but here we are with tons of new character models and movements all on screen without me spotting a single animation error (seriously, Im going to have to go back because I just couldn't spot any on my first viewing). Also, the amount of moving backgrounds and scenery is seriously something to behold. Not many shows are able to do that.

Third, lastly, and most importantly (you all knew this was coming from me) LUUUUUUUUNNNNNAAAAAA!!!!! and celestia but Luuuuuunaaaaaa! Holly shit I was not expecting to see them in this one! I know they were probably just brought in to help explain what the hell was happening to Spike but damn if this isn't a step in the right direction with them. Just having them visit Ponyville, not for business but just to hang. Simply brilliant, we need to see more of this from them. Hopefully this isn't the last time we'll see something like this from them. Hell, an episode purely staring them seems A LOT more likely now and that's a wonderful thing!

So yeah, overall this was a fantastic episode for me. I guess the only real gripe I have with it is that the connection between Spike and Ember seemed a bit odd towards the end there with her coming back out of no where. Though, the amount of good this episode did for both Spike and the overall building of the world completely buries it. I mean really, this may just be the start of Spike having his own character arc! I actually never thought I'd even see the possibility of this. If characters like Ember come back it could easily be that. You know, with her teaching Spike dragon customs and Spike teaching them pony things; it could be great! I don't know, but I really do hope a lot of the elements in this episode become common place in the series going forward.

Quite honestly, and I'm going to have to rewatch it sometime soon to confirm this but for now, this just might make my top 10 list of episodes.

Top 10? Statements like that make me wonder whenever I have unreasonably high demands or do bronies are easy to please.

For me this episode was fine, but really predictable. I was very curious at first and I do like Ember (being smart & strong, but not all knowing, badass action chick.) but the moment gauntlet starts I knew exactly how things will go. Seeing all those dragons was kinda cool, but I already watched "How to train your dragon", thank you.

"On Your Marks" was my favorite so far. Episode is almost on meta level, with writers basically wondering  out loud what to do with CMC next. Sure the structure was sloppy, but that's the point: this is how those rascals think through the problem. I know that Crusaders aren't most popular of ponies, but I always found their naivety and enthusiasm to be very cute and endearing. (And Nix is right, Sweetie Bell is the best CMC)

"The Gift of the Maud Pie" was okay. Maud rocks and the scene where Rarity copies Pinkie is great, but they didn't had to hammer the message so much. Plus, while show arguably gets better, I laugh less and less while watching Pinkie.

14 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Top 10? Statements like that make me wonder whenever I have unreasonably high demands or do bronies are easy to please.

Well that's kinda insulting isn't it? It's probably just that they have different tastes (especially when I wouldn't even rank On Your Marks in my top 50). 

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yeah, I'm standing by that claim here man. If you don't like the episode then cool. I can't think of a single episode that doesn't have a fair amount of people that either love it or hate it. I've had my fair share of episodes that I just simply didn't like. Why can't I just state that I really liked an episode a lot without me being "easy to please"? Honestly, that kind of statement comes off as a bit vain.

Though, I am the same guy who praises Unleashed left and right so whatever I guess.

Ok, sorry if I sounded like douchebag, it's just...I do like the show, but I'm always baffled when people claim it to be best show ever. I watched every episode, yet I never felt like a "brony".

No problem man. Also, I don't think the term "brony" actually means that you think it's the best show ever. I always took the term as to just meaning that you like the show. Though, these days I think it has less and less of a defined meaning around the web. I mean, you may have not been around for it but a year or so back the term was under a lot of fire because someone started using it to refer to the part of the fandom that takes EVERYTHING to the extreme. Now people often find any connection to it as a negative one. I think it's just safer to say that you like the show rather than claiming to be a brony now since the meaning is different for everyone.

Also, I can't speak for anyone else but I will say right now that I don't think this is the best show ever. Nope, there a quite a few other shows that I would claim to be better in just about every way (Batman: Animated Series, Avatar, the original Teen Titans, ect.). Honestly, there's no clear winner there. I know my avatar and insane moon shouting could throw anyone off with me but I just simply enjoy the show. Nothing more than that. Do I think that some episodes could contend with some of the best other shows have to offer? Hell yeah, but I do realize that there are quite a few stinkers mixed in there that keep it from hitting that mark with me.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

welp, double post but SPEAKING OF STINKERS!!! Well, wait, I guess that would be a bit harsh as there were some moments in here that I did enjoy but man, did this one have me put off at points. I mean, I basically went on a roller coaster ride throughout it in terms of my feelings of it. It starts out interesting enough with Twilight wanting to show Starlight's progress to Celestia and gets even more interesting when Trixie is introduced but then things just hit a wall. It might have just been the episode's pacing but the time it takes Starlight to find Trixie and the time after they meet and getting to the show just drags with very little time for the resolution.

