Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

20 hours ago, StrickerXmas said:

So um, another massive heads up guys. Apparently another major leak is currently in progress (like files are still coming at the time of writing). For those of you very weary of spoilers, might want to avoid most places for the time being.

The current list includes things like:

- The entirety of Season 8 episode descriptions (also starting to see some gifs of new scenes popping up now too so they might have some full episode files now...)

complete with...

Reveal hidden contents

a new intro, movie is officially canon

Update: Confirmed full, unfinished episodes are out there. Not just gifs anymore.

- Possible second movie information

- Future series production timeline

- Some EQG stuff... don't know if it's a new movie or anything

- Possible G5 concept art

Hide contents

Apparently Season 9 is going to be the final season for FiM with a full reboot coming in late 2019-2020.

So uh... yeah, some pretty big stuff. Again, take it all with a grain of salt as we really don't know if it's all real (I imagine the season 8 stuff at least is seeing as actual animation is coming out of that). Just use caution is all.

Tho... for those who don't really care I need to geek out about something in one of the season 8 episodes here.... (SPOILER GIF BELOW)

Reveal hidden contents

1513477388168.gif

YOOOO, we getting dat Celestia episode bois!!!!!!

Is it confirmed if EQG will end after FIM?

Just now, ShadowSJG said:

Is it confirmed if EQG will end after FIM?

Not that I know of. I haven't really seen much of the EQG stuff though. All I know is that there are a lot of shorts coming.

19 hours ago, StrickerXmas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The "reboot" aspect of the leaks is surprising to me too. While MLP in general is no stranger to complete re-imaginings... it looks as though G5 is about to use the same cast of characters just with different traits. It's really odd. I was expecting G5 to be a lot more different. Though, this is all REALLY early so who knows at this point. I mean, compare what FiM was going to be in its concept art to what we have now. For all we know, none of what's being leaked could make it to the final product.

Spoiler

Yeah, the problem I have with this reboot or shall I say rehash is that it has that stench of corporate executive/market meddling with making things too similar to G4 with slight tweaks as if to capture lightning in a bottle twice by doing almost the exact same thing. Also, from what I've heard of making it 'girlier' and appealing to new generation of pony fans sounds like they are disregarding or basically breaking away from and alienating the brony fandom/influence that made FiM popular in the first place, not to mention it being a very risky move while regressing the show to a state of quality of gens pre-G4 and possibly losing that gender neutral feel it has.

Even though it's conceptual and things might change (if these were to be true), they don't have much appeal to me or strike me as uninteresting. And this makes me very upset as I was hoping for the next gen to keep up with the same feel as FiM and maybe go beyond with more action/adventure base or at least a spinoff geared towards the older/brony fanbase and a gender mixed cast (which I'm still somewhat hopeful). Again, it feels like Hasbro might as well shoot themselves in the foot for abandoning the peripheral demographic by going this way.

As for season 8, seeing how it'll there is going to be much emphasis on this Friendship School, it sounds kinda boring to me. Don't we have enough of this school crap with EQG? Hay, what about doing more with Cherilee's class but focus less on the Cutie Mark stuff as it has been done to death now?

On 12/16/2017 at 11:03 PM, StrickerXmas said:

As for Twilicorn... eh, I've personally just mellowed out on it. I was not ok with it in the beginning (mainly because it totally destroyed her character in the seasons to follow) but now I've just sort of accepted it. Especially considering that she's actually now been an Alicorn longer in the series than she was a Unicorn. Plus, season 7 and the movie saw some interesting moments for her so I'm just hopeful season 8 can follow through with that.

Starlight though, I honestly never hated her. Her disconnect from the main six in most cases is something I actually find pretty amusing to see more often than not. She's become less of a Twilight 2.0 and more of her own thing. I really only hate her backstory which, to this day, is still pretty damn stupid.

May I ask why exactly there seems to be such vitriol over these things?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

May I ask why exactly there seems to be such vitriol over these things?

Well, both of these things mark big changes to the show's norm. Change in itself is often cause for concern in most.