Quite honestly, I was just about ready to write off this episode as a bad one till like the last minute. You see, up until that point I had no idea who I should be rooting for here. You had Trixie who, even after her supposed turn to good, you knew was scheming on the side. And then you had Twilight showing again why either Pinkie, AJ, or Fluttershy would have made for better princesses of friendship than her. I mean, she doesn't trust Trixie at all to begin with and is clearly just trying to get Celestia's approval at the end of the day. Plus, this isn't even the first time she's done this. I don't know, but it just really undermines all the development she's gotten in that department and makes me question Celestia's choice as the front runner for friendship. All the while Starlight is just the poor one stuck in the middle.

It isn't until the last minute where everything tries to wrap itself back together with Trixie realizing he mistakes faster than Discord did back in Keep Calm and Flutter On. Not to mention Twilight, who was in no better of a position than Trixie at this point, somehow getting Starlight to forgive her and get herself and Trixie back together. The pacing just felt all kinds of off here and it makes the ending seem half baked as a result. What the hell is Trixie to Twilight now? They basically left them the same position they were in at the end of her last episode so I can't imagine much ground was gained here. Also, I just don't think this was a strong episode for Twilight at all. I mean, I've been pondering the idea that she's just trying to apply here egghead traits to friendship and experiencing the results of it backfiring. Not to mention her utter failure to impress Celestia (the one pony she looks up to the most) being her consequence for not giving Trixie the benefit of the doubt first off like she should have but, even then, I just think this whole episode has gone against what she has learned up to this point. Also, as a side note, what the hell was up with Fluttershy being scared of the manticore? Like, she tamed one of those things back in season 1. What gives?

Though, that was all that I really found bad about the episode. I enjoyed seeing characters like Vinyl and Depry again and Celestia getting more screen time outside of exposition is always a plus (not to mention that funny gag at the end of the episode with her). Plus, I couldn't help but notice all the neat facial expressions and lighting in this episode being top notch.

So yeah, overall I can't say I was too pleased with this one. It certainly had elements that I enjoyed but the overall plot and pacing just seemed off and ended up tripping over itself. While it was nice to see characters like Trixie again, I just don't know where they can go with her going forward. I think I can definitely say that this was the weakest episode of the season so far for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite part was how the writing staff conveniently forgot that Trixie wasn't evil, that the ending of "Magic Duel" was a thing that happened and that Twilight and Trixie actually left each other on friendly terms in that episode.  But who gives a shit, let's give Twilight the idiot ball because we need somepony to be the driving antagonistic force in this episode, oh and Trixie is still secretly evil, kind of, because reasons.

What a mess.

Twilight didn't forget about the apology in "Magic Duel" at all. Trixie brings it up immediately, and Twilight does say that she's forgiven her. Twilight's motivation isn't continued resentment of Trixie, but concern that Starlight and Trixie will be a bad influence on one another. It's still somewhat shaky reasoning on Twilight's part, but it isn't as though the writers forgot about her forgiving Trixie; It's directly referenced in the episode, after all!

Anyway, I personally liked this one a lot. Trixie completely stole the show, as she always does in her episodes, and I have to admit that Starlight is gradually growing on me. I wasn't really sure about her character for a while, but seeing her genuine friendship with Trixie here did a lot to flesh her out. The episode does a good job of making Trixie, Starlight, and Twilight all seem flawed but still sympathetic. So kudos to that.

Yeah, I didn't like it at all.
 Twilight learns to give Starlight some space (again) and her fright of Trixie is really forced. Then again, Trixie is forcefully evil again, so I guess it's balances out. But we need happy ending so last minute everyone says "sorry" and we have group hug.

Also, way to go putting to very similar character together, why don't you let Sunset join. We'll call them "recycled plot crusaders"

(Lastly, I'm still bothered by Starlight's mane).

EDIT: I got  a question: how is it possible that Starlight is so bad making friends? Didn't she convinced entire Equal Village to join her little religion? She didn't used hypnosis or anything, just her silver tongue. Doesn't that count as "making friends" (remember that ponies from that town now consider her to be their friend).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so not sorry here, 'cause I have a huge bone to pick with the climax in this mess of an episode.

Until No Second Prances, Princess Luna's admission to self-harm during Magic Sheep was the darkest scene in the show. A flawed princess couldn't figure out any way to forgive herself, so she created the Tantabus to torment her. To say it's creepy is an understatement.