Twilight was no longer some quirky bookworm but, instead, shoved into royalty in a single episode. Ever since that point she's rarely ever been able to show those interesting traits of hers as she's "expected to be a princess" now and has been given less screen time entirely. It killed a lot of what people liked in the character and didn't really add anything substantial to boot. Add in that this was right after Faust's departure from the series and it really did rub people the wrong way.

As for Starlight, well again, I'm probably the wrong person to ask seeing as I don't actually hate her. I guess there are a couple of things that could set people off with her. For starters, she's another reformed villain which is something people have been growing tired of. Another reason could just be her overall character and weak backstory. As it stands, she does take a lot from season 1 Twilight in being an OP unicorn with off social habits (and a similar name) so people could be weary of that (not to mention this being the second time it's happened when adding Sunset into the mix). She's also been given a lot of screen time which, in a series as crowded as this one, can often rub fans of less seen characters the wrong way. Add in that she stumbled her way into the main cast (it really should be called the main 7 now) and there are quite a few reasons people seem to resent her.

Though, again, I don't so I could be totally off here.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, StrickerXmas said:

As for Starlight, well again, I'm probably the wrong person to ask seeing as I don't actually hate her. I guess there are a couple of things that could set people off with her. For starters, she's another reformed villain which is something people have been growing tired of. Another reason could just be her overall character and weak backstory. As it stands, she does take a lot from season 1 Twilight in being an OP unicorn with off social habits (and a similar name) so people could be weary of that (not to mention this being the second time it's happened when adding Sunset into the mix). She's also been given a lot of screen time which, in a series as crowded as this one, can often rub fans of less seen characters the wrong way. Add in that she stumbled her way into the main cast (it really should be called the main 7 now) and there are quite a few reasons people seem to resent her.

It also doesn’t particularly help that depending on your perspective, her post villain stories that try to show how she’s redeeming herself are often considered somewhat shaky due to a mixture of either there not being enough showing a believable reformation, or just relies too much on telling rather than showing and thus coming across as character shilling.

For comparisons sake, Discord’s reformation in Season 3 was considered pretty shaky too, but he at least had the strength of his character to help tide him through that, and his post villain episodes up to Twilights Kingdom showed that he was only reformed in name and still retained most of what people loved about him in the first place, and that he was still a massive wild card. As a result, when he turned for real/completely in the Season 4 finale it was arguably much more acceptable/believable.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, StrickerXmas said:

Well, both of these things mark big changes to the show's norm. Change in itself is often cause for concern in most.

Ah, but of course.

Twilight was no longer some quirky bookworm but, instead, shoved into royalty in a single episode. Ever since that point she's rarely ever been able to show those interesting traits of hers as she's "expected to be a princess" now and has been given less screen time entirely. It killed a lot of what people liked in the character and didn't really add anything substantial to boot. Add in that this was right after Faust's departure from the series and it really did rub people the wrong way.

Oh, suppose that does make sense. It's also worth noting that Magical Mystery Cure was originally written as a two part Series Finale, which contributed to how rushed and compressed the episode we got was.

22 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

It also doesn’t particularly help that depending on your perspective, her post villain stories that try to show how she’s redeeming herself are often considered somewhat shaky due to a mixture of either there not being enough showing a believable reformation, or just relies too much on telling rather than showing and thus coming across as character shilling.

For comparisons sake, Discord’s reformation in Season 3 was considered pretty shaky too, but he at least had the strength of his character to help tide him through that, and his post villain episodes up to Twilights Kingdom showed that he was only reformed in name and still retained most of what people loved about him in the first place, and that he was still a massive wild card. As a result, when he turned for real/completely in the Season 4 finale it was arguably much more acceptable/believable.

Okay, it's been a while since I sufficiently ponied, but looking back, I'd say most of Starlight Glimmers flak comes from a combination of not being Sunset Shimmer, questionable writing choices, and the occasional tendency for the story concepts with her to just try a little too hard. Not to mention the afformentioned being a wasted villain and the rushed and badly timed reformation, not to mention the presentation giving everyone the wrong idea.

Personally, I've since gotten past the hamfisted redemption and just accepted her, though it helps that I actually find most of the stuff done with her to be somewhat interesting. Though with that said, Equestria Girls 5 is probably the one time where I took issue with her usage, or rather, everything around how she was used.

31 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Ah, but of course.

Oh, suppose that does make sense. It's also worth noting that Magical Mystery Cure was originally written as a two part Series Finale, which contributed to how rushed and compressed the episode we got was.

Okay, it's been a while since I sufficiently ponied, but looking back, I'd say most of Starlight Glimmers flak comes from a combination of not being Sunset Shimmer, questionable writing choices, and the occasional tendency for the story concepts with her to just try a little too hard. Not to mention the afformentioned being a wasted villain and the rushed and badly timed reformation, not to mention the presentation giving everyone the wrong idea.

Personally, I've since gotten past the hamfisted redemption and just accepted her, though it helps that I actually find most of the stuff done with her to be somewhat interesting. Though with that said, Equestria Girls 5 is probably the one time where I took issue with her usage, or rather, everything around how she was used.

While I no longer watch the show because I lost interest and I stopped liking magic, it seems some of the problems fans have with  Starlight is similar to Sally Acorn (mostly both being kind of creator's pets) 

23 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

While I no longer watch the show because I lost interest and I stopped liking magic, it seems some of the problems fans have with  Starlight is similar to Sally Acorn (mostly both being kind of creator's pets) 

Really?

So now that I've had a chance to digest everything, I'll give my thoughts on the leaks:

-It was only a matter of time until the current series would come to an end. Personally, I'd rather see it end on a high note rather than being dragged out for the sake of it and it risking declining in quality because of it. Yes, it'll be sad when it ends, but it's a series that a lot of people including myself will look back on due to how influential it was.

-Season 8 is certainly quite a change a direction with that friendship school concept. I'm also not surprised that the movie is canon and they're implementing elements of it into the show. Also, bonus points for Celestia being so adorable in "Horse Play". I thought "Mean 6" and "Molt Down" were really good episodes too!

-There's not much I can say about G5, especially since this is early concept art anyway. We haven't even gotten through the rest of Friendship is Magic yet anyway, so I think it's best to focus on that as of right now. Especially since so much can happen between now and then.

On a final note, Hasbro and DHX, where is your security in all this? All of the leaks to happen over the show's history, this is the biggest one yet and one I'm sure they're not happy about and I definitely someone or several people are being fired over.

Since we're in a bit of a lull for the moment while waiting for the next Season, I think I'll repost these old questions for discussions sake:

On 10/23/2017 at 10:53 PM, DabigRG said:

Here are some neat questions:

Who are some of your favorite characters and what sticks out about hem?

Who are some of your least favorite characters and why?

What are some character traits or plot points that you think could make any character more interesting/enjoyable if they were explored?

Are there any characters or even episodes you feel could be combined?

I may answer them myself when I get the chance to put thought into them again. I also wanna do a post about the Movie now that I've finally seen all of it.

Merry Christmas, everypony!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so looking back at a post/conversation I had on a greater related tangent six months back, I think enough time has past for me to put this out there:

What did you think/feel about Juniper Montage?

And for that matter, how have most of the more recent villains/antagonists fared?

16 hours ago, Skye said:

hello, i hope this is okay to ask but does anyone know when new MLP FiM episodes are coming out?

I'm not finding an exact date. The only benchmark is "2018," which obviously doesn't mean much right now.

A few of the episodes(or at least nearly complete versions of them) were leaked online a while back, iirc. So the wait shouldn't be too long.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a topic I've been thinking about a number of times recently: Sunset Shimmer (and to an extent, Starlight Glimmer, if you wish).

What did you think of her potential as a villain vs. the actual execution?

What is your retrospect on the fruits of her redemption(or reformation in the latter's case)?