That changed when No Second Prances aired. Just before her grand event, Starlight and Trixie fell out, and Trixie went into a state of hopelessness. She felt there was nowhere for her to go. Second chances. Third chances. Gone. She could've stopped her stunt, because she can't teleport, and being digested by a manticore meant certain death unless someone else was there to help. But she went ahead anyway knowing fully she can't escape by herself.

So why the hell didn't Starlight or Twilight try to stop her before she shot out of her cannon?!!

Her life was in danger. She was giving up! Trixie admitted to attempting suicide, and neither one of them bothered to get involved even though they can hear her. If Twilight didn't tell Starlight the moral, who knows if Starlight would've gotten involved in teleporting Trixie out of the manticore's stomach in the last minute.

What if Trixie successfully killed herself? Twilight and Starlight would've been consumed with guilt for the rest of their lives. Starlight won't deserve title of Princess Pupil, and Twilight the Princess of Friendship. Twilight would've been partially responsible for the suicide of someone who parted with her on good terms. Twilight forgave Trixie; there was no reason for her to not trust Trixie and sabotage Trixie's friendship with Starlight. She's the Princess of Friendship; it's her damn job to think about the implications of her actions. She didn't and almost cost Trixie her life. And she stood there and watched Trixie verbally quit.

Yesterday's climax is the worst scene of season six so far and the cherry on top of this terrible episode.

The hell with No Second Prances!

• Thumbs Up 1

Already with No Second Prances I have a bit of a bias for with it starring ponies that I feel meh/indifferent to and not much of a fan of, Starlight and Trixie. So it’s definitely an episode that I’m not really at all anticipating at this moment. And honestly by the episode’s title, thinking it’ll be about Twilight learning how to dance actually sounded more amusing to me than the synopsis.

So does this episode make me like them more? Not really, no.

Okay, I liked Big Mac and Vinyl Scratch’s (thinking deeper DJ P0n-3 isn’t that good) parts along with some of the reactions.  

My real problem stems with the plot. The usual pacing issues exist esp. near the end and the predictability of the plot. But most of the all, what really infuriates me is the setup for it:

Trying (or rather FORCING) to make a friend with Ponyville within ONE FRIGGIN’ DAY!

*Sigh… Twi… Twilight, you do realize that you made a Trollestia move on your student AND on yourself? Your Celestia 2.0 is showing. You, Princess of Bucking Friendship, should realize that making friends would or should require more time and be a Work-in-Progress type of thing that gradually and naturally develops. You should know!

Also, why does it have to somepony from Ponyville? Why not just invite Sunburst or even anypony from the ex-Equal as it seems they’re now on better terms in the S5 finale? Isn’t that good evidence enough as a friendship progress report? Doesn’t that count for something? You’re asking way too much of your student, Twilight. And again, your Celestia 2.0 is showing.

It just makes the plot seem rather forced and in a way, kinda ruined the entire episode for me and it would be better without. Speaking of Twilight, she does have cringe worthy and somewhat OOC moments and acting rather hypocritical. It’s like a lot of character development was pretty much thrown under the bus to have this kind of plot to work. Not to mention even though being Great and Apologetic yet still act like a jerk for no other reason to Twilight just to show up or smite her. Even though events of Magic Duel are mentioned, it feels like nothing has been learned from that episode or that it didn’t leave any lasting impression on both of those characters. Continuity felt completely disregarded here.

Starlight seemed to play much as the victim during Twilight’s and Trixie’s tug of war and a bit of a plot device. She did have her Twilight 2.0 moment during the first have when finding a friend in a bit of panic. Still, didn’t do much to make me like her other than already establishing being good at magic and used to be a dictator and used it in a way to gain sympathy points from her by making other characters unlikable even with some of the town’s citizens just to force her to meet Trixie.

And just to add, um Fluttershy, you know you calmed and helped a manticore in the first episode without any show of fear, right? No?

It’s a really weak episode that I honestly dislike because of a badly paced and forced plot with a handful of character derailing moments esp. for Twilight.

What a great episode if not the.bedt episode of Season 6 so far! It's also one of the funniest episodes of the series too.

I loved the interaction between Starlight and Trixie! I have to say I'm a bit surprised that the show got away with the scene that made it look like Trixie was going to allow herself to be eaten. I'm sure the writers didn't mean to make it look like an attempted suicide, but given the 2 choices Trixie had to face, it gave off that impression. 

You have to feel a bit for Trixie towards the end, because to her, Starlight was the first "true friend" and while, yes, she made a mistake with her manipulation, you can feel her regret towards the end and it had a great resolution.