Do you enjoy where her character has progressed or would you have preferred if they stuck with the original concept?

Bonus questions(as in, they came up and you can answer any of them if you feel the need to): How do you feel about the trend involving the concept of Evil/Shadow/Anti-Twilights? How do each of them rank with you? How could any of them have been done differently? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 8:02 PM, DabigRG said:

What did you think of her potential as a villain vs. the actual execution?

What is your retrospect on the fruits of her redemption(or reformation in the latter's case)?

Do you enjoy where her character has progressed or would you have preferred if they stuck with the original concept?

Bonus questions(as in, they came up and you can answer any of them if you feel the need to): How do you feel about the trend involving the concept of Evil/Shadow/Anti-Twilights? How do each of them rank with you? How could any of them have been done differently? 

I am a bit biased, as Sunset Shimmer is my favorite character from the equestria girls series. however i can answer these to the best of my ability. i felt her potential as a villian as high, as we as viewers had never seen or heard of her before if i remember correctly. she had a good potential to have good backstory. i felt it was executed well, if a bit rushed near the end of the first movie. i very much enjoy where her character has progressed, because since sci-twi has now been through the same sort of experience, sunset can guide her along the right path and help the others so they do not fall in the same situation. i do not know what you mean by the last question. i very much liked midnight sparkle and her appearence in the movies, in fact the song dedicated to her in legend of everfree that sci-twi sings is my favorite in the series. the only thing i would change  is the cheesyness of the friendship games ending, but eh. it's my little pony, what are you gonna do about it?

Okay, since it's on my mind again, time for me to finally comment on My Little Pony: The Movie:

Note: If you haven't seen it yet and care about spoilers, please avoid this post!!!

Spoiler

I think the movie is  a number of degrees above okay, but not quite sure if I'd say good. I don't quite agree with the general reviews that it's your standard cartoon adventure movie but the movie definitely felt like it was trying to be that. Let's get into why as I talk about each of the characters for a bit:

Twilight, Pinkie, and Rainbow get the most spotlight here, as expected. And for what it's worth, I really do like what the movie does with Twilight, which is rightfully the most substance. (Though I will get to why it wasn't some of it later) Pinkie seemed more than a bit flanderized here for plot purposes and she got just a little much at points. And Rainbow Dash is Rainbow Dash, even getting to sing a song. Rarity at least gets a friendship with Capper that would've been more emphasized originally. And finally, Fluttershy noticeably gets the least to do in the movie plot, character, and song-wise, with her offering to talk with one of the Storm Guards being the most notable thing she gets to do. Also, We GOt THis Together was hands down the worst song in the movie; it's grown on me somewhat recently, but it's kinda hard to like a recurring stanza and title that sounds like a redundant Shadow in Generations.

As we move into the Movie original cast members, let me reserve this spot specifically for Sia-Pony or, should I say, Songbird Serenade. I'm actually kinda glad this movie properly made me familiar with Sia's existence despite her...questionable wardrobe.(Is it bad that I think Songbird looks much better than the picture I've seen of the real deal?) I actually kinda like how shamelessly thrown in she is in the story, given it gave her some brief but funny characterization. Rainbow(the song, not the characer) is a little out of place here, but it is a nice song; I still like To be Human more, though.

Capper is one of (if not THE) most developed of the new characters and Klugetown also gets quite a bit of screentime and establishment. I remember hearing there was some controversy around him being a Thieving Cat-person voiced by Taye Diggs, but aside from his bits of sniveling cowardice(which was understandable given who he was dealing with), he was a somewhat cool character for what he was. I'm the Friend You Need is the most competent song in the movie; it just wasn't anything special. Kinda wish we got a little more of Verko and maybe that little Ferret-boy, but ah well.

Captain Celeano and her crew of Pirate Parrot-People are one of the worst examples of how the movie barely spends time on much of its material. The ponies just stow away on their ship, find the ponies, stop dealing out sentencing for a lunch break before Rainbow convinces them to break away from the Storm King again. Even worse, there's five of them total and yet we don't learn most of their names. Time to be Awesome is a sillier song than the one after it, what with it's partially orchestrated sea shanty motif and Rainbow trying to apply her memetic reputation to it for an inspirational song. And despite kinda get the feel they were probably going for, I can't exactly say I like it. The fact  that it doesn't really end properly along the lines of the other songs doesn't help.

Finally, we meet the apparently long awaited Seaponies, who are actually transformed Hippogriffs. Which seems kinda confused mythologically speaking, right? Princess Skystar managed to not seem annoying and was in fact quite endearing, with Kristen Chenoweth really getting in on the role. And I hear Queen Novo kinda proceeds Admiral Holdo  except she played a relatively minor role that was played slightly for laughs. In fact, I hear the Hippogriffs and their new home are considered very underutilized outside of their backstory and participation in the song. Though it's worth noting that they was originally supposed to show up during the final battle.

And can I just say that One Small Thing is my actually favorite song in the movie. It's another Die in a Fire situation: the lyrics are ...well, kinda nothing, but the music is amazing! This weird Jazzy Big Band on Broadway number with Little Mermaid instruments and a random Gospel bridge is a really weird, but really snazzy. There's a lyric video on Youtube with corresponding renders--plug in some decent headphones to it sometime! Fun fact: Those two [amber and cerulean] seaponies that dance with Applejack, Fluttershy, and each other were originally supposed to be Skystar's sisters, but this was left out of the movie to help emphasis on her loneliness.

And last but certainly not least(somewhat), let's talk about the Villains! Tempest Shadow is definitely the Heavy of the movie, as she is where most of the immediate threat and darker conflict comes from. The Storm King and especially Grubber are pretty wasted, though.

Not sure what the consensus is after the movie actually came out, but I ultimately didn't really care for Fizzlepop Berrytwist didn't being the type of personally who's normally pretty [word for willing to be give chance/slack] about certain/debatable things. It already didn't help that we've already had, like, 6 Evil/Shadow/Anti-Twilights of various colors, mindsets, and threat levels throughout the series, but her implied greater vision that was shown in the trailers isn't expanded on and her reformation was not only predictable, but kinda tacked on.

The Storm King was the first true villain we'd had in quite a while, is this weird Baboon-Satyr hybrid with opposable hands, is comedic in demeanor like Discord and some of the lesser antagonists, has an army of Storm Guards and Airships backing him, and later turned out to be based on a very obscure G1 villain. And yet, he was practically a joke in terms of what he actually gets to do in the movie. First off, let me give a history lesson: I actually managed to find most of the prequel comics before the movie came out. While the Storm King's was the most entertaining, I got the vibe that the comic was specifically written in a way that tried to cover over the movie's minimalist establishment/development of him. And seeing the movie with the comic's context in mind before or afterward actually kinda makes things worse since his pragmatism and selective intimidation factor is near non-existent in the movie proper. He only gets a potion/spell call after Tempest completes her conquest of Canterlot and doesn't show up in person until just after. After he creates the Tornado-Storm, he essentially grabs onto the ViIlian Ball egregiously hard, doesn't seemingly because he simply can, and doesn't actually get to do much real fighting after the other Mane Six show up. And then he ends up essentially dying when Tempest blocks his attempt to hit the main six with a Stone Orb in close proximity to him and he falls off the Castle balcony to the ground. Man, that sucks. He was the character I was really looking forward to, too.

And finally, Grubber the Hedgehog is even more wasted than the Storm King himself and even Queen Novo. Why? Well, during the long period before the movie came out, I visited the TVTropes Character page on occasion just to get some idea of what they would be like. And in contrast to the fact that Grubber seemed to be(and honestly pretty much was) a pretty random and superfluous character, his descriptions made him sound somewhat interesting: He's technically a member of the Storm Guard, was picked for his job specifically because he was too lowly to bother having ambitions of his own, is meant to be an Evil Counterpart to Spike to compliment Tempest, and, most notable of all, is the closest thing Tempest has to a friend in part because he doesn't fear or reject her. You'd think he'd get a fair bit of prominence in part due to having scenes with the them. NOPE! He's just kinda there to keep Tempest on schedule(again, like Spike), provide some comic relief in her scenes, never really interacts with anyone else much less Spike, and then just kinda disappears from the movie right before the Final Battle begins.

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Hide contents

And finally, Grubber the Hedgehog is even more wasted than the Storm King himself and even Queen Novo. Why? Well, during the long period before the movie came out, I visited the TVTropes Character page on occasion just to get some idea of what they would be like. And in contrast to the fact that Grubber seemed to be(and honestly pretty much was) a pretty random and superfluous character, his descriptions made him sound somewhat interesting: He's technically a member of the Storm Guard, was picked for his job specifically because he was too lowly to bother having ambitions of his own, is meant to be an Evil Counterpart to Spike to compliment Tempest, and, most notable of all, is the closest thing Tempest has to a friend in part because he doesn't fear or reject her. You'd think he'd get a fair bit of prominence in part due to having scenes with the them. NOPE! He's just kinda there to keep Tempest on schedule(again, like Spike), provide some comic relief in her scenes, never really interacts with anyone else much less Spike, and then just kinda disappears from the movie right before the Final Battle begins.

TVTropes, like with many other things, is a really bad source of information and predisposed expectations for the series. Its MLP pages overanalyze everything to tangential and sometimes downright unnecessary degrees, and the site can have a tendency to skewer viewer attitudes in certain ways.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

TVTropes, like with many other things, is a really bad source of information and predisposed expectations for the series. Its MLP pages overanalyze everything to tangential and sometimes downright unnecessary degrees, and the site can have a tendency to skewer viewer attitudes in certain ways.

I'm pretty sure most of that was primarily based on information given by official supplementary material, though. And since this is a series/product like MLP, you better believe there was gonna be supplementary material to digest.

Like, Grubber essentially being an Evil Spike is obviously a connection the site editors made, given the brief commentary from his VA, but it's still a pretty obvious one to make given the setup. And as I mention with Tempest herself, it doesn't help that the show really has operated along that general characterization/storytelling mindset several times.

In other news, holy crap, I really was wiped when I decided to post that! Cut sentences, points that blur into each other, and I didn't even bother with a final verdict.

So season 8 is apparently set for a March 24th release.

If the leaks are anything to go off of, this is certainly about to be an interesting one.

Just now, Strickerx5 said:

So season 8 is apparently set for a March 24th release.

If the leaks are anything to go off of, this is certainly about to be an interesting one.

Huh. A few days after my birthday.

Here's an interesting video that not only hits on much of why I didn't really care for Tempest, but also addresses the villain redemption trend in general.

On a side note, anyone else kinda expecting that Season 8 may end with

Spoiler

Queen Chrysalis fusing with whatever was possessing the Pony of Shadows?

Lily Peet's great. Can be intimidating at first due to how to-the-point she is and how harsh (for lack of a better word) she can come across, but ultimately she has reasons for presenting herself as she does, and the content is better off for it.

Helps that she's been vindicated quite a bit recently, especially in light of the Toonkritic scandal. 

17 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Lily Peet's great. Can be intimidating at first due to how to-the-point she is and how harsh (for lack of a better word) she can come across, but ultimately she has reasons for presenting herself as she does, and the content is better off for it.

Helps that she's been vindicated quite a bit recently, especially in light of the Toonkritic scandal. 

Eh, I'm a bit on and off with her content. Like honestly, her tone is perfectly understandable when it comes to the important stuff but as far as her thoughts on actual content goes... yeah, not a fan. I get the whole being unapologetic thing and not having to state that "this is just my opinion" bit after each sentence but even then most of her content just feels overly cynical at best. Not really something I like to listen to on my off time but really comes in handy when something happens in the fandom (though admittedly I still try to stay out of it all for the most part).

Makes Jim Sterling's content seem like flowers and rainbows in comparison. XD